Marvel (sort of) have Spidey again!

Super-Fly Spider-Guy

I am happy that both Sony and Disney were able to agree to work together for the sake of the Marvel films....................Now we wait for Fox (I doubt it though)

I wonder when is Spidey going to appear in the Avengers, is it going to be in the Infinity Wars or in Civil War.

It's a shame Andrew Garfield won't be returning, I liked his version of Spider-Man. But Avengers 3 is gonna kick so much ass especially with Spidey. 

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man

Edited by Azaan60

Glad that Marvel get to produce the next Spiderman film with Sony, never been a fan of the movies, they always seem a bit to childish (especially before the reboot). Will be cool to see them bring Spiderman into the MCU though, hopefully in Civil War and maybe they will make a decent Spiderman movie!

Shame though that Sinister Six and Venom films will end up being delayed / scrubbed. Gutted to hear Black Panther and Thor will be delayed as well ....

Edited by sixones

I'm a bit sad that the Amazing Spider-man continuity (last 2 movies) will not be continued, but on the other hand, Emma Stone's character died, so who cares.

And heck no. No Spiderman 4. Tobey Maguire was awful as hell, as was Kirsten Dunst.

I'm intrigued to finally see Spider-man in the official MCU, I just hope they don't make another origin movie because that would be too many in a very short timespan.

• Like 3

1. Spiderman 4 won't happen.

2. It'll probably still take some time for Spidey to actually show up on the big screen since Marvel usually works a lot in advance in terms of their movies, whcih means the movies to be released in the coming few years are already so far in production it'll be hard to smuggle him in at this point. I'm expecting him to debut in the Infinity War movies.

Overall, this is something i'm happy to hear. I'm not really that big of a fan as i used to be as a kid but i do think he deserves more than what Sony's been giving him.

Sony Pictures have systematically butchered Spiderman over the years and are the sole reason why he hasn't been picked up in the true Marvel movie universe sooner. He is one of my favourite superheroes, so to hear that Disney are getting involved is great news. Perhaps finally he will get the chance to shine a bit more as a character.

Shame Andrew Garfield isn't carrying on though. Out of the entire Spiderman movie-set so far, he was the actor that came the closest to being a proper Peter Parker. Tobey Maguire was way too limp and watery, had none of that sarcasm. I'm sure they will find a replacement though.

Only worry I have is that Sony will still have complete control over him as a property. So we could still be faced with the same stuff, just with the Marvel logo before the movie starts.

Tl:dr - this is (possibly) great news! Finally Spidey will get the proper movie-making attention he deserves. Here's hoping for a franchise reboot after the current Marvel movie schedule. Perhaps somewhere in the distant future we'll even get to see Venom in the mix.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

I'm a bit sad that the Amazing Spider-man continuity (last 2 movies) will not be continued, but on the other hand, Emma Stone's character died, so who cares.

And heck no. No Spiderman 4. Tobey Maguire was awful as hell, as was Kirsten Dunst.

I'm intrigued to finally see Spider-man in the official MCU, I just hope they don't make another origin movie because that would be too many in a very short timespan.

I have to slightly disagree about Tobey Maguire. I thought the first two Spider Man films were fantastic. Especially Spider-Man 2. As for Spider-Man 3....well it was just an abomination. Even Sam Rami says he's not sure why he let Sony release that movie in the state it was. But about the news, it's awesome I guess. Never really big into Marvel or comics in general. I just sit back and enjoy the movies. Just please, no more origin story for Spider-Man. We've seen it twice now. No need for a 3rd.

• Like 2

while at the time i loved tobey maguire as spiderman heck even in part 3 sure i knew it was butchering the comics and all but hey spiderman!! but then we got andrew garfield and omg he was peter parker/spiderman for me i looked back and oh man i saw how rediculously horrible tobey was as spiderman plus he was to old atleast andrew looks abot the right age and has a uick witty spiderman humer sadly if hes out the door ill give new guy a chance what the heck but unless he is spot on waaay better than andrew garfield im just gunna have to give up on spiderman and maybe even marvel movies if there the ones killing off garfield then they lack brains

I personally preferred Toby Maguire to Andrew Garfield as both Peter Parker and Spider-man, both do a great job but I have a real soft spot for the Sam Raimi trilogy.

I still like the amazing spider-man movies but they are a little too teen angst for my liking, the whole I love you but I've been forbidden to love you cliche felt too imposing when I just wanted to see some web slinging and making Peter Parker a cool, hip skater boy was unnecessary.

As I said though I enjoy both versions and hope any future movies keep a strong standard. I think it depends largely on who they cast in the role.

• Like 1

In my dream scenario, and this is coming from someone who at one point in time GENUINELY thought the reboot of Spidey happening was the worst thing in his life, Andrew keeps the role.

BUT, not the main role. Here's what I'd hope, in release order

Civil War, with Tobey

Spider-Man 4 with Tobey

Amazing 3 with Andrew

Marvel Team Up with Tobey

Spidey 5 + Amazing 4/Sinister Six, both franchises just keep pumping out sequels for a bit and then,

A few years down the Marvel road,

Cross dimension Spidey team up with Andrew and old man Tobey vs Army of Darkness, or something imposing.

Ever since the news broke of the deal it has been all I can think about given that Spidey is my favorite hero because I can relate to certain aspects of his life (growing up raised by an aunt and uncle, among other things) and at first I didn't think I liked the deal that was made just because I loved The Amazing Spider-Man franchise and didn't want to let that go. I knew beforehand that Andrew was out because it was in the e-mails that were hacked. I was hoping it was false but prepared for the worst. I grew up with Tobey's Spider-Man but Andrew's is the one I'll probably always say is THE Spider-Man 40 years from now. But since about a week has passed since the announcement I'm ready to see Marvel's take on him. He belongs with Marvel Studios imo. Also I believe they've said they want to keep the character in high school which is the best choice. I don't understand why a majority of people like Peter Parker when he's older and out of college even. I heard a rumor that they sent Josh Hutcherson's screen test back when he did it for the first TASM. I'm willing to bet he's a front-runner.

Anyway, I think it would be a little cool if they did a Edge of Time inspired story like X-Men: Days of Future Past. That way they can bring Tobey back and maybe have Andrew too and whoever Marvel's Spider-Man is. That would be cool and give a proper send off to the two actors that played the character greatly.

Also, I hate Miles Morales and if Marvel ever chooses to use him, I will die. He is NOT Spider-Man.

A lot of hate for Tobey Maguire. Personally, I thought he portrayed a much better Spider-Man and the writing in his movies was a lot truer to the character. I mean, PP is supposed to be this nerdy kid, awkward with women, who only wise-cracks when he's in the suit and feeling confident. Garfield's PP, as it was written, came over as altogether too cool, confident, and sarcastic and didn't really fit the PP I remember reading as a kid.

Another reason the Amazing S-M movies sucked, IMO, was the direction they decided to go with the story. Making it so that the spider venom that gave him his powers was engineered using PP's dad's DNA, so only PP could become Spider-Man completely undermines the character. The whole point in S-M was that he was supposed to be an everyman; someone who through circumstance alone was blessed/cursed with great power and had to learn to take on the responsibility of using that power for good. This made him a character we could all relate to - what would I do if I had Spidey's powers? we could ask ourselves. If only PP could be Spider-Man, then you could never have become S-M and that aspect of his character, which I feel is fundamental, is undermined. Having said that, I did prefer the visuals in the Amazing S-M films; the costumes in the Sam Raimi films looked a little campy and I preferred the "real life" feel.

And don't even get me started on all the crap with PP's dad's research and Oscorp; I'm sorry but making it so that one organisation is responsible for all the villains is lazy writing in the extreme. Sam Raimi's villains had personality, motivations and character development - just look at Doc Ock in S-M2 who was motivated by his wife's death and the influence of the robotic arms, and by the end of the film takes responsibility for what he's done and "wins" over the robotic arms to perform one final act of self sacrifice. The Amazing S-M villains are all bad "because Oscorp". Boring, lazy, uninteresting.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Miles Morales as S-M if they wanted to use him, but I can't see it happening. His books are a fresh and interesting take on Spidey, and would justify a new origin story. Kotaku and the Escapist had some interesting things to say on introducing him to the MCU. The articles I've linked are an interesting read.

And yeah, S-M 3 didn't work that well, I'll happily admit that. But not because of that sequence where PP was dressing in black and being all emo - that bit was perfect from a narrative perspective. PP, who had never been "cool" was trying too hard. And the Symbiote had no frame of reference for "cool". All PP knew about "cool" was that the guys who used to pick on him were "cool" back in high school; which is why, I think, he bullied M-J like he did in the club. Maybe I'm giving Sam Raimi too much credit here, but I think we were supposed to feel awkward watching those scenes and, narratively, they fit with a nerdy and hurting PP trying too hard.