Do you think rareity equals skill?

TakeaShower__

Everyone likes getting trophies but do you feel even better earning a trophy thats ultra rare or even less than one percent?

Part of the reason i enjoy trophies is the challange some games give you and when so little people have overcome that challenge it makes it all the more satisfying to beat.

Trophies can create many personal goals.

My question is do you think the rareness of a trophy makes it more desirable due to the skills needed to earn it, would you rather have rare trophies than a ton of easy platinums?

Sure, it can take skill for rarity.

However, some games don't get hyped like others so only a minor play some games and platinum them. Which means they are quite rare.

Then you have games like Call of Duty. I'm sure everyones sick of seeing that but the amount of players that play that game compared to trophy hunters. It's always considered rare.

If every single person who played cod went for trophies it would probably be the most common platinum.

I've never really been arsed about rarity but if something comes up UR then I'm pretty happy I;m in that minor.

• Like 1

It depends heavily on the game. Some take pure determination to earn because they're just really long or grindy games/platinums that take a lot of time (Star Ocean, Mortal Kombat).

However, There are also a lot of games out there that are heavily dependent on skill (Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Ninja Gaiden games). Some could earn these over time, but more skilled players could probably earn the plats for those with little effort. I got the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed plat with little effort on my end because racing games are the only genre of games I've played competitively.

Depends on the game really.

Some UR platinums are grindy, and require alot of time but aren't that hard honestly (atleast in my opinion). Mugen souls, fifa games, dungeon defenders, WipEout 2048, ... 

Even though they aren't that hard, doesn't mean they aren't prestigious platinums. 

And then there are UR platinums who are actually hard. WipEout HD, Max Payne 3, AVP, Ninja gaiden 2,...

• Like 1

I think it depends on how hard a game is, the person's interest in obtaining all trophies for a game and how fun a game is.

For example Disgaea games have a ton of either very rare and ultra rare trophies.  The game itself is very easy but im sure on average not many people have the patience to power grind to achieve some of the goals required for the trophies.

And for some games like Sonic All Stars or Stealth the challenges are hard so it would take skills to get some trophies.

And im sure that there are tons of gamers probably more skilled than some trophy hunters but would rather play the game for fun rather than play to earn trophies

Absolutely not. The majority of ultra rare trophies under 1% are multiplayer grind trophies, a complete waste of time for those who do not enjoy the multiplayer of a specific game. There are some skilful ultra rare platinums, namely fighting games, but anything that is ultra rare due to time investment or multiplayer grinding/boosting as a requirement should never be considered rare. 

• Like 1

Absolutely not. The majority of ultra rare trophies under 1% are multiplayer grind trophies, a complete waste of time for those who do not enjoy the multiplayer of a specific game. There are some skilful ultra rare platinums, namely fighting games, but anything that is ultra rare due to time investment or multiplayer grinding/boosting as a requirement should never be considered rare. 

Couldn´t agree more. Beside that we can´t forget that a lot of games like Fifa, Call of Duty have ultra rare trophies or plats because the majority of players who bought them don´t give a shit about trophies.

Different games different audience and different types of trophy hunters

Edited by andrefilipe26
  • Like 1

For the most part, if I see an UR, it's going to be more impressive than something less rare. But there are exceptions, so it ultimately depends on the game.

For example, if I see a Tales of Symphonia plat (2.29%), I'm going to be impressed, because that plat requires a lot of planning, time, and a bit of skill to get. If I see a PS4 DCUO plat (0.71%), I'm not going to be impressed, because it's fairly easy to get. As you just have to do the same thing 6 times in a row. Which is easy even the first time you do it.

• Like 1

In some cases, yes. In some cases, no. 

But what I do hate, is arrogance over the owning of ultra rare trophies. We get it, you own a rare trophy, yet the fuck I'm supposed to give continues to fly on over my head, and I'm not being arsed to go catch it.

Edited by Evi

No and the best example of this is the Grinder Man trophy from Surge Deluxe, for this trophy you just have to matchup 100,000 blocks. It is a grind but requires no skill yet it is rarer than plats like Tales of Symphonia, Muramasa Rebirth, and Shadow of the Colossus?! Unless matching the same color blocks requires an insane amount of skill then no, rarities doesn't equal skill doods. 

Edited by Wdjat Prinny Doods

No and the best example of this is the Grinder Man trophy from Surge Deluxe, for this trophy you just have to matchup 100,000 blocks. It is a grind but requires no skill yet it is rarer than plats like Tales of Symphonia, Muramasa Rebirth, and Shadow of the Colossus?! Unless matching the same color blocks requires an insane amount of skill then no, rarities doesn't equal skill doods. 

How dare you speak ill of Grinder Man. I thought we determined awhile ago that colour matching is the most skillful thing you can do :)

• Like 1

How dare you speak ill of Grinder Man. I thought we determined awhile ago that colour matching is the most skillful thing you can do :)

Sssssssshhhhh *whispers* I'm only making people think it is simple so more people will play it, give up on it, which will then make it even rarer dood :devil:

Edited by Wdjat Prinny Doods
  • Like 1

Not really. There are times where most of the player base is not really interessed in the trophies (Like Call of Duty; According to a fairly recent feature on gamesradar, only 57% of players got the trophy for completing the first mission on CoD: Ghosts), times where trophies are just too grindy for people to care, and sometimes, the game is just bad.

Of course, I personally rather have some rare plats than lots of easy ones (I mean, I like to platinum what I like to play), but sometimes just rarity doesn't necessairly mean skill, even though they can be related.

yes it has become to common as of late.

Keep playing Surge people :)

Sssssssshhhhh *whispers* I'm only making people think it is simple so more people will play it, give up on it, which will then make it even rarer dood :devil:

Never give into you're trickery to make a trophy even more Ultra Rare for u 2. Hahaha  :devil:  :P  :ninja:

Everyone likes getting trophies but do you feel even better earning a trophy thats ultra rare or even less than one percent?

As a trophy hunter, any trophy that contains the word "rare" does not exist in my vocabulary. I earn trophies for the sake of earning trophies (along with having fun) regardless of what the game is or whether the trophy itself requires any skill. If I do get a trophy that is ultra rare, then who cares? I just move on with the game in hopes of getting the platinum as soon as possible so that I can try out another game.

Edited by GarciaFever