What Was Everyone's Favorite Game Of 2023?

Gonzokillass

1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

2. Resident Evil 4

3. Final Fantasy XVI

4. Spider-Man 2

5. Hi-Fi Rush

I have yet to play Baldur's Gate III or Alan Wake II which everyone seems to name as their GotYs so this list will possibly change retrospectively.

• Like 2

1. Alan Wake II - I liked the first game well enough, but aside from the slightly clunky inventory system I found this to be a lot more interesting story-wise. I just wish
    Spoiler

Barry was in it - hopefully he'll be in a DLC.

2. Sea of Stars - Not normally one for turn based combat, but really got into the story and wish I could carry Garl around in my pocket
  3. Dredge - Great creepy atmosphere and again not something I'd normally go for, but highly recommend!
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

1) Baldur's Gate 3

2) Final Fantasy XVI

3) Hogwarts Legacy

I haven't played the new Final Fantasy yet. What's it like?

30 minutes ago, Mr_Fluffy_Pants_ said:

Dredge & Resident Evil 4 remake (I haven’t played Spider-Man 2 yet)

I watched a friend of mine play the first bit of the RE4 remake and it looks fun, but I don't wanna play it until I complete 2 and 3

• Like 1

Bit different from a lot of people:

1. Octopath Traveler 2: Best RPG experience over the last few years.

2. Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line: One thing FF series is known for it's the OSTs, so much fun with the jams.

Haven't gotten around to Sea of Stars or Honkai: Star Rail as of yet.

• Like 3

None of my top favorite games last year were released in 2023.

My top 3 games I finished in 2023:

1. Vampire Survivors (PC)
  2. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Wii U Virtual Console)
  3. Touhou Mystia's Izakaya (PC)

6a3796170ff060a5766ff206ac893a544b7627f3

Games I finished in 2023 that didn't quite get into top 3 but were worth a honorable mention:

• Crimson Shroud (3DS)
  • Signalis (PC)
  • Ghost Trick (DS)
  • Gears of War 2 (Xbox Series X)

a30782fadc064f348beded40db49edfd71d00698

I finished only 8 games that were released in 2023 and out of those my favorite would probably be Volcano Princess (PC).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

None of my top favorite games last year were released in 2023.

My top 3 games I finished in 2023:

1. Vampire Survivors (PC)
  2. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Wii U Virtual Console)
  3. Touhou Mystia's Izakaya (PC)

6a3796170ff060a5766ff206ac893a544b7627f3

Games I finished in 2023 that didn't quite get into top 3 but were worth a honorable mention:

• Crimson Shroud (3DS)
  • Signalis (PC)
  • Ghost Trick (DS)
  • Gears of War 2 (Xbox Series X)

a30782fadc064f348beded40db49edfd71d00698

I finished only 8 games that were released in 2023 and out of those my favorite would probably be Volcano Princess (PC).

Respect for listing them in that format

Trails into Reverie

I managed to play it without taking any breaks and starting something else.  Especially impressive cause it took 104 hours to beat and I took multiple breaks during Cold Steel 4.  I loved the casts.  It was fun building parties from Liberl, Crossbell, and Erebonia.  And I loved Puyo Puyo.  Still haven't finished the YuGiOh games though.

Pokemon Scarlet

I'm surprised how much I loved this.  The last Pokemon game I played was Sun and that took me seven years to beat.  I thought I was done with the franchise, but maybe Sun was just bad.  I loved the open world format.  I spent the first seven hours getting dressed.  Not even exaggerating, it took me seven hours to get the first badge.  The characters were great too.  I love Nemona.

Bioshock 2

Like the opposite end of the spectrum, going from an open world RPG to a linear FPS.  I liked the linearity of it.  Being able to do and collect everything on your first visit was nice.  I made it through the first level without dying and played the rest of the game without Vita Chambers for the extra challenge.  And I did the Savior ending and it choked me up just like the first one.

• Like 4

2023 was a pretty mid year for me, ngl. I was really engaged with the lore and world of Final Fantasy XVI at first, but by the end of it I was legitimately upset with the direction they took things in. That, and the combat - despite being designed by the same guy who also designed Devil May Cry 5's combat - just started to feel really repetitive and shallow no matter how much I experimented with it. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 was still more than enjoyable, but it was not nearly as impactful as the first game was to me and felt rushed at times. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom - despite all that was different about it from Breath of The Wild - just felt like a better BOTW, and ended up being the most cookie-cutter game in the series with hardly any identity of its own (while also making BOTW feel less special and worth returning to in the process). I haven't played (nor do I own) games like Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon or Baldur's Gate III yet, and games like Fire Emblem: Engage and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (both of which I do own, but haven't played yet) seem disappointing in their own ways (e.g Engage's story, and Survivor's glitches).

Honestly the only thing I can think of that comes even remotely close to being what I could consider "game of the year" would be Pikmin 4, which I've had a blast with. If remakes or other rereleases count, Metroid Prime Remastered was absolutely fantastic. This year is looking like it might be better (already fell in love with one game released thus far, that being Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown), thankfully, but last year really did test my patience with this medium perhaps more than ever before. lol

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

My pick would be Octopath Traveler II. At the time I hadn't played a proper RPG in a long time and I was immediately sucked in and engrossed.

Pretty sure I sunk over one hundred hours into the game. I really enjoyed the 2D sprite work and how well it meshed with the 3D environments.

Anyway, highly recommended. 

Edited by vegetollo7
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Late to the thread but whatever.

Here are my picks for the year.

1. Yakuza: Like a Dragon

2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails Into Reverie

3. Hogwarts Legacy

3. Final Fantasy XVI

4. AI: The Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative 

5. Star Wars Jedi Survivor