Is it possible to buy a brand new PS3 in 2023?

kloudmuka

1 hour ago, OutcastGuy50 said:

Not sure why Sony doesnt allowed me to download ps3 game but being force to stream Ps3 games from PS+.Will I need a better internet to stream PS3 games on the PS5 or waste more money on other sony console.

Not to mention, not all countries have PS+ Premium to stream PS3 games over internet either unfortunately (e.g. Turkey/Turkiye) and there isn’t any update from Sony on when PS+ Premium will come to countries that currently have PS+ Deluxe.

Thing is with buying a new sealed console that's old is you will have open it to apply new thermal paste, but because it's not been used for so long there's a chance the paste and heat sink have glued together, battery on both console and controller might be dead as well. 

Old sealed games is good, old sealed consoles is bad. I think retro ones like SNES are ok though. 

2 hours ago, Helyx said:

Nah. I've seen people throwing fits for authentic Sixaxis for years. I wouldn't let one go for less than $50.

Sure hold onto it

i did now mine are crap lol

the transmitters in them are all shot

I was playing and then my controller was just going haywire with the inputs…old tech

luckily im able to link up a ps4 controller

so isnt the rest of the world ;)

6 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Sure hold onto it

i did now mine are crap lol

the transmitters in them are all shot

I was playing and then my controller was just going haywire with the inputs…old tech

luckily im able to link up a ps4 controller

so isnt the rest of the world ;)

If the fakes go for 20-30, why would he sell originals for that price? You said yourself it's pretty rare to find a original controller, so why he should sell them for cheap if there is very few around and lots of demand for it? 

I'm pretty sure he can sell them very fast for $50 per controller if he ever decides to.

• Like 1

If you want brand new one for a decent price, the only way is to keep browsing your local offers on sites like Craiglist or Facebook Marketplace daily and be quick once something pops up. Be prepared even for months of searching. That's how I found one for equivalent of ~$90 3 years ago, someone kept it unopened for years (maybe an unwanted gift) and finally decided to sell, it's rare but it happens. Same goes for genuine Dualshock 3s (be ware of knock offs).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

If the fakes go for 20-30, why would he sell originals for that price? You said yourself it's pretty rare to find a original controller, so why he should sell them for cheap if there is very few around and lots of demand for it? 

I'm pretty sure he can sell them very fast for $50 per controller if he ever decides to.

Its advertised as authentic

you dont realize its faked until you read the comments, and to leave a comment you have to first purchase said item

(Did you read my comment? I thought i made that part clear)

if he can get 50 for em..he should sell em and sell em now, sony has made it compatible i think via one of ps3’s latest firm ware updates to allow a ps4 controller to be used on a ps3 via cable connection and i believe thru usb support aswell

so good luck getting 50bucks for a 15year old controller that odds are, are probably ‘on their way out’ and as mentioned, sony made it so you can use other controllers

ive taken very good care of mine over the years as i do with all my possessions and theyve managed to internally deteriorate

im not too hard pressed on getting an authentic ps3 controller now

I don't want a PS5 but if Sony tomorrow released a PS3 mini tomorrow, I would go out and buy one right away, even if it was like 50-75% the price of a brand new PS4. Make it a mini but also doubles up as a PS3 pro, so framerate is better, can be upscaled to higher resolutions and more oopmh the PS3 OS so if you press XMB during the game the entire system doesn't come to a crawl.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Property_Damage said:

Its advertised as authentic

you dont realize its faked until you read the comments, and to leave a comment you have to first purchase said item

(Did you read my comment? I thought i made that part clear)

It being advertised as authentic and people actually believing they are authentic are two different things. Most ps3 owners, by this point, know that Sony does not manufacture new dualshock 3 controllers, only dual senses and maybe dualshock 4s. So most buyers of those knock offs controllers are aware they are knock offs, maybe they're shopping for something of bit higher quality instead of those really cheap stuff that go for $10. Anyway, the point is why someone would sell a GENUINE Dualshock 3/SixAxis controller for the same price of a fake controller?

1 hour ago, Property_Damage said:

if he can get 50 for em..he should sell em and sell em now, sony has made it compatible i think via one of ps3’s latest firm ware updates to allow a ps4 controller to be used on a ps3 via cable connection and i believe thru usb support aswell

so good luck getting 50bucks for a 15year old controller that odds are, are probably ‘on their way out’ and as mentioned, sony made it so you can use other controllers

ive taken very good care of mine over the years as i do with all my possessions and theyve managed to internally deteriorate

im not too hard pressed on getting an authentic ps3 controller now

Why should he sell them now? These piece of hardware don't deteriorate like you mentioned, I know because mine has been through hell and beyond and still the board/capacitors/connectors have no sign of tear or usage. I just need to keep replacing the left and right stick little motors because it worns out fast if used constantly. But if the controllers are just stored in relative clean space, the only thing that will ever deteriorate it's the battery (which can replaced with ease), all the rest should stay pristine.

As for dualshock 4 being able to be used with a cable in ps3: You're treating like this is something new, that one of the latest firmware for ps3 allowed this, so nobody is going to buy dualshock 3 anymore because of that, etcetera. Dude, this update came in 2014, almost a decade ago. If people are still interested in dualshock 3 (Original or not), it's because Dualshock 4 while being able to be used on a ps3, they are not that great to be used on it and the reasons are plenty: Lack of sixaxis, lack of pressure sensitive buttons, PS Home button not working, some games outright not playing correctly with a dualshock 4, along other reasons. Again, if people are looking to buy dualshock 3s, there must be a reason for that.

As for the difference between a knock off and genuine, I'm pretty sure anyone who ever played with both I will give you a list of why they prefer the original and why some people would be willing to pay more for an used genuine controller that is good condition. If it's worth 50 dollars now or in the future, only way to know is to put them up on sale, if they sell, it's because it's worth that.

57 minutes ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

It being advertised as authentic and people actually believing they are authentic are two different things. Most ps3 owners, by this point, know that Sony does not manufacture new dualshock 3 controllers, only dual senses and maybe dualshock 4s. So most buyers of those knock offs controllers are aware they are knock offs, maybe they're shopping for something of bit higher quality instead of those really cheap stuff that go for $10. Anyway, the point is why someone would sell a GENUINE Dualshock 3/SixAxis controller for the same price of a fake controller?

Why should he sell them now? These piece of hardware don't deteriorate like you mentioned, I know because mine has been through hell and beyond and still the board/capacitors/connectors have no sign of tear or usage. I just need to keep replacing the left and right stick little motors because it worns out fast if used constantly. But if the controllers are just stored in relative clean space, the only thing that will ever deteriorate it's the battery (which can replaced with ease), all the rest should stay pristine.

As for dualshock 4 being able to be used with a cable in ps3: You're treating like this is something new, that one of the latest firmware for ps3 allowed this, so nobody is going to buy dualshock 3 anymore because of that, etcetera. Dude, this update came in 2014, almost a decade ago. If people are still interested in dualshock 3 (Original or not), it's because Dualshock 4 while being able to be used on a ps3, they are not that great to be used on it and the reasons are plenty: Lack of sixaxis, lack of pressure sensitive buttons, PS Home button not working, some games outright not playing correctly with a dualshock 4, along other reasons. Again, if people are looking to buy dualshock 3s, there must be a reason for that.

As for the difference between a knock off and genuine, I'm pretty sure anyone who ever played with both I will give you a list of why they prefer the original and why some people would be willing to pay more for an used genuine controller that is good condition. If it's worth 50 dollars now or in the future, only way to know is to put them up on sale, if they sell, it's because it's worth that.

Im not trying to get in a debate war with you

i think you took this to a whole new level by writing a college thesis about the ps3 controller in this dudes thread about ps3’s

kudos to you mr video game journalist 

my guy, its 1am

since the launch of ps4, i stopped touching my ps3 up until a few weeks ago lol

so this update is new to me

**can we chill out on the spam in this persons topic please, he wants a new ps3 in 2023..i said i dont think he can find one easily as im personally having trouble finding a new controller (which was a far more reproduced item) continuing on about controllers is just spamming OP’s topic

48 minutes ago, Helyx said:

No low-ball offers, I know what I got.

I5oPjeB.jpg?2

“Only the battery deteriorates”

you would have to pay me to haul your trash

Edited by Property_Damage

People in here need to stop asking for native download or emulation of PS3 games, it's never going to happen. Microsoft only did it on Xbox because they have shitloads of money to do so. MS will never see a direct return on whatever the investment was into the BC project. We're lucky to be getting PSX/PSP games as it is.

17 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

People in here need to stop asking for native download or emulation of PS3 games, it's never going to happen. Microsoft only did it on Xbox because they have shitloads of money to do so. MS will never see a direct return on whatever the investment was into the BC project. We're lucky to be getting PSX/PSP games as it is.

It might happen, they had it working on PS4 but focus turned elsewhere. And Microsoft do it because it's easy to do so, nothing to do with money.  

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 4:38 AM, GUDGER666 said:

It might happen, they had it working on PS4 but focus turned elsewhere. And Microsoft do it because it's easy to do so, nothing to do with money.  

"Emulation is easy to do" - Random dude on the internet
You cappin right now?

The fact that emulation is a thing at all is insane in of itself. You're using code to make other code think it's running on its original hardware when it's running on completely different hardware. This is why emulation will never be 100% perfect and some people opt to play on native hardware instead. (Although native hardware isn't always perfect thanks to console revisions.) Even the PS2 had issues running certain PSX games and original PS3's with the PS2 chips have issues running some PS2 games. Those were less complex games when talking about trying to run PS3 emulation. PS2 emulation in Jak 1 as just one example doesn't even run at full speed on PS4 and some people expect the PS4 to be able to do emulation that can boot MGS4 and run in a playable state?

I'm not sure if that's part naivety, ignorance or a combination of the two.

Now when you say 'they had it working' do you mean about the leak that came out earlier this year where a reporter said they specifically had only about twelve titles working? In that same interview he had also mentioned Sony had tried over a hundred other games that wouldn't even load on their emulator.

Just getting an emulator to work with one piece of software is already a large endeavor but then getting it to work with multiple pieces of software is its own separate journey. This is why Xbox 360 emulation on Xbox One/Series is the way that it is when it comes to all games needing to be downloaded. You don't just get one 360 emulator that can play all the games, every single individual 360 game download on the new consoles comes with its own modified version of their base emulator. A handful of games still had/have issues.

So this is the full process of shipping 360 emulation:

-Create base emulator

-Tweak emulator for one game

-Test game fully

-Tweak emulator more

-Repeat last two steps until game is in an acceptable state for commercial grade mass consumption

-Repeat last four step for the next game

They did this for 500+ games.

You have to pay multiple coding engineers and play testers full time wages for each of these games. Getting past the technical hurdles, money is absolutely a factor.

Sony stopped PS2 emulation on PS4 at only 54 titles. With a library of over 4,000 titles, they had plenty of games they could have brought over. They stopped because they realized the money wasn't there. Jim Ryan has made the claim that hardly anyone ever actually uses BC.

The alternative you have with PlayStation Now is there because it is easier and cheaper. The games don't need individual tweaking to run off their servers and don't require the same regiment of playtesting, all this tremendously cuts down a lot of the work and saves them lots of money.

I don't see official PS3 emulation happening this gen or the next. Depending on how things are going, maybe it could happen on the PS7.

28 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

"Emulation is easy to do" - Random dude on the internet
You cappin right now?

Why are you using quotes on something I didn't say. I'm saying it was easy for them to do on their console because of the hardware and software been much easier to work on compared to PS3. Plus they have a s**t tone of money to hire loads of testers and coders. So yea for Microsoft it was easy. 

3 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Why are you using quotes on something I didn't say. I'm saying it was easy for them to do on their console because of the hardware and software been much easier to work on compared to PS3. Plus they have a s**t tone of money to hire loads of testers and coders. So yea for Microsoft it was easy. 

It's called paraphrasing.

Coding isn't so easy if you're the person actually doing it, sure it's easy for everyone on the outside looking in or a Microsoft executive.

You're right Xbox emulation is relatively more easy to pull off since all Xbox consoles run on modified Windows OS's while PS3 ran on one of the most obnoxious architectures any console has ever had, it's still a long process regardless of platform.

You've kind of just argued against own original reply already but I'll just throw this in here too, Sony is currently having issue with releasing original PSX games, could we even trust them to not mess up PS3 games?

2 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Sony is currently having issue with releasing original PSX games, could we even trust them to not mess up PS3 games?

Yea but it's Sony. They can't even make the PS Store work properly. And they aren't currently having issues, that was 5 months ago and was quickly fixed I believe. 

• 1 month later...

Brand new will be at high prices.. Best to just get a used one.

I was able to get a PS3 Slim (320gb) for around $80 on Ebay. Although at that price i knew the system was probably gonna be dusty af (which it was) but after taking it apart and cleaning it up it functioned with no problems.

Edited by XxEmoMikeyxX

• 3 weeks later...