The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

To me it's the Bioshock series as a whole. I like the setting and art style of 1 and 2 and almost everything about Infinite was beatiful and done really well: Graphics, animation, music and voice acting.

I just find that as a game they are shit. I get zero enjoyment from shooting the guns at stuff, which is probably the most important thing if you're making a shooter.

Which brings me to my second problem: Bioshock was said to be a 'spiritual' successor to the System Shock series, by the same people. So I expected the game to be very similar to System Shock 2, only under water instead of outer space, with the same RPG, horror and survival elements.

I'd have to agree on that. I played to the part where you end up running away from the guards and end up on the roof of the apartment complex. I tried as hard as I could to get into the game but it was just so boring. I also spent hours confused on where to go the first time I played it.  :|

You played for hours, yet only made it like 10-15 minutes into the game? ;)

2. Final Fantasy 7- I'll never understand this one. It doesn't have the best story of FF, it doesn't have the best characters, and the gameplay is regular FF gameplay. So why is it always considered the best?

Because it was the first Final Fantasy most people played. FF 1-6 never came to PAL territories and there weren't many JRPGs around at that time.

It had beatiful (pre-rendered) graphics, the music was great, it dealt with themes of loss and had characters that were more interesting and 'complex' (i use that word lightly) than what you found in other games.

The game came out at the right time and I would credit it with the explosion of the JRPG in western territories.

Actually, it was the first film to break the filming mold of other movies, and use brand new techniques. Deep focus shots, low angle shots, the L-cut, effects to make crowds and buildings look bigger, realistic aging makeup, non linear story telling, brand new lighting techniques, and other smaller things. Orson Wells and the Citizen Kane crew invented these things, completely changing the way all future films are shot.

Last of Us hasn't invented anything new in video games, it just improved on things already in place. That's the difference.

Actually no. Non linear story telling is not something that was invented by Orson, its been present before, especially in literature, Citizen Kane brought it to public eye/movie goers eyes, however. And the techniques are in essence, a combination of multiple other styles, be it intentionally or unintentionally, its how film critics and historians view it. Many of the things are derivatives or old concepts taken and improved upon, something special made out of something that's already there. That's what the Last of Us is. Cliche and trope filled concept, turned on its head.

If a game/series is popular, it's because a lot of people actually like them.

I suspect that most people here are just calling out games they don't like, while thousands of others do, doesn't mean they are overrated.

A better question would just be: what games do you dislike.

I'm not a fan of call of duty, battlefield, ... which doesn't make them overrated, just not my cup of tea.

The people who love those games might consider my precious mass effect or assassin's creed to be overrated.

I was just thinking the exact same thing, this is more about games people don't like.

COD may not be everyone's cup of tea but it sells so someone likes it. FIFA will be disliked by everyone who doesn't like football but it is one of the best sports games out there. Personally I don't like anything that is anime or anything like that, I don't read comic books or any of that stuff and I would personally say I am far too old for that stuff but that is my opinion only, I wouldn't say it was overrated.  

Off the top of my head.. Bioshock Infinite.

I loved System Shock back in the day and also enjoyed Bioshock (but didnt get a chance to play #2), i am a fan of FPS's in general and most people seem to agree that Infinite is a great game so i would have thought it had everything going for it for me to really enjoy it but i just couldnt get in to it at all and gave up soon after rescuing the girl from the tower.

• 2 weeks later...

COD comes to mind for me.  I bought MW1, MW2 and WAW as a bundle a few years ago.  I played a few hours of MW1 and was distinctly unimpressed with it.  I just couldn't see why so many people went crazy over the series.  Perhaps I just didn't give it enough of a chance, but in any case, I traded the three of them in and bought something else - MW2 and WAW never even saw the inside of my PS3.  I can safely say I'll never play another COD game again.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Add Minecraft to the list for me (boo...hiss...trollolol....yes, I know). I like at least some sense of direction when I play games and if it weren't for the trophy support in this game, there would be none. Its like someone charging you $20 for a box of legos with no instructions or pictures and telling you to "go for it". Sorry, but I just need objectives to work towards and the freedom to complete them in multiple ways or how I see fit. Never thought of anything as having "too much freedom" but Minecraft is the closest thing to that.

I find it overrated because it appears to be geared towards a very specific crowd and I am surprised that its as popular as it is. Saying that I was disappointed upon finally playing it is an understatement.

• Like 2

Kingdom Hearts.

I like the concept and the graphics are alright. I like the summons and the way your body changes depending on the area you're in.

But that's where it stops.

The camera seems to hate you and the controls are clunky as fuck. And what's with that split second freeze after you jump?

Keep in mind I've only played the first 2 and have no idea what the other KH games are like.

Call of Duty Franchise.  I know it's a common/boring answer, but I've just never gotten it.

Golden Eye on N64 has to be my most overrated game.  I know most people like it.  I remember the day my friends and I got it and played multiplayer.  Hated the FPS mechanics.  Actually stopped playing games for about 8 years because after that game it seemed like everything was FPS.

Didn't like the Halo series much either.

I've only played about 10 minutes of Last of Us, so I don't really think I have the right to say it's overrated.  It just seems that from what I saw it was a good game, but not anything earth shattering.

• Like 1

Call of Duty Franchise.  I know it's a common/boring answer, but I've just never gotten it.

Golden Eye on N64 has to be my most overrated game.  I know most people like it.  I remember the day my friends and I got it and played multiplayer.  Hated the FPS mechanics.  Actually stopped playing games for about 8 years because after that game it seemed like everything was FPS.

Didn't like the Halo series much either.

I've only played about 10 minutes of Last of Us, so I don't really think I have the right to say it's overrated.  It just seems that from what I saw it was a good game, but not anything earth shattering.

Call of Dookie...you're in good company

Golden Eye...me too but dang! It didn't turn me off THAT much, lol

Halo...same

The Last of Us...well as someone who's played the game and story DLC all the way through, I can confirm that you didn't miss much and that your assumption is spot on.

• Like 1

This. I played the first game like 1-2 hours and then forgot it. Not my cup of tea.

You play a game for 1-2 houres and judge it? Lol Mass Effect is a trilogy and has a play time of atleast 35 houres per game but you gave up almost instantly, good work, you dont know what your missing.

For me, Skyrim is the most overrated game ever. I just dont understand how people can spend 100s of hours playing it without mods.

You dont need mods, there are hundreds of things to do, dungeons to loot, enemies to battle, dragons to fight, skills to work on, potions to mix, armor to collect, I could go on and on about the endless things to do in the world of Skyrim. Edited by GRITTY_PITTY
  • Like 1

While I don't consider them to be the most overrated games, or the most overrates series, of all time, Halo 2 and 3 come to my mind almost immediately. I love the Halo series, but Halo 2 and 3 are, in my mind, the weakest entries so far.

While they were both fun, Halo 2 more so, their enemy encounters, stories, and gameplay are far from perfect. In Halo 3 especially, I find myself wanting to skip past all of the enemy encounters to skip straight to the story bits, but even then, their stories are really not worth the effort. Often times, Halo 2 is regarded as the best in the series, especially for multiplayer, but with it filled with so many glitches, and with such wonky weapon balance, the only saving grace is that they feel okay and that the maps themselves are quite good. Halo 3 was a huge step down with its massive amounts of aim acceleration, smaller FOV, and weapons that sounded like toys rather than real firearms.

The music, on the other hand, is great across both games, and the series as a whole.

• Like 1

So this is suppose to be a thread about game series/franchises and I see a ton of replies stating specific games......but anyways......

Call of Duty is the most over rated franchise at this point. They have been trying to pull their fans back by changing the game, but it just isn't working. Each "new" game just keeps getting worse. The only ones in the whole franchise that I enjoyed was Modern Warfare 2 (before it was hack central), Black Ops 1, and Black Ops 2. Those games felt like they were done right. Everything else was just crap. (btw, I didn't really play CoD4, so I have no opinion of the game, but I've heard it was one of the best).

So this is suppose to be a thread about game series/franchises and I see a ton of replies stating specific games......but anyways......

Call of Duty is the most over rated franchise at this point. They have been trying to pull their fans back by changing the game, but it just isn't working. Each "new" game just keeps getting worse. The only ones in the whole franchise that I enjoyed was Modern Warfare 2 (before it was hack central), Black Ops 1, and Black Ops 2. Those games felt like they were done right. Everything else was just crap. (btw, I didn't really play CoD4, so I have no opinion of the game, but I've heard it was one of the best).

The title of the thread is "The most overrated game/series?" and the OP's post ends with "What games or series do you think are overrated and why?", which means it isn't just about a series as a whole, but can also be about particular games. :P

Edited by CandiBunni
  • Like 2

MetalGear Series. (Note, I havr played all enties to varying degrees, but only finished 1, 2, Solid & Solid 2)

Its just a boring anime-bullshit story, with a pile of unnecessarily long and overly self indulgent cut scenes, followed by endless clicking through turgid, uninteresting dialogue (about 55% of which is just people saying 'nanomachines' over and over) followed by six minutes of gameplay where you run about with a box on your head like that guy from the dream sequences in Lone Survivor, until a question mark appears over a persons head, you spin around for a bit like Homer when he wins his dental plan back, a few shots are fired and some clown shouts "SNAAAAAAAAAKE".

rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

MetalGear Series. (Note, I havr played all enties to varying degrees, but only finished 1, 2, Solid & Solid 2)

Its just a boring anime-bullshit story, with a pile of unnecessarily long and overly self indulgent cut scenes, followed by endless clicking through turgid, uninteresting dialogue (about 55% of which is just people saying 'nanomachines' over and over) followed by six minutes of gameplay where you run about with a box on your head like that guy from the dream sequences in Lone Survivor, until a question mark appears over a persons head, you spin around for a bit like Homer when he wins his dental plan back, a few shots are fired and some clown shouts "SNAAAAAAAAAKE".

rinse, repeat.

lol! That was pretty hateful but also pretty funny.
  • Like 1

The Last of Us, did not enjoy this game at all, could not find the appeal in it. Though I got annoyed by the AI and didn't get too far. 

Destiny, I do enjoy playing this but it is just a standard shooter, doesn't deserve all the hype it has got. The PvP could be more dynamic and involve multiple match types in a game, rather than 20 minutes of the same thing and the PvE has turned into a big grind after hitting L20.

Call of Duty, used to enjoy the COD games but these days every new version seems to be exactly the same as the previous just with a higher price tag. Hoping Advanced Warfare will change this, and have a decent story.

Hyperdimension Neptunia. Boring gameplay, characters try to hard to be fun they are just over the top cute fan-service anime girls with big breast, dungeons are plain and crap. Had a good story too bad they spend way to much time making you try to like theses cardboard characters.

Call of Duty isn't really overrated. The series have great games. It just went downhill and got repetitive.

I played Half Life 2 for the first time last month with its two episodes. I saw that the game has a Metacritic score of 96. I mean it is a great game, I enjoyed it but 96 is too much for it.

So HL2 is a bit overrated for sure.