DO NOT INSTALL PATCH 1.02 ("Can't Stop Won't Stop" Side Quest Bugged)

3 hours ago, den-69 said:

Dang these people gave me hope that it was fine as long as you hadn't started the quest before 1.02 so I let my game update lol. Only 2 quests left to do before it and really hoping they patch it soon...

It's definitely not to do with starting the quest on the latest patch thats for sure! I played the entire chapter on the latest patch and have still had the same issues. Only thing I can think of is that maybe already beating his high score prior to the quest starting is making the game bug out? The only hope is a quick patch as it is one of the last things I need to do before the point of no return. Hopefully it gets sorted soon... I have a feeling it might take a while though...

I got the bug too. To clarify on criteria and testing:

I started the quest AFTER the 1.02 patch. I left G-bike until last, like many others did - bug triggered.

I reloaded a save and re-started the quest from the beginning. Did G-bike first this time - bug triggered again.

I had no pre-existing high score on G-Bike before starting the quest - not even Rank 1 - so this is unlikely the cause.

So tracing the cause or trigger of the fault seems a mystery to me, given it doesn't happen to everyone. Good luck to anyone trying to figure it out.

Deleting the game and re-installing to 1.0 worked perfectly as attested above by others. This is why I always buy physical, where it's an option. Plus re-sale value of course.

And finally to reaffirm - 1.02 save files DO work fine on the 1.00 version. I'm grateful for this - often it's not the case!

I might just be repeating others here, but I hope this helps. Honestly the most painful part of the workaround is the one-hour 144GB install - that sucked, having started it at 11pm.

Edited by richoxer
  • Like 4

Im only at the start of chapter 9 atm.

Is the play to not take the quest on 1.02, downgrade to base disc version, do the quest, then redownload the patch?

When is the earliest you can do this quest?

3 minutes ago, ZeromusF4 said:

Im only at the start of chapter 9 atm.

Is the play to not take the quest on 1.02, downgrade to base disc version, do the quest, then redownload the patch?

When is the earliest you can do this quest?

Earliest you can do the quest is the end of chapter 12, and you must complete every other sidequest before it unlocks. You can play the rest of the game to get to that point on the current patch, you just need to downgrade before starting the quest.

Another one here hit by the bug. Just to clarify, I started the quest this morning, so patch 1.02 already installed. All minigames went OK but not G-Bike. I've received credits for beating his score but the mission just bug out. I'm now installing again from disc to play on 1.00.

I didn't get the bug on hard. I completed the side quest on normal before the patch, then re-did on hard after patch and everything was fine. So, maybe do it on hard? You need the related colosseum battle on hard to get a manuscript anyway. 

13 hours ago, den-69 said:

Dang these people gave me hope that it was fine as long as you hadn't started the quest before 1.02 so I let my game update lol. Only 2 quests left to do before it and really hoping they patch it soon...

Yeah, I was hoping the same.  I deleted/reinstalled the game without the patch last night.  Works fine like that.  Mine's a Gamefly rental, so I didn't want to wait for a patch that will come who knows when.

14 hours ago, EthanPR123 said:

It's definitely not to do with starting the quest on the latest patch thats for sure! I played the entire chapter on the latest patch and have still had the same issues. Only thing I can think of is that maybe already beating his high score prior to the quest starting is making the game bug out? The only hope is a quick patch as it is one of the last things I need to do before the point of no return. Hopefully it gets sorted soon... I have a feeling it might take a while though...

I hadn't started the entire chapter until after the patch, and the bug is affecting me... I also had not already beaten his score, but I had beaten rank 3. Maybe that's the issue? Already being in the top rank?

Finally got an update from the Square Enix support email and it seems like they are finally acknowledging the issue:

"Dear Customer,

We are sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the "Can't Stop Won't Stop" quest in FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH. We are aware of the issue that you reported and have forwarded it to the developers, but we currently do not have any details on when it may be fixed.

We can only advise you keep checking for any game updates and check our social media sites for more information on future updates.

Kind Regards,
The Square Enix Customer Support Centre team"

Guess we have to wait and see on that patch...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

I am playing the digital version but i also own a physical copy of the game. Will my save from 1.02 version be compatible with 1.00 version?

I plan to do this quest on 1.00 and then redownload digital version and resume there 

physical 1.02 is compatible with 1.00 game. I assume it'll be the same for the digital version but guess you'll have to try.

• Like 1

So if I start the game from scratch will I still be susceptible to the glitch?

Haven't started the game yet as I wanted to finish some games first but now I'm skeptical, kinda of a bummer ngl.

I didn't want to test fate (or the specters), but I can confirm that the trophy will pop even when completing the other three parts of the quest at v1.02 and then completing the bike and 3-d brawler parts at v1.00 after a reinstall from disc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sunny said:

So if I start the game from scratch will I still be susceptible to the glitch?

Haven't started the game yet as I wanted to finish some games first but now I'm skeptical, kinda of a bummer ngl.

I'm pretty sure there will be a patch before you reach this point but still, if you manage to bug yourself, you can downgrade the game and still get the trophy.

• Like 1

Gave it a shot. Thankfully it didn't bug on me. I'll try to state everything I did leading up to it in my play session in case the answer is somewhere there. I'm playing on a physical copy. I was already in the postgame. In chapter 13. Currently on Easy. Was in Graphics mode. It was one of the last minigame-related things I needed to do (still need crunches and Cactuar Crush, but that's it now).

My play session:

- I did all of the Chocobo Race II races except the first race in that section, which I did last night.

- I did the Gold Cup while getting first in every race (watching all the cutscenes relating to that sidequest, which was my last one). I had a save before and after the Gold Cup.

- Accepted the final quest from the Costa del Sol notice board.

- Returned to Gold Saucer and began the quest. Didn't skip any scenes.

- Immediately went for the G-Bike. Created another save before trying G-Bike.

- Took three tries to get the necessary score. I only achieved Rank III when I beat the UPA score.

Don't know if any of this stands out. My lone theory could be the fact I was in Graphics mode. The split Performance options were added in the same patch, so maybe there's a connection there. I assume many immediately went for the 60fps settings (and the fact it helps in crunches and Space Ranger) while others, like myself, decided to stick with the full 4K. Might be worth testing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BrilloHD said:

Gave it a shot. Thankfully it didn't bug on me. I'll try to state everything I did leading up to it in my play session in case the answer is somewhere there. I'm playing on a physical copy. I was already in the postgame. In chapter 13. Currently on Easy. Was in Graphics mode. It was one of the last minigame-related things I needed to do (still need crunches and Cactuar Crush, but that's it now).

My play session:

- I did all of the Chocobo Race II races except the first race in that section, which I did last night.

- I did the Gold Cup while getting first in every race (watching all the cutscenes relating to that sidequest, which was my last one). I had a save before and after the Gold Cup.

- Accepted the final quest from the Costa del Sol notice board.

- Returned to Gold Saucer and began the quest. Didn't skip any scenes.

- Immediately went for the G-Bike. Created another save before trying G-Bike.

- Took three tries to get the necessary score. I only achieved Rank III when I beat the UPA score.

Don't know if any of this stands out. My lone theory could be the fact I was in Graphics mode. The split Performance options were added in the same patch, so maybe there's a connection there. I assume many immediately went for the 60fps settings (and the fact it helps in crunches and Space Ranger) while others, like myself, decided to stick with the full 4K. Might be worth testing.

Can confirm that this worked for me. Did it on "Performance - Sharp" before this and got a high score, but the objective did NOT register as complete. Per BrilloHD, I set my graphics to "Graphics" and got the high score again (32500) and the objective completed. Thanks BrilloHD!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, TriplEEE13 said:

Can confirm that this worked for me. Did it on "Performance - Sharp" before this and got a high score, but the objective did NOT register as complete. Per BrilloHD, I set my graphics to "Graphics" and got the high score again (32500) and the objective completed. Thanks BrilloHD!

Playing on performance mode is probably causing the bug, then. Makes sense that the quest was bugged for some and not others. Hopefully that actually is the case. Much better work around to play on graphics mode for a few minutes than reinstall the entire game.

Edited by NathanW18

3 minutes ago, NathanW18 said:

Playing on performance mode is probably causing the bug, then. Makes sense that the quest was bugged for some and not others. Hopefully that actually is the case. Much better work around to play on graphics mode for a few minutes than reinstall the entire game.

Don’t think it is this as I have played the entire game on graphics mode and have the bug, so it’s definitely not exclusive to performance mode. Might be just swapping the mode in general fixes it? Might be something to test.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EthanPR123 said:

Don’t think it is this as I have played the entire game on graphics mode and have the bug, so it’s definitely not exclusive to performance mode. Might be just swapping the mode in general fixes it? Might be something to test.

Ah, damn. That could be it as well. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Just chiming in with my own experience. I'm playing the quest on hard mode and have had no issue getting my G-Bike score to register, or any of the other scores. I started it post-patch, I'm in performance mode, and I had already previously beaten all of his high scores.

Despite all of this, the quest progressed just fine for me.

On 3/25/2024 at 5:38 PM, nudoetcrudo said:

I didn't get the bug on hard. I completed the side quest on normal before the patch, then re-did on hard after patch and everything was fine. So, maybe do it on hard? You need the related colosseum battle on hard to get a manuscript anyway. 

Off topic but how did you beat the colosseum battle on hard mode? I'm stuck on it right now. Just getting through round 1 with the giant cactuars was absolute hell, and round 2 with the tonberries is very annoying even with anti-instant death gear, because they keep binding me, but the real wall is round 4 : the two jokers + gigantoad. I already struggled with that when I did the quest on normal mode, but doing it on hard mode is sheer insanity.

What characters and builds did you use for it, if you don't mind my asking?

9 minutes ago, Nick240894 said:

Just chiming in with my own experience. I'm playing the quest on hard mode and have had no issue getting my G-Bike score to register, or any of the other scores. I started it post-patch, I'm in performance mode, and I had already previously beaten all of his high scores.

Despite all of this, the quest progressed just fine for me.

Off topic but how did you beat the colosseum battle on hard mode? I'm stuck on it right now. Just getting through round 1 with the giant cactuars was absolute hell, and round 2 with the tonberries is very annoying even with anti-instant death gear, because they keep binding me, but the real wall is round 4 : the two jokers + gigantoad. I already struggled with that when I did the quest on normal mode, but doing it on hard mode is sheer insanity.

What characters and builds did you use for it, if you don't mind my asking?

I have been playing offline since i started chapter 12 because of this glitch(reinstalled to 1.00) but i am wonderibg do we need to beat the quest on hard for anything or is it for the optional cait sith manuscript. 

3 minutes ago, abhinandhan22 said:

I have been playing offline since i started chapter 12 because of this glitch(reinstalled to 1.00) but i am wonderibg do we need to beat the quest on hard for anything or is it for the optional cait sith manuscript. 

You don't need to do it for platinum, the manuscript is indeed the only reason to do it. I'm going for a 100% play log which is why I'm doing it.

It's absolute hell though.