Trophies: Quantity or Quality?

TakeaShower__

It doesn't really matter to me overall, but I'd say if I ever got to the point where I had four Sound Shapes, Aabs Animals and a bunch of visual novels on my profile, I'd consider myself to be earning trophies for bad reasons. So that probably means I'm for quality over quantity.

Besides avoiding those games that just hand you trophies, it's not really something that I pay much attention to.

Edited by Shadiochao
  • Like 2

The way I do it is get the games I'm interested in playing and then I just get the most trophies I possibly can in all of my games, it's been a rule of mine for years (even before finding this site), I guess that kind of helped out with my completion percentage without even trying much, haha.

That simple rule gets you a pretty good profile, you should have a lot of platinums with that, a high completion percentage, good stats, and so on... All by just getting games you wanna play and getting as many trophies as you can in those games. That's simply what I go for, I definitely don't want to have a profile with just a ton of  0 - 10% games that I've played for like 30 mins and never touched again though, lol but I guess those wouldn't be games I would be interested in playing, now are they? :P

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

It doesn't really matter to me overall, but I'd say if I ever got to the point where I had four Sound Shapes, Aabs Animals and a bunch of visual novels on my profile, I'd consider myself to be earning trophies for bad reasons. So that probably means I'm for quality over quantity.

Besides avoiding those games that just hand you trophies, it's not really something that I pay much attention to.

Not trying to start anything. But if for people like me, who really enjoyed Sound Shapes for the game it is, not for the trophies, then it doesn't apply.  I played that game for the sheer love of it, not necessarily for the trophies.  And I didn't even use the "load and unlock" method sooo.

The game is just awesome.  Music and platforming?  Hell yeah!

Edited by daftprophet
  • Like 2

The way I do it is get the games I'm interested in playing and then I just get the most trophies I possibly can in all of my games, it's been a rule of mine for years (even before finding this site), I guess that kind of helped out with my completion percentage without even trying much, haha.

That simple rule gets you a pretty good profile, you should have a lot of platinums with that, a high completion percentage, good stats, and so on... All by just getting games you wanna play and getting as many trophies as you can in those games. That's simply what I go for, I definitely don't want to have a profile with just a ton of  0 - 10% games that I've played for like 30 mins and never touched again though, lol but I guess those wouldn't be games I would be interested in playing, now are they? :P

This is pretty much how I handle things, but I tend to stick with sections of games I'm interested in (I don't often go into tacked on multiplayer, so I leave those trophies and live without the platinum).

There have been a couple of games my younger cousins played on my PS3 and I didn't even consider the trophy lists being added to my profile, which is unfortunate. If I ever get through my ever growing backlog, I might purchase the games and get a bunch of trophies to improve their %, even if it doesn't result in getting 100% for them.

• Like 1

Not trying to start anything. But if for people like me, who really enjoyed Sound Shapes for the game it is, not for the trophies, then it doesn't apply.  I played that game for the sheer love of it, not necessarily for the trophies.  And I didn't even use the "load and unlock" method sooo.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with just replaying a game, I should've been more specific. I only meant the people who just use it for 80-400 instant trophies after having completed it once.

• Like 1

Oh, there's nothing wrong with just replaying a game, I should've been more specific. I only meant the people who just use it for 80-400 instant trophies after having completed it once.

Fair enough then :). I don't get that either so if that's the case, I have to agree with you on that one. 

c7NJRa2h.jpg

Nah, but seriously. I'm of the motto of 'Play what you like, be proud of what you get.' Though I will admit to buying a few games because they were cheap and had an easy trophy list...even if I did have a minor interest in 'em.

Edited by GameZombie44

I'm for quantity. Quality is important, and I have zero shame for any trophy I've ever earned. But trophies are like high scores on old arcade machines, and they're what keeps me in the game.

Sound Shapes was an excellent game. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Except for Beat School, or whatever that was, but even that was OK.

Well, then definitely play VNs while enjoying the story.

Don't bash VNs just because people use them as easy trophies.

I 100% agree. Many VN games are beautiful and very interesting (especially if you're into anime) I hope to play a bunch sometime but they are very expensive .. Sometime soon I will though

Definitely quality. I have plenty of games that I absolutely loved playing through and don't have the platinum or 100% for. In fact, I feel that in a lot of cases the redundancy or difficulty of pursuing a completed trophy list can affect how much fun I had with the game.

For instance, Dead Space: I loved playing through that game but it takes 2 1/2 playthroughs to get the platinum...one being on the hardest difficulty without the advantage of NG+ (which makes having it a bit pointless imo). There's just no way I'm doing that. In this specific case, the remaining trophies don't really add much fun to the game imo.

Edited by merciful84

I have to agree with many others in this chat, quality and quantity are such personal circumstances. If you enjoy the game as you play it, then the trophies are more an addition.

If you accomplish something difficult for yourself, let's say you're bad at QTEs and you pull off a "common" trophy for a certain QTE, you'll feel a lot more proud and accomplished about it, even if 80% of other people have done it.

For the record, I'm horrible at QTE's and Fighting games, when I get trophies in those genre of games I feel awesome xD

• Like 4