Hate The Combat. Dislike The Game. Another Rant By Yours Truly.

MrTacoNinja

That was indeed a long rant, but an interesting read nonetheless. I'm mostly surprised over the fact you didn't touch upon the more sensitive topics out there, such as character assassination, modern speech and forced representation.?

The next time you decide to rant, don't do so by apologizing for letting us wait or for any other reason for that matter. Instead of being sorry, be better.?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mellenthin said:

That was indeed a long rant, but an interesting read nonetheless. I'm mostly surprised over the fact you didn't touch upon the more sensitive topics out there, such as character assassination, modern speech and forced representation.?

From what I saw in the trophy list, he hasn't finished the game. So this probably a rant in progress. ?

But why is it that every time there's a character any different from the standard videogame trope, people say it's forced representation?

• Like 3

It ticked me off how the game presents Freya as a worthy opponent to Kratos when they fight, claiming that she almost kills him but is stopped by Atreus, only for her to be a complete NPC as an AI companion. The only impactful AI companion was Brok, as the 'hold square' power for him would insta stun most enemies, but unfortunately we only had him for a bit

14 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

I'm not going to argue with any points you made about the game but I will take small issue with you claiming to want "raw action" but then can't win these fights on Easy mode. 

Who said I couldn't win? I never said that. I'm over halfway through the game, have defeated 7 of the 12 Berserkers and have completed the Combat Challenge Arena (Muspelheim Crucible). Besides, what does a person that craves raw action and not winning have to do with one another? Did I miss something here because that comment confuses me. 

14 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Not only that, past Kratos was so edgy and insufferable with his 3 lines dialogue, ugh.

Lol, true.

14 hours ago, Squarevii87 said:

You wrote all this and you didn't like the game,imagine IF you did liked the game,you will be writing a book 

Nah, I wouldn't have wrote anything. I just like to blow my top on here when shit's frustrating me instead of throwing my controller. 

14 hours ago, Darth_Krid said:

Haha, good to see you back TacoNinja. Always enjoyed your rants on PST even if I didn't always agree. This time however, I share many of your frustrations. Loved the original games, and though I get why they changed it up a little (got to have that cinematic Sony exclusive AAA story) I don't necessarily enjoy the modern games more despite their obvious dramatic qualities. I did really enjoy 2018 I must admit bar the lack of imaginative bosses, but I found Yak of Bore: Ragnarok to be a sretch too far. I just found the combat less engaging, the story even less so (I just can't care about Atreus no matter how much they desperately try; the whiny uninteresting kid I'm meant to see as a more important protagonist than fucking Kratos!) and it's just infinitely more tedious.

The Atreus section(s) killed me off, I haven't been back to the game since November after that painful, painful yak section. Fuck the yak.

This post made me laugh. I agree dude, those Atreus sections man. Ugh.

14 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Huge God of War series fanboy here. I'll get straight to it. I hated 2018 and avoided the latest one as it's more of the same. It's not God of War anymore and I don't like it.

I agree. 

13 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

To me Kratos in previous games seemed like a child with a bad case of temper tantrum honestly, so to each their own I guess 1f609.png I just finished the game today, also on story mode - combat is annoying at times, lock on is useless most of the time, true. But the difficulty is definitely a 'you' problem I think. The only time it got a bit tough on story mode was when I tried to fight a berserker on lvl5 (or 6 maybe?). If you leave berserkers alone until post-story, they'll be much easier. With Surtr set and weapons maxed out, they're just like normal enemies with a bit bigger health bars. The last one actually does a bit of damage and you have to do some parrying/dodging to win but it's nowhere near the Sigrun fight in GOW 2018. 

Also, the parry window is pretty generous. 

As for the game... I liked the story, the gameplay itself is mostly okay, but at this point it's a "Sony game" the same way Far Cry is a "Ubisoft game". 

That was funny, lol. Yeah dude Kratos didn't like not getting his way. 

Maybe that's part of the problem, taking them on when my equipment and weapons aren't fully maxed. I didn't think it would matter much on EASY mode but clearly I'm wrong. I got 7 of the 12 killed so far though.

My ass it is, lol. I find you have to be pretty damn quick once you see the yellow rings radiating out of the enemies. 

13 hours ago, Mellenthin said:

The next time you decide to rant, don't do so by apologizing for letting us wait or for any other reason for that matter. Instead of being sorry, be better.?

I agree that I've had better rants in the past, funnier rants. Maybe I'm losing my touch?

13 hours ago, Eblait said:

From what I saw in the trophy list, he hasn't finished the game. So this probably a rant in progress. ?

I'm over halfway done. Rant in progress? Ha! Possibly. Who knows, lol. 

13 hours ago, kevao97 said:

Are you the same guy who made a huge bicthing thread about GoW 2018, and at the time everyone hated you?

I have no idea. What site, here? I searched the forum pages for that game on this site and couldn't find anything. I searched PlayStationTrophies.org as well and came up empty. Do you have a link? These are the only 2 sites I would've bitched about it on.

Edited by Stevieboy
clean up

The game wouldn't have worked with the original camera and gameplay. In my opinion, it was a good decision. I'm not sure if the sequel (Ragnarok) was a good decision since it I haven't played it yet, but I'm satisfied with how the story continued. It was a masterclass of how to give humanity to a character who acted basically like a muppet, and as much as I love the classic gow games, this Kratos felt so much more experienced and better. 

It's easy to the the inspiration from TLOU, and it isn't bad, The Last of Us is one of the best games of all time and taking inspiration from it is logical. Change was needed to continue.

• Like 1

I can’t really comment on ragnorak as I haven’t played it yet but o loved 2018.

It’s ok if people don’t lke the new direction . Clearly you didn’t . And it’s likely they will continue with this direction in tje future .

frankly , o have trouble going back to the older games . They are sofull of toxic masculinity and misogyny.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 4

This should surprise nobody. 

Corey Balrog, the director of these new abominations, also had a large acting role in Ascension, the only OG GoW game I hated. Dude is a talentless hack soyboy who has no place in the entertainment industry. That can be said for a lot of people in western entertainment right now. 

They even soy'ed up Teal'c. My man Christopher Judge was a testosterone filled manly man in the 90s and 2ks. Now he cries at video game awards shows. Ugh. Teal'c would not be amused. Indeed.

• Like 1

Maby you guys need start realise  you need gear up you go cry from Valkyrie for sure in place complaining about everything i have news flash maby you need try make game if think so easy because old gow only hack and slash to make sure must check i not did new ones yet but not because dont like main reason have huge back log over 1000 games that even not play al even 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cy1999aek_maik said:

It ticked me off how the game presents Freya as a worthy opponent to Kratos when they fight, claiming that she almost kills him but is stopped by Atreus, only for her to be a complete NPC as an AI companion. The only impactful AI companion was Brok, as the 'hold square' power for him would insta stun most enemies, but unfortunately we only had him for a bit

Dude I completely forgot about the relic ability the AI have, lol. Oops. 

7 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

I thought this sequel was a huge letdown myself. I didn't enjoy it at all. Literally fell asleep a few times trying to get through it. The story to me was awful.

Lol. I've never had that happen to me. What happens to me in that situation is I don't boot the game up often and when I do it doesn't hold my interest for too long. That's how Ragnarok has made me feel thus far.

7 hours ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

This should surprise nobody. 

Corey Balrog, the director of these new abominations, also had a large acting role in Ascension, the only OG GoW game I hated. Dude is a talentless hack soyboy who has no place in the entertainment industry. That can be said for a lot of people in western entertainment right now. 

They even soy'ed up Teal'c. My man Christopher Judge was a testosterone filled manly man in the 90s and 2ks. Now he cries at video game awards shows. Ugh. Teal'c would not be amused. Indeed.

Aw man, really? That sucks. I actually liked that game. I liked every GoW game accept for the last 2 installments.

7 hours ago, KILLERMACHINE666 said:

Maby you guys need start realise  you need gear up you go cry from Valkyrie for sure in place complaining about everything i have news flash maby you need try make game if think so easy because old gow only hack and slash to make sure must check i not did new ones yet but not because dont like main reason have huge back log over 1000 games that even not play al even 

Dude, this isn't to bash you, I swear. But... huh? 

16 hours ago, Xillynoc said:

it's unfortunate to be so wrong

Can you expound on this please?

Edited by Stevieboy
clean up

Gow are great games al respect if dnt like them but old gow of course we al love more was not personal but see if game get released even is perfect they stil try break it down  gow new one al work with gear they  throw in other style but i not hate style but from what i read you break a lot games of wel idnt know you even like anything i get tyred of people break games of why nothing wrong with it is ofcourse there many games can better but is what is 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:
Does anyone else long for the old Kratos we used to have, the rage-fueled murderous maniac, and not this anti-war and fatherly pussy we have nowDo people like this new version of Kratos and actually prefer the direction they took this character in?

To be clear, I've only played the 2018 game, but this is essentially the only point in the post I significantly disagree with. While it was a total blast to wreak havoc as young Kratos with respect to gameplay, I nevertheless found him to be an eminently unlikable, unsympathetic, mass murdering lunatic. Their attempt at character development in the new games is laudable, and it's impressive just how well they've succeeded, considering what they had to work with was little more than a screaming psychopath. Daddy Kratos is okay in my book. That's really where my praise for the reimagining begins and ends, however.

It was... fine? Like, a very nice-looking game, ridden with modern design tropes, which made a lukewarm impression on me throughout. Suppose I couldn't stop comparing it to the sheer fun I felt back in the flashy, character action game days of the franchise. Been a while, but I particularly remember disliking the climbing bits, since there was nothing actually at stake—you might as well give me a button that teleports me the top of these rock walls, if there's no way to fail, 'cause this is a waste of time. And, yes, having AI characters constantly patronizing you with tips is irritating beyond belief. At least in Hellblade (a game with similar combat), they made the hint system a part of Senua's auditory hallucinations, which only added to the experience for me.

Funnily enough, it was my fellow soyboy, Barlog (not Balrog ?), who wrote and directed my absolute series favorite, God of War II. But, like many game developers, the man grew up—y'know, had kids and thought it was the most profound life event ever, which heavily influenced his art. Thus, the dadification of games finally came for Kratos. It's... okay, just not exactly my cup of tea. What I've come to want and expect from a game titled "God of War" is hack 'n slash mayhem, not The Last of Us: Action RPG. Strongly doubt I'll play Ragnarök, unless it ends up in the PS+ catalog, and I have nothing better to do.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StraightVege said:

To be clear, I've only played the 2018 game, but this is essentially the only point in the post I significantly disagree with. While it was a total blast to wreak havoc as young Kratos with respect to gameplay, I nevertheless found him to be an eminently unlikable, unsympathetic, mass murdering lunatic. Their attempt at character development in the new games is laudable, and it's impressive just how well they've succeeded, considering what they had to work with was little more than a screaming psychopath. Daddy Kratos is okay in my book. That's really where my praise for the reimagining begins and ends, however.

It was... fine? Like, a very nice-looking game, ridden with modern design tropes, which made a lukewarm impression on me throughout. Suppose I couldn't stop comparing it to the sheer fun I felt back in the flashy, character action game days of the franchise. Been a while, but I particularly remember disliking the climbing bits, since there was nothing actually at stake—you might as well give me a button that teleports me the top of these rock walls, if there's no way to fail, 'cause this is a waste of time. And, yes, having AI characters constantly patronizing you with tips is irritating beyond belief. At least in Hellblade (a game with similar combat), they made the hint system a part of Senua's auditory hallucinations, which only added to the experience for me.

Funnily enough, it was my fellow soyboy, Barlog (not Balrog ?), who wrote and directed my absolute series favorite, God of War II. But, like many game developers, the man grew up—y'know, had kids and thought it was the most profound life event ever, which heavily influenced his art. Thus, the dadification of games finally came for Kratos. It's... okay, just not exactly my cup of tea. What I've come to want and expect from a game titled "God of War" is hack 'n slash mayhem, not The Last of Us: Action RPG. Strongly doubt I'll play Ragnarök, unless it ends up in the PS+ catalog, and I have nothing better to do.

Dude, I really digged your post. Very insightful. Thanks for sharing this. 

Edited by Stevieboy
clean up
  • Like 1

Hey, Mr Taco Ninja. I will get back to posting my thoughts here on the game after I have played and completed it. But don't hold your breath.

I expect that to be around the year 2028, because I am only just now playing GOW 2018. I'm 5 years late on that one. So, you can sorta see a pattern here.

What amuses me is that after reading your comments, and not even having seen Ragnarok, I have a feeling that I'm gonna agree with you 100%.

See ya in 5 years. That is if planet Earth is still here ?

Edited by TheDarkKratos

4 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

You know how your own replies make you look to people without a horse in this race? That someone ranted about a game you like, and that you immediately make it personal because you can not handle that.

Either read what he wrote and object to it with your own arguments, or just move on. A faux TL;DR and recommending therapy is just an obnoxiously annoying and immature thing to do.

For real dude! Well said!

4 hours ago, TheDarkKratos said:

Hey, Mr Taco Ninja. I will get back to posting my thoughts here on the game after I have played and completed it. But don't hold your breath.

I expect that to be around the year 2028, because I am only just now playing GOW 2018. I'm 5 years late on that one. So, you can sorta see a pattern here.

What amuses me is that after reading your comments, and not even having seen Ragnarok, I have a feeling that I'm gonna agree with you 100%.

See ya in 5 years. That is if planet Earth is still here ?

This post cracked me up! Bravo!

Edited by Stevieboy
clean up

Lolwut, the combat in this game is fantastic. The fact that it is so demanding is what makes it incredible. I have beaten the game on "Give Me No Mercy" difficulty, including defeating the Valkyrie Queen and all the berserkers. You can't rely on button mashing and luck. It requires skillful dodging, parrying, and counter-attacking. Your timing must be on point. That's truly the best aspect of combat-related games.

So I guess it's a skill issue in your case. Mad cuz bad.

• Like 2

I haven't played Ragnarok, but you summed up my experience of God Of War 2018 perfectly, incredibly.

I played GOW 2018 on Easiest setting as at the time I was in a hurry to play through the game and finish it so I could start another game that was coming out.

I saw the platinum rarity and thought oh cool, I'll be through this game in a few days (like the previous games) and this game has won awards and shit, so I'm in for a good time, right?

I remember thinking omg, "Whiny skinny dude" is such a shit and annoying character I keep encountering, the shittiest protagonist I can think of and probably the worst first boss battle on any game I can ever think of.

I couldn't wait to get into the game and fight an epic boss! This game is gonna be so much cooler than GOW3! And yet it's just this guy for most of the game.

And then it never happens. Oh it's a golem thing again, this time it has a big stone as a weapon, last time it was a club. It's like the same enemies.

It's also probably the hardest "Easiest" game I have ever played. Killing those Valkyries, can't imagine how much harder they could have been, they were tricky enough on Easy, infact Easy feels like the regular difficulty setting.

Game lasts for 3 hours, no seriously. Then you have 40-60 hours of collectables with an ingame map that is so piss poor. Oh i'm in a new area but there's all these "red doors", guess I need to somehow find my way back here when I get "open red door ability", which will be many hours later and I have no fucking idea how to get back, and now I finally find it.. but inside these red doors I find blue vines..... guess I will need to come back here when I get "open blue vine door" ability. If you have to watch a 15 minute youtube clip on a laptop from start to finish right next to your screen in order to find various treasures, you know you fucked up on the minimap.

And then, between each island, spend 20 seconds jumping in and out of the boat where the head (best character in the game) will say

... oh where was I?

Anyway, I was talking about that time I shat in Zeus' mouth

.... anyway we'll pick up this story later.

Oh cool, this game has no loading times?! Awesome. Instead I'll enjoy the incredible non stop gameplay of running around in a big circle in this spooky blue foggy area which is definitely part of the story, or I could just stand perfectly still and the magic door appears anyway right in front of me.

"Boy" will shit his pants each time the door appears anyway, despite the fact we're just stood still and there's no way it magically appeared in front of you getting in our way.

Or I'll unlock my entry into new area by using this rotation key mechanic that has an animation time of about 2 minutes using it. Yup! Definitely no loading times in this game...

Oh and now I need to grind in this purple foggy area for about 10-20 hours to buy stuff from a shop, as if I'm playing a mobile phone game.

Then I have to fight this woman boss 12 times, literally the same character, sometimes she has a mask on, sometimes she's wearing a Baseball Cap, this time her boots are a different shade of brown. It's definitely a different boss though, honest guv.

People complain quite rightly about Dynasty Warriors having clone characters sometimes, but in this game you have 12 of them, like literally the same character. Dynasty Warriors gets universally mocked but this game is award winning? Remember that annoying mission at Hu Lao Gate, where's there's 12 gates and at each one there's Lu Bu 1, Lu Bu 2, Lu Bu 3. No? Well that's what this award winning game offers you.

Why would you want to rip the finger nails off a boss that is 100 times the size of you, or fight a crazy horse chariot boss while riding on a giant tree lady who is climbing up a fucking mountain to get to Zeus?! (That one is the opener in GOW3 of course)

When you can fight this superior small Valkyrie woman, in a small round arena that takes an elevator 3 minutes to travel up (or down) there? When they die, we get award winning conversations and animations like we're watching a scene from Everyone's Gone To The Rapture laying on the floor, probably by the same voice actor for all 12.

Oh and did I mention the game gives me motion sickness after about 15 minutes of play? So I had to start stop, start stop constantly for literally, weeks.

GOW 2018 is a good game, a great one infact. But it has a whole ton of issues, and isn't a patch on the original GOW games. RE4 behind the camera camera angles does not suit a game like this.

Yes sorry, I know this is nothing to do with Ragnarok. Still, I'll happily shit on the new GOW games should the opportunity arise lol.

It's sad to hear it has all the same faults, and judging by Taco Ninja, some new ones as well.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BubbleJayGum said:

Lolwut, the combat in this game is fantastic. The fact that it is so demanding is what makes it incredible. I have beaten the game on "Give Me No Mercy" difficulty, including defeating the Valkyrie Queen and all the berserkers. You can't rely on button mashing and luck. It requires skillful dodging, parrying, and counter-attacking. Your timing must be on point. That's truly the best aspect of combat-related games.

So I guess it's a skill issue in your case. Mad cuz bad.

Awwww, man... this was a good post until you said "So I guess it's a skill issue in your case. Mad cuz bad". Come on Jay, was that necessary? Dude I'm not going to lie, that last statement really made you come off as some elitist douchebag floating on a high pedestal above the rest. It's almost like you're saying that because you don't struggle on harder difficulties no one else should or else they just suck. You're not one of those elitist types, are you?

You do realize that not everyone's gaming skills are the same, right? And you do realize that my original rant post is merely an opinion, not the law of the land that dictates to all that if I'm struggling here and there in the game then everyone else will be and should be too or else so help you God? There are many aspects in life that one will struggle with while others will not... and vise-versa. I mean hell, just look at this thread alone and all the members that agree with me. That doesn't mean anyone's right or wrong in this situation, it just means opinions will vary from person to person. 

I'm glad you didn't struggle. I'm glad you have the skills to fully grasp all of the intricate mechanics of Ragnarok. But just because I'm struggling sometimes on the easiest difficulty with the Berserkers doesn't mean I'm skilless and need to button mash my way through the game, as you assumed in your post, and it surely doesn't mean I'm "mad cuz I'm bad" or have skill issues either. All the things you mentioned in your post about the finer points of combat (parrying, countering, etc.) I do apply them. I may not be the best at it but I do at least grasp it enough for it to be an effective tool in combat to help me get by.

If all I was doing was button mashing there's no way in hell I would've defeated the Crucible or 7 out of the 12 Berserkers so far, even on the easiest setting. Common sense would kind of suggest that, wouldn't you agree? Especially in a game like this.

Edited by MrTacoNinja

37 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I haven't played Ragnarok, but you summed up my experience of God Of War 2018 perfectly, incredibly.

I played GOW 2018 on Easiest setting as at the time I was in a hurry to play through the game and finish it so I could start another game that was coming out.

I saw the platinum rarity and thought oh cool, I'll be through this game in a few days (like the previous games) and this game has won awards and shit, so I'm in for a good time, right?

I remember thinking omg, "Whiny skinny dude" is such a shit and annoying character I keep encountering, the shittiest protagonist I can think of and probably the worst first boss battle on any game I can ever think of.

I couldn't wait to get into the game and fight an epic boss! This game is gonna be so much cooler than GOW3! And yet it's just this guy for most of the game.

And then it never happens. Oh it's a golem thing again, this time it has a big stone as a weapon, last time it was a club. It's like the same enemies.

It's also probably the hardest "Easiest" game I have ever played. Killing those Valkyries, can't imagine how much harder they could have been, they were tricky enough on Easy, infact Easy feels like the regular difficulty setting.

Game lasts for 3 hours, no seriously. Then you have 40-60 hours of collectables with an ingame map that is so piss poor. Oh i'm in a new area but there's all these "red doors", guess I need to somehow find my way back here when I get "open red door ability", which will be many hours later and I have no fucking idea how to get back, and now I finally find it.. but inside these red doors I find blue vines..... guess I will need to come back here when I get "open blue vine door" ability. If you have to watch a 15 minute youtube clip on a laptop from start to finish right next to your screen in order to find various treasures, you know you fucked up on the minimap.

And then, between each island, spend 20 seconds jumping in and out of the boat where the head (best character in the game) will say

... oh where was I?

Anyway, I was talking about that time I shat in Zeus' mouth

.... anyway we'll pick up this story later.

Oh cool, this game has no loading times?! Awesome. Instead I'll enjoy the incredible non stop gameplay of running around in a big circle in this spooky blue foggy area which is definitely part of the story, or I could just stand perfectly still and the magic door appears anyway right in front of me.

"Boy" will shit his pants each time the door appears anyway, despite the fact we're just stood still and there's no way it magically appeared in front of you getting in our way.

Or I'll unlock my entry into new area by using this rotation key mechanic that has an animation time of about 2 minutes using it. Yup! Definitely no loading times in this game...

Oh and now I need to grind in this purple foggy area for about 10-20 hours to buy stuff from a shop, as if I'm playing a mobile phone game.

Then I have to fight this woman boss 12 times, literally the same character, sometimes she has a mask on, sometimes she's wearing a Baseball Cap, this time her boots are a different shade of brown. It's definitely a different boss though, honest guv.

People complain quite rightly about Dynasty Warriors having clone characters sometimes, but in this game you have 12 of them, like literally the same character. Dynasty Warriors gets universally mocked but this game is award winning? Remember that annoying mission at Hu Lao Gate, where's there's 12 gates and at each one there's Lu Bu 1, Lu Bu 2, Lu Bu 3. No? Well that's what this award winning game offers you.

Why would you want to rip the finger nails off a boss that is 100 times the size of you, or fight a crazy horse chariot boss while riding on a giant tree lady who is climbing up a fucking mountain to get to Zeus?! (That one is the opener in GOW3 of course)

When you can fight this superior small Valkyrie woman, in a small round arena that takes an elevator 3 minutes to travel up (or down) there? When they die, we get award winning conversations and animations like we're watching a scene from Everyone's Gone To The Rapture laying on the floor, probably by the same voice actor for all 12.

Oh and did I mention the game gives me motion sickness after about 15 minutes of play? So I had to start stop, start stop constantly for literally, weeks.

GOW 2018 is a good game, a great one infact. But it has a whole ton of issues, and isn't a patch on the original GOW games. RE4 behind the camera camera angles does not suit a game like this.

Yes sorry, I know this is nothing to do with Ragnarok. Still, I'll happily shit on the new GOW games should the opportunity arise lol.

It's sad to hear it has all the same faults, and judging by Taco Ninja, some new ones as well.

Dude...! This fucking made me die, LOL! It was like a mini rant to my bigger rant! Epic! "I now have the blue door skill but can't progress because I don't have the red door skill..." ha ha ha!

"Anti-war fatherly pussy." You're not a white right wing American gun-nut are you? :P 

I really enjoyed GoW (2018) and Ragnarok. A lot more depth than the previous games but the spectacle and scale of the conflicts, battles, personalities is definitely not the same. GoW 2 & 3 were excellent games with tight combat and stories. The previous games up to that point, people clearly lost their appetite for them and by Ascension, the series was tired. (2018) and Ragnarok have been massive successes since so the series will stay on this course for now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cam_manutd said:

"Anti-war fatherly pussy." You're not a white right wing American gun-nut are you? :P 

White: check.

Right winger: nope.

American: check.

Gun nut: not at all. 

"Anti-war fatherly pussy", lol. But he IS though! ? I mean, I wouldn't have the balls to say that to Kratos' face in real life so thank god he isn't real. He's definitely not a pussy. I guess I just termed it that way because his character now is so much.. softer... compared to how he once was and I really miss that.

56 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Awwww, man... this was a good post until you said "So I guess it's a skill issue in your case. Mad cuz bad". Come on Jay, was that necessary? Dude I'm not going to lie, that last statement really made you come off as some elitist douchebag floating on a high pedestal above the rest. It's almost like you're saying that because you don't struggle on harder difficulties no one else should or else they just suck. You're not one of those elitist types, are you?

Nah, man, I was just mocking you with that "mad cuz bad" thing. There has to be a friendly banter in discussions like this, right? It's all in good fun.

I agree that everyone's skill level and preferences are different, obviously. I was just surprised by how much emphasis you placed on the combat aspect in your rant.

I mean, yes, you can struggle with combat, but I think that's exactly what makes the whole process so good. The harder, the better. It's an action game after all. I'm sure you will agree that there's something incredibly satisfying about overcoming tough opponents after numerous attempts. It's that sense of accomplishment that makes it all worthwhile.

I guess I just didn't quite understand why you mentioned that challenging combat equates to a bad experience. Maybe I misinterpreted your point or missed some context.

The previous entry was one of the best of the generation, truly great from start to finish. Yet to get round to Ragnarok.

Your profile seems to be full of crap and indie dross in the most part so not sure how a game of this level can get shit ahead of those unless you have complained about them already ?

17 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Does anyone else long for the old Kratos we used to have, the rage-fueled murderous maniac, and not this anti-war and fatherly pussy we have nowDo people like this new version of Kratos and actually prefer the direction they took this character in? Do people prefer this overpolluted story-driven shit we have now opposed to the combat heavy GoWs of the past?

Me personally, no I don’t. I didn’t like the camera position in gow3 at all. Kratos the character just seemed like he was pulled from a teenage boys wet dream and I’m old enough that I wasn’t a teenager when gow3 came out. It just seemed a bit juvenile to me at the time and I lost interest in it very quickly. Wasn’t there a button or something to shag Aphrodite? Maybe I’m trippin there. 

Either way I absolutely loved the story of Ragnarok. I can’t EVER remember a time in any game ever where I didn’t see a twist coming. Tbh I can’t really remember a game ever where I’ve really been invested in the story, it’s not usually why I play games (although there are a couple of exceptions out there). My mouth was left open for minutes when this twist dropped though. Kratos seems like a much more real,  more relatable, more interesting character in Ragnarok and as a father to three boys myself I certainly did relate to the nuances in the relationship this game presented. It was masterly crafted in my humble opinion. If you haven’t got a frame of reference for that though I can understand why it may seem laboured when compared to previous games. I just didn’t feel that way at all and I’m someone who will skip almost all cut scenes in most big games. I don’t think I watched a single one in the new horizon game for example. Ragnarok gripped though and I was in hard from the start like a full-blooded-two-footer.

All of that said I do agree the camera in this game is awful. I didn’t mind the combat on the whole but combat camera was beyond annoying. And the post above referencing red doors, blue vines and piss poor in game map are all true and that’s why it made me giggle reading it. 

I can understand if you were a teenage boy when gow3 came out and that sparks nostalgia in some way, but otherwise, no, I don’t really see how people would want gow3 Kratos over Ragnarok Kratos. For my little humble self Ragnarok is the best gow I’ve played. I’m not saying I’m right at all, I’m just giving my two cents on a thread that has been popping up in front of me all morning...I couldn’t resist any longer.

• Like 1