After 73 days my PS5 is toast

Loutisu

I'm not sure where to post this but I had gotten my PS5 in late November 2023 and I only played it for a few weeks then moved back to PC gaming lol.. Anyways I stopped playing around December 16th ish and started playing it again a few days ago and while going for the No Man's Sky platinum (PS5) version, the system would keep crashing. I figured it was just No Man's Sky causing it because it would crash all the time on PS4 but this would crash the entire console. Over the span of like 3 days it crashed the system 8 times. 

I was so close to finishing the platinum for the game. (I noticed it crashed most of the time during a storm when a supercell formed) and now it won't even turn on. It beeps once with the blue light and just doesn't turn on. I've seen some videos and read up on changing the outlet, unplugging the console for a few minutes ect, but nothing works. Good news is I bought it from Walmart and I'm only 73 days in out of the 90 for the warranty exchange but still this blows. I'd rather not make the trip out there.

If anyone else has some recommendations for me to try and fix this issue I'd try them and I'd actually appreciate it and maybe someone else has the issue in the future could use this forum post as a reference. 

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

90 days is just the store return policy, you have a one year warranty through Sony. Hopefully your saves were backed up, but I wouldn’t even recommend one more minute of your personal time for something so new not working. Take it back to the store and exchange it for another new one that will have another one year warranty. 

Yeah, you're right. I'll probably just end up doing that and I've only played a handful of games on the PS5 anyways NMS, finished up BF1 online and Astro's Playroom and I don't have PS+ and don't think I uploaded them lol

2 hours ago, Loutisu said:

If anyone else has some recommendations for me to try and fix this issue I'd try them

Don't do anything, get it replaced since it's under warranty.

• Like 2

Only 73 days? I'm no expert but that sounds like defective hardware. There was one time a few months before I got my PS5 that my PS4 went through a comparable number of crashes in just a few hours thanks to multiple power outages caused by a really bad storm, and that console was nearly 8 years old at the time. But it was working okay after that. 

• Like 1

Mine didn't even last six months before it started overheating, had to send it into Sony to get fixed.

Also I'm on my second controller and I've noticed the initial signs that it's developing drift (sudden slight twitches to the left) so that's great.

QC seems kind of lacking this gen.

Edited by Lion_Squid
  • Like 1

Sounds like the board got fried by the storm and components got taken out.

Maybe get some surge protectors or something - some high quality outlets rated for that sort of thing.  You don't want it reoccurring on your replacement.

11 hours ago, Loutisu said:

I'm not sure where to post this but I had gotten my PS5 in late November 2023 and I only played it for a few weeks then moved back to PC gaming lol.. Anyways I stopped playing around December 16th ish and started playing it again a few days ago and while going for the No Man's Sky platinum (PS5) version, the system would keep crashing. I figured it was just No Man's Sky causing it because it would crash all the time on PS4 but this would crash the entire console. Over the span of like 3 days it crashed the system 8 times. 

I was so close to finishing the platinum for the game. (I noticed it crashed most of the time during a storm when a supercell formed) and now it won't even turn on. It beeps once with the blue light and just doesn't turn on. I've seen some videos and read up on changing the outlet, unplugging the console for a few minutes ect, but nothing works. Good news is I bought it from Walmart and I'm only 73 days in out of the 90 for the warranty exchange but still this blows. I'd rather not make the trip out there.

If anyone else has some recommendations for me to try and fix this issue I'd try them and I'd actually appreciate it and maybe someone else has the issue in the future could use this forum post as a reference. 

I did have issues last month with HFW constantly crashing, first time I've had any issues in nearly 2 years. I positioned it horizontally and haven't had it happen since, am just keeping it clean and monitoring it for now. But yeah, that's very early for yours to be having problems so it may just be defective. 😕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-S_93 said:

Sounds like the board got fried by the storm and components got taken out.

Maybe get some surge protectors or something - some high quality outlets rated for that sort of thing.  You don't want it reoccurring on your replacement.

Sorry, I meant a supercell storm in No Man’s Sky not IRL. I have surge protectors because one time many years ago I did have my Xbox One power supply go out because of an electric surge that came through and good thing it was the old first gen phat model, I just had to replace the external power supply. It was the only thing directly connected to an outlet during that storm that night lol.

• Haha 2

Which model PS5 is it? OG or one of the new Slims? Because I feel like I keep seeing more people talking about failure rates lately with their new Slims. 

But yeah, like other's have said you're in good window right now to just drop everything and get a new one. Better now than when it's out of warranty and you'd be stuck paying for a new one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Which model PS5 is it? OG or one of the new Slims? Because I feel like I keep seeing more people talking about failure rates lately with their new Slims. 

But yeah, like other's have said you're in good window right now to just drop everything and get a new one. Better now than when it's out of warranty and you'd be stuck paying for a new one. 

It was actually the new slim disc model. The one that came with MWIII bundle. Model CFO-2015

Edited by Loutisu
Context

I doubt it, but it does sound similar to when my system was overheating. The system would just turn off, and I would have to unplug it to turn it back on. Taking off the covers and blowing some air into the fan to remove the dust solved the problem.

That said, I doubt that much dust could build up in a new system, so I would imagine it is defective hardware. Either way, send that back to Sony.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

That said, I doubt that much dust could build up in a new system, so I would imagine it is defective hardware. Either way, send that back to Sony.

Yes it’s basically dustless. https://imgur.com/bLXipTU

Edited by Loutisu
Changed the picture hosting site because I used Imgur back in the day and less ads than the previous link
  • Haha 1

I'm not a fan of the PS5 M.2 solid state drives. They get extremely hot and their placement within the computer architecture prevents the system from having sufficient I/O to monitor and interact with it. The memory being located at the PCI bus is certainly much faster in terms of data rate but it sacrifices a lot of interface options and it juices the hardware much more than an ordinary computer.

Edited by ruexnimbus
typo

4 hours ago, Loutisu said:

Sorry, I meant a supercell storm in No Man’s Sky not IRL. I have surge protectors because one time many years ago I did have my Xbox One power supply go out because of an electric surge that came through and good thing it was the old first gen phat model, I just had to replace the external power supply. It was the only thing directly connected to an outlet during that storm that night lol.

LMFAO,

Sorry, I probably skimmed the post and didn't read properly - my bad, mate.

💀☠️

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 1:29 AM, Loutisu said:

my first PS5 did something similar. Any game would crash after a minute and nothing like factory resetting would fix it. Send it to Sony ASAP for repair because there's likely nothing you can do yourself. Just hope they fix it because they are notoriously useless with stuff like this.

If you could get a full refund from wallmart just do that. The place I bought from in the UK gave me a full refund and I just bought another one. I would honestly just do that instead of send it for repair. Make the trip :)