Lazy Trophy icons?

SuchRemorse

1 hour ago, SuchRemorse said:

I look at them almost every day. I mean were ARE on a trophy site right? Don't you look at your stuff or other peoples stuff when you check their profile?

They're PNGs, my guy.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SuchRemorse said:

I look at them almost every day. I mean were ARE on a trophy site right? Don't you look at your stuff or other peoples stuff when you check their profile?

Not really. While i am working on a game sure, maybe if i need to check a description but ultimately i don't care what other people have on their profile. I don't check anyone's often. 

• Like 1

This was my exact first thought too! Very disappointing to see.

The game has such a gorgeously beautiful art direction, it’s frankly criminal that the trophies are such ugly, basic icons that don’t even reflect the theme of the game.

I hate to use the word lazy, but it definitely shows a distinct lack of care & effort to me. So many games manage to create amazing icon designs that perfectly fit with the theme. Then there is this, absolute bare minimum - the exact same icon showing the game’s logo endlessly copy pasted down the whole list in 3 colours.

Tbh I can’t help but compare it to Monster Hunter Rise’s list, which I’m playing right now. In Rise, each one of the 50 icons is completely unique, a miniature work of art in itself, & all in a Japanese calligraphy brush style painted onto a scroll, that perfectly matches the theme of the game. The difference in the level of care & attention is very stark.

10 hours ago, Biscoito18 said:

It's a big deal for me. This shows that the developers don't care enough about the entire product.

Seriously ? 

Nice to get nice trophy icons but at the end of day it don't matter squat as long as the trophies pop and are not bugged.

Edited by sephirothdude
  • Like 2

It’s not that big a deal but I personally I like when developers put in the effort to make nice trophy thumbnails. MediEvil had funny and very pretty thumbnails, Death Mark had trophy thumbnails done in a way where the default order of trophies formed bigger pictures. Those were awesome and I still remember them. It was a joy to get them just for that reason.

• Like 2

If it's for a game I like or enjoy it does disappoint me a bit cause I like to get one trophy from it with a cool picture and name for a milestone/kilometerstone. My first experience of it was Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. Many trophies in that series are like that. I think Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap and the Collection/Anniversary Collection are the only ones with unique icons. 

8 hours ago, ZankaiPowaa said:

People who call developers "lazy" for things like this just don't know how game development works. They directed resources elsewhere. Their designers were probably busy working hard on the game itself. It's imaginable trophy icons aren't top priority when getting a game finished.

Ok so indie games that have less than 10 people working on the game can manage to make nice trophy icons. You mean to tell me that a AAA title by a well established company can't devote SOME time to making a few icons? They definitely have the resources and money. This is just lazy on the Devs part. Maybe they didn't care but it has nothing to do with resources. Not at this level anyway. The thing that makes a AAA game in the first place is attention to detail and making ALL aspects of the game/icon/advertising/support in the first place. That's what makes it AAA. Not just saying oh... they didn't have time or they wanted to focus on something else. I'm not saying icons are THAT important. But it definitely would show they care more about their project instead of slapping the same generic icon across all trophies.