Post your trophy hunting stories. What type of hunter are you? Do we hunters have an addiction problem? Let's discuss my friends.

PleaseNoGizmo

I think I'm sort of a trophy hunter, I do like to see my trophy list with a good average of completion. I'm new with Playstation, I had an Xbox 360 and The Last of Us was pretty much the reason I bought a PS4, since then I'm all crazy about the trophies. I cared about my achievements in Xbox, but not as much as my trophies in PS, the system it's just so much better and addicting. 

Right now I'm working on the platinum of Rayman Legends & LittleBigPlanet 3 and the 100% of The Last of Us, Ground Zeroes and Assassin's Creed: Unity. I don't have a good internet connection to play online games, so I have to go to another house to play and that's the reason I hate online trophies and that's why I take so long completing some video games like The Last of Us who require some online trophies (but I'm all into this 100%, it's my duty to complete my favorite game ever!). And I will not start playing some other games that I have until I have a good score on Rayman Legends.

But yeah, I obviously play games to enjoy them, I'm one of those people who enjoys a good story over almost everything. 

• Like 2

I would probably consider myself to be an average Trophy hunter. My completion always sits around the 50% mark. (Usually just below unfortunately.) I love getting Trophies. I try play games just to enjoy the journey but signposted along that journey are Trophies. And I want them. All of them! 

I don't go to the extremes of avoiding games if a Trophy list looks too difficult. I'll enjoy the game and get as many Trophies as I can. 

For me Multi-player is always the biggest turn off. I'm just crap at multi-player. For some reason when a real person is trying to kill me my ability to function goes out the window and I may as well be a a red shirt from Star Trek. I'm that dead.

Sometimes there's not too much involved and I'll endure it to finish a game off. Sometimes I'll see that you have to be the highest ranked player in an online deathmatch, I just laugh and scrub that one up to be a non Platinum game.

The thing that bugs me the most though are the games on my account from my early days before I understood how things worked. Plenty of games I don't play or don't like and will never get finished, but at least I don't have to worry about a 100% completion. Kinda helps me be more laid back. 

Currently I'm swearing off buying new games until I've cleared out several of my current ones. Got several Platinum's I know I can obtain. Just need to get to work and stop slobbing about watching Netflix!

Trophies have no financial value. The trophies you have don't impress anybody. You can't take trophies with you when you die. Trophies are less accomplishments and more "Hey, I played a videogame". Trophies will not make people accept you. Trophies will not hide any flaws you have as a human being and will only succeed in magnifying them. If you need trophies to extend how much you play a game, then it's not the game, it's you and your lack of ability to have fun. Trophies are virtual pats on the back, akin to treats given to dogs when they've done a trick, and playing to obtain trophies is putting yourself on the same level as a dog. Except the dog receives something physical and tangible, while you receive something virtual and worthless.

I hope you're not generalizing all trophy hunters, but unfortunately it sounds like you are. While some hunters may be addicted at an unhealthy level, I don't think anybody hunts trophies solely to seek approval from others.

Maybe it starts off as trying to get your first platinum trophy to brag to friends, but then it eventually escalates to a point of no return. A point where you're trophy hunting compulsively for no particular reason.

Maybe you're impressed with your own collection.

Maybe you enjoy platinums because it awards a feeling of 'mastering' a game.

Maybe you're trophy hunting to try & find a sense of self-identity.

Hardcore trophy hunters do not seek the approval of others, at least not primarily. It's not cool to insult people like that; trophy hunting is just like any other addiction and should not be blatantly insulted like how you're doing. So smarten up and don't generalize or make assumptions about trophy hunters being attention-seeking 'dogs'.

--------------------------

Anyways, I personally started trophy hunting when I got my first platinum. I wanted to know what it felt like, and I wanted to show off that I mastered the game (MW2 was my fav game at the time). It felt really gratifying to earn the trophy; it added hours of replayability to an otherwise tired game, and it basically gave me the right to say that I 'mastered' a particular game. It was a great feeling of accomplishment, and since then I've been trying to expand my platinum count for the aforementioned reasons.

Edited by GIONAScm2
  • Like 1

Trophies have no financial value. The trophies you have don't impress anybody. You can't take trophies with you when you die. Trophies are less accomplishments and more "Hey, I played a videogame". Trophies will not make people accept you. Trophies will not hide any flaws you have as a human being and will only succeed in magnifying them. If you need trophies to extend how much you play a game, then it's not the game, it's you and your lack of ability to have fun. Trophies are virtual pats on the back, akin to treats given to dogs when they've done a trick, and playing to obtain trophies is putting yourself on the same level as a dog. Except the dog receives something physical and tangible, while you receive something virtual and worthless.You

You, my friend, are depressing...

I've always been a competitive person. On the N64, I would always set these goals like 'be number 1 on all the races' and 'get a level 99 of every pokemon' after I finished the game (most of them I never achieved). So, when I came to Playstation, I found that I didn't have to make my own challenges, I just had to follow the trophies. The proof is also more visible; instead of having to be in game to see my accomplishments, I can look at my trophies.

As for my playing style, I have limited funds and access to games, so if I can get my hands on it, I'm playing it. Most of the games I platinumed I've done with no breaks between, which I just recently realize and I'm trying to fix that habit. Most of the time, I'll play through the game until I get to a point; either I finish the campaign, reach a difficult part, or I get my hands on a new game. (I also always get as many trophies as I can as soon as I can) Then, the game goes in my backlog to be completed later. I read trophy guides, I have unobtainable plats, and I don't buy DLCs. I don't test games out on an alternative account, I don't play exclusively one game until I plat it, and I don't honestly believe I'll ever get every trophy, but it's a goal.

I also set goals as I trophy hunt. I want to get my completion to over 50, but I kind of gave up on that. Right now, I'm only starting a new game once I finish an old one because I want my completed games to be 25 and my total games be 100. I also want to overtake my brother, whose about 50 percent points higher then me. Sometimes, I go down random people's profiles and find a game they have more trophies then I do and I play the game until I overtake them.

Is it an addiction? Hmm, maybe. I play games because I enjoy them, because I want that challenge. Gaming with no challenge isn't fun for me. I've reach a point where the games don't hold the challenge anymore, the challenge is in achieving trophies. Some people may think that mindset is 'whorish' in ways, but I game for a challenge and trophies are that challenge.

I think i can say that i'm an average trophy hunter, more a platinum hunter i think as i only play games which has a platinum trophy. I like to get my games 100% even more when they're extremely difficult or taking more than 100+ hours, it gives me a boost when i completed it. My completion rate is 75% at the moment, this is where i am stil working on. Games getting more, more and more DLC's which is really annoying.

Online trophies are the ones i really hate, beacause you need more people to get your game 100%. It should be possible to get your game to 100% without help from any other people.

Like the person above me said "Gaming with no challenge isn't fun for me" I totally agree with it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ever since I was a kid I would have a problem with seeing my games not 100%. It started with yoshi's island where you unlocked the bonus stages if you 100% them all. I guess this carried over to playstation. Now every game I play I earn as many trophies as possible and am recently going back through my games cleaning up online trophies incase servers shut down.

Initially I started just playing games I liked and I'd try getting 100% if I felt it wasn't wasting my time. So early on I just worried about trophy count and leveling up. I vowed to not go for mp trophies that required a long investment after getting the platinum in Bioshock 2. Like some others posted already, I hate looking at something that isn't 100%. So this led to me incorporating playing games I like and my completion %. Then I stumbled across a post from a user who's signature stated that he had 20 ultra rare platinums. I had never even checked that before and found out I had maybe 5(can't recall exactly) at the time. So then I added getting Ultra Rare platinums to my hunting goals.

Now I really would like to have a 100% profile but I have a few unobtainable trophies. A dlc trophy for Madden 10. The rank trophies in FEAR 2 and the mp trophies in Overlord 2. Now Madden 10 and FEAR 2 I played when I was simply trying for trophy count and didn't play mp really. As for Overlord 2, the reason it's on my profile is because my brother wanted the mp trophies since that was all he needed for platinum. I was doing something at the time and didn't want to help. So I was pissed off but I helped him. He got all the trophies and said your turn. But I was being a baby and said I don't want them. So it sat as a 0% for a couple years. Then when I started working on completion % I worked my way back through some other games and when I got to Overlord 2, I found out I was a month too late from the server shutdown. Now at the time I was unaware there was a mp dlc trophy in Madden 10 and the server for FEAR 2 was still up so it was at that point I had the disappointment of knowing I can never have a 100% profile. So for a long time I deeply regretted not getting the Overlord 2 trophies until later on when I found out I was upset for nothing because that dlc trophy for Madden 10 was really when I lost my 100%.

However I think this was a blessing in disguise because the higher I got the more of disappointment it would have been to lose the 100% and the added pressure of trying to maintain it. RIght now if a server goes down on a game on my profile or one I have yet to play then oh well.

I started trophy hunting because playing through a game's story/multiplayer, then never going back to it is not enough to satisfy me - I'm easily bored, and I guess I'd just like to say trophy hunting is a hobby.

I'm a completionist. I'm currently trying to achieve 100% trophy completion - that being said, I don't just go for easy trophies either. But I will avoid playing games with shutdown servers, or that boast ludicrous online trophies - Lost Planet 2 and Time Crisis: Razing Storms, I'm looking at you. However I'll never not play a game because it may be hard, I'm up for the challenge and in the end my determination always wins anyway.

I've been a trophy hunter since July, 2013 back on my old account. I guess I could technically say my first platinum is Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. If I had stuck to using my old account, I'd now be a trophy level 25. I started this new account back at the start of September last year because of my OCPD - I wanted to start fresh, and change my ID to something I was satisfied with. I'm very happy with my decision.  ^_^

I personally wouldn't say my attaining of trophies is an "addiction problem", as I previously stated, just a hobby. I think of it like this, for example when my school friends ask as to why I trophy hunt, I just say "I find it satisfying, and indulging. Instead of spending lots of time playing the same game over-and-over like Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto V, I spend it across numerous games, attaining their trophies." or I'd sometimes just say "They make me moist.", which is then greeted with a perplexed face. Trophy hunting really does bring the most out of a game too, you've not just partially played it and then discontinued it; trophies mostly always make you play the game to the full extent, and that is the worth of which I speak.

I'd say there are a lot of people out there that are too involved in trophies, though. Trophy hunters that prioritise their trophies before social life and other important events in life are the ones who should seriously get their priorities in check. (I'm not insulting anyone here, but theoretically speaking, they do exist.) I don't even understand how people like RoughDawg4 and Hakoom are able to trophy hunt everyday, hour after hour, doing nothing but trophy hunting - I'd just see no point in it at that extremity. 

Across both of my accounts, I've had my fair share of hard, tedious, downright frustrating trophies - And when I went for the Sound Shapes platinum on my old account, it really did break something inside - Sounds Shapes was like a boxing class to release anger, and thanks to it, I no longer rage at any games. It's just trial and error; repeat and learn what I did wrong, and what to do right next. On this account I'm going for a lot more challenge, and as far as I can see, I'll be trophy hunting for years to come.

Edited by Aela
  • Like 1

I dont think we have an addiction problem...

Others play since 10 years WoW, 

others have THOUSANDS of hours in Diablo, just because itemfarming.

others are playing LoL like there are no other games.

others creating every weeks a new Starcraft2 account to ladder, because they can play against beginners and noobs again.

why it should be suddenly an addiction just because it is for a trophy? I dont get it ... looks like a doublestandard for me.

I am a gamer first and always.  I won't do trophies that require me to do a boring task (I have in the past on one or two and it was a waste of time), as I go forward and my backlog builds up I realise I should just play games and enjoy them, there's more than enough good games out there for me to play crap games for easy trophies.  Also in terms of cheap trophies, the instant game collection has given us all insane backlogs os we don't need to bother looking for games solely for trophies.

I guess I am a trophy hunter - you don't get to 61 plats without being a bit of one.  I am not a completionist though, just at 51%.  I never cared about trophies until InFamous, did both the good and evil runs and saw I was only a couple of trophies from a plat, went for it.  I liked that shiny Platinum trophy on my profile.  It felt good, so I tried another, borrowed a few games from my brother.  Before I knew it  I was poppin' plats on the regular.  I never play a game just for the plat - but if I like the game I went for it.  For me it was a way to get more life out of a game that I had already beat, but wanted more of.  I was trading games back in forth with my brothers, game flying, and PS+'ing it.  But all of the games had to be ones that I wanted to play, no Hannah Montana or Terminator Salvation BS, I wanted them to be good games.  So I have a  lot of games at 0%, for me was never about the completion %, just the plats.  I may have platted some less than stellar games, but they were all ones I wanted to play and enjoyed.  I may have done some bs grindy stuff, or maybe a little boosting, but only if I was close.  I have always had way too many games at my disposal to invest more time into a game I was not digging.  I did not always know if a game was going to be one I liked, so I tried them all (hence my less than stellar completion %)  So I am at a respectable level 28 almost seven years after my first plat.

When I first got a PS3, I couldn't buy games too often, so trophies gave my games more bang for the buck.

Collecting trophies sort of grew on me, and now that I have a job and enough money to buy games every now and then, I still go for the Platinum on every game I play...

As for "war stories", I'll share a couple.

The first game I ever played on my PS3 was also the longest game it took me to Plat. 

I didn't know much about trophies when I first started playing GTA IV, so I missed a lot of them during my first few playthroughs. It was only 4 and a half years later that I managed to get every trophy.

The first "difficult" Platinum I earned was Killzone 2's. To achieve one of the trophies, Valor Grand Cross, I had to play between 3~4 hours a day online for a week straight, which proved to be one of the most fun gaming experiences of my life... 

Lately, I've been taking trophy hunting a lot easier, and I don't feel as compelled to earn every trophy as I did back then. No clue why.

Edited by BumperSticker

Obviosuly I've just started but I'm a Plat hunter.

100% doesnt worry me unless the DLC is worth it to me. 

On PC I always went for as many achievements as I could so I do love getting them..the Platinum is just the icing on the cake, I love that the base game gets that symbol.

But I still only play games I enjoy :)

I'm a completionist trophy hunter. 2 years ago I met a group of gamers on here to help with boosting GTA4 and because of these guys i have been obsessed with completing all games. I spent glass 2 years working on my backlog to raise my completion percentage and I went from about 33% to 73%. It's been a long road completing so many unfinished games but because of the guys I met playing GTA4 they helped me on all my games. We are a gaming group and we have about 8 guys now who are all friends and like earning Plats and 100%s and we all met on this site. Gaming with these guys have definitely molded by trophy identity as before that I didn't care much to earn plats and 100%s

I enjoy collecting trophies enough that I will continue to play a game I don't necessarily enjoy, just for the satisfaction of getting the damn digital rewards.My platinums will always consist of only the games I truly enjoyed and will not require a monotonous grind of 100+ hours. The trophies keep me in check, and I end up replaying campaigns rather than spending to much money on new games all the time. 

There is not a whole lot to share as for my stories. The only real challenge I faced was on the PS3 when I got the Tomb Raider platinum which involved 15+ hours in one day on that terrible multiplier. I sweated it out and ended up regretting the fact that I wasted a day just for a platinum. After that I realized that I will only get platinums for special games like TLOU, Uncharted, Dead Space, Bioshock, etc.

i think i would consider myself a hunter but then there is this little part of myself that says no mainly because i give myself HUGE BREAKS in between when i start a new game or buy a new game (mainly used copy's via ebay / rebuy / gamestop) right now i have kind of a game break because there don't seem any games that catch my interest in any sort of way (well kind of a lie there FF type 0 looks like a nice JRPG that i'm interested but still till the 20th March is kind of a huge break)

I really try to keep myself from playing to much a day, with that being said I still want to plat more games. Though what drives me is my want to plat the games I enjoy or have respect for. Shadow of the Colossus is the perfect example, as I was on my way to platinuming that game but then put it down after raging in the middle of my playthrough on hard mode, I never picked it back up. Now I'm only on PS4 and I haven't seen any signs of it being updated for this console and that stings deep because I really enjoyed my time with that game.

Leaving it there without the plat is practically insulting to the game.

I enjoy completing games to the fullest, and that obviously means 100% - Platinums. I mean, I love playing games for just the fun of it, and the enjoyement of it, but I love fully completing games. And to me that is doing everything the game has to offer. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've always played games to 100% way before trophies...that I enjoy. ATM it's easy to say for me I'm a 100% gamer but I know there will be a time I load up a game and just don't enjoy it enough to bother - I don't see the point of a second test account that some do. i'd rather build up a history of games so I can look back and see what I enjoyed and didn't over the years. Same with DLC, I might enjoy the base game but not enough to spend money on extra content.

But I do love hearing the ding. Personally I couldn't see myself playing or buying games games just for trophies, surely that would just be boring and I might miss out on a awsum game because I felt it would be too hard to plat (Oh Hai Bloodborne - judging by previous soul games this one will be a challenge)

The only thing I've changed with my ps4 is I'm trying not to game hop too much. I used to be terrible at it and as a result never got around to finishing alot of games. I'm trying to stick to one at a time now though I suspect that won't last as my game collection builds up:P

Edited by Inokih

It's so bad for me that I try not to purchase games that I can't platinum, usually it's games with online trophies that I stay away from. Trophy hunting helped me concur my fear of playing hard modes for games. Since the games difficulty trophies stack, I just start every game on hard difficulty. I have a few trophies that have haunted me such as that last trophy on vanquish that I never could get. I spent a week trying to get that last trophie and never did. I was 50% thru Prototype, but that game was just exhausting. Once I achieved my first platinum which was for Uncharted 1 it started a chain reaction, that made me crave nothing but platinums.

I go back and forth in my trophy hunting. I would call it StarOcean-itis. I really want to plat that game, but it's really, REALLY annoying. I'm down to two trophies (collect all battle trophies and collect all items), and three battle trophies (30000 kills for Arumat and 15000/30000 kills for Edge), but I can only take so much of the grind before it wears me down. I think I will finish (I got all 55 of Faize's Grigori kills, after all), but...yeah.

I have done some pretty good hunting over the years. I have two PS3s, so I can self-boost, which I have used to advantage on BattleFantasia and PuzzleQuest: Galactrix (and will one day use to finish the stupid Peace Walker online crap, as well as some other stuff). I sat for hours boosting the stupid Warhammer 40K online trophies (thankfully, I had a great group of people to boost with, who were patient with me when my wife had a baby). Of course, I've left my machine on for 40 hours to finish Ar Tonelico's stupid "Play 100 hours (even though we only have 60 hours of content!)" trophy.

At times, I have ignored games because of trophies (or lack thereof). I am more critical of games with lousy trophies these days than those with bad grind trophies.

• 2 weeks later...

I am completionist trophy hunter. I dont buy and own so many games, but when I have a game I do really like, I will try very hard to get all trophies available from it and just focus on that game only at a time. So, as a result, my completion percentage never drop below 99% once I platinum the game on my list.

I like to just play games earning whatever trophies i can and then if i enjoyed it loads i'll go back and mop up some more e.g collectibles, different ways of completing a mission and so on, does not bother me one bit if i don't 100% a game esp if it has online trophies because i very rarely play online. I love collecting trophies but not to the point that it takes away the fun of the game