Best/Worst gaming purchase of 2014

kidson2004

• 2 weeks later...

Best: It's a bit tough, so I have a few.

In terms of hours of enjoyment, I'd probably say Minecraft. I've got younger siblings, and it's the one thing we can throw on and play for hours and hours without getting bored, with the range of an actual end goal, a great creative mode and all the minigames you can think of (minigolf, parkour, mazes etc). 

For a new series I never thought I'd love, all the Borderlands games. Again, co-op mode with my siblings is one of the best experiences I've had.

And Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster. It was an all-time favourite of me and my dad, and we've both spent so long on it already and I know we've still got so long to go (He's played a lot more than me, if anyone's going to check my trophies and call me out on it)

Worst: If you're excluding second hand discs I bought that didn't work (Saint's Row 3, Buzz Quiz World) then Dishonoured. It's not my style at all, I really don't know why I bought it.

Or Infamous. I just don't like the semi-stealthy gameplay and the fact that even when I've conquered parts of the city, I still have to fight off seemingly neverending streams of enemies.

Edited by Banxiee
  • Like 1

Best - Persona 4 Golden, Tales of Xillia 2, Final Fantasy X HD Remaster

Worst - Bravely Default & Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Bravely Default would have been fun if I hadn't already played so many RPGs that were 1000x better.

All my friends pressured me into buying D3:RoS saying it made the game so much better, but It still was a pile of crap compared to D2.

• 2 weeks later...

Best: Dragon Age: Inquisition (SO much content in a 60 dollar game! I completed my first playthrough in 107 hours!!! Plus if you think about what's coming in future DLC, this game deserved GOTY!!!!)

Worst: Destiny (This game was SUCH a disappointment! Where did all of the money go? Advertisement is my guess.)

Best: PS4. Not a game, but still a gaming purchase :P

Worst: I honestly might have to say Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment. I liked it at first, but I got bored of it fairly quickly.

Keep in mind, everything that follows is MY OPINION, NOT FACT. I just find the combat repetitive, and while this is the case with plenty of games, SAO's combat just isn't enjoyable enough for me to keep doing it. I've done one boss fight, and it was pretty much just standing in one spot, spamming the same button over and over, occasionally healing or doing a special move. Also, the flirting system probably contributed to me not being too fond of the game; I find it to be a slow, annoying, and dull system, and you have to spend a long time doing it if you want the associated trophies. Lastly, the translations in the game... they just aren't good :/

It wasn't a bad game, but just not my cup of tea.

Best : DA:I / DIII:RoS

Worst: ME:Shadow of Mordor 

May I ask why you didn't like Shadow of Mordor? It seemed to be generally quite well received; was it just not your type of game?

Edited by StormRacer872
  • Like 1

May I ask why you didn't like Shadow of Mordor? It seemed to be generally quite well received; was it just not your type of game?

When asked so politely, how can I refuse?!

To quote yourself, "It wasn't a bad game, just not my cup of tea."

I wanted to like it, I really did.  I just found it far too 'samey' throughout the time I spent with the game, the story didn't drag me in and encourage me to press forward. I think the only reason I played it for as long as I did was the nemesis side of things and enemies remembering your earlier encounters.  I'd like to see this incorporated into more games and expanded on.

• Like 1

worst: I bought some stickers for my ps3 controller and the console but after 1 minute i discover that i'm really terrible with stickers so everything stayed as they were before =/

best: Bioshock 1. I don't have so many games but i really got addicted to the story of this game. I'm playing it for the second time now and i pay more attention to cutscenes or quotes than the first time ^_^

I generally don't pick up games when they're released so none of these were actually released in 2014.

Best: Braid, Velocity Ultra, Dark Souls 1

All three of these games absolutely sucked me in. I thought about them while at work and couldn't wait to get back to playing each night. I still turn on braid and try to beat my speed run and will probably keep playing DS1 for months to come.

Worst: Crysis 3. I got into this game for the wrong reasons(free + quick plat). If I played through on normal with the extra tasks and then played on expert I probably wouldn't hate it so much. I just dislike that any time one enemy spots you the entire map converges on you and the super suit doesn't feel very super.