Recommend a PS4 Game (New PS4 Owners Look Here)

Parker

If starting out and you love action/adventure platformer and third person shooter I can't recommend enough the Uncharted Nathan Drake collection. If you haven't played them at all on PS3 than there's no doubt in my mind that you should buy it. Either that or The Last of Us Remastered edition as well.

Bloodborne: I you like action rpg and want a real challenge...a REAL challenge, and like gothic environments, and strategize fighting enemies than here you go.

Metal Gear Solid V: It's metal gear. nuff said. A open sandbox stealth shooter.

Transistor: Awesome soundtrack, great gameplay. The best indie game I've played on PS4 so far.

Infamous Second Son and First Light: These are casual games that has great action/adventure super hero feel or you could go evil as well. This is good PS4 starter games. 

Assassin's Creed Syndicate: Reminds me of Assassin's Creed of old, very good.

The Order 1886: A great game, reminds me of Gears of War gameplay wise. Great shooter. I wish it was longer and more interactions with the secret enemy. Great rental.

Until Dawn: If you like decision type games and like horror games this game is fantastic. Like Heavy Rain on PS3 but it gives you more control over characters and a lot of decisions. Graphics superb.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my PS4 two days ago. Got Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Fallout 4. At the speed I get through games I'm set for the next few months! 

That being said my 4 year old daughter is extremely interested by what I'm doing. (Well try explaining Assassin's creed to a four year old...)

So I'd be interested in peoples recommendations on suitable PS4 games I could enjoy playing with my little one. I'm thinking Lego games are a win. Anything else I should look into?

• Like 2

Just got my PS4 two days ago. Got Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Fallout 4. At the speed I get through games I'm set for the next few months!

That being said my 4 year old daughter is extremely interested by what I'm doing. (Well try explaining Assassin's creed to a four year old...)

So I'd be interested in peoples recommendations on suitable PS4 games I could enjoy playing with my little one. I'm thinking Lego games are a win. Anything else I should look into?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2015/10/07/tearaway

The review above for Tearaway sounds like a fun interactive experience with family members. Not sure at what age kids these days learn how to play with tablets and phones, of course. :P But if she's old enough, she may enjoy the feeling of playing with you and changing your game environment.

Stuff like Rocket League could work, too.

I just got my PS4 yesterday, so I am by no means an expert (and have been scrolling this thread for hidden gems), but those two stood out to me.

Edited by SolarCat02

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2015/10/07/tearaway

The review above for Tearaway sounds like a fun interactive experience with family members. Not sure at what age kids these days learn how to play with tablets and phones, of course. :P But if she's old enough, she may enjoy the feeling of playing with you and changing your game environment.

Stuff like Rocket League could work, too.

I just got my PS4 yesterday, so I am by no means an expert (and have been scrolling this thread for hidden gems), but those two stood out to me.

Thanks for that. I hadn't given Tearaway much thought but reading that article makes it sound like something she'd really enjoy. 

Hope you enjoy your new PS4. If you have any love for the original Alien film then I'd thoroughly recommend Alien Isolation. Made me giddy with joy at every turn. Truly an amazing experience.  

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I hadn't given Tearaway much thought but reading that article makes it sound like something she'd really enjoy. 

Hope you enjoy your new PS4. If you have any love for the original Alien film then I'd thoroughly recommend Alien Isolation. Made me giddy with joy at every turn. Truly an amazing experience.  

I'm sure you & her would Love Peggle 2, Extremely fun game to watch and play, Pretty sure it has local multiplayer too.

Other games that you 2 could share are Guitar Hero, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare and maybe the Lara Croft co-op games, depending on their age.

If you still don't have a PS4 by the end of 2015, you either don't care or you can't get the money together. It's cool, money doesn't grow on fucking trees, believe me I know. With that in mind, I'm going to make my list of games be cheaper titles that are either 20 or under. (AUD, also I may be giving you the preowned price)

Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry.

I don't really dig AC, despite the fact I've ended up playing nearly all of them at one point or another, I think my biggest problem with them is they don't keep me entertained for too long, which explains why this one, and the PSP one are my favorites, because they don't go on for so long that I get lost / go free roaming and forget the main story / get bored, yet still offer a nice amount of free roaming and other shit to do. This game is currently 23 on the PSN, which I know, is over the 20 buck thing, however, I bought it for 9 over a year ago and it's almost always on sale for a similar price, so buy it on sale. This game is a small chunk of AC IV's map if I recall, in which you run around as this bloke Adewele (I forgot his name) freeing slaves and shit during the George Washington days, or something. Like I said, I don't pay attention in AC, I just like running around with swords and climbing buildings and saving people from dickholes and if you like that too, then this is for you.

Blacklight: Retribution.

This game costs a total of free, so there you go, go fucking download it now. While not as finely tuned as, say, Black Ops 3, this shooter that's been getting continuous updates on the PS4 since 2013, is a great pass time and can be played without paying a single cent for their microtransactions, games like this are okay with me. If you want to buy some special gun camo or something for a couple of bucks and support them, then that's cool too, because they earn it, by giving you a truly fun and completely competent online first person shooter experience, for free. Seriously, even without the sexy price tag, this is still one of the best shooters you can play online.

Disney Infinity 2.0.

Now, the base game and a couple of included figures will set you back about 20 bucks, but you can keep adding to that if you choose but that's not on me. Anyway, a few months or so after release every store was clearing this game for 20 or 30 and there's still plenty of stock in most stores near me. The starter pack will give you the Avengers mission, and the Iron Man, Thor, and I think Black Widow figures. So you can play the main Avengers campaign (probably a solid 5 hours or so) with them, then go free roam and do all the cool shit around the open world New York, and you can do it all in split screen 2 player (which is a selling point to me, as I fucking love couch co-op), and then when you're done you can go play in the Toy Box which lets you build your own levels and play other peoples ones, I don't touch that side of the game, but if you're into it, there's a tonne of crap on there. On top of that, which is all included with the initial 20 bucks, you can buy more figures and missions to play with, I bought the Spider-Man set (obviously, hell, it was the only reason I bought this game at all) and it was awesome, by far the best Spidey game since Edge of Time. This one should keep you and a friend busy for a solid week or two of just good clean fun. On top of that, the story (which I'll admit, I don't remember) is actually decently entertaining and the voice work is superb.

DriveClub.

Hands down the best racing game I've ever played, and it has a metric tonne of content in it. It took me nearly 6 days of it being my only game for me to finally plat it and I was racing (heh) for the plat. It's also one of only a few games where I've actually bought the DLC for it. The season pass for this game is usually 19.45 or something like that here, which is more than worth it when you consider how freaking many tracks are in that, but anyway. I bought this preowned back in June because I was pissed still that they didn't give out the Plus version by that point, and even back then it only cost me 16 bucks, which is ridiculously good value for this game. I often see it for 20 new in stores though, but for just over 15 bucks, this one won't break the bank, and if you're on a limited budget, DriveClub will keep you entertained for weeks to come, you know, assuming you like slightly arcade, slightly simulator, racing games.

Goat Simulator.

It's 13.45, and it's always on sale, also it's not really worth that much, so buy it on sale. Anyway, if you're one of those guys who enjoys dicking around in GTA and just doing stupid free roam shit in general, then this should be right up your alley. Admittedly, it's a bit small, offering only 2 levels to explore, but Goat Simulator is still cheaper than seeing a movie (Concession tickets at Hoyts are 18 bucks near me, so no, I'm not exaggerating), and it should keep you hooked for longer. You can easily plat it in a few hours with little to no effort, but it's all dependent on how much enjoyment you get out of it. I myself love making a goat do a quad backflip while flying a jetpack, it never gets old. Although really, buying the far cheaper version for your phone would do you just as well to be honest. I had it and only bought the game on PS4 because platinum.

Hotline Miami.

Okay, I can't tell you the price for this one because the PSN store just says free because I have it on cross buy and I can't be bothered logging out and back in so just trust me that it's around and hopefully under 20 bucks. This game is fucking nuts, and if you really get into it, takes a decent amount of time to platinum, I'm talking probably a good couple weeks of playing it every chance you get, which you can do (like I did) because it's cross buy so buy it now for your Vita (or PS3) and then pick up and continue your progress on your shiny new PS4 later. Just don't punch a hole in the door at school because Tom made you fail a really hard level that one time. Here look, I can't begin to explain this game so I'm just gonna hope you know what it is, and I'll just recommend it to you. Go look up a review if you don't. Also, I ended up signing out to see Minecraft's price, Hotline is 14.95 at the moment for it's normal price, which gets you all 3 versions. So 5 bucks each, not half fucking bad.

inFamous: First Light.

I'm hoping you know what to expect with inFamous because I can't be bothered explaining this series. In this one, you're this chick with super powers who loses someone and is on a quest for vengeance. That's the basic plot. It's a bit small story wise but then it is a budget title, and other than that it's the perfect title to get you used to the DualShock 4 with it's use of the touch pad and sixaxis sensors (not too frequent though, don't run away if you hate that kind of gimmicky crap either), while you play through it's engaging story. It's also probably the best inFamous story, but maybe that's because it doesn't go for too long and stays focused. Where Resogun can be replayed a crapload, this can't really, I mean, you can, and it does have those cool arena modes when you're done with the main story, but for the most part, you'll be done once you 100% this the first time. However, with it's 20 buck launch price tag, and the fact I've seen physical copies in stores go preowned for 14 bucks, it's still well worth the asking price, but if you can only get one game then maybe you'll want something that will last a bit longer, like, I don't know, DriveClub?

Kung Fury: Street Rage.

You will either love this, or be bored of it after 2 seconds. Kung Fury is a game (it's also a really fucking good movie that was published to YouTube so you can go be cheap over there and watch it for free) in which you press left to attack left and right to attack right. That's it. So you'll get bored quick, or you'll spend hours beating your own score like I did. It's 5.95 currently on the Aussie PSN store and I got it for half that when it came out so suck it. No plat here, but that's okay because there's not really too many odd tasks they could make you do with 2 buttons. Anyway, it's like if Street Fighter met Black Ops Zombies, enemies keep coming at you, but all you do is punch them away. Also it's one hit kills. Actually, download the phone version (it's free) first, and then if you like it, spend (waste) 6 bucks on the PS4 version that is identical but has trophies.

Minecraft. 

You know this game, so I won't talk about it. You also know whether or not it's worth it for you. I'll just tell you the price and say that while I don't understand a single thing in Minecraft, setting a mountain on fire with your Jesus lava is fucking fantastic. Anyways, it's $19.75 here for all the versions, but there's more to it than that. If you buy the PS3 version, you get the Vita version and vice versa. If you have either, which means you have both anyway, then you can upgrade to the PS4 version for I believe 5 dollars. Failing that, if you want to be really cheap, to upgrade to the PS4 version, all you need is a Minecraft save on your PS3 to be eligible for the upgrade. I had a save on their from a friend who owned it and played it on my PS3, and then I got the Vita version for free, which then enabled me to get the PS3 version for free, and then I paid a few bucks and got the PS4 version. My fucking girlfriend, though I believe it was through a glitch they had at the time, managed to get all 3 versions for free. So if you have a friend with the game, you might want to have them over some time.

Outlast.

$19.45 normal price here at the moment. In this game you're a reporter bloke who goes to an asylum for some reason and Paranormal Activity's his way into filming his adventures. Admittedly, most of the game is jump scares, but where they're pathetically predictable in most movies, here they work, and I can honestly say it's the only game to genuinely freak me out. Actually, there's PT, but Konami don't want me to talk about that.

Peggle 2.

On sale now for $11.21, normally 14.95, Peggle 2 is a game in which you shoot balls at other ball kind of things and hope for the best. It's a hard one to explain and I'm not really trying anyway. Here's what I will say, it's ridiculously fun, surprisingly challenging if you go for the plat, and there's a free version for your phone which you should try out before you buy this to see if you like it, they're essentially the same gameplay but with different levels. Though really, aside from the life system (which you can easily avoid by closing the game every time you die and reopening it), the phone version is the superior game, as it keeps getting new updates and levels and shit and doesn't cost a thing.

Resogun.

Admittedly, you could get the PS3 / Vita version and be just as satisfied for the most part, but it looks and runs that noticeable little bit better on it's home console of PS4. It's not the longest game, but in a time when tonnes of indie people are making classic inspired arcade style titles, this is a standout. It's also cross buy, with 2 trophy lists, so if you're on last gen, buy it now (normally around $20 AUD, often on sale though), play it and plat it (which is far from a chore), and then when you get your PS4, download that version and plat it again, but this time with all the cool create your own ship stuff (which is free). How long you'll stick with the game is entirely up to you, you can blast through the main game in an hour or two if you're any good, and be done with it, or you can keep coming back and try to be you / your friends' scores or go for the trophies. Either way, this game is just excellent fun, but if you don't think you'll get 20 bucks out of it then buy it on sale. I got it for free from Plus back when the PS4 dropped, then when the cross buy version came out I used the same old glitch I've used a bunch of times before to get myself all three versions for free. If you want more info on that quote this bit and I'll explain in a comment later but I cannot be arsed now.

Riptide GP 2.

$10.45. Riptide is a port of an Android game but it's a damn good port. The menus are clearly designed for touch screens but beyond that, you wouldn't know. Beautiful high resolution models and shit, it's all good. Anyway, this is kind of like a modern Hydro Thunder. You race jetskis and shit. The end. There's also a bunch of customization, a good chunk of levels, a tonne of unlockable tricks and shit, and up to 4 player split screen races. If that doesn't make you a little moist then nothing will.

Sound Shapes.

$19.45, frequently on sale, Sound Shapes is a platformer that's based around things and the sounds they make. It's boring for a long while, but then you beat the campaign and unlock death school or whatever they call it, which is a bunch of new levels that are hard as fucking balls. Basically, it's a platformer, with an interesting soundtrack, and it's in the 20 buck bubble, honestly, if Guacamelee was about a dollar cheaper and just snuck into the 20 window, it would knock this one the fuck out, but it is genuinely a game worth your time, despite what you've heard about the trophy lists. Speaking of which, it's cross buy with PS3 and Vita and PS4, buy one, get two free. All three have separate lists and separate plats, which if you're lazy, like me, you can cross save between for instaplats. Honestly, I played a bit on PS4, and then a bit on Vita, and just sent the save over to the PS3 because fuck it free plat. Do whatever you're comfortable with, and don't care what any snob on here might say about it (it comes up a lot). Also buy it on sale, 20 is probably more than this is worth, I love it, but it's a 10 buck game.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood.

A physical copy is 18 bucks preowned at EB right now, so it's in the bubble baby. You know what's weird about the 2 new Wolf games? I fucking love them both, but I've never bothered to finish either. Anyway, you're BJ macho-white-yankee-boy in Nazi Germany, but they won WWII and you were in a coma or something. Basically, you get to shoot Nazi robot dogs, it's balls to the wall great and for 18 bucks, this is a treat.

Here's a couple that are worth your time, but are a teeny bit over the 20 buck price range.

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition - $20.95.

Saints Row: Gat out of Hell - $24.95

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd suggest anyone that's new to PS4 should definitely splash and buy Until Dawn

Fantastic game that lived up to the huge hype I'd built for it after years of waiting

And it actually did the interactive movie experience ridiculously well, it was what I expected Heavy Rain and Beyond to be.

Also Hayden Panetierre makes anything an instant purchase

looking on the ps store now...

I was honestly unimpressed by Hollow Fragment, love the anime, watching it on Netflix. But the games a bit of a clusterfuck and the battle system really did not resonate with me

• 2 weeks later...

Metro Redux- 2 awesome games for the price of one but can be picked up for $20-$30 now, it is well worth your money.

Dying Light- This gets a bad rap by many but once you get into the game and invest in skills to do more abilities you will enjoy the game; it is a very fun game to trophy hunt in. I picked this up for $15

Edited by TristanTehGamer1

The best two games I have played this year to date

Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Brothers : Tales of two sons

Both are short ( probably not best value for $ ) but both really moved me, great story, amazing music. Definitely the only games I haven't forgotten so far this year

if you liked those 2 games! try Everybody's gone to the rapture!

The whole sjhabam is great! Good story, great visuals and even better soundtrack!

A experience I never had before!

• 2 weeks later...

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn

The game's getting it's first expansion soon enough and I'll just say this, it is huge, I have spent I dunno how many hours on it (I'm sure I'm nearing 2000 hours or at it), so yea, if you can afford the subscription fee it's well worth the go.  I recommend just waiting until HW is released and get the bundle version since that be the cheapest way to get the game.  Can also use Keyboard/Mouse so there is no real limitations to playing this on console rather than PC.

I'm not new to MMOs, having played Wizard101 and Maplestory. Do we have to pay a monthly fee for this because I can't afford a game which requires a monthly sub. Also, I had been badly burned by FFXI when I try to play it on my parents' computer, so I'm a bit wary.

I'm not new to MMOs, having played Wizard101 and Maplestory. Do we have to pay a monthly fee for this because I can't afford a game which requires a monthly sub. Also, I had been badly burned by FFXI when I try to play it on my parents' computer, so I'm a bit wary.

Yea, there is a monthly fee.

Okay, then I am not having it. Probably will do it if I get a job, because I have a monthly fee for GameFly already and my parents are very kind to give me that. I don't want to burn their trust by having another monthly fee tacked onto my bills. :(

If you haven't played Final Fantasy 10, you can pick it up the HD version on PS4. It's a brilliant RPG with TONS of content and a fabulous battle system.

BUT BE WARNED: If you want the platinum trophy, you'll have to do some brutal and time-consuming challenges. Lightning Dodger, anyone?

Also, played Rayman Origins, heard that Legends was just as bad because you have to keep doing the daily challenges to get some meter up to a certain point for a gold trophy. :unsure:

EDIT: Might as well contribute to the thread since I don't want to seem like a jerk...

LEGO Batman 3: If you hate LEGO games, this game will convert you. It was the first PS4 game I played and it was awesome. Let me just say this - before I played this game for PS4, I didn't care about LEGO games and I didn't care about the DC universe. This game changed me on both accounts. The voice acting is spot-on and while the races are brutal, they aren't as bad as LEGO MARVEL. If you loved Banjo-Kazooie, you'll love this game.

Ratchet and Clank Collection: A great series of games with a lot of humor. I didn't realize it was a Third Person shooter, all I cared about what that I was blowing things up. Now I see why people love Call of Duty and other FPS. :)

Edited by DetectiveCJ

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely get Until Dawn if you love horror films.

The Nathan Drake Collection and TLOU Remastered are pretty much obligatory if you haven't played them before. Same with Journey.

Bloodborne definitely deserves a mention.

Now for some non-exclusives:

You're probably aware Fallout 4 exists. Get it.

I'd also wholeheartedly recommend Assassin's Creed Unity, Metro Redux and Tomb Raider.

And if you love narrative-driven games like I do, you shouldn't miss Life Is Strange and you can technically never go wrong with Telltale.

Bloodborne.

If you're looking for that old-school feel in a modern title, Bloodborne's your game. The true succesor to the great Castlevania titles of the NES and SNES era, Bloodborne mixes a fantastic aesthetic with great 3rd person action against giant, dangerous Lovecraftian creatures. The game has its hiccups, but the good far outweighs the bad. Highly recommended.