Which game did you persevere with because "it was personal"?

Chell_Clare

Not too personal, but...

1. Sound Shapes: I had no idea what this game was about, but I knew it awarded 3 easy plats for the price (and time) of one. Little did I know it'd be literally about sound and shapes... Not sure why, but I pictured it being like The Impossible Game or something. This plat was more difficult than I could've imagined, despite only taking me ~10-15 hours, since it was heavily reliant on skill & luck. Since all of the hardcore trophy hunters did it, things were personal... I felt obligated to do it as well. It felt very rewarding to get the platinum(s) and I felt like more of a trophy hunter than ever before, similar to the event described below:

2. Sniper Elite v3: I got this game for $25 knowing nothing about it or what it looks like, other than the fact that PST.org rated it a 7/10 difficulty, and it was about sniping (which I enjoy). My cousin & I began trudging through it getting every single collectible on easy, boosting MP trophies, then we beat it again on Authentic difficulty. It took us many days, mainly because my cousin is autistic when it comes to stealth sections -- he's got zero patience and takes unnecessary risks far too often. Very arrogant.

This plat is important to me because it opened up a gateway of possibilities for future platinums... It's fitting that it's my 25th plat. I'd never really platted a 5/10 difficulty game before, let alone a 7/10 game; before, I would look at a game rated 7/10 and write it off, knowing I'd never achieve it. So getting this plat not only made me a more dedicated trophy hunter, but also made me confident that I could get any plat, regardless of the difficulty. 

Except Twisted Metal!   :P

It made me want to revisit older games I previously deemed too difficult/time consuming to plat, like inFAMOUS (shards) and BL2, to get their plats -- which I did. :)

Edited by GIONAScm2

My most proudest plat is probably Super Street Fighter 4 for the PS4. Not just because of the low plat rating or how hard it is, but just how bad i was at fighting games before I got really competitive with them. I got SF4 vanilla from a friend when i was in high school and hated it, and just gave it back cause the game was so damn hard. Fast forward a few years i start to play my first competitive fighting game called Killer Instinct for the xbox one (yes i am also an achievement hunter), and this was the first game where i could actually do combos, and was actually winning. The feeling was amazing. Later I decided that all the pros played street fighter and played on an arcade stick. So I got both street fighter and an arcade stick, and you know what... THE GAME WAS STILL FUCKING HARD! I thought getting an arcade stick would magically make me better, but no it was actually harder because i was learning a totally new controller ( the only other fighting game i played was 3rd strike on the dreamcast). Anyways i buy the ps3 version, didnt plat it. Bought the 360 version, didnt get even half of the achievements. So I slowed down and just started having fun with the game and going to local tournaments in my town. Needless to say, i got decent very quickly with learning new combos and tricks to make combos easier. Then the ps4 version came out, and I told myself that i would get a platinum in this game. After hours of sweating and almost breaking my arcade stick(by this time i had 3 for the other consoles), i finally beat it after all the headache... Multiple hours of just trying to do trials on top of learning each character. Well was it worth it? FUCK YES! Not only am I a rare individual to plat the game, but I got to meet amazing people that have the same passion for video games just like i do, except on a competitive level. This got me the plat, better in fighting games, and a better person. Still, after playing multiple fighting games now, 3rd strike will forever be my favorite. Long live the parry.

I'll have to say Dragonball Xenoverse and Demon Souls. Demon Souls was not extremely hard to beat, but it is certainly taxes your patience for the weapon upgrades, that was the big thing a friend of mine said that would stop me from the plat, I proved him wrong. Xenoverse is mostly just grinding PQ constantly for skills. Imagine my total shock when I realized I could buy the skills from the Shop and wound up getting the rest of the specials/ultimates I needed. I certainly wasn't amused that i wasted 40+ hours for nothing. The guy I made a bet with on the Xenoverse plat wouldn't let me hear the end of it.

Edited by dakk55

Resident Evil 6!

Oh my #%$&*@! GOD the stuff I went through to platinum this game!

Just to let everyone here know, I'm not the best gamer in the world, but I try. So when I saw the trophy list for RE6, I cringed.

But I had made a personal goal for myself that I wanted to beat some kind of Hard mode in a game and why I chose RE6, I have no idea.

There was a "cheat" where you could get the professional trophies just by playing the first area of each chapter so a lot of people told me to do it. I flat out refused!

Some of the bosses in that game made me want to chuck my controller out the window and into the pond behind my house! xD

All in all I'm glad I was able to do it because it's been the only game I've actually played hard mode on out of free will and not because I "had to".

Pretty proud of it......so it's definitely personal. ^.^

A couple games come to mind when going for their platinum trophies.

Vanquish (PS3)

Biggest rooster-teasing game in existence as far as I'm concerned. So easy to get 99% of the trophies, you think you're on your way to any easy plat and then you hit a brick wall when Challenge 6 approaches. As with many other gamers, it was the final trophy I needed for the platinum trophy and somehow, after nearly a week of trying, through strategy and lots of luck (and Sam's e-cigs), I beat it and even managed to record it. I'll upload the vid someday.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD (PS3)

Bad enough that I had to resort to abusing Vamp's stupid AI on Extreme Difficulty and pushing super hard on my controller's button to freeze spray Fat-ass Fatman's bombs and collect almost every dog tag in the game, requiring a couple hundred enemy holdups across every difficulty level, you then want to torture me with those ridiculous VR Missions?

Especially the ones where you tauntingly place 1 bullet in my assault rifle and force me to perform speedy holdups by mastering the game's flawed game mechanic which assigns aiming, for holdups and shooting to the same button, two actions separated by the SLIGHTEST button pressure sensitivity. That was a challenge in and of itself. 

Then, after making me beat the game several times while enforcing stealth gameplay because Alerts on Extreme = You Die when you only have access to only 3 or so rations in the entire game, you want to make me all of sudden go full Rambo in the VR segments requiring me to kill what seemed like 100 super fast ninjas and a giant genome soldier with a very limited supply of ammo? 

You bastards, I accept your VR Challenge.

Edited by AdventCloud7

Brink. Had too many times that I was going to say 'to hell with it'  and trade it in. But I kept going, playing those same @#$%^! missions over and over. One of the guys on my Friend's List laughed when he saw that I was playing it again. Finally I got the platinum and sent him a message that said "I GOT THAT MOTHERFUCKAAA!"

Then I traded the game in...for 25 cents....actually 50 cents cuz the girl behind the counter liked me.

Edited by The_Blackout_Kid

I never thought I'd Beat Zico but I pulled it off after two years because WipEout Fury was fucking awesome. That's the kinda trophy where I don't think I could do it again.

Deus Ex Human Revolution and Darksiders were games I didn't like very much, but nevertheless persevered - got SO sick of having them on my account at whatever percentages they were at that point in time and finally pushed through to seize both of them.  Same could be said of Bayonetta actually.  They really took a chunk outta me and made me question whether I should really keep up this hobby.

I love Vanquish, and one day I hope to see through Challenge 6