Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons remake

20 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

Looking forward to this one, I played the original a couple times - absolutely loved it. 

Agree. The first time I played I didn't realise those emotions were able to be reached, but wow they hit. I'm getting this one too. So charming and cute and a really interesting story, I can't wait to revisit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Maxine said:

The secret's out... I have been playing the remake early, and since the embargo is now lifted, I can share that the remake is absolutely fantastic in my personal opinion, and yes, it has a platinum trophy this time, the trophy list is a little different, with 2 brand new trophies that are exclusive to the remake of Brothers. I have not played the 2 player co-op at all, so I cannot comment on that side of the game at all, but it will no doubt be a wonderful addition to an already superb story-based adventure. But seriously, for the amount of love and passion that has gone into this remake, coupled with the fact that it was rebuilt in Unity Engine 5 from the ground up, it is 100% worth it.

A Tale of Two Sons Remake releases on February 28, 2024 and will be priced at $19.99 / €19.99 / £15.99 - There will be a launch discount until 5th March 2024, which gives you 20% off. 

If you're interested, I made a comparison between the two versions of the game, to give you a visual representation of how the remake has evolved since the release of the original in 2013. 

If you're allowed to say are there trophies for finishing the game in co-op or any sort of speed run?

6 minutes ago, CaptainJeff87 said:

If you're allowed to say are there trophies for finishing the game in co-op or any sort of speed run?

As far as I am aware, no. However, I am not 100% sure of the requirements of the 2 new trophies. I'll do my best to find out but I am sure someone will post the requirements somewhere regardless. 

On 2/27/2024 at 6:14 PM, Maxine said:

As far as I am aware, no. However, I am not 100% sure of the requirements of the 2 new trophies. I'll do my best to find out but I am sure someone will post the requirements somewhere regardless. 

UPDATE: I have figured out the requirements for the new trophies, guide videos are posted below!

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/153824-brothers-a-tale-of-two-sons-remake/?do=findComment&comment=2943709 

Edited by Maxine

16 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Is this the first time a game has the word Remake on its name here on PSN Profiles?

Nope:

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Destroy All Humans! Remake

The House of the Dead: Remake

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake

and, last but definitely least, Crazy Chicken Remake

I think that list is complete

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 12:43 PM, Maxine said:

The secret's out... I have been playing the remake early, and since the embargo is now lifted, I can share that the remake is absolutely fantastic in my personal opinion, and yes, it has a platinum trophy this time, the trophy list is a little different, with 2 brand new trophies that are exclusive to the remake of Brothers. I have not played the 2 player co-op at all, so I cannot comment on that side of the game at all, but it will no doubt be a wonderful addition to an already superb story-based adventure. But seriously, for the amount of love and passion that has gone into this remake, coupled with the fact that it was rebuilt in Unity Engine 5 from the ground up, it is 100% worth it.

A Tale of Two Sons Remake releases on February 28, 2024 and will be priced at $19.99 / €19.99 / £15.99 - There will be a launch discount until 5th March 2024, which gives you 20% off. 

If you're interested, I made a comparison between the two versions of the game, to give you a visual representation of how the remake has evolved since the release of the original in 2013. 

Thanks for the mini-review! Can't wait to grab this! 

Although you haven't played in co-op, do you know how it works? Is it like It Takes Two and will this come with a "friend pass" so you only need to buy 1 copy for 2 people?

Edited by DragonSpear2462

7 minutes ago, Colin_Raleigh said:

It's a good game and all, but rerealeasing it at such a high price is going to go over like a fart in church. 

$15.99 is lower than I expected. I'm fine with this price for a remake of a great game, it's a massive leap from PS3 to PS4. 

6 minutes ago, DragonSpear2462 said:

Although you haven't played in co-op, do you know how it works? Is it like It Takes Two and will this come with a "friend pass" so you only need to buy 1 copy for 2 people?

It is local co-op, so the only way to play online co-op is via SharePlay. 

I loved Brothers, and look forward to revisiting but I do have to ask…

…wouldn’t adding co-op to the game kind of destroy the whole concept?

The gameplay was pretty contingent on the unusual duel control system to make it work…

…and the big finale wouldn’t really work with the brothers controlled by two different people, wouldn’t it?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DragonSpear2462 said:

No worries! It's a local co-op game, as PortaLuna says, so no need for the "friend pass" system. 

18 minutes ago, psycho_clank314 said:

Brothers: A Tale of an unnecessary remake.

Also, it should be called remaster. Remake means the story or gameplay elements would have to be different.

It is different. The game is completely rebuilt in Unity Engine 5, the cutscenes are more in-depth, with new angles to immerse the player in the story.

2 hours ago, Maxine said:

UPDATE: I have figured out the requirements for the new trophies, guide videos will be posted below soon! ^^

Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

One More Game Trophy Guide

Spin Me Around Trophy Guide 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, psycho_clank314 said:

Also, it should be called remaster. Remake means the story or gameplay elements would have to be different.

That's not true. The remake/remaster dichotomy can be pretty damn confusing at times, but I think this take on it is rather off-base.

All a remake needs to be is an old game rebuilt from scratch. It can make changes to a game's storyline and gameplay, but even ones that try to mirror the original game exactly should still be classified as a remake if it was remade from the ground up, which this definitely seems to be. A remaster generally uses the original game's code and assets, but increases things like resolution and texture/model quality to make it look a bit less dated.

I enjoyed the original but honestly, from the clips I've seen, it didn't really seem to need this remake. The original wasn't horrendous or anything. They did add three more trophies to the remake including a platinum, which the original lacked. So if you really wanted a platinum for this game then that's reason enough. I wonder if there are any other changes aside from visual improvements and three added trophies?

Edited by Culturegeek

26 minutes ago, Culturegeek said:

I wonder if there are any other changes aside from visual improvements and three added trophies?

As already stated in this thread, some changes have been made to the cutscenes and game perspective to allow for a more immersive experience. Currently unclear how significant these changes are, however, unless @Maxine can offer some insight.

46 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

As already stated in this thread, some changes have been made to the cutscenes and game perspective to allow for a more immersive experience. Currently unclear how significant these changes are, however, unless @Maxine can offer some insight.

Thanks for the mention! ^^

1 hour ago, Culturegeek said:

I wonder if there are any other changes aside from visual improvements and three added trophies?

Well, visual improvements is a very broad term in this context, but since the game was completely rebuilt by a new developer (AvantGarden Games) who had nothing to do with the original game, it makes sense for the game to be completely rebuilt again as opposed to a port to PS5 or a remake and adding new trophies. (505 Games were the publishers for both the original and remake, the original was developed by Starbreeze Entertainment, who would have likely been too busy working on Payday 3 or other currently unreleased / unannounced projects to dedicate time to this)

In regards to the remake, there was new character models, a complete rebuild from the ground up in a new engine (Unity 5), new art style, additional perspectives to cutscenes etc. 

Oh and I hadn't even mentioned the addition of a 2 player local co-op mode. 

In terms of character models (minor spoilers for those who haven't played the game at all)

Spoiler

The spider lady has a very much different look in each version of the game, especially in spider form. You are welcome to do your own research on this as I don't want to scare people who don't like spiders.

The above is only one example of course, but if you were to compare the two versions of the games, you'll notice a huge difference in that especially, but given that the original game released in 2013, I personally believe it would have ruined the original art style's aesthetic to simply remaster the game in more detailed style like the Remake has provided. To clarify in more detail, if the original was remastered and the graphics were more detailed, I would feel like it wouldn't suit the game. The remake is a different art style, so the higher amount of detail feels like it all sits in place better. Regardless, I'd say enough time and technological advances have come about to warrant a fairly priced remake to attract a wider audience for current gen players. That is just my opinion however and all opinions are my own while being a creator for 505 Games. 

I should also note that I am not part of AvantGarden Games or 505 Games in terms of development, so I don't know anything in regards to any behind the scenes choices that led to the Remake being what it is but given what the finished product is, I'd say it is much more than visual improvements or new trophies. 

Apologies for such an essay, but I hope it provides a bit of insight from the perspective of someone who has recently played through both versions of the game. ^^

Edited by Maxine
  • Like 1