Guide of the Year Awards 2023 - Announcement

Dreggit

5 hours ago, AngelicaK92 said:

Good luck to everyone who wrote guides this year. While the guides on this site have been extremely helpful, more work needs to be done. There are games that have ZERO guides and that is not good. This site needs to work on games that are either lesser known and the sports games especially. Just my personal feedback. 

There are more games than guide writers. You know that, right?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Good luck to anyone and everyone who gets a nomination. I didn't even know guide awards were a thing till this past year. Nice to see there's a system in place for recognising the effort and work a lot of y'all put into guide work 😊

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 7:41 PM, CelestialRequiem said:

There are more games than guide writers. You know that, right?

Ok? 

On 1/1/2024 at 8:36 PM, RavenScythe said:

Don't expect someone to write guides on games they have ZERO interest in. This is not even a full-time job plus there are only a few of us and we do this in our free time not expecting anything in return (aside from feedback/adjustments) to deliver guides of high quality for games that we also enjoy playing.

Ok?

Edited by AngelicaK92
  • Confused 4

On 1/1/2024 at 8:20 PM, AngelicaK92 said:

Good luck to everyone who wrote guides this year. While the guides on this site have been extremely helpful, more work needs to be done. There are games that have ZERO guides and that is not good. This site needs to work on games that are either lesser known and the sports games especially. Just my personal feedback. 

Lesser known games are covered by numerous writers (myself included), there is just so many of them that obviously many won't get guides. Sports games are something that often gets overlooked for guides though yes. Perhaps the current crop of writers simply aren't into such games, but what likely has a lot to do with it is how similar their lists tend to be and the fact that most have only a small timeframe where they are available due to having online trophies and servers getting shut down for them quickly.

Indeed, I hope to make a guide for another unknown game that I really enjoyed a while ago - even though that means a new playthrough because I remember nothing of it.

Unless of course someone thinks doing the exact same and boom goes my guide!

I wrote a Guide for one of these obscure easy games that had a low player count; just to test the waters, and no matter how short the game, writing a Guide can take up much more time than it took to Platinum that same game; it's like coding, the de-bugging phase can take up much more time than than it took to write the code in the first place - and people either don't want to commit that sort of time unless they enjoyed the game somewhat at the very least; and even then, there just isn't a lot of writers that can make a quality body of work for the ocean of games out there.

Also, the approval process etc... Is another pain point.  I myself did not have a pleasant experience writing for the site - some others may or may not have had a similar experience - there are some writers that absolutely love making Guides for the site and have a great experience; just out of the sheer love of writing - while others like myself might be a one and done sort of thing, and there are also others that will keep writing Guides despite also having negative experiences during the creation process, and they push on - but we have to respect everyone's time at the end of it.

Either way - the progress PSNP has made since adding the creation of Guides on the site has been incredible.

And remember, the site is nothing without its dedicated playerbase.

• Like 3

Willing to see my Earthworm Jim HD Trophy Guide nominated! I returned writing to the site after seven years of not publishing any guide. I hope to continue writing guides for old games as a preservation status for the website and as a way of legacy, specially games for PS3. Cheers!