The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

I would say Tales of Xillia is one of the most overrated games these last few years. The following is just my opinion:

The first bad aspect about this games is the slow start, and when I mean start, it's 5+ hours of gameplay driven by tolerance only (seriously?).

Not only this, but the first "hook" of the game is very cliche nowadays.

It isn't until chapter 2 that it becomes somewhat decent and it gets better from there...for a light-themed story.

As for the characters, only a handful of them get a decent development. Alvin in particular gets a very nice one and I consider it the best of all with the old man (forgot his name) coming in second. Most of the others become the usual stereotyed "anime" personalities.

Scenery, particularly, the fields, are unecessarily big and dull. Probably a nice looking tree or canyon here and there but the rest is just plain. Graphics don't help here either.

It is a decent RPG that gives great gameplay with a couple of well-fitted character developments and a ok story, but overall, it fails in delivering a set of lovable characters, gripping hooks and decent scenery. Soundtrack isn't something spectacular either.

My personal note is a 6.5, but I've seen some critics give it more than 7.5 onwards.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

Going to have to go with Uncharted [series]. The Last of Us  [game], generally speaking, is overrated (I love this game btw), but over the years, being exposed to thousands of certain comments across various different websites regarding the Uncharted series (which I also enjoy)... i'm definitely going to have to go with Uncharted [series] on this one.

-snip-

Well.. I agree with the point you made regarding the game-play. I tried to get into the 2D Sonic games, but no matter what, I just couldn't get into them :\. (I've tried several of the 2D games to - the most popular ones at that.) I don't enjoy them :l. Always heavily preferred the 3D/Adventure games and Racing spinoffs in the franchise.

Btw which latest installment would you be referring to? Technically speaking, any installment in the franchise would be considered, including the mobile/handheld installments o.o

With that said, it'd be more accurate if you said Sonic the Hedgehog (or the Sonic trilogy if you don't want to spell out "th") because aside from STH 2006, Sonic's main 3D games don't have "th" part in their titles ;P. It couldn't be this coincidental, so I believe this was intentional to separate "th" as the 2D games and "Sonic" alone as the 3D games (for the adventure-main games). 

Actually, I just noticed something. Sonic Unleashed seems to have nailed the 2D aspect perfectly as it should be in a Sonic game - a game where you're running super fast - speed of light. While it of course makes sense for the game''s concept and mechanics itself, it was done better in Unleashed (Generations and Colors to ofc) than it was in the original Sonic trilogy series imo. I had just looked into this and realized when you bought up your complaint of the original trilogy.

Edited by Mar

GTA... I dont know why Im still playing that... The last good one was SanAndreas (but only LosSantos and the stuff between it and SanFierro) and probably only because I was around 15 back then... At least CJ wanted to escape the gangster crap. Well he always gets thrown back by his "friends" and some corrupt cops and even get betrayed by some of his "friends", but well, better than in V where everything is in first point just for the money...

Minecraft. I don't see the hype to "surviving" and finding ore to create homes and other limited buildings just to run out of them and make new seeds. I do like creative mode, though.

The Walking Dead. (SPOILERS) I loved the first season because of how innocent Clem was and of course Lee. My dislikes are how long it takes for another episode to come out, how stupid it was to bring Kenny back, like really? He pulls a Tyreese with his fists? Then they make Clem a super dark character, which isn't her.

Edited by hishomie1

• 1 month later...

Personally, either Kingdom Hearts or The Witcher. I've tried to like them, and they're just not for me. I didn't find Kingdom Hearts remotely interesting. I do sort of like Witcher 3's quests and lore, so I'll probably go back and finish it, but I don't like the combat, the movement, the menus, the horse, Gwent, most of the characters, or the romance options. It's kind of a drag.

The Legend of Zelda. Tried playing Ocarina of Time and found it barely had anything of interest. At the very least, it didn't age very well (and I'm the kind of guy that's cool with retro games - as long as I can still have fun with them). Gave up midway through the game because I was just getting bored out of my mind.

Mario franchise. Just because the first few games were innovative it doesn't mean that the all the franchise is amazing. Still wondering how Nintendo survive with a 30years old IP :dunno:

Minecraft. I don't see the hype to "surviving" and finding ore to create homes and other limited buildings just to run out of them and make new seeds. I do like creative mode, though.

The good thing about Minecraft is that there's no limitation to what you can do. Also I don't get the "run out of things and create new seed" thing. You mean that after a bit you gotta create a new world? If so I'm still playing my 18months old world and I still have things to do. But what make this game so good is the continue amount of new stuff that Mojang add for free. Another good thing about Minecraft is the great community (the best in gaming) that always act friendly even on PVP servers. Edited by Winston

Kingdom Hearts, definitely.

I've spent a fair few hours in number 2, I used a friend's save on my R4 in the day on the DS one to just fuck around and fly in certain worlds.

Gameplay wise, from the above mentioned (limited) experience I've had, the series is perfectly fine. I don't remember any bugs or anything, and everything was nice and smooth.

But there wasn't a single thing in the stories, when I played it, that either interested me, or presented me with something special. Right now though, I'm not even bagging on the games, because like I said, I haven't finished them, any of them, but from the limited experience I have had with the series, it seems WAY overrated.

Call of Duty and it isint even close.

10 year old kid: Call of Dewty is the best game ever made!

Me: Have you ever played Metal Gear Solid or Fallout?

10 year old kid: No, all I play is Call of Dewty with my 360 across the dick Mountain Dew Doritos no sc0pez!

Just because you don't like it doesn't automatically make it overrated. Thats a fact

The only way to judge if something is overrated is by personal opinion. If I think it's overrated, then to me, it is. No other way to go about it, it's entirely subjective.

• Like 2

The Legend of Zelda. Tried playing Ocarina of Time and found it barely had anything of interest. At the very least, it didn't age very well (and I'm the kind of guy that's cool with retro games - as long as I can still have fun with them). Gave up midway through the game because I was just getting bored out of my mind.

I think TLoZ:OoT was a product of it's time. I loved it when I played it as a kid, and I played it a lot. Much of the awe for that game comes from the fact that nothing had appeared on that scale before. The first couple of hours you're just like "Ok, it's a Zelda game, I'm in a dungeon, so far so good". But then when you get to Hyrule Field, and there's all that space... you start to think "Oh fuck... this is going to be gooooood". 

I don't think you can go back to that now. Games have progessed so much on a technical level that that sense of awe won't be there. There are loads of games with great draw distances and massive environments now. 

But trust me, at the time, it was something else. 

• Like 1