The benefits of having a female avatar/character in online games

Woop982

Is FFXIII and Skullgirls a genderflip?- those are games where the main characters are female.

A Genderflip is a game that you pick your gender I think- fallout,saints row , skyrim etc.

Anyway Dmann you are cool in my book glad you are sticking around the forums.

Technically no but the MC of FFXIII is a female. And Skullgirls is a fighting game with the gender % flipped.

There is also, unrelated, I played Gaige as my first MC in BL2. and I chose her, at the time, cause the class felt right to me.

Agreed! Any game that features a strong female lead is always going to catch my interest  :highfive:

I think games where the MC is female, but nobody really sees that, is a good concept as well...

• Like 1

Technically no but the MC of FFXIII is a female. And Skullgirls is a fighting game with the gender % flipped.

There is also, unrelated, I played Gaige as my first MC in BL2. and I chose her, at the time, cause the class felt right to me.

I think games where the MC is female, but nobody really sees that, is a good concept as well...

Very few games use this concept sadly  :|

• Like 1

That's kind of a nothing answer though... we don't have old habits to break.  The people doing the harassing need to clean up their act, and if they're okay with being dirtbags in the first place, it's going to take more than some "good vibes" to fix it.

Not that I expect you or me to have the answer, but that's what needs to happen in order to have these gender-specific usernames used freely without the risk of being singled out.  The community is broken, in this regard.  It needs to be fixed.  And I think that begins with the administrators, moderators and people with authority that run these games/servers taking swift action when harassment is reported.  And it ends with gamers as a whole cleaning up their act.

I know people out there are ok with being how they are- Not saying good vibes will fix it I'm saying if we don't even try then nothing will ever change.

I can say ok they want to be a ass- they will always be a ass- the end.

Or you could find a way to fix the problem- be it a mature dealing with the harasser instead of a huge scream fest etc.- or however you think would help the community improve.

If one at least tries who knows maybe out there another gamer might just try-then another and another etc.

Am I saying the community will stop being a breeding ground for nonsense?- no not at all but if we just accept what we have and ingore it things might end up getting worse.

Sometimes a good vibe can be a start to something.- just Imo.

Also no bad habits to break?- How about gamers who use hacks in games?

How about gamers who will taunt and bully new players?

Then those who bring up vulgar things be it race, gender etc.

Those habits could be broken if they wanted to just stop acting out and just enjoy gaming instead of using it as an outlet to lash out.

Same prob the internet itself deals with- bad habits are everywhere we just have to outgrow them or just continue to do it because we an.

Anyway in all things can be changed- I agree with you though will they change prob not- but human nature does surprise us when we least expect it so who knows?

Nice chatting about this but I'm off to forum games for like 15 min then jumping off.

Interesting views and stances Dreakon had fun talking and just sharing views- love the forums when they are more then just a question.

Edited by lts_Rainbow_Dash

Am I saying the community will stop being a breeding ground for nonsense?- no not at all but if we just accept what we have and ingore it things might end up getting worse.

Not sure how you got that from what you quoted me saying... but I am just going to assume you're speaking in general terms, and not to me specifically.

Back then in World of Warcraft (around Classic / BC) I played a female Nightelf Druid.

Because back then, Nightelfs where the only race in the Alliance which were able to became Druids.

I dont like the male models ...

So I got a female Nightelf Druid, named Kathy. ...Yes, Yes, I know... but it was nearly a decade ago, and back then with 15 I had not the patience, that I have today, to waste hours of "This name is unavailable."

So, I got an Invatation later for a guild.

People were pretty nice, helpfull, explaining stuff, helped me with my gear, so that I can go on raids with them.

I was in this guilds for months... We were like a family (that was normal around Classic / BC) talking about everything, had good times and funny raidfails (eg our elemental Shaman was drunk, pulled everything with chainlightning (?) in Karazhan :D

I was really happy and had fun. :D

As said, I was in this guild for months...

Suddenly, the female Co-Guildmaster wrote me...

Why I'm lying and why I'm abusing the poor guys...

I dont understand what she was trying to say.

Then she said, that physical females can detect guys acting like females.

... Huh?

I still havnt understand what she wanted...

I mean... I was acting like always...? Whats the matter? Have I done something wrong?

She asked me then, what do I think why everyone is that nice and friendly to me... and I should explain it on TeamSpeak.

... I said I dont like it to talk and stuff.

Then she said, that the Guildmaster really loves me.

...He was 36 back then, I was 15... I mean... guys.... GUYS? stawp! xD

So I thought she was making fun of me and I joined TeamSpeak. After I said hello .. I swear... the GuildMaster started crying.... Oh... shit...

Instant guildkick, every guy putted me on ignore, banned from TeamSpeak.

I asked the female Co-Leader (She was also above 30) then how this could happen. I mean... I have done nothing. I never thought about "that". I just played the female Nightelf Druid because I dont like the male Nightelfs because the design and because I played Warcraft3. The Nightelfs are for me a race of females. I mean, the only males back then were Druids. All other nightelfs where female. Also in WoW every nightelf cityguard is female. So I played the female Nightelfs for real reasons.

Anyway... she said then ... I'm acting too nice for a male ... ... ... WHAT?! What does that mean? "too nice"? I was just myself...

So, that happend ... in german, but it happened.

Since then I played WoW alone on an other server and for the Horde... and with huge breaks. Zakire @ EU-Dethecus. You can look her up if you want. pretty inactive character... Im just in a guld there because WoW is forcing massguilds for nice guildspells. Guess I wont play her again. Im not interested in MMOs today.

And meanwhile I really hate multiplayer... I mean, everyone missunderstands me.

Here at PSNP I tried to be a little funny and because my english is not that good I thought its okay... and now the offtopic section stops posting when Im there and sayed I'm weird.

I hate my life^^...

Edited by Neptune2
  • Like 4

Other players are definitely nicer to you with a female avatar. In Borderlands 2 I played as Gaige and the male players gave me rare/orange weapons, which is pretty good even if I feel a little bad. Also, when I had Nepgear as my PSN avatar I had a bunch of random people adding me, but I changed it because guys kept asking if I was a girl which is weird. Even if the person is a girl these guys think they'll see something lol. 

I had this happen in text chat most specifically. Sit in any public TC with a female avatar, (Most specifically, ones that can be categorised as "kawaii") and watch all the people making sex jokes towards you. The guys will also start trying to send you Friend Requests, and try proving you're "not a female" via "exposing you as a tranny". It's hilarious. I used to go in them just to watch the stupidity, now, I don't care.

• Like 1

I do this. and. it. is. the. best!!! I'm not even a girl. well not officially. I love messing with people and getting them to give me things or some just ask me out for no reason. and then the feeling you get when you tell em. I love it when they would unadd you, It's fun to me :3

By the way sorry if this makes me a bad person but again I never said i was a girl so it's their own fault

In terms with Online PC & such yes i sometimes want to be female.

In Maplestory you want the unique IGNS & hopefully their not taken if you know what i mean.
Here's Some Examples

LDQz9Zy.png
My3emrS.png
3z0aj6H.png

heck I use "Uni" "Etna" "Lighting" "Lumina" (New)Nepgear as my avatar because I'm an fan, but why on earth do people called be the N word         (which clearly all my avatars are white). Psn is full of idiots that's for sure.

Edited by SirNikolai
  • Like 1

Unless there's allot of female gamers playing COD AW, there are allot of female fighters. My guess is that the character looks slimmer and people think it's harder to shoot? I'm quite sure that names like (made up) "codhacker' or "quickscopeking" belong to guys.

I play the female in games where your mc or other characters are female. Eternal Sonata is an excellent example, the neptunia games, Mirrors edge and a few Final Fantasies. Never been in a creepy situation except when some french dude was wanting to know if I was Daniel Tosh, weird. I play allot of rpg's, I'd love to see more female lead roles in western gaming, the Japanese has this covered imo.

In terms with Online PC & such yes i sometimes want to be female.

Im female in soul, but nobody cared about it, because it would cost money to help me. ... And now its to late to do anything about it... So? :D

Oh, this would be a good addition to my previous post...

And to the "I was just myself"-line.

Or to the "I hate my life"-line.

• Like 1

I personally prefer to play as male, in online games i have experienced too many weird encounters when my character was female. And in jrpgs I'd like to see half naked men once in a while instead of those little girls in their skimpy outfits. I even play as male only parties in jrpgs/rpgs whenever it's possible.  B) (Mostly because the females usually have annoying personalities or they are useless in battle.) Anyways guys are usually hotter too, unless the girls are old enough and have BOOBS! <3

It's really weird ,people are ever overly nice , try to buy you things you certainly didn't ask for, help you out to the point where its patronizing. or they are overly nasty , like rape threats ,killing you and following you around shouting stuff.

I'm pretty easy going but in ps home somebody was following me around for a good 20 mins saying you are useless you are just a thing to fuck. you are a maid with benefits that's all women are.
then somebody told me how to put people on ignore.
same guy sent a friend request :P.

most guys are decent people, but the weirdos are certainly louder. I don't get why once you find out somebody is a girl, you must be a wanker. again not the majority of guys just some.

Edited by Kyomi-Okami
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In MMORPGs, males playing as female characters is quite normal, you're probably gonna automatically assume they are male rather than female because of the amount that do it.  I'm a female on the other hand who uses a male character.  There's maybe some games out there like CoD where people see a female character and probably go and help, I think that is rather rude though and not a benefit.

because I have HDN avatars I get a crap ton of Japanese PSN users add me.

Use Neptune then.

... Nobody cares for Neptune...  :(

Im totally the most awesome and kawaii from all (except Rom... ^_^ ) and nobody cares, just because I have no boobs! o_o

.... awww.... nepuu.... :(

BUT remember fellows!

KAWAII IS THE ONLY JUSTICE! TOTALY! ^_^

Use Neptune then.

... Nobody cares for Neptune...  :(

Im totally the most awesome and kawaii from all (except Rom... ^_^ ) and nobody cares, just because I have no boobs! o_o

.... awww.... nepuu.... :(

BUT remember fellows!

KAWAII IS THE ONLY JUSTICE! TOTALY! ^_^

but I love Vert/Green Heart, i do have Nep-Nep but hmm on my friends list maybe 10 people have Neptune. c:

but I love Vert/Green Heart, i do have Nep-Nep but hmm on my friends list maybe 10 people have Neptune. c:

Set Vert or GreenHeart as avatar here and join Sir Nice Guy Satoshis Fanclub, Veruu, buddyyyy. ^_^

They have no Vert/GH yet.

... Wait, what? 10 Neppys? :o I only have one Plutoshi. :D

But... That's the reason we love Nep :awesome:

Big boobs belong to Senran Kagura =D

Dont tell me things I already know, buddyyyy :D And no, big boobs belong to children fantasies.  :awesome:

Its like how CFW Trick said .... uhm, actually I have no idea how he would say it in english ... But we love sweet little buds, tehehe~, who need these giant cancerhatchery thingys and stuff anyway?

And its how Sora said: KAWAAAIIIII is the only justice. ^_^

... p-probably I should not tell Blanny I like flatchests. o_o

:D °oO(Ohhhh Blannyyyy <3 ... *blush*)

Edited by Neptune2