[Resolved] PS3 P2P Online Games Currently Down - Trophy syncing unaffected

There’s still a light at the end of the tunnel but yeah, as both PS3 and VITA are aging and big corporations are after profits they try to cut off the life support too.

Already mentioned this on one of the other topics but apparently the same thing happened last year too according to a friend of mine from PSVITA Online Community. Unfortunately they don’t have any sources/resources so take this with a grain of salt.

Hoping for the best as I sadly don’t think current gen is worth it and old gen is starting to fade away, which can be the period of one of the golden eras.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

A common misunderstanding is that P2P means a game can never be shut down, but almost all P2P instances have the multiplayer assets on the players install, but require some kind of external coordination for the P2P services to work correctly. It minimizes server resources, but doesn't eliminate them.

Damn, I was a bit clueless with what p2p is then. That means that if Sony wanted to they could shut off PS3s online Multiplayer, I'm surprised they haven't tbh, can't be costing them much to run it. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for creating this thread, I've encountered problems on Ultra Street Fighter 4, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Tom Clancy's Hawx and Ace Combat Assault Horizon today. I wasn't able to connect to servers in any of those games. 

Just wanted to let you know in case anyone wonders whether those games are P2P. 

5 minutes ago, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

Don't forget that Sony tried to shut down the stores 3 years ago for the PS3 and VITA before they reversed their decision. But still, with how old these servers are, it's only a matter of time before they do eventually decide to pull the plug on their old consoles and save their resources for their future products. Then again, i'm sure it'll all be resolved soon as some sort of server maintenance. Battlefield 3 for example, had such a maintenance update from EA, although it still smells of a potential shutdown on the horizon. So ideally, i wouldn't wait if anyone's still got PS3 games they would like to clean up to be on the safe side.

Don't forget if Sony has any of the affected titles on one of the Plus tiers, they have a vested interest in keeping them running, not shutting them down.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Don't forget if Sony has any of the affected titles on one of the Plus tiers, they have a vested interest in keeping them running, not shutting them down.

All of these titles, seemingly all at once, makes it feel like it could just be an issue with Sony's servers atm and could be temporary ... but oh, the conjecture ...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Worst case scenario:

1) Online part of P2P PS3/PSV titles is working no more,

EDIT: (LINE BELOW ADDED!  after reading @DaivRules post below)

THEN, POSSIBLE SONY'S NEXT MOVE!

(End of Edit)

2) Syncing of PS3/PSV trophies (in general) is down as well...

Music:

Nightwish - End of an Era

Yeah, for online I know:

"You had (put a random number from 1-15) to do those trophies!"

Fingers crossed, that's just a maintenance outage...

Edited by Smashero

2 minutes ago, Smashero said:

Ekhm... That's not what I meant... And before I will move to the next part: yeah, I am pretty aware that those two "services" are not "directly linked".

So let me elaborate it:

- in worst case scenario:

Step 1) (what is "going on now") - PS3/PSV P2P online parts of games about which we were all pretty sure that they will "last forever" are gone and they are not accessible anymore.

I'd like to believe that it would be in their best interest for any major change to the network or any system's currently working functionality to be announced beforehand.

We're at a point where a lot of companies are pulling this shit, turning products into paperweights, so hopefully we can rely on them to learn from their own mistakes and those of others before we start any fearmongering. This has only just happened so these are all hypotheticals you're describing, at this point.

• Like 3

Oh darn, I guess I'll cancel my plans to get the Ultra Street Fighter 4 plat...

But in all seriousness, I wouldn’t go into total panic mode (yet). I can't imagine Sony staying completely silent about this. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CowMoyoo said:

I will be extremely disappointed if it did shut down because I just got a PS3 and I would like to get some platinums some of which does have online trophies like God of War: Ascension

you're like 10 years late to the party

• Confused 25

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CowMoyoo said:

I will be extremely disappointed if it did shut down because I just got a PS3 and I would like to get some platinums some of which does have online trophies like God of War: Ascension

Had this game in my pile to play for a long time so just jumped on after seeing your post and was able to unlock and sync that trophy.

Edited by SteDE

2 minutes ago, SteDE said:

Had this game in my pile to play for a long time so just jumped on after seeing your post and was able to unlock and sync that trophy.

@CowMoyooOf course I could be wrong, but: GoW:A requires online pass to play online -> IMHO!  It's not P2P game -> so it is not affected by current... situation...

Can anyone also check Street Fighter X Tekken here?

I would also suspect Street Fighter X Tekken servers too since it was P2P from my knowledge.

I would check if I had my PS3 near me, but we're separated 100km apart :(.

• Like 1