Very likely an unobtainable platinum if you don't own a genuine Dualshock 3

hopeseinberg

4 minutes ago, hopeseinberg said:

4 of the executions require sixaxis functionality, no way to disable it in settings either so the trophy for performing all execution styles isn't possible without a genuine Dualshock 3. I have searched for workarounds online but no luck, if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears tho. 

Not to state the obvious or to be mean spirited....but buy a genuine DualShock 3 and don't buy a knockoff controller on eBay?

I have this game and I guess when I get to it, the only way I'll know I don't have a genuine controller is if SixAxis doesn't work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hopeseinberg said:

4 of the executions require sixaxis functionality, no way to disable it in settings either so the trophy for performing all execution styles isn't possible without a genuine Dualshock 3. I have searched for workarounds online but no luck, if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears tho. 

Have you attempted it with a Dualshock 4, which is also supposed to have sixaxis functionality?

52 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

Not to state the obvious or to be mean spirited....but buy a genuine DualShock 3 and don't buy a knockoff controller on eBay?

I have this game and I guess when I get to it, the only way I'll know I don't have a genuine controller is if SixAxis doesn't work.

Could be wrong, I think it's getting almost impossible to buy a genuine DualShock 3.  I don't think they're being manufactured anymore, retailers don't carry them new, and buying them used from anywhere is no guarantee since knockoffs are just unabashedly branding themselves as Sony now and looking as convincing as possible.  Almost can't even blame retailers or sellers at this point for saying they're genuine, no one really knows the reals from the fakes (not counting the obvious fakes, there are all kinds out there).

I just remember trying to get a real one was very difficult last time I tried and it was many years ago.  Still not terribly convinced the ones I ended up buying are real.  I have to think it's worse now.

I'd love to be wrong though since I still have a PS3 and may want/need new controllers at some point.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, POEman553 said:

This is much easier said than done. Buying authentic Dualshock 3 controllers is getting very difficult these days, and wading through the endless pages of fake sellers and knockoffs posing as genuine can make it quite an exhausting endeavour.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dieselmanchild said:

This is much easier said than done. Buying authentic Dualshock 3 controllers is getting very difficult these days, and wading through the endless pages of fake sellers and knockoffs posing as genuine can make it quite an exhausting endeavour.

It's pretty easy imo, places like eBay just look for ones where they show you the inside. Lots of seller groups on social media. A few shops to buy from as well like CEX, they test controllers before buying them. 

OP if you don't want a DS3 there is a few 3rd party controllers on Amazon that support Sixaxis. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Lots of seller groups on social media.

I just went through this process a few months ago and In my experience, sourcing them locally through social media, classified ads, or places like pawn shops and used game stores has definitely been the way to go. 

Ordering online can be too risky imo. The market is completely flooded with fakes to the point where even the genuine sellers often have them and don’t even realize it. You can find them on EBay course, but there’s always a risk you will either buy a fake or be unhappy with the product you receive. Buying locally at least means you can inspect the goods before purchase.

Finding and purchasing legit and working DS3s has become a big pain in the ass and unfortunately it’s only going to get harder as time goes on.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

It's pretty easy imo, places like eBay just look for ones where they show you the inside.

The inside of what, the box?  I've seen fakes that print Sony's branding and model information on the backs of the controllers so I'm not sure how you can tell for certain anymore.  I think the way I did it was to find some non-eBay images of the backs of authentic controllers and look for discrepancies in photos in the "authentic" eBay ones... but it got too confusing between different models of authentic DualShock 3's and the fakes.

19 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

The inside of what, the box?  I've seen fakes that print Sony's branding and model information on the backs of the controllers so I'm not sure how you can tell for certain anymore.  I think the way I did it was to find some non-eBay images of the backs of authentic controllers and look for discrepancies in photos in the "authentic" eBay ones... but it got too confusing between different models of authentic DualShock 3's and the fakes.

Inside of the controller obviously lol. Good sellers will show you the inside to show it's real. Spotting a fake is extremely easy imo, once you know what to look for it's just obvious. The main thing they always get wrong is the font whether it's wrong or misaligned. I suppose it depends where you live but for me it's very easy to get one, I have a CEX just a 5min walk away that has about 30 official ones in stock. 

• 2 months later...

I have a solution for you guys… not just for this game but for future controllers. https://retrofighters.com/our-collection/defender-wireless-bluetooth-playstation-3-playstation-4-pc-video-game-controller/ . I’ve been using it for 3 months now. Only issues I’ve noticed is the controller turns off after maybe 5 mins of non activity. And I’ve noticed when it does turn off, when you turn it back on to resume, the camera starts moving on its own… I turn off and turn the controller back on to fix it. Oh and I believe it doesn’t work on safe mode or whatever it’s called. Not sure if it’s offerings regular updates either. If they fixed those first two issues, I’d be glad. Good controller with the future in mind. Feels like the switch pro controllers.

Ironic to see this post. Those controllers are definitely hard to find. When i was searching a year or two ago, It seemed like 90 percent of them online are fake. They even come in dangerously identical sony brand packaging and everything. Best bets buy a used one from gamestop and since its used its 7 day guarantee return if its not legit. Its ashame theres do much knock off crap everywhere. 

Edited by Camokidd87

• 1 month later...

Brook Wingman XE lets you use other controllers on PS3 with full functionality. Been using it for a while and I use a PS4 controller. Sixaxis/Rumble/Ps Button everything works. I know the struggle of trying to find a legit working PS3 controller and thankfully there are better, cheaper, easier options.

• Like 2

I am having some issues completing the last two motion censored executions, throw against the wall and the table slam. I’ve been using a Japanese crappy unofficial for the game up till now, I managed to pull the earlier ones off somehow with some difficulty but I just can’t get these, so ordered a ps3 used official controller from eBay, so I just hope it works or it’s going back. The things we do for trophies..

Edited by Ghost_of_Ziggy

• 1 month later...

Can I at least beat the game with a third party controller?

long story short, my og DS3 broke, I bought a random controller just so I could still play, then never felt the need to buy an original DS3 again

just wondering if you can actually play this game, unlike the first game, where you need an original controller to get through the tutorial and actually play the game

• 2 months later...

I mainly use a Dualshock 4 for my PS3 games, and only have one remaining Dualshock 3. The left D-Pad button doesn't work though, hence why I use the DS4. Platinum'd SAW II awhile back and dealt with this same issue, where the balance beams required the Sixaxis gyros or you'd fail every time. I only use my DS3 for that type of instance now, andhave long given up on trying to find an authentic additional one

• 6 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 8:02 PM, Jimiboss98 said:

Brook Wingman XE lets you use other controllers on PS3 with full functionality. Been using it for a while and I use a PS4 controller. Sixaxis/Rumble/Ps Button everything works. I know the struggle of trying to find a legit working PS3 controller and thankfully there are better, cheaper, easier options.

Glad I found your post, Sixaxis wasn't working on my old DS3, so I bought a XE1 for 30€ , and can confirm that everything works fine with my DS4. The way to go if you can't get a functional DS3 :yay: