Let's Play SO4: Return of the Epic Quest

I was already planning on making SO4 my 200th platinum, but wasn't sure when I was exactly going to get started. Luckily, Dragon has come around with an amazing idea. Creating some amazing, epic, hype for this very long journey. 

Since I will try and make this my 200th. I will be playing other games in between. So a very long journey indeed, unless I decide to scrub out plats.

Good luck to everyone involved in this journey.

• Like 2

Any monsters count but I did everything else in the game and barely had 30,000 kills between all characters let alone having 30k kills for Edge and Arumat each dood.            

So is there a good tracking system in the game? Or is it one of those games that you have to kind of guess how far along you are?

Edited by Dr_Mayus

So is there a good tracking system in the game? Or is it one of those games that you have to kind of guess how far along you are?

Pretty much the latter, Almost nothing in this game is tracked including the items you create which is why it is HIGHLY advise you keep track of every item you make. There is one item you will create called the "Memory plate" that keeps track of some things like number of different items you created and how many monsters you have defeated total but aside from that you basically have to keep track of the stuff yourself dood :/

• Like 2

Pretty much the latter, Almost nothing in this game is tracked including the items you create which is why it is HIGHLY advise you keep track of every item you make. There is one item you will create called the "Memory plate" that keeps track of some things like number of different items you created and how many monsters you have defeated total but aside from that you basically have to keep track of the stuff yourself dood :/

Wow, that sucks. I don't get games that have stat trophies that don't bother to include the stats.

I think the dumbest I saw was in Borderlands. That game has side missions for EVERYTHING but the one random drop trophy they couldn't be bothered to put together a mission for it? So you had to keep track of all the things you picked up (that don't show up in your inventory mind you) and don't get any money or experience once you get them all.

Damn... I am not good with keeping track on my own, I guess this will be longer than expected. 

I am thinking I might try get this platinum this year as well as all my other trophy goals, I wonder if that will be possible?

Wow, that sucks. I don't get games that have stat trophies that don't bother to include the stats.

I think the dumbest I saw was in Borderlands. That game has side missions for EVERYTHING but the one random drop trophy they couldn't be bothered to put together a mission for it? So you had to keep track of all the things you picked up (that don't show up in your inventory mind you) and don't get any money or experience once you get them all.

Totally agree dood especially in games, like Star Ocean, where they make you do an insane number of something but no way to track it. I don't think a simple stat page is too much to ask for

Damn... I am not good with keeping track on my own, I guess this will be longer than expected. 

I am thinking I might try get this platinum this year as well as all my other trophy goals, I wonder if that will be possible?

It is possible but you will have to be really dedicated to Star Ocean this year though. I'm not that great at tracking stuff either but you definitely at least want to keep track of the items you make. There are 321 items that need to be made and you don't want to be in a position where you have no idea what items you have left to create as you get closer to the trophy dood

This game has been on my mind for Years, Star Ocean has haunted me for quite some time with the luck I've had

First time playing was on the 360 but gave up on the last bosses - Gave up Once

Second time I stepped up on the Ps3 got back to my Roots, but lost 70 hours due to a corrupt hard drive from hitting my power strip off on accident during a DL, this effected every single game - Gave up Twice

Third try I waited a couple years to step up again, but this time I printed all of the guides bought a strategy guide and marked off all weapons, treasure chest, ships, quest and items created to get has much stuff done on the 1st playthrough @ 378 hours,

including seeing all of the endings. - success third try

The last trophies I completed were the 100 bunny races

Now I'm debating on new game plus but all of my characters are at lvl 255 with 80% of all battle of trophies complete, it will be a long journey once again.

Add me in after I beat Darksouls and clean up more backlog.

Edited by nevetsteven2
  • Like 1

Awesome, welcome to the team :highfive:. Are you going to write your own introduction?

What is this character drop you're talking about?

Did you make the intros in the op page? I really enjoyed reading those :P

I'd like to leave that to you if its possible... I'm so bad with introductions  :unsure:

• Like 1

My game hadn't frozen ever since I turned off the battle voices (which means I was freeze free for about 300+ hours) I suggest doing that after beating the story or immediately. Let's face it, it does get annoying hearing Edge saying "I was just getting warmed up, bring it on!" after every fight.

• Like 2

I was already planning on making SO4 my 200th platinum, but wasn't sure when I was exactly going to get started. Luckily, Dragon has come around with an amazing idea. Creating some amazing, epic, hype for this very long journey. 

Since I will try and make this my 200th. I will be playing other games in between. So a very long journey indeed, unless I decide to scrub out plats.

Good luck to everyone involved in this journey.

Happy to help. I'm going to try and make SO4 #150 and if that isn't possible, I'll save it for #200.

NOOOOOOOOO, why? I'll add this to the OP too.

This game has been on my mind for Years, Star Ocean has haunted me for quite some time with the luck I've had

First time playing was on the 360 but gave up on the last bosses - Gave up Once

Second time I stepped up on the Ps3 got back to my Roots, but lost 70 hours due to a corrupt hard drive from hitting my power strip off on accident during a DL, this effected every single game - Gave up Twice

Third try I waited a couple years to step up again, but this time I printed all of the guides bought a strategy guide and marked off all weapons, treasure chest, ships, quest and items created to get has much stuff done on the 1st playthrough @ 378 hours,

including seeing all of the endings. - success third try

The last trophies I completed were the 100 bunny races

Now I'm debating on new game plus but all of my characters are at lvl 255 with 80% of all battle of trophies complete, it will be a long journey once again.

Looks like you had some really bad luck. Are you going to write your own introduction?

Did you make the intros in the op page? I really enjoyed reading those :P

I'd like to leave that to you if its possible... I'm so bad with introductions  :unsure:

Yep, thnx :D. Ok, I'll get on it.

My game hadn't frozen ever since I turned off the battle voices (which means I was freeze free for about 300+ hours) I suggest doing that after beating the story or immediately. Let's face it, it does get annoying hearing Edge saying "I was just getting warmed up, bring it on!" after every fight.

Ok, good tip, I'll add it to the OP.

You guys should start compiling all the useful resources for this game (and probably post it all in one place), as that is probably the best thing to do to make the plat as smooth as possible. If you're really efficient about it I've heard this is about a 350 hour plat. Don't underestimate the power of planning and preparation.

• Like 2

You guys should start compiling all the useful resources for this game (and probably post it all in one place), as that is probably the best thing to do to make the plat as smooth as possible. If you're really efficient about it I've heard this is about a 350 hour plat. Don't underestimate the power of planning and preparation.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I can start off and post the guide I used for the Battle Trophies. It offers helpful tips and the best places to attempt the BTs

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/939441-star-ocean-the-last-hope-international/faqs/57508

• Like 2

Wow! So much to read up on before we start.

There's definitely a lot of prep work for this game because a lot is missable. I'm kinda glad that all I have left to do is the Battle Trophies and difficulty related trophies, so I don't really have to worry about them anymore.

Booted up the game to look at my BT progress, and here it is! Also, I'm at 300 hours in the game.

• Edge- 74%
  • Reimi-84%
  • Faize- 7% (Will be doing his on my Universe playthrough)
  • Lymle- 60%
  • Bacchus- 79%
  • Meracle 95%
  • Serah- 64%
  • Myuria- 75%
  • Arumat- 92%
Edited by TheFinalEmblem

Then you should add this underneath it ^_^

Eh, why not.

Yeah I thought about that too and was searching for useful links.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I can start off and post the guide I used for the Battle Trophies. It offers helpful tips and the best places to attempt the BTs

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/939441-star-ocean-the-last-hope-international/faqs/57508

Nice, I'll add this to the OP

Wow! So much to read up on before we start.

I know, right. Just logged in and saw 44 notifications and 9 new PM posts.

There's definitely a lot of prep work for this game because a lot is missable. I'm kinda glad that all I have left to do is the Battle Trophies and difficulty related trophies, so I don't really have to worry about them anymore.

Booted up the game to look at my BT progress, and here it is! Also, I'm at 300 hours in the game.

• Edge- 74%
  • Reimi-84%
  • Lymle- 60%
  • Bacchus- 79%
  • Meracle 95%
  • Serah- 64%
  • Myuria- 75%
  • Arumat- 92%

How long do you think you need to plat the game?

• Edge- 74%
  • Reimi-84%
  • Lymle- 60%
  • Bacchus- 79%
  • Meracle 95%
  • Serah- 64%
  • Myuria- 75%
  • Arumat- 92%

300 hours?!

holyshitpe6.jpg

Who is that character in your sig? I can most likely use it for your introduction.

Who is that character in your sig? I can most likely use it for your introduction.

I think that's actually a character from Star Ocean 4. I just saw some gameplay vids of SO4, and I think that character matches the character in the vids. 

• Like 1

This is a pretty cool idea, I've owned this game for some time now. It's a shame though, I would have joined if my backlog wasn't so huge :(

Anyway I still forward to seeing everyone's progress, I'm curious to know who'll stick through this grind until the end xD

This is a pretty cool idea, I've owned this game for some time now. It's a shame though, I would have joined if my backlog wasn't so huge :(

Anyway I still forward to seeing everyone's progress, I'm curious to know who'll stick through this grind until the end xD

Oh I'm gonna make sure they all make it to the end, I have a nice little torture motivation center setup for those who try to back out before it is done :devil:

xD Nah but it will be interesting to see who all goes for the plat. I just hope this gets more people to try the game out since it is a great game. Hopefully this will get more fans of the series especially with Star Ocean 5 being announced not too long ago and helps lead to more Star Ocean games dood :)

• Like 3