How do you go about your plat runs?

TheSmoothLefty

Wasn't sure where to put this topic so mods please move to a more suitable forum if needed

So how does everyone go about their plats? Do you tend to just play 1 game until you get that oh so sweet platinum trophy or do you play multiple games at a time?

At the minute I've got 3 games I'm playing through and maiing progress on the platinum, so I'm playing an hour or so on 1, then putting another on and playing a bit on that and then a bit of time on another game and so on until I plat 1.

I've got a list of games I've put together that I am going to plat so once ones done just pick another then repeat. Interested to see how everyone else does it.

• Like 1

I tend to have between 2-4 games on the go at once. Two games i am actively playing, so maybe its the first playthrough, a hard run or im sorting collectables etc. The other one or two games are more passive, think multiplayer grinds etc. I need to hit the max level, play x games or win 100 matches. These are my relax games as i dont need to think just playing is enough. If i play anymore games i tend to forget, or lose track or interest. 

My current active games are Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time and Commandoes 2 HD, and Deep Rock Galactic (almost finished!) and The Finals for passive. 

Edited by Cpt-Redding
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cpt-Redding said:

I tend to have between 2-4 games on the go at once. Two games i am actively playing, so maybe its the first playthrough, a hard run or im sorting collectables etc. The other one or two games are more passive, think multiplayer grinds etc. I need to hit the max level, play x games or win 100 matches. These are my relax games as i dont need to think just playing is enough. If i play anymore games i tend to forget, or lose track or interest. 

My current active games are Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time and Commandoes 2 HD, and Deep Rock Galactic (almost finished!) and The Finals for passive. 

I have a similar approach to this. I don't necessarily have a specific amount of games I'm working on - sometimes I just have a plethora it seems - but I do have active games and passive games.

Sometimes I get to the point where I also start just tackling the passive games all at once to knock it out. That's what I did with Crash Team Rumble, for example. I had the final grind left and when I started it was just a little experience every now and then, but then I wanted to just get it over with so I dedicated time to it and just got it done.

More than any of this, my platinum hunt method is to always do the hardest thing first. I will nearly always try to knock out the hardest platinum requirements sooner than later. I enjoy the feeling of knowing the hard stuff is done, so  now I can just enjoy the final stretch of easy clean-up. The only times I don't do this are when I'm required to play a different difficulty (for example) in order to unlock the hardest one.

For example, currently I'm working on the game Butcher (which is a blast of fun btw) but to unlock the Impossible difficulty you have to collect a certain number of the collectibles. You also have to play on each difficulty anyway. Had "Impossible" been unlocked from the beginning I'd have done that first and then gone down in difficulty with each playthrough so that my final run is on the easiest one required.

46 minutes ago, NoMoreUpdates said:

I have a similar approach to this. I don't necessarily have a specific amount of games I'm working on - sometimes I just have a plethora it seems - but I do have active games and passive games.

Sometimes I get to the point where I also start just tackling the passive games all at once to knock it out. That's what I did with Crash Team Rumble, for example. I had the final grind left and when I started it was just a little experience every now and then, but then I wanted to just get it over with so I dedicated time to it and just got it done.

More than any of this, my platinum hunt method is to always do the hardest thing first. I will nearly always try to knock out the hardest platinum requirements sooner than later. I enjoy the feeling of knowing the hard stuff is done, so  now I can just enjoy the final stretch of easy clean-up. The only times I don't do this are when I'm required to play a different difficulty (for example) in order to unlock the hardest one.

For example, currently I'm working on the game Butcher (which is a blast of fun btw) but to unlock the Impossible difficulty you have to collect a certain number of the collectibles. You also have to play on each difficulty anyway. Had "Impossible" been unlocked from the beginning I'd have done that first and then gone down in difficulty with each playthrough so that my final run is on the easiest one required.

I get the idea of just wanting to finish a game, that is me sort of now with Deep Rock, but when i get that like that these days i tend to leave the game for a little. Too often the end of the journey starts grinding on me a little and lessens my enjoyment of the game so now i try and avoid that and just put the game down for a little. 

Doing the hard stuff first is interesting. I tend to always play games on the hardest difficulty (if required for a trophy) first, but i dont actively get the hard trophies out the way first, especially as i like my first playthrough to be "blind", just playing through and experiencing the game for what it is. 

Edited by Cpt-Redding
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cpt-Redding said:

I get the idea of just wanting to finish a game, that is me sort of now with Deep Rock, but when i get that like that these days i tend to leave the game for a little. Too often the end of the journey starts grinding on me a little and lessens my enjoyment of the game so now i try and avoid that and just put the game down for a little. 

Doing the hard stuff first is interesting. I tend to always play games on the hardest difficulty (if required for a trophy) first, but i dont actively get the hard trophies out the way first, especially as i like my first playthrough to be "blind", just playing through and experiencing the game for what it is. 

Fair enough / yeah I just always enjoy having the challenge removed as soon as possible. I then just cruise on the rest of the game, and then if I so desire I'll pay attention to the story on the easier playthrough when I don't have to be on edge for the gameplay.

As for the passive stuff, those games I just dig into it always will make me lose enjoyment of the game, but honestly I don't mind in the end. Once it's done it's not like I'll be playing it again anymore anyway.  I've only ever continued to play a game after the platinum twice and that was Destiny and Destiny 2. lol

I just play whatever and whenever I want. As of late I tend to pay more attention to the trophies and if the game has a doable trophy lists. Sometimes a trophy list puts me off from playing a game. But I just play what I want to play. Sometimes I play a backlog game and sometimes a new game, some. chill games. 

• Like 2

Normally I have one multiplayer game and one single player game I'm working on simultaneously.

However lately I've been just grinding multiplayer only games and made very little progress on any single player games.

Depends on many factors, but if the game is very big and time consuming, I usually play multiple games - not necessarily on the same console - to relax and take my time. It's hard for me to focus exclusively on one game for months or years - even with DRG despite me playing a ton of it, I still had other games too.

At the moment I usually stick to 2-3 games at a time:

- One game I'll be playing by myself at a more leisurely pace;

- A second with my partner watching or helping; and

- A third when I have the time needed to go for a fastest achiever time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerritjr28 said:

I just play whatever and whenever I want. As of late I tend to pay more attention to the trophies and if the game has a doable trophy lists. Sometimes a trophy list puts me off from playing a game. But I just play what I want to play. Sometimes I play a backlog game and sometimes a new game, some. chill games. 

This is pretty much how I decide if I'm going to plat a game that I'm playing. I don't get as much time gaming as I used to do so going for plats with stupid requirements or any multiplayer trophies are a no for me.

• Like 1

I do play some live service, so no escape doing them daily, but most are 100%. For actual platinum new/different games. 1 by 1 most of the time. But lately /i have been playing more than one because games leaving ps+ extra and trying to finish unfinished games from before.

It depends on the game. If it's something that's shorter and I'm enjoying it, I will play until platinum. Otherwise it gets played for an evening and eventually I'll come back to it once I've cycled through stuff I think I want to play but don't actually. I'm trying to stop that as I want to finish the things I start. 

Usually I play 1 game at the time until I get the platinum. 

but I’m going to try a new approach, I’ll beat a bunch of games (at least 5-6) without looking at the trophies. and then come back to the ones that are worth platting.

I get burnt out fast if I only play a single game, so I usually have a lot of different games installed.

Generally I'll have one or two "main games" (for example right now I'm playing through NFS Heat), one or two multiplayer games that I play with my friend (Helldivers 2), one or two couch games to play with my girlfriend (Overcooked and FFX), a few big games that require a bit of grinding that I play semi-regularly (Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, Monster Hunter: World...), and a few smaller games that I only play for a little bit before wanting to move on (Erica, Bridge Constructor Portal).

More often than not, I’m focused on one game at a time. I might drop a game for a bit if it starts to get very grindy and I need a break or if my friends and I start a new mp/online coop game.

I forget and mess up controls and mechanics really easily when I play multiple games at the same time and it’s just painful so I try not to do it. 

Mostly I do the main stuff like the story and side quests and leave the grinding and collectables as last.So more or less I keep rotating between a lot of games.

And normally I try to stay within one genre, but that doesn't work out the whole time.

5 hours ago, sharkyaya said:

More often than not, I’m focused on one game at a time. I might drop a game for a bit if it starts to get very grindy and I need a break or if my friends and I start a new mp/online coop game.

I forget and mess up controls and mechanics really easily when I play multiple games at the same time and it’s just painful so I try not to do it. 

Might sound weird but I actually like to challenge my Brain having to remember different controls haha.

If it was not for the muscle memory anyways.

• Like 1

There are rare exceptions, but I usually see each game I begin through to full completion, before even thinking about touching another one. However, this is not really for trophy-related purposes; it's just that I have difficulties with keeping the varying control schemes and mechanics from multiple games in my noggin simultaneously, making it far more comfortable/efficient for me to stick with one at a time. Amusingly, this is probably the true reason why I ended up with a high completion percentage. 😅

I typically play 1 game at a time until it's finished. I also usually have a game on the PS Vita I always works towards while I'm out or in the bathroom as well.

In terms of hunting the platinum itself, I check if there are any missables. If not, I just play the game blind without looking at the guide until I beat the game. If there are missables, I'll take note of what trophies are missable and why, then keep an eye out for those. If it's a game I really want to play & don't want spoilers for, I'll never check the list, missables or not, until it's beaten. (I usually do this for Persona games in particular)

I'll play 1 or 2 different types of game at a time.

Check for online/missable/difficulty trophies and plan from there. 

If a game is collectible-heavy, I'll just have  guide for those open from the start. 

Edited by ARIXANDRE