Five Games I Think Are Better Than Grand Theft Auto V

Remilia Scarlet

I liked Saints Row: The Third and Sleeping Dogs but i don't think they are still better than GTA V and GTA V for me wasn't really nowhere near as fun as San Andreas. It just didn't feel that awesome to play V than it was to play classic masterpiece SA! Lots of good gaming memories from that game! :) Never didn't beat the story though! :( 

Your entire post is wrong. How are you going to say Grand Theft Auto V ( An actually great game ) is bad and then say Spider man is Better than Grand Theft Auto V? That's like me saying Skate 3 is a good game but Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is better because of the run mechanic. It doesn't work, you're saying five games that are completely unrelated in any way to Grand Theft Auto are better than it. How? How is a game about skating better than a game about Guns? Or a game about Football is better than Assassinations? It doesn't work out. Your argument holds no point nor value because of this. 

In your OPINION, Grand Theft Auto V is a bad game and you enjoy playing these five games rather than playing Grand Theft Auto, but to say " These five games are better than Grand Theft Auto " is ignorant. 

It's odd to see someone even say Grand Theft Auto V is a bad game, taking into account how many videos have been made on it, how many people play it, and how many people love it. But I suppose it's just like Call of Duty: Ghosts. A lot of people don't like the game, but I love it. 

Edited by xTheUndeadGamerx
  • Like 1

I am not a Grand Theft Auto fan. I enjoyed GTA: Vice City, and GTA IV to a certain extent, but I am not a fan of the series. So when I purchased GTA V I was thinking, what in God's name am I doing? I think I have a right to say that I believe GTA V is absolutely the worst entry in the series thus far, as I have played through over 16 hours of the story, have logged about 8 online, and spent several dozen exploring Los Santos. I can safely say that, looking back, it wasn't the absolute worst game I ever played, but it was pretty low on my list of bad games. Here are 5 games that I enjoyed much, much more than GTA V. 

Please keep in mind that this is my opinion, and while I respect yours and your right to play whatever you want, I absolutely will not tolerate hateful speech in the comments. Such comments and the user associated with the hate speech will be reported.

Saints Row: The Third

This was kind of an obvious choice, given my trophy count on the game. I have always preferred the Saints series over GTA, and The Third was just so much more enjoyable for me. Insane character customization, wacky physics, wanton destruction, and hilarious banter between the characters make SR3 a superior game. The missions were so much more fun and much more organized, and the ability to level up your character to fit your preferred play style was a welcome change from the static character progression and poorly structured mission design of GTA V. Oh, and co-op.

Sleeping Dogs

Sleeping Dogs, a story about the dark criminal underworld of Hong Kong, and one man's struggle to find where his loyalties lie: with the Sun On Yee, or his brothers in the police force. Sleeping Dogs tells a compelling story about loyalty, betrayal, twisted gang justice, and violence in the Chinese underworld. It messes with your head, and does something many games fail to do: it makes you care for the bad guys. At the end of it all, you no longer know who is right and who is wrong. It blurs the line. Sleeping Dogs is presented in the style of the Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan martial arts flicks of the 70s and 80s, and features a fighting system inspired by the Batman games. You can also use the environment to brutally kill your enemies, which leaves you feeling satisfied after a tough bout with a gang. Players can upgrade Wei to perform better in combat and unleash brutal kung fu attacks, change his outfit and tats, and gain health advantages. Again, a welcome change from the static progression of GTA V.

Borderlands 2

Borderlands 2 is all about Fucking Shit Up and Loot. The game is built around the concept of being as OP as you possibly can and collecting as much loot and guns as you can. While the game is enormously fun alone, it was meant to be played with friends, and the co-op is something else. There is nothing quite like taking down a monster the size of the statue of liberty with 4 other players wielding firecracker rocket launchers, an SMG that spews corrosive goo and a rifle that fires bolts of electricity. Accompanying the insanity is incredible voicework and hilarious dialogue, a deep customization tree, and hundreds of quests. Branching from that is an absolute monster of a challenge list that adds perks to your character for every challenge completed. Each region in the game has its own set of unique challenges, as do vehicles, several of the skills, weaponry, etc. It feels fleshed out, it's fun, and even earns you a trophy.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Didn't see this coming did you? The Amazing Spider-Man, though it is a film tie-in, is just fun to play. It has a story that continues after the film (don't worry, I won't spoil anything, but I will say that several boss battles are immensely fun), and your signature Spidey game play. Build up combos to pwn the bad guys, you can level up and upgrade Spider-Man, and even unlock various costumes for him to wear by collecting the hundreds of emblems scattered throughout New York. Also scattered around NYC are hundreds of comic book pages that unlock digital issues of the classic Spider-Man comics. It doesn't hurt that Beenox did a good job with the graphics. Like Spider-Man 3, the missions are separated by their own plots. The story missions are represented by their own logo, Oscorp by their own, etc. Aside from that, you can also rescue civilians from plague outbreaks, send escaped inmates to the police, ability trials, races, and stop crimes in progress. The amount to do here is honestly staggering for a game like this.

Skyrim

What's this? Skyrim shouldn't be on here because it's a fantasy game? Tough luck. Easily one of my favorite games of all time. Skyrim is the epitome of RPGs. Excellent skill customization, character customization, and questing make for a game that will captivate you for hundreds of hours. Skyrim expands on the already incredibly deep and detailed lore of The Elder Scrolls through near constant character interaction, the many hundreds of books in the world, scrolls, quests and environment. There are Daedric quests, Dwemer quests, even vampire and werewolf quests. You can build a home, become an assassin, tame a dragon, and uncover the dark secret behind a seemingly normal murder. Simple tasks quickly escalate into nationwide conflict that nobody knows about save a select few. The immersion is incredible, and all comes together in one of my personal picks for best games all time.

What is your opinion? I am open to hearing what everyone says. You don't have to agree, but if you do, please feel free to share your alternatives to GTA, or list a game you think we should try anyway. 

I agree with you although I never played Borderlands.

Then the thread is pointless.

And yet here you post . . .

Its an OPINION thread. You can argue it one way or another but the fact remains that you all are unlikely to change the opinion of the original poster, who was likely trying to see if others felt similarly. And predictably there are people on both sides(like/dislike).

Trying to prove your opinion is the one valid opinion is typically where opinion threads fall off. Share your opinion and hop off. There is no right answer here . . .

• Like 1

Its an OPINION thread. You can argue it one way or another but the fact remains that you all are unlikely to change the opinion of the original poster, who was likely trying to see if others felt similarly. And predictably there are people on both sides(like/dislike).

Trying to prove your opinion is the one valid opinion is typically where opinion threads fall off. Share your opinion and hop off. There is no right answer here . . .

I don't think anyone is trying to change his opinion. It's just that the thread doesn't really make much sense. It's called "Five games I think are better than GTAV", yet 3 of the games can't be compared to it at all. There would be an actual discussion about it if all 5 games were 'GTA clones' like Saint's Row, Sleeping Dogs, and others.

But right now, it's more of, "Here are 5 games I like, and I don't like GTAV so they are better than it". It would be like me making a thread called "5 games that are better than Mario Kart", then having Modnation Racers, LBP Karting, Call of Duty, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Dark Souls on the list. Only 2 can be compared, so only 2 can even be really discussed.

• Like 1

That's like saying Dark Souls is repetitive because its just dodge this, kill that, fight boss, light bone fire, taadah!

Its an awful simplification of the game.

I can tell you specific missions that were that simplistic.

When you're with all 3 characters and your in the helicopter, go out to sea, Trevor jumps in and latches the submarine thing to the helicopter, go back up, then you shoot a few other helicopters with the helicopter turret. THAT'S GARBAGE!

And also the 2nd heist where you are scaling down the building, I thought it'd be 30 minutes long and epic, but no. You scale down then a minute later your back on a helicopter using the turret. It's so boring.

If we're not willing to discuss each other's opinion then a forum is pointless, we might aswell just make blogs with comments disabled and call it a day. This threead doesn't invite discussion, its just games OP prefers with many of them being incomparable to GTA V, had he made the thread called five games I like it would have been basically no different. See the point?

I can tell you specific missions that were that simplistic.

When you're with all 3 characters and your in the helicopter, go out to sea, Trevor jumps in and latches the submarine thing to the helicopter, go back up, then you shoot a few other helicopters with the helicopter turret. THAT'S GARBAGE!

And also the 2nd heist where you are scaling down the building, I thought it'd be 30 minutes long and epic, but no. You scale down then a minute later your back on a helicopter using the turret. It's so boring.

The game is old now so I don't think you need to use spoiler tags but okay:

I honestly don't remember that mission. Is it the Merryweather Heist? in which case there is a much more bombastic approach to that one.

The heist where you steal the dude from the FIB building had it all man. You could be Trevor directing the helicopter and avoiding fire, Franklin laying cover or Michael engaging the helicopters.

GTA V is a shooter. If you expected not a lot of shooting, can you blame the game?

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD

I don't understand the GTA V hate. Whether you like it or not you have to admit that content wise its is way bigger and has way more to offer than a budget title like Saints Row does.

I have 116 hours put into it and I haven't even touched the single player, that's saying a lot.

Edited by Hailst0rm_2
  • Like 1

If we're not willing to discuss each other's opinion then a forum is pointless, we might aswell just make blogs with comments disabled and call it a day. This threead doesn't invite discussion, its just games OP prefers with many of them being incomparable to GTA V, had he made the thread called five games I like it would have been basically no different. See the point?

The game is old now so I don't think you need to use spoiler tags but okay:

I honestly don't remember that mission. Is it the Merryweather Heist? in which case there is a much more bombastic approach to that one.

The heist where you steal the dude from the FIB building had it all man. You could be Trevor directing the helicopter and avoiding fire, Franklin laying cover or Michael engaging the helicopters.

GTA V is a shooter. If you expected not a lot of shooting, can you blame the game?

No I don't see the point. On one hand you openly postulate this thread is "A waste of time" but then you continue to post more than the OP. So either you have no respect for your own time or you think your message serves a "higher purpose" as I describe in my previous point.

Do you see my point?

I just feel the need to post this image in this thread.

duty_calls.png

As for why the games are alright to compare with GTA5, Saint's Row and Sleeping Dogs are both clones that have different elements added. Some people like these elements better, some don't. Borderlands 2 and Skyrim are both Open World games like GTA5. Some people think that the open world elements of these games are better than GTA5, some don't. I can't see the similarities with Amazing Spiderman, so that one is a little out of place.

• Like 1

I have 116 hours put into it and I haven't even touched the single player, that's saying a lot.

It doesnt say anything, at least to me, because personally I give a shit about multiplayer and do it just because trophies.

And personally, GTA:Online is reeeally boring. When it would be something like the singleplayer, but in CoOp, well, that would be awesome.

But GTA:Online as it is now is just boooriiiing for me. When you guys are buying your games just because graphics and nonsense PvP, which nearly every AAA-games has needlessly anyway, then... yeah... its your decision, but I want a PLOT. I want something that is worth my money. I want to support their creativity. And, seriously, your comparision to SaintsRow sucks, because SaintsRow3 is the weirdest, craziest and funniest... most creative AA...A... ... westerngame I have had played in my whole life. And in this way, the "budget-game" is crushingly beating your "AAA-game". :P I mean GTA5 even tried to copy a bit of the weirdness - That mission where you (Michael) are on drugs - but.. meh, that was a bad try.

Whether you like it or not you have to admit that content wise its is way bigger and has way more to offer than a budget title like Saints Row does.

I thought gta5 the game was rubbish but the online was great , then i soon got tired of the senseless lobby killing and the game changed when i joined a non Rockstar created crew ( bpmr ) and they was a solid team death match crew ranked in the world top 50 for tdm

put your shooting skills to the test and fight for a crew and if you are any good the crew leader might give you a chance in a friendly crew vs crew battle to see how you perform and if you are a contender for the real crew vs crew battles !

i was hooked on tdm's for about 8 months wanting more crew vs crew battles all the time and not a trophy in sight , no other game has compelled me like gta5 !

quick look of what you can get in to

I agree on how gta v can be seen as a pretty bad game, but i quite liked it. And it has a lot of content so even though games that i enjoyed more like shadow of mordor are possibly better, it cant be denied gta 5 has hundreds of hours for people who do like that franchise. i have reached 40 hours on single player and 140 on multiplayer so i played it quite a bit when it first came out. 

there is one thing that really annoys me about the game though and that is the game load times, that has made the game unplayable for me recently

i havent played saints row or sleeping dogs so im just going to list 5 games i like better than gta 5

black ops

skyrim

Elder scrolls online (at the moment)

and 2 games which have much less replay value

uncharted 3 and shadow of mordor. amongst others

Well out of the games you listed only Skyrim can be compared to GTA V in my opinion. I just love the style of the GTA series so for me the other 4 games can't even be compared to GTA 4. And remember; you have every right to express your opinion and I have every right to hate it.

Edited by abcmdwtj

No I don't see the point. On one hand you openly postulate this thread is "A waste of time" but then you continue to post more than the OP. So either you have no respect for your own time or you think your message serves a "higher purpose" as I describe in my previous point.

Do you see my point?

I called it useless/pointless, not necessarily a waste of time. That doesn't really address my points, either.