Thoughts on The Swapper

DarknessKey92

Just heard about this game, and decided to research it a bit, and all I learned is:

It's a Indie game that first came out in May 2013 on PC that was Developed by a very small team consisting of a possible 2 to 4 people.

IDK why the name of their developing studio is called "FacePalm Games", but oh well.

I guess it's a "side-scrolling puzzle-platform" that heavily has you solving puzzles using a "cloning gun" capable of making a possible of 4 clones, who mimic your exact action patterns. For instance if you jump or move to the right, then they too do the same thing. The same Gun also has a secondary ability to swap control to any of these clones, as long as they are within line of sight. Meaning as strange or creepy as it may sound, if you switch control and the previous host falls off the edge accidentally dying; then you still remain alive on a count that your mind/conscience is still alive in your new clone's body. As long as you don't fall/or get directly killed, then you're ok. The game has you going from area to area in search for orbs needed to unlock/activate doors that progress you further, to ultimately escape the space station. As you explore for orbs or activity, the game lets/wants you to back track previous areas from time to time.

A lot of people who talk about or review the game have tried to express/praise the game's Impressive visual style and atmosphere, along with the quality of the puzzles. Which was established as I said before, by a very small developmental team.

It has now been ported into PS3, PS4, and PlayStation Vita by "Curve Studios"; scheduled to release on all 3 consoles on June 24(NA) & June 25(EU/UK).

The game's Soundtrack has also been found to be fitting for the game, by supporting its artistic and feel design.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiYBePS6877fWc1JDWXcuhFO29z9GOWal

Found A Video uploaded by "Force Strategy Gaming" that examples the Swapper's Gameplay Mechanics along with an explanation of what happens as you progress the game while avoiding Spoilers.

Note: This footage is from the "PC Version", so don't assume the Console Versions(PS4,PS3,PSV) of the game are out yet. This video is to show you how you're expected to solve Certain puzzles in the game.

As for the trophies, well So far they are very Unknown only Described the same way as the title...simply as a Roman numeral. Hopefully they are the "Unlock through normal progress" trophies. Meaning by the time you finish the game, so will your set be finished as well.

This game seams interesting to me, and I plan to get it on June 24 now(might not be able to have a day 1 experience with the game, but will try to play it as soon as I can)....I'm not claiming to know everything about this game, so if you know anything else I don't or failed to mention, then feel free to post.

Edit: The Publishers "Curve Studios" have made a statement saying that the game's been delayed until  "August 5th or 6th"

Here's a Quote from an  "eurogamer Article" explaining the reason why "The Swapper" was Delayed.

The reason for The Swapper's delay was so Curve could fully optimise the claymation platformer for PS3 and Vita. "The Swapper is our first indie title to really push the limits of the PlayStation 3 and Vita," said Curve digital managing director Jason Perkins. "We've been able to really throw the power of the PS4 at the game, but we also want to ensure that when the game comes out, it looks great and runs well at 30 fps on hardware that, in the case of the PlayStation 3, is over seven years old."

While a price hasn't been revealed, Curve noted that it will be available at a discount for pre-orders set to go live in early July.

One Last thing to mention is that The PSN version will offer Cross-Buy support.

Edited by DarknessKey92
  • Like 2

As for the trophies, well So far they are very Unknown only Described the same way as the title...simply as a Roman numeral. Hopefully they are the "Unlock through normal progress" trophies. Meaning by the time you finish the game, so will your set be finished as well.

They are not, which is great.

But probably they are the same as in PC version. There're guides for PC version, so finding them won't be fun.

Thank you Darkness for sharing your research with us. I have to say, the game looks really interesting and I will definitively buy it later this month. I always look for great puzzle games and this could become great.

Edited by cybershark91

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For anyone on the fence, here's my 10p's worth: I love this game. The Swapper has great art and sound design, an interesting gaming mechanic and some mind-bending puzzles. It's also got a decent story if you pay attention. If you don't then it's simply a great game and a healthy workout for the grey matter.

It's also one of the most atmospheric games I've played in a while, particularly the recreation area which is soundtracked by one of the loveliest, most melancholy piano pieces I can recall. Brilliantly done.

If you've got a spare few quid and are looking for a challenge, I totally recommend The Swapper. Kudos to Facepalm for making the game and to Curve for bringing it to the mighty Playstation trio. Runs beautifully on Vita, too.

Trophy hunters: although I managed to solve every puzzle without turning to Google, I'd probably never have earned a single trophy without a guide, as (spoiler?) none of them are related to the story!

Edited by YimSiphny

• 3 months later...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/11/04/sneak-peek-at-ps4-plus-lineup-for-dec-jan/

Just a reminder:

We are gonna be getting The Swapper next month for free, during the IGC January 2015 Line-up.

I'm gonna feel bad getting this great game for free, but @ least more people will be able to experience this awesome indie title.

I'm even more glad it's A 3-way Cross buy, so that I don't need to wait till i have a PS4 to play it.

For sure I'll play this game, after I finish KH 2.5 HD ReMIX.

• 1 year later...

Since the game is on sale and after seeing the review on YouTube it looks cool but the trophies it might be annoying to collect because this is a puzzle game where I absolutely hate the genre of puzzles. Take up a long time for me on what to do where I have to look for a guide just to contuine playing a game which I don't like doing it except when it comes to trophies of course where when I make a first play through to any game I like to expierence it without a guide trying things on my own where I don't have to look at a guide every time for the trophies unless if it is a plot type of game like most Telltale games like Sam And Max and Back To The Future where I may use them by following it. Other than that I won't buy this game sadly.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

For anybody looking to play this game, prepare to pull some hair out. 

Very difficult puzzles. You think they look easy or aren't too bad. They are. 

Spent upwards of an entire hour trying to figure out some puzzles. Turns out you have to be very specific in how you clone yourself. If you can't figure that out you will not get far in this game. 

This is one of the few times where I disagree with the difficulty the guide states. Most people just watched Brian's guide (PS4trophies) to get all the trophies within a hour. I figured all I needed was to read a guide on the terminals. 

Big mistake. I already spent hours on the puzzles alone and I'm pretty frustrated. They're pretty difficult to solve. I'm not lying.

Trophy list is abysmal. It's just reaching terminals in extremely well hidden locations. I don't think anybody out there found every single one on their own. That is pretty much almost impossible since you figure the walls and background couldn't be gone through to find a terminal totally outside the location where you solved a puzzle. 

I was wondering why nearly all the trophies are rare. Now I know.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Spaz said:

For anybody looking to play this game, prepare to pull some hair out. 

Very difficult puzzles. You think they look easy or aren't too bad. They are. 

Spent upwards of an entire hour trying to figure out some puzzles. Turns out you have to be very specific in how you clone yourself. If you can't figure that out you will not get far in this game. 

This is one of the few times where I disagree with the difficulty the guide states. Most people just watched Brian's guide (PS4trophies) to get all the trophies within a hour. I figured all I needed was to read a guide on the terminals. 

Big mistake. I already spent hours on the puzzles alone and I'm pretty frustrated. They're pretty difficult to solve. I'm not lying.

Trophy list is abysmal. It's just reaching terminals in extremely well hidden locations. I don't think anybody out there found every single one on their own. That is pretty much almost impossible since you figure the walls and background couldn't be gone through to find a terminal totally outside the location where you solved a puzzle. 

I was wondering why nearly all the trophies are rare. Now I know.

Of a person who despises puzzle games, I disagree of what you said the game is hard. Two days ago I played this game while watching ps4trophies of a video guide and it was easy and helpful to know how to solve the puzzle. I admit some puzzle parts are kind of annoying which by far most puzzle games I can get annoyed at parts of how he solved it but not me. Once I figured it out and try it, my progress was going forward. That of course if you just use a video guide which I always need that just in order to play a game and see if I like the game and it was decent. 

Edited by Superstarmaste1r

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...