Any advice of the Cosmo Canyon's piano mini game?

I've been completing 100% of everything the game has thrown at me from the beginning, but I hit a brick wall at the piano in Cosmo Canyon. I once got 16800 points, but now I can't get anywhere close to that again, let alone reach 17400.

I've watched videos, spent hours trying to memorize the note, but I end up missing too many notes.

I don't want this to make the platinum unreachable for me.

For me, I tried it about 6 times in a row netting about 16800 to 17000. Kept getting pissed, but then I tried setting the note speed up only one notch. Tat try, i got 18900. 

I think the frustration comes more from hitting the note too early. Don't be afraid to speed up the notes as it may fall in line with your anticipation of hitting the note. 

• Like 1

Here is my recording of "Two Legs? Nothin' To It." S-rank.  Other 5 S-rank video at my channel (not tried 6th and 7th yet)

"Two Legs" is slightly better than "Cinco de Chocobo", since Chocobo is a 5/4 piece and I am not used to odd time signatures. At least Two Legs is more musical and melodic than Chocobo. "Two Legs" is harder to S-rank in the sense that its input is more dense, and there are more transition between phases. 

Some sharing:

• at 0:35 - 0:41 of my video, don't rush to attempt or YOU DIED is resulted. First listen a few ten times to get familiar with the bars with those off-beats. 
  • for the ten consecutive notes from 0:44, only the last Cm9 & Do are simultaneous, others are single inputs.
  • at 1:23, beware that the G minor chord pairs with Si b. For unknown reasons I often see them as two consecutive beats.
  • at 2:04, the C minor9 and the Do note are not the same beat, Cm9 is the 8th beat of the last bar, while Do is the 1st beat of a new bar.
  • depending on individuals, try either (1) sitting close to the monitor, position your body in front of the wheels, focus your sight at between the two wheels so that you see both wheels with peripheral vision, OR (2) sitting far so you see both wheels with your normal focused sight. (1) works for me better.
  • Someone else says mute the song. You may try but not for the first few attempts. Getting yourself grooving with the music also helps. You will find that songs consist with some phases (e.g. verses are repeating, chorus are repeating after the repeated verse). Effectively, you are not practicing the whole song, but different blocks which will be reused. Muting it disables your brain from identifying the repeats (say, verse 2), and thus you cannot re-apply the practice done for the verse 1, for example.

Edited by R_vNistelrooy
  • Like 2

I muted "Cinco De Chocobo" which works for me. Though it has an odd time signature, i cant really rely on my ears on hitting perfect notes.

Now, on two legs, I tried muting it again, but I got B on my first try, repeating it again, un-muted, and got A on 2nd try.  

I just sit close enough and focus enough to get at least "A" for this one. 

2 hours ago, tipipeski said:

I muted "Cinco De Chocobo" which works for me. Though it has an odd time signature, i cant really rely on my ears on hitting perfect notes.

Now, on two legs, I tried muting it again, but I got B on my first try, repeating it again, un-muted, and got A on 2nd try.  

I just sit close enough and focus enough to get at least "A" for this one. 

me too, i am done with that song, that ridiculous that mute sound in this game make it easier to get high score in rymth minigame, never seen any maniac make rymth game using analog stick

spacer.png

Edited by ShariusTC
  • Haha 1

Last night I did Cinco de Chocobo with an A Rank with the first time speeding it up +1, then muted the TV and got Two Legs to a B Rank. I felt like taking a break and do other stuff, I'll get back to it in the next couple days. The other 4, I was able to do with no problem, but Two Legs is just crazy.

Edited by Nitemares-----

11 hours ago, R_vNistelrooy said:

Here is my recording of "Two Legs? Nothin' To It." S-rank.  Other 5 S-rank video at my channel (not tried 6th and 7th yet)

"Two Legs" is slightly better than "Cinco de Chocobo", since Chocobo is a 5/4 piece and I am not used to odd time signatures. At least Two Legs is more musical and melodic than Chocobo. "Two Legs" is harder to S-rank in the sense that its input is more dense, and there are more transition between phases. 

Some sharing:

• at 0:35 - 0:41 of my video, don't rush to attempt or YOU DIED is resulted. First listen a few ten times to get familiar with the bars with those off-beats. 
  • for the ten consecutive notes from 0:44, only the last Cm9 & Do are simultaneous, others are single inputs.
  • at 1:23, beware that the G minor chord pairs with Si b. For unknown reasons I often see them as two consecutive beats.
  • at 2:04, the C minor9 and the Do note are not the same beat, Cm9 is the 8th beat of the last bar, while Do is the 1st beat of a new bar.
  • depending on individuals, try either (1) sitting close to the monitor, position your body in front of the wheels, focus your sight at between the two wheels so that you see both wheels with peripheral vision, OR (2) sitting far so you see both wheels with your normal focused sight. (1) works for me better.
  • Someone else says mute the song. You may try but not for the first few attempts. Getting yourself grooving with the music also helps. You will find that songs consist with some phases (e.g. verses are repeating, chorus are repeating after the repeated verse). Effectively, you are not practicing the whole song, but different blocks which will be reused. Muting it disables your brain from identifying the repeats (say, verse 2), and thus you cannot re-apply the practice done for the verse 1, for example.

Agreed with this. Cino de chocobo i had to reduce to speed 2 to get an A rank, so it took me longer since I was playing on speed 3 from the start of the game. For two legs, i stuck with speed 2 but after 15mins or so, i chanfed to speed 3 and got it relatively easily. Foe rhe music minigames i either stand up or sit every close to the tv and drown the sound out and try to look at the centre of both dials. Since no one seems to be complaining about the last piece, I hope its easier or at least on the same level as these two. 

Just tried today a couple times with my tv muted and it feels easier. Got a B only like 400 or 500 pounts down, so I'm positive that tomorrow I will achieve it. Or maybe I left this one until I find another song to play.

Had the g/f do the left hand side, I did the right.

Took a couple tries, but eventually got it pretty easily. Bit awkward trying to hold the controller steady but once you get it down it's not bad. 

That was the only one that really sucked to do. 

8 hours ago, abhinandhan22 said:

Agreed with this. Cino de chocobo i had to reduce to speed 2 to get an A rank, so it took me longer since I was playing on speed 3 from the start of the game. For two legs, i stuck with speed 2 but after 15mins or so, i chanfed to speed 3 and got it relatively easily. Foe rhe music minigames i either stand up or sit every close to the tv and drown the sound out and try to look at the centre of both dials. Since no one seems to be complaining about the last piece, I hope its easier or at least on the same level as these two. 

The last piece Aerith's Theme is easy (not just easier). Not posting the video here but all six are uploaded to my Youtube page (same channel the one above).

Btw, I do all six pieces with the lowest note speed (i.e. 1 out of 5), partly because it is slower (you don't say), partly because I input with body grooving and that provide sufficient preview of the upcoming input. Say for Yakuza's karaoke, I sit farther since the notes on screen is much more and longer. For FF7, sitting closer is better.

To conclude as someone okay at rhythm game, here is the overall difficulty for the trophy-related pieces:

to S-rank: Two Legs >>> Chocobo >> Barret > Aerith = Tifa > On Our Way

to A-rank: Chocobo > Two Legs > Barret > Aerith = Tifa = On Our Way

oh my god, I finally did an A rank for that song! I was always like 500 points down and doing it with my tv muted was the trick.

And now this guy gave me the Let the Battles Begin! song and it's a hell too. Do we need to rank A in this one too?

9 minutes ago, breakXedge said:

oh my god, I finally did an A rank for that song! I was always like 500 points down and doing it with my tv muted was the trick.

And now this guy gave me the Let the Battles Begin! song and it's a hell too. Do we need to rank A in this one too?

Nah, there's no incentive to A rank that song, or the secret 8th song. The last two songs are only for bragging rights, there's not even a check mark in the play log for them

Also, just for my personal bragging rights:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by Attenziono
  • Like 2