Cult of the Lamb will not be delisted - It was a prank bro, you're on camera

Abby_TheLastofUs

I also don't think this should be taken as a hard confirmation of a potential removal from digital storefronts should the game-installation fee policy not be backpedaled. The way it's worded, particularly the little kissy-face emoji at the end, make this come off in more of a joking way than a statement of their actual plans regarding this situation. They could be considering the plan of ceasing the game's sales on that date in case Unity doesn't reconsider this install fee policy, but I'd recommend waiting until a formal statement is issued regarding the matter before really considering any potential delisting of this particular title as a set-in-stone thing.

Worth noting though, in case the game actually is getting delisted come the turn of the year, that the physical versions were seemingly only released on PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch. No other versions appear to have been released at retail, so if you want to play any other version than those two, such as the PlayStation 4 version, you'll potentially have to purchase the game before that date if they really are serious about this. This policy is certainly a major misstep on Unity's part, and a baffling decision overall that puts a ton of developers that rely on the engine in a very bad position. I hope Unity can see that they've made the catastrophically wrong choice here and do away with this install fee.

1 minute ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

You don't even know what you're talking about. The fee is for the devs that have used Unity, not the customers.

Hold off on your natural inclination to lick that boot till you at least read the article, because this means less games in the long run. There is no world where this actually works in your favor. 

meh. then its a dev problem. if they cant get any net+ from sales, sounds like they need better marketing. idc if indie devs go under. life goes on.

1 minute ago, SpaceIsDandy said:

so the old age was paying for nothing? 😅

😂 i mean most veterans don't have much cause inflation kicked their ass. So I'm not sure how to answer that 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

not sarcastic but yes you do lol

im waiting for special reserves copy to send. 

that being said, to everyone, you already pay x amount for a game, what's an extra $2 or something for an installation fee? not much.

view it as an extra tax. 

I don't think you really understand the planned change. You might be on the "make more money" end of the pyramid but you're missing the point here.

• Like 3

“If a player deletes a game and re-installs it, that’s 2 installs, 2 charges,” Totilo posted. “Same if they install on 2 devices.”

Wait, they are charging them if I download the game more than once? Crap that's nuts, I will cost a lot to this companies since I keep deleting and redownloading things just to make space argh... The worse is that in the future this could became a thing and you will have a limited number of times to download your digital games/products...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

meh. then its a dev problem. if they cant get any net+ from sales, sounds like they need better marketing. idc if indie devs go under. life goes on.

Dude I don’t think you’re understanding what’s going on here. They’re going to charge them every time their game is reinstalled.  That’s literally unsustainable 

• Like 4

Kinda off topic (although thank you tc for the warning it's quite a bit that this game it's in my watchlist and now i'll make sure to get it) but in the last few days between the psplus increase thread, the why baldur's gate 3 is loved by everyone and some answers here i feel we really need the clown emoji reaction like steam! 

Edited by Teh_DDgamez

11 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

Dude I don’t think you’re understanding what’s going on here. They’re going to charge them every time their game is reinstalled.  That’s literally unsustainable 

so don't uninstall it. If you get a ps5 and 4 or 8TB (now allowed) ssd, just leave it. Whats an indie game anyway? couple hundred MB? maybe a few GB. Just leave it..then you have no problem 

12 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

ITT: @Infected Elite makes himself out to be a narrowminded buffoon incapable of seeing the actual problem at hand but desperate to let everyone know what a monetary badass he (@Infected Elite) is and then gets roflpwned by the people who actually paid attention to the OP

aw how cute. I dont do things for rep points like you

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Infected Elite said:

so don't uninstall it. If you get a ps5 and 4 or 8TB (now allowed) ssd, just leave it. Whats an indie game anyway? couple hundred MB? maybe a few GB. Just leave it..then you have no problem 

….

my dude they ain’t charging us and you’re also saying never delete the game so they don’t get charged …

• Like 2

I've been watching this one for a bit due to the cool art style. I'll definitely buy it before it is delisted if this turns out to be the case. So if I understand the article, if I buy the game and then install it on multiple machines over multiple years, developers could get hit with charges a decade after they've released the game? I feel like that will only further incentivize developers to slow drip paid content to help counteract the install. OH! Does that mean DLC and patches and shit will cause their fee to go up?

I've been hesitant to buy only because I haven't looked into the supposed glitched trophies that the game has. Anyone play this recently enough to know if there are work arounds on the glitches? I will also research the threads that mention them, but figured I'd ask here as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Breakingthegreen said:

Dev problems get passed onto the consumer if they don't go out of business

These are the logical consequences that this will cause, which are not positive:

• No Unity games on steam, Steam refunds now actively cost the developer money.
  • Cloud streaming becomes more appealing to developers, the just pay upfront and there's no re installation risk, possibly exclusive.
  • Fewer sales, and definitely no stupidly cheap games for half a dollar, it's too risky.
  • Epic Games/ Playstation Plus/ Game Pass deals become far less appealing to developers. One game that was released on epic for free received 7 million installs, that would have cost the developer $1.4 million. The upfront cash is gonna have to increase to be worthwhile to the develops, and I doubt they'd offer
  • Less updates, DLC or seasonal games
  • Delisting as games become less and less popular, These fees would only increase with inflation and older games would no longer be profitable without price rises.

but none of this is new news really. Everyone knows the industry was headed this way. Aside from the dev installation fees, but regardless. Majority of this was known. 

4 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

saying never delete the game so they don’t get charged …

yeah, then you only pay for the game once and the little devs don't have to worry about an extra person costing them money.

You need to spend money to make money. The industry in 10 years will be far different from what we know today.

So if this comes to pass, won’t games that already have a large install base retroactively have to pay anyway? Like delisting the game isn’t going to save the developer from paying the fee if there’s already more than 200k of downloads? I’m kinda confused on how Unity can go after devs retroactively, unless this was buried in the ToS previously?

Wouldn’t the devs actually have to revoke licenses for prior purchase?

Edited by diskdocx

24 minutes ago, SpaceIsDandy said:

If this ends up happening would "everyone/anyone" be able to download/install a game enough times to force the dev into bankruptcy/out of business? Sure it might take a couple of billion downloads but still should be technically possible? 

Nothing that some bots and a good connection can't do, and since indie games are normally small, then it's more easy to do... As long as there isn't some kind of limit of download per day from the servers...

• Like 1

I'm trying to reach on x (twitter) an indie dev just to confirm if this in fact will impact them. Reading the news and having close to 0 knowledge on how it works, it seems this new fee will apply on those devs who earn more. I don't know how much revenue does COTL made in the last 12 monts, but asuming they use the Unity Pro version, they have to make $1 million in 12 monts. That feels like a lot, because they talk about revenue, not the price sony or microsoft puts on the final user. And I also want to know if games in gamepass or psplus are one time payment to the devs or it's montly or whatever.

I don't know, I think it's a dick move because the bigger devs will move to maybe Unreal Engine. And if they cannot  exactly tell WHO downloaded and installed the game I believe they'll lose any lawsuits.

3 minutes ago, Mr_Fluffy_Pants_ said:

If you already own the game and it gets de listed you can still download it right? 

I bought this fairly recently and platinumed the Ps5 version, but was going to do the ps4 version as well at some point.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think once its delisted, you can't redownload it. The example off the top of my head is that I downloaded and played the PT demo way back in the day. Once it was delisted, even if you already had it in your "download" list, you couldn't redownload it to a new console. 

1 minute ago, iamthedotcom said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think once its delisted, you can't redownload it. The example off the top of my head is that I downloaded and played the PT demo way back in the day. Once it was delisted, even if you already had it in your "download" list, you couldn't redownload it to a new console. 

I think PT was a special case. All delisted games can be downloaded from your list.

Edited by breakXedge
  • Like 3