Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin

Abby_TheLastofUs

Ninja Turtles + God of War + AAA budget? Ummmm...yes please!

I didn't read this comic, but I know of it...so I won't spoil who the surviving Turtle is...but I know he takes on the abilities of the other three (as well as his), so the gameplay writes itself right there. I'm intrigued. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Oh, and don't check out the link if you don't want any spoilers because the article does reveal which turtle survived and you play as, which might be something the game keeps secret for a while like the comic did.

The comic only kept it secret until the end of the first issue.

In any event, as a massive TMNT fan, I've wanted a good AAA TMNT game in forever. Come to think of it, I've never actually played one. My two favorite storylines are City at War and The Last Ronin, so I'm stoked for this.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

F1q-Uv8-JXo-AId8-Ni-1.png

Who is the Last Ronin? In a future, battle-ravaged New York City, a lone surviving Turtle embarks on a seemingly hopeless mission seeking justice for the family he lost.

From the minds of the creators of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and based on the best-selling comic book event by Eastman, Waltz, Bishop, Delgado, and the Escorza Brothers: the official video game adaptation of TMNT: The Last Ronin.

Coming to PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S.

Edited by ziggypossum
Cowabunga!
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

games are starting to skip ps4 etc. Rumor is even Modern Warfare 3 will be PS5/XBSX/PC only. 

The rumour was that it wasn't coming to Xbox one because Microsoft didn't include it on the website, they have now. It was confirmed to be coming to PS4. Sony's tease trailer says PS5 & PS4. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

The rumour was that it wasn't coming to Xbox one because Microsoft didn't include it on the website, they have now. It was confirmed to be coming to PS4. Sony's tease trailer says PS5 & PS4. 

oh! my mistake. Could have sworn i saw an ad state just this gen. 

• 5 months later...

After reading both The Last Ronin AND The Last Ronin: Lost Years, these are the things I hope to see incorporated into this upcoming game:

M-rating

The story is gritty and set in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic world. Even the original 1984 graphic novels weren't aimed at kids. Leo flat out decapitated Shredder in a two-page spread. And while the 1987 cartoon was aimed at kids or I probably wouldn't have become a fan, this story is very much like Old Man Logan and subsequently the 2017 film Logan.

Linear story

Look, I love an open-world game as much as the next gamer, but not every game needs it. The Last Ronin is a story about one Turtle on revenge, starting off with training and then going on a long trek to eventually find some peace. No need for him to get caught up in some stupid fetch quest for some minor side character.

Bright, neon colors with a cyberpunk feel

If you've read these books, the future, while being a dark, desolate, depressive setting has bright vibrant colors with neon signs and office buildings lit up. Think Cyberpunk 2077.

All four Turtles make an appearance

It's called The Last Ronin for a reason, but that doesn't mean the other three don't appear in some form and the way they pull it off is very well done and the banter between all of them is great and enjoyable to see.

Multiple fighting styles

The Last Ronin has gathered up his fallen brothers' weapons, so he can use close combat with Raph's sais, range using Don's bō, deadly precision using Leo's katanas and wild energy using Mike's nunchakus. In addition to these four weapons, the Last Ronin also utilizes a grappling hook which, in video game logic, is often used to swing across ledges/gaps or climb cliffs/walls or reel in opponents for a sucker punch and he uses tonfas and smoke bombs and shurikens.

These are things I wouldn't mind seeing:

Equal parts stealth and combat

I know that when it comes to games, unless it's specifically a stealth game like Splinter Cell, players don't like to be forced into stealth sections. Let the player decide if they want to sneak through an area/level or if they wanna be "a little too Raph."

Large level design with multiple paths

If you're a Ninja Turtle, the concept of staying invisible is key so finding alternate paths above or below guards is also key. Let players explore.

My biggest dilemma:

The Lost Years

A sequel series called The Last Ronin: Lost Years was released to kind of explain the events leading up to and following The Last Ronin. During this story, the Last Ronin faces a new adversary in the past while four new heroes embark on training in the present. The original story for The Last Ronin ended with pure fan service. So much so that I cried. It was 30 years in the making. (Co-creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird thought up this story idea way back in the early 90s.)

The Lost Years ended with the story wide open for additional stories to be told. And while I don't always agree that every game needs a series or a sequel, if The Last Ronin does well, I'm not completely opposed to the idea of a second installment, but don't try and bundle both The Last Ronin and The Last Ronin: Lost Years into one game.

• Like 1