Yearly auto-updates are needed

Jeanolt

29 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

...but if the site did that then what would people point to as evidence when they rant and rave about how games have all got easier?

I mean, is it even debatable that trophies have, on the whole, gotten way easier each gen? Sure, you have outliers and not every game is easy, but plats just aren't as difficult as they used to be on PS3.

I don't view it as a bad thing, but it is indeed a thing. 

Although I would like the statistics to be more accurate through regular profile updates, it is difficult due to the high data transfers. Even if 1/365th of the 6 million profiles are updated every day, that's ultimately 16,438 profiles. Sly will know whether this is technically possible or not.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

I mean, is it even debatable that trophies have, on the whole, gotten way easier each gen? Sure, you have outliers and not every game is easy, but plats just aren't as difficult as they used to be on PS3.

I don't view it as a bad thing, but it is indeed a thing. 

It is true that they're easier, but not that easier. If you take a look at, for example the RE Series, the difference in the % is huge between PS3 and PS4, specially RE4 which is at 33%, a nonsensical number. I mean, most people that sign here are full time trophy hunters, so it doesn't reflect the real number at all, making the PSN numbers closer to the actual average.

I'm not sure about this, but I read somewhere that games sell more in their first two weeks, than the rest of their lifetime, with some popular exceptions. That should reflect somehow in the stats, but it doesn't sadly, with numbers moving up super slowly.

40 minutes ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

Although I would like the statistics to be more accurate through regular profile updates, it is difficult due to the high data transfers. Even if 1/365th of the 6 million profiles are updated every day, that's ultimately 16,438 profiles. Sly will know whether this is technically possible or not.

You're right, I hope there's a way to sort this out. Maybe just uploading profiles higher than a certain level, although that alone could be harder than the former option.

I suggested this because I know it was a part of the site, so in theory is possible (I think!)

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 2

Let's first purge all the profiles that do not even have more than 1 or 2 plats to their name and have been dead for years. It's about 75% of fluff that skews the stats. Getting rid of them is easy and will mean much less of a strain on Sony's servers automatically.

And yeah I know that would mean I would lose about 90% of my PS3 UR trophies, but screw it.

... even if it means the site to be off for a whole day ...

Also, the above quote points to a misunderstanding. It is not the burden on PSNP that seems to be the problem, but the amount of requests sent to Playstation's PSN servers. Sly - quite understandably - does not want to get blacklisted by Playstation, because that would leave this whole site dead in the water.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Let's first purge all the profiles that do not even have more than 1 or 2 plats to their name and have been dead for years. It's about 75% of fluff that skews the stats. Getting rid of them is easy and will mean much less of a strain on Sony's servers automatically.

And yeah I know that would mean I would lose about 90% of my PS3 UR trophies, but screw it.

Also, the above quote points to a misunderstanding. It is not the burden on PSNP that seems to be the problem, but the amount of requests sent to Playstation's PSN servers. Sly - quite understandably - does not want to get blacklisted by Playstation, because that would leave this whole site dead in the water.

Doesn't really matter about the PS3 urs being lost its the same for everyone, personally I don't give a flying feck. Newer games, primarily PS4 games, will automatically become rarer and possibly make up for lost ground. 🤔

33 minutes ago, LadyGallethX3 said:

Not everyone wants to be added here and be updated automatically.

True but it's public information. If we delete the people that don't want to be here, games like GTA IV, Wipeout, Motorstorm, would be 10%. 

I know quite a few people that would be bothered lol. Rarity of those old games is totally dependant of legacy accounts

A change in the update frequency would allow for more UR trophies, maybe allowing more traffic and interest in the site.

Edited by Jeanolt

57 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

Doesn't really matter about the PS3 urs being lost its the same for everyone, personally I don't give a flying feck. Newer games, primarily PS4 games, will automatically become rarer and possibly make up for lost ground. 🤔

Very bad idea in my opinion. However it may not be necessary to update inactive accounts indefinitely, but it definitely has to be longer than 6 months or whatever it is now.

11 minutes ago, CabDK said:

Very bad idea in my opinion. However it may not be necessary to update inactive accounts indefinitely, but it definitely has to be longer than 6 months or whatever it is now.

Its not something I'm advocating for and I agree it's a bad idea Cab.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it though if it did happen.

Edited by JAK-KRIEG

Naah, it won't happen. After around 400 account updates, his IP would be temporarily blocked for too many requests 😆

I honestly don't see the point here, though. There are thousands of players that don't trophy hunt anymore, but they did back then and they are in the leaderboards for a reason. If people want to boost to the top, there are multiple shovelwares to help you, something PS3 didn't have. If you yearly update a dead account, this won't change anything, unless the player bothered to manually remove its account or put it private. My old account is still online in PSNProfiles after 10 years without any new trophy, PSNP can't remove it unless I ask for it OR I gain access again to my account to turn it private. And I doubt many players have actually done that after changing their accounts, so in the end, it won't change that much. Specially UR like GTA V, you need to remove thousands of "Dead accounts" for it to become Very Rare.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TurtlePM said:

Naah, it won't happen. After around 400 account updates, his IP would be temporarily blocked for too many requests 😆

I honestly don't see the point here, though. There are thousands of players that don't trophy hunt anymore, but they did back then and they are in the leaderboards for a reason. If people want to boost to the top, there are multiple shovelwares to help you, something PS3 didn't have. If you yearly update a dead account, this won't change anything, unless the player bothered to manually remove its account or put it private. My old account is still online in PSNProfiles after 10 years without any new trophy, PSNP can't remove it unless I ask for it OR I gain access again to my account to turn it private. And I doubt many players have actually done that after changing their accounts, so in the end, it won't change that much. Specially UR like GTA V, you need to remove thousands of "Dead accounts" for it to become Very Rare.

The problem is that accounts don't update anymore if you aren't premium, never. Not every person that likes trophies talks english, is here in PSNP often, and the huge majority aren't even premium members. Even I have friends on PSN that don't use the site and still hunt platinums.

It's like we are comparing the numbers within our club, meanwhile the PS3 games are compared to everyone. 

I feel like it would be closer to reality if we update the leaderboards. The other day I updated 5 random people that were behind me, four of them passed me, two of them by 20 levels or more.

What I mean is, trophies don't lose value after a period of time, they are still valid achievements, even if they stop playing. 

It's like winning a Grand Slam and pretending to be better than Federer just because he isn't active anymore and his numbers are deleted somehow.

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The site has come full circle with this stuff…

…for as long as I can remember, folks have dismissed the PSN Rarities as irrelevant, because they include non-trophy-hunters, and have almost unanimously held up the PSNP Rarities as the more “accurate” ones, due to the reduced sample size.

Now that the PSNP Rarities have actually reduced their sample size further - to literally only include active trophy hunters though…

… people are suddenly seeing virtually all rarities skyrocketing, and are requesting that they go back to including profiles that aren’t actively engaged with trophies, just to bring them back down?

There is something to be said about a happy medium where chasing UR trophies is fun and challenging but not impossible. I do not think artificially creating more engagement is bad per se. I do not mind any rarity sculpting in that regard (despite my suggestion to ditch all inactive PS3 era profiles that never got more than 1 or 2 plats).

What you are outlining is a very good reason to ditch any sense of elitism though, because in the end the only true percentages are the ones on PSN itself. Everything else is just our own invention to make it more fun.

I also think it is good to keep in mind that the people on this website are on the whole different than the demographic around 10 years ago. In that periode the 'worst' thing that could be on your profile was Magus. The community changed a lot in that regard, and is therefor not unlikely to ask for different things.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 7:08 PM, D-E-U-S-X said:

16k profiles per day equals 684 per hour, which would boil down to one profile every 5-6 seconds.

Given that Premium accounts are updated every 6 hours, you'd need about 4109 accounts to fill those 6 hours when updating one profile every 5-6 seconds. I think there's that many already. Even if there aren't, you'd have the hundreds-of-thousand of non-premium accounts that get updated somewhat regularly. So it's definitely possible to update everyone currently tracked about once a year.

Adding the knowledge that PSNP doesn't update your profile's settings if you haven't earned a trophy the since last sync happened, it's even possible to auto-mark profiles as abandoned/dead/inactive. Sly probably does this by checking the number of trophies earned vs what his database has stored. If they're equal, the site marks the sync action as "complete".

On 9/18/2023 at 8:41 PM, TheYuriG said:

I'm more interested in purging the dead accounts than in updating them.

Just because an account is no longer active, doesn't mean it should be purged from the system. This is a bad take.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:14 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

Baldur's Gate 3 should be massive based on sales figures. Yet, it's rocking a modest 2.2k player 🤔

You do realize the "recent players" is purely based on their recent trophy unlocks, right? For instance, I will never be on Nioh's recent player list now that I unlocked my last trophy for it. Even if I were still playing while not having earned every last trophy, I would only be shown in it if that last unlock happened fairly recently (a week or two, I think is the window).

• Like 1