I really want these servers to come back :(

ForlornBee9016

Yeah I feel you, I was wanting to get all the Ghostbusters platinums but then I remembered the servers for that are LONG dead, probably one of the earlier casualties of server shutdowns. Also, expensive VR game so double ouch.

Maybe one day developers will stop adding unnecessary multiplayer modes with trophies tied to them.

Or they probably just don't care.

1 hour ago, Dry said:

Fifteen years ago (2009) I was seven turning eight years old in grade two of primary school. There was almost certainly no chance I could’ve achieved all online trophies from, let alone played Far Cry 2 in its first few years post launch so please don’t tell us we had a whole decade and a half to do so because some of us here just couldn’t have even if we really wanted to.

Well then how about the last 5 years where you were the legal age requirement to play the game?

Busy schedule huh? 😂

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Xillynoc said:

Not that the OP is being realistic to ask for PS3 servers to just "come back" in 2024, but responses like these are a little short-sighted. Not everyone learns about older games with multiplayer crap before the servers go down; as the years stretch on, you're going to have more and more gamers at least regretful that they won't ever be able to get the plat for a title whose support ended before their gaming career began, and it's not somehow their fault that they didn't start earlier or know things sooner.

That might be true, and surely happens, but responses like these are a little naive.

Let's be honest, loads of people let games sit on the shelf until they get the notification that the servers are going down, then rush to get everything done in a few days, or worse, bitch when they can't finish everything on time. Just look at the player counts when a server closure gets announced.

Hell, I've done this on many an occasion myself... and many online trophies are now locked for me, but yeah it is what it is, my own damn fault, just as it is in most of these cases...

2 hours ago, Dry said:

Fifteen years ago (2009) I was seven turning eight years old in grade two of primary school. There was almost certainly no chance I could’ve achieved all online trophies from, let alone played Far Cry 2 in its first few years post launch so please don’t tell us we had a whole decade and a half to do so because some of us here just couldn’t have even if we really wanted to.

Seeing 2009 written alongside 15 years ago is insane. Just made me realise how long ago that actually was. Thanks for making me feel old. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, colia100 said:

Busy schedule huh? 

Yup. My colossal backlog plus all activities beyond spending time on any one of my PlayStation consoles.

• Like 1

I never understood why ppl dont start by the online part in first because its the most dangerous part for a plat (server shutdown, problem of server etc...) this is an old 15 years game so you had enough time to complete the online part, all servers will be not avalaible forever 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

What a silly reply, lmao.

Why? He is right. People always cry about waaah servers are offline yadda yadda. If you really cared about it you would play it before and if you didn't had the chance well. This is life and life goes on.

I also can't platinum bo2 because I Never payed attention to the trophy back in 2013 and shit happens. It's not available anymore and I have to move on. 

People have to accept it's over. Bye bye, move on. People stuck in their EVERYTHING MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR ME RIGHT NOW!!!

And if you really care about this game and story. Create a new account, play the story and move on (if you are a completionist)

Edited by ShadyWARcotix
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

Games and age dont always fit together, or not at all.

Like my kids will never enjoy Donkey Kong Country the way that I did. Not because the game couldnt be played anymore, but just because they wont appreciate how well done (especially for its time) it was. AND because it has no trophies, or no open world, or no MTX to suck my credit card empty.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jinkelz said:

Games and age dont always fit together, or not at all.

Like my kids will never enjoy Donkey Kong Country the way that I did. Not because the game couldnt be played anymore, but just because they wont appreciate how well done (especially for its time) it was. AND because it has no trophies, or no open world, or no MTX to suck my credit card empty.

Have you actually played DKC with them? Or just assuming they wont enjoy it lol

4 hours ago, colia100 said:

They were up for nearly 15 years 🤷‍♂️

A lot of people would go for it since people love Far Cry and doing series completions. We never got an announcement. They just shut it down randomly one day.

• Like 2

The thing with most online services for products launched back in 2009 or so is that they are most certainly only up on pure chance. The exceptions being supported products (ones that are contributing revenue) like World of Warcraft and so on.

I very much doubt there has been a dedicated team for FC2 in way over a decade. Nobody at Ubisoft probably even knew the game was still up for the past decade. Would not be too surprised if the server and service tech itself started to be outdated, at which point it would just stop working altogether (stuff like certificates expiring and so on).

That's probably pretty close to the unfortunate reality of the situation. And it does make sense as I don't think there was much of a player base "enjoying" the game in its intended way in ages. Sure, you had people like me visiting the game for 50 hours to boost the trophies, and even if that did to a degree make me a happy customer of Ubisoft's, that's probably not what their intent was.

On a positive side, at least modern service games have this timeline very well communicated. The expectation is that they'll all pretty much shut down in the first two years of service, unless the live service itself is by some miracle successful. But anyone still looking into doing online stuff that's over a decade old (for PS3 games, for PS4 I'd say three years is the safe limit), stalling does expose you to the risk of the service going down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xillynoc said:

Not that the OP is being realistic to ask for PS3 servers to just "come back" in 2024, but responses like these are a little short-sighted. Not everyone learns about older games with multiplayer crap before the servers go down; as the years stretch on, you're going to have more and more gamers at least regretful that they won't ever be able to get the plat for a title whose support ended before their gaming career began, and it's not somehow their fault that they didn't start earlier or know things sooner.

totally agree, to many of us just think everyone is as old as we are. when i bought my ps3 some of these gamers were in gradeschool playing kickball. and now in their early 20s prob dont make alot of money so their buying old budget games. i still help alot of people get their ps3s working after the login switch and theres still a good deal of ps3 members. and even some  who just left the gaming world for years due to life outside of gaming and now are back from being single or divorced etc.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Prometheous101 said:

A lot of people would go for it since people love Far Cry and doing series completions. We never got an announcement. They just shut it down randomly one day.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game (PS3) owners who started the game before November 14, 2012 and are missing at least one online trophy:

07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpe

• Like 1