First PS2 Classic Announced for PS+ Premium (PaRappa 2)

BlindMango

Noticed something interesting today, the newest set of PlayStation Classics were announced today (downloadable next Tuesday the 21st) include PaRappa The Rapper 2, this PS2 emulated game has been available to download individually for years now but will now be part of PlayStation Plus Premium classics library too

So kind of interesting, as some PS2 games are already part of the catalogue but this one just got its own announcement - maybe it’s a sign emulation for PS2 games could be slowly opening back up? If it is, what do you think Sony would add to the existing PS2 library, and what problems exist with it currently? What features from PS1/PSP emulation do you hope get carried into PS2 if they bring it back or vice versa? I’ve heard there are some issues people have run into with PS2 emulation on PS5 so I’m curious how this one runs, or if any patches or updates may be pushed to the game

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/11/15/playstation-plus-game-catalog-for-november-teardown-dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-superliminal-and-more/

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Xillynoc said:

Wonder if it'd be possible to bring back the OG LEGO Star Wars games with trophy support. Otherwise, uh...my mind is blanking on stuff to port from PS2, even though I'm sure there's a ton of great games that don't already have a re-release on modern systems

I'd love the Lego Star Wars games to get trophy support! It's sad that The Complete Saga doesn't have them, but that would be the next best thing. Chuck in the the 1st Indy and Batman games as well as they got PS2 and decent PSP versions 

Hopefully they will finally release Ape Escape 3, but aside from that, there's not a whole lot I can think of that I want that would be realistic. Maybe the two non-Insomniac Ratchet games? Especially Secret Agent Clank as that goes for a fortune nowadays 

• Like 2

I hope so. It seems they've been working with the emulator for a long time, and maybe this was one of the first games they were able to fix on PS5 (although I'm not able to try it). They have sooo many games to choose from, imagine the catalog not only of Sony, but the devs that have published on Premium so far (Square, Capcom and Bandai).

It could make Premium valuable on its own.

I find it really promising to see! I was afraid that they just totally abandon adding PS2 games to the catalog and was just solely focus on PSP/PS1 releases.

Personally, I hope that they add save states and rewind to these and start emulating new PS2 games to justify the price increase more. There are so many great gems on PS2 which not a lot of younger gamers ever got a chance to play that DESERVE to play like FF7: Dirge of Cerberus, Soul Calibur 3, Tekken 5, SSX3, Burnout 3, Viewtiful Joe, Timesplitters,  Ape Escape 3... I could go on and on.

To be fair, a lot of PS2 games have been Remastered in some compacity on recent gens, but it would really be awesome to see the some 3rd party favorites (or better yet, hidden gems I've never heard of) come over with save states and rewind. Obviously, with trophies would be best. Really disappointed that some games like Resident Evil, Tekken, Toy Story, and Soul Calibur were emulated without trophies... would've been awesome to have in my plat collection.

Hell, I wouldn't be too upset if they re-released some of the older ones with the same emulation treatment as the PS1/PSP releases with a new trophy list, but I would much rather them focus on newer games than taking on that project.

• Like 1

Considering they are billing the Klonoa remakes as PS Classics in that very same blog post, I think some of you getting excited about this are going to be super bummed to find out this is not one of the PS2 Classics released, it’s just that re-release/remaster from last gen released several years ago, independent of the PS2-on-PS4.

I don’t think this is a “sign” of anything going on with the neglect of PS2, just a liberal use of what they consider a PS2 “classic”, since, as said, they also listed the Klonoa collection.

• Like 1

Would be great if they fixed the emulator on PS5. Manhunt is pretty much unplayable with its graphical glitches. Psychnonauts, even on PS4, has some framerate shenanigans going on that affect gameplay. They should also let us choose NTSC US, PAL EU, AND JP versions while we're at it. 

Aside from that there's plenty to improve if you just have a look at other emulatord on PC. Why not let us crank up internal resolution and output resolution? Or let it stay the same and give us some screen filters like CRTs? Also no reason we should accept missing multiplayer modes. Again, people on PC, who don't pay a dime can get that and much more. Also, trophies. And the rewind feature.

I'm VERY cautiously optimistic on Sony's future plans for emulation. Wouldn't put it beyond them to just stop with the PS2 classics once all of them are out. Or even delist some. Because, why not? #ForThePlayers :D

Adding remastered Klonoa is also typical Sony behavior. It's not an emulated original classic, but they are treating it as such. Calling it now: the remastered Tomb Raider Trilogy for PS1 will fill a whole month's classic catalog games. Sigh. 

As for what I'd like to see? Second Sight, Psi-Ops, Way of the Samurai, Drakengard, Onimusha, Genji, Viewtiful Joe, Katamari, Black, Berserk, Shadow Hearts, Rule of Rosey Haunting Ground, RE Outbreak, Batman Begins, Silent Hill, Siren, Cold Fear, obScure, Fatal Frame, Alone in the Dark, Manhunt 2, God Hand, Shin Megami Tensei, Brearh of Fire, The Suffering, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Rygar, Deus Ex, Projectb Snowblind, Mister Mosquito, Musashi, Tenchu, Shinobi, Shinobido, Dark Watch, The Getaway, 24, Kill Switch, Killer 7, The Thing, Shadow of Rome, Spartan: Total Warrior, Freedom Fighters, Urban Chaos, Timesplitters, True Crime, Blood Omen, Soul Reaver, Maximo, Stuntman, Total Overdose, Punisher, i-Ninja... I think I could go on. What an absolutely amazing library and these are just some "hidden gems"

They could also bring back the emulated PS2 GTAs (with music and without the censorship, pretty please. Don't engage in denial and falsification, just add a disclaimer if you're so bothered about your past...)

Edited by Cashaddi
  • Like 1

I’m definitely confused, because isn’t that the PS2 on PS4 version of Parappa the Rapper 2 being added to the service? Cause the PS Blog doesn’t mention any re-wind and save state options that PS1/PSP on the service have and only PS4 is tagged.

if it was a new version built on the new rumoured PS2 emulator, then it would’ve likely have those options and a PS5 version too.

• Like 1

Ratchet & Clank / Sly Cooper ports next please SIE, it’s not fair that Jak & Daxter got the trilogy plus Jak X: Combat Racing on PS2 for PS4 but not the other two established first-party mascots from the same generation.

Even if streaming the PS3 HD trilogies was allowed Down Under, I wouldn’t do it. I simply don’t trust my internet connection enough to do a good job at it, the cause(s) for my skepticism being telco. monopoly and politics (mostly federal).

Edited by Dry

On 11/15/2023 at 6:20 PM, BlindMango said:

this one just got its own announcement

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time was announced and added to Plus the other month as well, and it is also one of the PS2-PS4 classics. 

I don’t think this means anything. If the listing said PS4 and PS5 then I’d be excited as it would mean they’d be patching/updating the emulator but sadly it’s only for PS4 so it’ll be the old version still. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 4:03 PM, EmperorZetta said:

Grandia was included, I really hope it gets a plat!

i doubt since Grandia isn't a Sony IP and at this moment the only PSP/PS1 games with trophies are first party titles

On 11/15/2023 at 10:19 PM, POMARANCZA123PL said:

LBP PSP have a loooot of licensed music. Dont count on it lol.
Would be great tho

you can still buy it on the Vita and they got the license for a bunch of ads on Jet Moto so it isn't that unlikely 

• Like 1