The Beginning Of The Console Wars

SoapMacTavish222

After reading another post a few minutes ago. I was trying to remember when the console wars really started to heat up. Those of you that are old enough to remember when Sega Genesis and SNES were the prefered consoles, also probably remember that people didn't really care as much back then.

Anyway, what I want to know is, what was the first negative experience you had with someone that was gaming on a different machine?

Mine was in high school when a kid told me "enjoy your piece of shit ps2" after I simply said I wasn't a fan of the original xbox's big controller. (Before they came out with the S type).

Oh no, I can definitely remember some heated arguments between kids at school about the Genesis and SNES. I think as long as there have been kids who couldn't afford both consoles, there have been people arguing about which console is better. 

Parker

^^ I honestly don't remember any between those two. I had the SNES and my best friend at the time had a Genesis and we always said we couldn't decide what was better. Maybe it's just because I genuinely don't give a crap. If people want to like xbox, that's fine. I just love games and don't understand why people get so worked up over it.

Edited by SoapMacTavish222

There was a 3 way war between Colecovision, Atari 2600, and Intellivison back in the early 80's. It was mostly between Atari and Intellivision though, as Coleco was priced way higher- so most people didn't factor it in (Though it was easily the superior system).

NES and Sega  were back and forth in the late 80's as well.

In both cases I remember people getting pretty heated over them (Of course kids will get heated over the flavor of bubble gum...so yeah). In those days, you simply couldn't afford more than one console...so maybe you just had to defend whatever console your folks bought you...hahaha

I can't say how this played out for adults though, and  with the increase in media exposure...it's a different game now then it was than (No pun intended)

Edit: I think it's all stupid now though. Like the OP I just love gaming :) Fanboys an either side are annoying.  

Edited by Floorkiller74

After reading another post a few minutes ago. I was trying to remember when the console wars really started to heat up. Those of you that are old enough to remember when Sega Genesis and SNES were the prefered consoles, also probably remember that people didn't really care as much back then.

Anyway, what I want to know is, what was the first negative experience you had with someone that was gaming on a different machine?

Mine was in high school when a kid told me "enjoy your piece of shit ps2" after I simply said I wasn't a fan of the original xbox's big controller. (Before they came out with the S type).

540837405_nK8hG-L-2.jpg

And so on and so on and so on :)

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 2

^^ I honestly don't remember any between those two. I had the SNES and my best friend at the time had a Genesis and we always said we couldn't decide what was better. Maybe it's just because I genuinely don't give a crap. If people want to like xbox, that's fine. I just love games and don't understand why people get so worked up over it.

I never participated in the arguments either because I love gaming as well. You don't remember the awesome Genesis commercials though?

Parker

• Like 3

To be fair, if the internet was as popular as it is today back during that time, you would see how many people cared about SNES vs Genesis lol

I didn't get involved in arguments on which console was better than the other back in school. I wasn't going to argue essentially about what toy was better than the other.

I remember in High School there would be kids that said PS3 sucks and I suck for owning one. There was no arguing with them, and in a way I'm glad they stuck with Xbox since I didn't want their kind on PS3 anyway.

• Like 1

My neighborhood had a ton of kids around my age and console wars were in full effect. EVERYONE had a NES, but three of us also had a Sega Genesis. My brothers friend has the Sega CD, so we would all occasionally go over his house to see the sweet video of Sewer Shark. Two of the kids had TurboGrafx 16 (which is the one console I was always jealous of, and never got) and one kid had a NES, Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx 16 AND a NEO GEO!!

Console wars were definitely in full effect back then and weren't much better than they were today, except you talked trash face to face. And if you didn't want to take a punch, you only talked trash once, took your beating and shut the hell up. Then next week, we traded games again.

None of us stayed butt-hurt like people today get over this crap. It's just a gaming console. First-world problem. Get over it.

Yep, looks like it was barely more expensive than the NeoGeo. 

*snip*

Parker

I'm sorry but that deserves a face palm. I just can't believe that Panasonic would do this on such a crazy level. Considering the features on the 3DO, it wasn't ground breaking but there awesome. Also do you know what the games where like?

I'm sorry but that deserves a face palm. I just can't believe that Panasonic would do this on such a crazy level. Considering the features on the 3DO, it wasn't ground breaking but there awesome. Also do you know what the games where like?

I don't have a whole lot of games for my 3DO but there are some gems in its library. Road Rash and Road and Track Presents: The Need for Speed are probably my favorites but there are some other great ones too. Unfortunately it is pretty hard to find a console in good working order nowadays, thankfully both of mine work fine. 

Parker

• Like 1

I would argue that the Megadrive vs SNES was the ONLY time that there was really a 'console war' from the point of view of the userbase as back then the legitamacy of videogames was such that most of the userbase was too young to have thier own income, and so could realistically only own one console.

Nowadays the average user is of working age, so the idea of 'fanboys' is pretty redundant, as the majority can just buy all consoles (particulaly sinxe the consoles are so much cheaper now - adjusted for inflation of course)

I think all adults with two braincells to rub together realise that competition is good, as the users are the beneficiaries.

Nowadays the average user is of working age, so the idea of 'fanboys' is pretty redundant, as the majority can just buy all consoles (particulaly sinxe the consoles are so much cheaper now - adjusted for inflation of course)

I think all adults with two braincells to rub together realise that competition is good, as the users are the beneficiaries.

I don't know if I would say your anecdotal evidence is something I totally agree with. Video gaming IS more mainstream for adults than back then, so it's more common for adults of any age to consider gaming acceptable.

However, considering all the stories I hear about people playing First Person Shooters and being overwhelmed by 10-12 year olds in the chats, on top of my decade and a half of selling video games at a major retailer, I'm gonna bet a significant amount of gamers are still outside the working age. On top of that, so many 10+ year olds have smartphones and open access to the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if a good 50% of these flamewars are started by and maintained by children well outside of working age.

That being said, competition is absolutely good when it comes to video games.

As much as I loved SNES more than the Genesis I do remember being pretty jealous back then that my buddy Tommy down the street could do the real fatalities in Mortal Kombat while I was stuck with the ridiculous garbage they used for the SNES version. But both systems were pretty sweet.

When I was a kid, my older brothers had Sega Master System and I kept borrowing games from our cousin. He also had Amigas and Mega Drive/Genesis. Later my friends had Nintendos, Segas and later PS1 & PS2 systems. I never ran into any kind of console war thing until I got my PS3 in 2010. I guess we were just happy to have something to play as kids.