RPG Mania 2024 - Trails of Final MegaDimension-verse: Echoes of an Alchemists Sceptre/Staff/Book VI

I know that in the 2023 edition I performed poorly and didn't complete much RPGs. However, I feel like I'm going to tackle more RPGs this year, since many good RPGs are on PS Plus and unfortunately leaving the service, so I'm going to take an opportunity this year. Plus, last year I started playing the Vita again, since I'm working on hybrid (3 days home office, 2 days at the office), and I want to acquire RPGs to play along as well.

Sign me up again, too.  I'll come back with Double/Triple point games near the end of March.

A couple of other thoughts:

Could we add 9th Dawn III to the Most Wanted bonuses?  Not that I'd advocate anybody playing the title if they wish to retain their sanity -- certainly not after my experience doing so last year -- but it's more tedious and time-consuming than most of the rest of that list.  And I know that list pretty well, because I've platted most of it over my PlayStation "career".

(P.S.:  Somebody wrote a pretty in-depth trophy guide for that game.  Even got nominated for a Guide of the Year because of it.)

Second, why do we allow the New Release bonus to overlap with a Speed Run bonus?  Most completions within the first month of a title's release would generally qualify for a speed run to begin with, excepting those titles that have an enormously broad appeal and player-base upon release.

Finally, could we perhaps tweak the baseline scoring to not so heavily reward the completion of all the quick, crappy RPGs out there?  As it stands now, the majority of scoring in these competitions is the baseline 100 points for completing a game, whether long or short, good or garbage.  I'd probably care more if I ever had the time and other resources to make a genuine try to win this competition, but it still rubs me the wrong way that I can get as many (or more) points for churning out a crappy KemcoRPG that takes me a day or a weekend and probably took the developers as long to code as I would a substantial RPG that is well-crafted and pushes you but takes a month for those of us who have jobs and lives.

/rant

i gonna decide wich douple points and triple point game i going to chose from my backlog since in the last event i did not completed any double point ore triple point game i am also aproaching my way of gaming different now i play good and hard games only i played a bit shovelware games and they where a like meh games i gonna play a whole yearrpg games since i did not do that last year i going to train  on my focus this time and getting a higher score then in the last event from rpg mania 

On 2/29/2024 at 9:37 PM, acasser said:

Finally, could we perhaps tweak the baseline scoring to not so heavily reward the completion of all the quick, crappy RPGs out there?  As it stands now, the majority of scoring in these competitions is the baseline 100 points for completing a game, whether long or short, good or garbage.  I'd probably care more if I ever had the time and other resources to make a genuine try to win this competition, but it still rubs me the wrong way that I can get as many (or more) points for churning out a crappy KemcoRPG that takes me a day or a weekend and probably took the developers as long to code as I would a substantial RPG that is well-crafted and pushes you but takes a month for those of us who have jobs and lives.

I'm on the fence for joining but I gotta say I agree with acasser on his points and i don't mean with just with Kemco which in itself is a problem but less this time around but we saw how last competition how FF pixel single handily ruined the competition right away cause they were all short games with a lot of bonuses attached to them, then if you were to add in other short series (ie. kemco, hdn) to it then it feels impossible to even catch up as we seen.

So I feel like series stacker is one of the things that needs to be changed/removed as it only benefits longer series since they have higher chance of having short games and should be capped off somewhere or be a flat out number depending on the series they finish. For example time wise KH first 6 game in their series is gonna be more harder to complete then a FF first 6 that take like 1/6 of the time at longest and be at most a 3/10 difficulty which really is comparing apples to oranges really and only difference is the games in FF after will almost all be worth about 2-3 games with pure bonus as it goes on regardless of length. While Kemco you can say does the same but at least there not all bunched together in a series besides one so they still get a decent penalty being 40%+ plat rates or more and HDN would be a issue as well if not for psnp having the list split for some odd reason. Then there are series like Tales, Atelier, Legend of Heroes and persona who have longer games with a few short/medium ones sprinkle in there so the series stacker is really similar to KH being more on the lengthy side.

So I also feel there should a more time more points kind of system to balance it out to make it fair @Psy-Tychist else this will just be a battle of quantity rather then quality of RPGs, plus with the concern of games without guides to say how long they are there are sites that have a decent estimate like platprices for example that could help there. Because if you try the rarity approach you will get games like Dark Souls (or any FROM games) which on paper is hard but the rarity says otherwise and wont be a fair yard stick to judge since there are some games people just go beast mode on but will still technically be longer and harder then what there rarity assumes to the average gamer.  End of the day this is just my 2cents on this since RPGs are meant to be fun and relaxing.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:59 AM, Psy-Tychist said:

Mugen Souls

I would gladly do this since I just got a used PS3 that is pretty in working order... only I would probably have to pay an arm and leg to buy a clean physical copy of this game. Anyways, I'd like to apply for this event as there are many RPGs I have not even started yet and could start on April. ^_^

EDIT: Your banner is a link and it leads to an error page.

Edited by ProfSeajay7

Sign me up, please! I've got a fair amount of RPGs on my backlog that I need to get done, including Cross Edge, Star Ocean: The Last Hope International, and The Guided Fate Paradox, and this seems like a good motivator. (Star Ocean and Cross Edge have both been on my profile for over a decade at this point...). Plus, I've got a bunch of RPGs that I'm doing for the Platinum Difficulty Challenge this year, too. So, this seems like the best time to give this event a shot. :)

7 hours ago, AlterArchuria said:

I'm on the fence for joining but I gotta say I agree with acasser on his points and i don't mean with just with Kemco which in itself is a problem but less this time around but we saw how last competition how FF pixel single handily ruined the competition right away cause they were all short games with a lot of bonuses attached to them, then if you were to add in other short series (ie. kemco, hdn) to it then it feels impossible to even catch up as we seen.

So I feel like series stacker is one of the things that needs to be changed/removed as it only benefits longer series since they have higher chance of having short games and should be capped off somewhere or be a flat out number depending on the series they finish. For example time wise KH first 6 game in their series is gonna be more harder to complete then a FF first 6 that take like 1/6 of the time at longest and be at most a 3/10 difficulty which really is comparing apples to oranges really and only difference is the games in FF after will almost all be worth about 2-3 games with pure bonus as it goes on regardless of length. While Kemco you can say does the same but at least there not all bunched together in a series besides one so they still get a decent penalty being 40%+ plat rates or more and HDN would be a issue as well if not for psnp having the list split for some odd reason. Then there are series like Tales, Atelier, Legend of Heroes and persona who have longer games with a few short/medium ones sprinkle in there so the series stacker is really similar to KH being more on the lengthy side.

So I also feel there should a more time more points kind of system to balance it out to make it fair @Psy-Tychist else this will just be a battle of quantity rather then quality of RPGs, plus with the concern of games without guides to say how long they are there are sites that have a decent estimate like platprices for example that could help there. Because if you try the rarity approach you will get games like Dark Souls (or any FROM games) which on paper is hard but the rarity says otherwise and wont be a fair yard stick to judge since there are some games people just go beast mode on but will still technically be longer and harder then what there rarity assumes to the average gamer.  End of the day this is just my 2cents on this since RPGs are meant to be fun and relaxing.

i totally agree with @acasser and @AlterArchuria if everyone is doing the easy games then its normal that most gamers have very high scores games like horizon forbidden west and the other good rpg games out there if everyone is playing good games and no kemco other easy stuff games then it would be fair i am novice gamer for me its a little bit difficult to finish games i know from myself that i am gonna have a hard time for dark souls 

On 3/1/2024 at 2:37 AM, acasser said:

Could we add 9th Dawn III to the Most Wanted bonuses?

I think this would work. It does seem like a lot of work and would be worth the points.

Second, why do we allow the New Release bonus to overlap with a Speed Run bonus?  Most completions within the first month of a title's release would generally qualify for a speed run to begin with, excepting those titles that have an enormously broad appeal and player-base upon release.

I agree that if you play a game at release or within release schedule the bonus for being in the Top X would be nearly guaranteed. So that will be amended to being only one bonus being available. 

Finally, could we perhaps tweak the baseline scoring to not so heavily reward the completion of all the quick, crappy RPGs out there?

Partially I try to keep the math part as easy as possible and adding or removing bonuses for time to completion is hard to implement. It is also an arbitrary value to choose how long a game takes and what value that adds to scoring. I welcome an option which will ensure fairness and is easy to keep track of.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:50 PM, AlterArchuria said:

So I feel like series stacker is one of the things that needs to be changed/removed

I feel that this is true. I believe that rewarding people playing a series is still valid but yes Final Fantasy games number upwards of 50 (not all count but close) and that far outstrips any other series on PSN. Limiting the Series Stacker to 10 was my initial input, because that allows other series to be valid without someone pouring all their time into quicker points.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:50 PM, AlterArchuria said:

So I also feel there should a more time more points kind of system to balance it out to make it fair

As with many arguments about making it fairer, I get that RPG's are the most time intensive besides Strategy and Management games and there should be rewards to that. Mentioned above, I always want an easy way to make that possible which competitors can check and/or have a generally easy calculation to compare. Ideas are most welcome.

On 3/3/2024 at 3:21 AM, ProfSeajay7 said:

Your banner is a link and it leads to an error page.

Well that's a pain. It is just meant to be a picture and nothing else. I will see what I can do.

Added everyone so far who has commented that they want to join and will amend the OP with the new details.

• Like 1

@AlterArchuria why do I feel like being called out?>>? :S🤣🤣  Regarding pixel FFs, the issue I feel is not that they are short. In fact they are not that short. IV is listed 30hr here on psnp, V listed 60hrs and VI is listed 40 hrs from the guides by the same group of authors (They list FF I the shortest with 15hrs). IV-VI alone total is 130rs and that says something. At least from my experiences V and VI are way longer than VII, VIII and type-0, with the last three being the easiest and pixelest 😆. In comparison mass effect 1,2 and 3 are about 20 - 30 hrs each, but no one would consider them short games? I did pixel ffs combo in two weeks but that was stressful (minimum sleep) and I would not do it again in my life just saying. Anyone is welcome to do that. They are not that short as you think! especially if you put them all together (not even mention feeding on the pixel graphics makes one nauseous heheee).

The real issue for pixel ffs is that they are boosting the ffs series bonus to way too high. If one done enough with long line of ff games, the last 6 games could stack to over 2k points (going up to 400points for each ff) in series stackers and that's crazy!! So i'd say series stacker need to be nerfed! or maybe only for ff. Like i said, ff series is the least series-like for me, there is no correlation or minimum connection regarding each game. They only share some monsters and magic that's all. Souls games could be more like a bigger series than that.

@acasser Regarding new games, since I might be the only one who done plenty new game bonus last season. I only want to say that newgame+speedrun is not easy. The game should either be popular (like ffs the new ones not the pixel ones, so there are way more plat achievers) or need to be very rare with few people (so the chance to get in top25 is high). Otherwise you are competing against some die hard fans and hardcore players especially when it comes to souls like (had very tough time with remnant 2 for example and i had to go to no-sleep mode again to secure a speedrun). New games also sometimes come with no guide and no help so in general it's tougher than a regular title IMO.  But I agree new game bonus should be removed, reason being we should treat all games equal, and new games are costly for us It's not good idea to promote them. 

For crappy short ones, I am completely on board with what you all said. They need to be nerfed!!! so the competition does not turn into an FF and short crappy titles competition.

@Psy-Tychist All thing considered, here I propose some of the ideas that just popped up like they did not go through my mind for a day or two... 

• Remove new games bonus, however in speedrun bonus allow games to get speedrun bonus points if the game is released less than one month old (does not matter how long it takes one to plat). 
  • Series stacker be changed to cap at six games. with 25pts starting and every game stacks 25 pts more (short easy ones less rewarding just read below)
  • Seasonal bonus be limited to 4 per three months(real seasonal!) or 1 per month. I feel seasonal is against the whole idea of playing RPGs in relaxing and free time, 4 for a month would easily attract people going for short ones just to satisfy the need for bonus. So bonus need to be limited! For a regular gamer, playing 4 RPGs per month is already a lot to ask and sometimes a luxury thought. Also just my two cents, seasonal need to be more clear on what's needed like a screenshot or actual word appearing in dialogues so it does get abused. 
  • Speedrun be limited to 30 points each and max four titles per month, reason being it's also against the idea of relaxing and quality gaming. A lot of RPGs come with two modes. For example trails cold steel IV guide says 150hrs but in speedmode it could take less than three days to plat thus promoting speedrun is killing the fun of reading and employing strategies.  
  • The last but not the least:  Add game difficulty penalty/bonus and game length penalty/bonus below:

difficulty level (1-10, 1 being easiest):

1-2,  -30pts, (minus 30 pts)

3-4, +0

5-6, +30

7-8, +60

9-10, +100

Game length:

0-20 hrs, -30 pts (minus 30pts)

20-40 hrs, +0

40-60 hrs, +30

60-100 hrs, +60

100 hrs and above: +100 pts

One can always use a posted trophy guide for reference. For new games or games that lack information, use best judgement (😂). If any of this sounds okay, it adds a lot of work to @Psy-Tychist, I can help on that. I won't join the next comp (expecting a newborn in a couple months that's a lot of responsibilities eeerraaah), so I can help especially on checking difficulty and length stuff reported bonus. The whole point is for people to have fun, so nobody would go around and run each other the wrong way. 

Edited by YokA_sun

6 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

As with many arguments about making it fairer, I get that RPG's are the most time intensive besides Strategy and Management games and there should be rewards to that. Mentioned above, I always want an easy way to make that possible which competitors can check and/or have a generally easy calculation to compare. Ideas are most welcome.

Well to put it simply with something you have already the point loss system based on how much you minus can be flipped and make it base on a time where the base starts instead of the flat 100 you have it at, like if you do a game between 1-10hrs long u start at 25 where as a 100+ hr game starts at 150.  I know some people might think its unfair but when you add it up 10 10hrs games at 25 would pass that 100+ 150 points one.

Another idea similar to your seasonals would be something I'm sure every gamer has encountered at one point (especially in rpgs) and that is in challenges they could complete during the competition like say catch fishes in 10 different games, make level out in X amount of games, do max damage in a X amount of game, stuff like that for say extra 100-1000 points depending on how hard the challenge is. That way at least when you cut one thing out you can at least give them something else they can work on to balance it out.

@YokA_sun your imagining things I swear 😉

@YokA_sun : Two thoughts on your commentary above.

First, my suggestion was that "New Release" and "Speed Run" should be an "either / or" situation.  That you could get points for one, but not for both.  I have absolutely no problem with the notion that anybody who finishes a game within a month of its' release should get the 50 points, whether they're the first player to finish the game or the fiftieth or the ten-thousandth.  I just have a problem with the idea that you can get both bonuses and spike your score that way.

Second, on the notion of point bonuses for "difficulty" or "time required to beat"?  And using trophy guides as the guideline for this?  That makes me very nervous, because there isn't one set standard for how guide-writers derive their numbers.  As a guide-writer myself, I've had this discussion many a time because my definition of "difficult" is very different from other peoples' definitions; I've had many a comment directed at me because I'll call a game 3/10 when "the consensus" is that it's 7/10 or 8/10.

I just think that adding a subjective measure into the scoring can create more issues than it's likely to solve.

33 minutes ago, acasser said:

@YokA_sun : Two thoughts on your commentary above.

First, my suggestion was that "New Release" and "Speed Run" should be an "either / or" situation.  That you could get points for one, but not for both.  I have absolutely no problem with the notion that anybody who finishes a game within a month of its' release should get the 50 points, whether they're the first player to finish the game or the fiftieth or the ten-thousandth.  I just have a problem with the idea that you can get both bonuses and spike your score that way.

Second, on the notion of point bonuses for "difficulty" or "time required to beat"?  And using trophy guides as the guideline for this?  That makes me very nervous, because there isn't one set standard for how guide-writers derive their numbers.  As a guide-writer myself, I've had this discussion many a time because my definition of "difficult" is very different from other peoples' definitions; I've had many a comment directed at me because I'll call a game 3/10 when "the consensus" is that it's 7/10 or 8/10.

I just think that adding a subjective measure into the scoring can create more issues than it's likely to solve.

Correct but that's also my point: new release+speed run is greater than 50pts if not 100pts. Meaning getting speedrun for new games is generally harder than that for a regular game just speaking from my own experiences. For a regular game that exists for a time, getting 'speedrun' is almost given as long as you use a guide and set up some daily gaming time. However for new games it means usually i need to watch the timer and really "speed" it. I will give you one example, for FFVI at new release I barely made it for top 25 (23/200 or something), however given almost a year passed, now I sit at 37 out 2767, now the cut time for 10% is 4 days 4 hours which doubles that of the speedrun for new release (2 days 2 hour). The percentage goes back from 10% to 1.33%. Now sure someone can just go for new game and grab that 50 points as either/or without worrying about speedrun, but if someone uses the speedrun calculation then it's not 10% it's much high demanding. Doesn't that deserve some points? At least new games does not overlap with the current speedrun calculation. Just saying imo it's not either/or. It's "and". So that's why i suggest removing new game bonus completely however allow people to plat in their own pace on new games for speedrun bonus. The end result line up with your suggestion 100%, so we are on the same page. 

But I also agree there are many occasions speedrun is just free points when there is very few players who play the game at release especially given the trophy hunter community shrinks every year (feels like) and many don't register on psnp here. So I support the idea of removing new games bonus for different reasons. I think one should not be encouraged to grab new games just for bonus points. One should choose whatever games s/he likes. :)

About difficulty and time, there is just no perfect solutions. If we all agree difficulty and time should be considered then what could be a better way? It's like playing tennis game when rules are based on courtesy calls and everyone is responsible for their own calling. No one is playing anything for any money. I do suggest some side umpire to make that final call with a question arise. Guides are all we have now, we have other leaderboard/events where game difficulty and time length are fully based on trophy guides and I don't see many problems. Just my opinion.:)

A question: For Disgaea 4 and Star Ocean: The Last Hope, can we use the enhanced version(Disgaea 4 Complete+ and Star Ocean: The Last Hope International)? I know that I am going to do the PS4 version of FFXIV and I put Mugen Souls in my Platinum Difficulty Challenge list, but I'd like to try for more than two games.

i gonna look trough my rpg backlog wich one i going to use for douple point and triple point game. its still undecided wich one i want to use for douple point and triple point games.for me playing easy games is now over i want to enjoy rpg games with good and hard games from rpg. i am glad that there are some changes trough series stacker because last event was just a bit ruined by the series stacker now maybe everyone have a chance for to win the rpg mania event from 2024.

So my timing sucks. 😀

I completed Diablo II: Resurrected and last year before I knew this event was a thing and have just completed 9th Dawn III yesterday.

Oh well, I'm still extremely happy to have both of them in my cabinet.

My main focus this year is the 2024 Difficulty Challenge but I do have a list full of RPG's.

So please sign me up, I'm not likely to trouble the leaders but I'm happy to participate.

On 3/2/2024 at 5:50 PM, AlterArchuria said:

I know Monster Hunter Rise and Sunbreak kept me back from finishing more games because it took weeks to finish and by the end the point value wasn't much because half the list was DLC. There's always going to be certain types of RPG that just can't have the benefit of a points bonus.