Which game did you persevere with because "it was personal"?

Chell_Clare

Borderlands 2: I hit a massive difficulty curve in the city of Opportunity and rage quit for so long. I didn't play the game for months but eventually decided that I was going to beat the game, and finally powered my way through the rest of the story - solo. I lost about $4M because I died so much but the end-game satisfaction was so worth it.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: I'm currently struggling with Veteran difficulty, but I will persevere to the end because I want the satisfaction of being able to say "Hey, I did this on the maximum difficulty. I'm a hardcore game and I earned the right to say that!" Also, a lot of my friends make fun of me because I usually don't play on the Hardened or Veteran difficulties, so it's kind of a personal gripe with them as well.

Skyrim: I'm currently at 91% of the trophies. This has been a huge grind for me ever since I got the game. I made the decision that this would be the first RPG that I reach 100% completion on. I have run into multiple bugs and game-breaking glitches throughout the time I have owned it, and even several trophy locking bugs, but I am determined to complete this game and have the pride of owning this spectacular platinum.

• Like 1

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. A friend said I was not skilled enough to beat it. I recorded my armstrong fight and sent him the clip with myself doing .l. in front of the camera while Senhor da Tempestade (Stormbringer in english) popped. Posted in on facebook and mark him on hit while asking "who couldn't do it again?" in portuguese. Needless to say, he unfriended me soon after but my friends mocked him for over a week until he deleted his account.

Since then, I had to ask Floriiss to make me a banner of shame to give me themotivation to platinum Vanquish and Killzone 2, two other games I was also challenged to do (in a nicer way this time, other people learned with the previous dude mistake). I remember even started a plat race with a few people here for Vanquish, but I won't mention names to not shame anyone.

Looooool good shit bruh 

Getting 100% on every call of duty game including DLC, people love to hate on cod but I really really enjoy it, I love the campaign, multiplayer, zombies, spec ops and extinction.

That been said there was so many annoying moments doing the Easter eggs in zombies, having to get a vita to play call of duty black ops declassified and getting the Intels.

11 Platinum's in total counting advanced warfare and ghosts twice for PS3 and PS4.

World at Wars veteran campaign was tough but not that much of a problem my 13 year old self managed it in a few days back in 2008 for my 1st ever platinum, every cods veteran after that has been a walk in the park in my opinion, ghosts and advanced warfare especially where so easy it was a joke

I kind of think of it as a 8 year trophy grind haha. Bring on advanced warfare's final DLC.

• Like 1

I'm going through this with Jak II Vita. I'm pretty sick of people telling me it's not that hard when they're remembering the PS2 or PS3 versions that really aren't that hard. Vita's camera angles suck, the controls lag, the back touchpad is annoying, I've found too many parts where the framerate kills you, the pace of the speeder bikes and such are totally different. I will finish it, just because I want to get to Jak 3 and complete the trilogy on the Vita, but I've already taken a 1+ year break. Now I just want to get it over with.

The same could be said about Vanquish, Mirror's Edge, WipEout HD, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. Yet all of those games have excellent guides. You still need a lot of skill to plat them, but having a guide helps.

I can imagine some troll making a guide for those games. Under each trophy, it just says "git gud."   :lol:

A guide like that would never be approved.

Someone in this thread will probably attempt it now that you've said that.  :devil:

IS THIS A CHALLENGE???

I always hated how competitive monopoly gets when you play it with family. It turns into a giant war. I still play it because I've always wanted to win, but it always ends up with the board being flipped by someone.

Exactly the same thing happens playing Trivial Pursuit. My brother gets questions like: Who is the president of the United States? While I get: Who was Louis the XIV's maid after he fired the first one? Can never EVER finish a game without any yelling.

OT: AC Brotherhood, a plat 3+ years in the making. Still haven't got 100% yet but I will soon :D

Edited by Intresseklubben

Contra

Hard as hell, and some friends told me I would never beat it, besides it was eye-hand coordination all the way through and that was hard to master.

Good times though.

Borderlands 2: I hit a massive difficulty curve in the city of Opportunity and rage quit for so long. I didn't play the game for months but eventually decided that I was going to beat the game, and finally powered my way through the rest of the story - solo. I lost about $4M because I died so much but the end-game satisfaction was so worth it.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: I'm currently struggling with Veteran difficulty, but I will persevere to the end because I want the satisfaction of being able to say "Hey, I did this on the maximum difficulty. I'm a hardcore game and I earned the right to say that!" Also, a lot of my friends make fun of me because I usually don't play on the Hardened or Veteran difficulties, so it's kind of a personal gripe with them as well.

Skyrim: I'm currently at 91% of the trophies. This has been a huge grind for me ever since I got the game. I made the decision that this would be the first RPG that I reach 100% completion on. I have run into multiple bugs and game-breaking glitches throughout the time I have owned it, and even several trophy locking bugs, but I am determined to complete this game and have the pride of owning this spectacular platinum.

Nicely done, every hardcore gamer needs to start somewhere :)

I'm quickly building a love/hate relationship with Guacamelee! STCE.  I was surprised that after beating the game on normal (took me near 15 hours  :facepalm: ) and starting the hard play through it was going so well UNTIL I got to PICO DE GALLO.  That is some of the hardest s#!t I've ever had to do.  

Still not done but I am not giving up and I am not getting angry  :devil: Sometimes that game is so cheap and it isn't fair (enemies can interrupt your attacks but not vice versa) but I will beat this thing.  Not so sure about the challenge rooms but I am getting through the campaign.

Edited by audiopile

Portal 2, I am not bad doing puzzles, but this game had my brain exploding. I had no intention to let the game defeat me, and after hours and hours - in probably the longest time a person has completed the game - I succeed. 

It was a fun ride, one of which I'm not proud.

TLOU Financial district Grounded difficulty. Need I say more? I haven't completed it yet, but I am not gonna give up! You are not gonna beat me game!

In the part where Ellie is aiding you with the rifle is one of the toughest part on Grounded, I remember that part lasting me more than an hour

The closest thing in mind I have from this has to be Final Fantasy XIII. Not only I tried finishing the game in one system but two different systems. (Xbox 360 and PC)

On Xbox 360 I was trying to get into it at first but the game itself didn't motivated me as much I wanted too in order to do it which in the end I felt like I only played like a quarter of the whole thing there. Years later I buy the PC version hoping to finally finish it, this time I got way more into it than when I played it on Xbox and even got way further like 30+ hours more. But then a trip interrupted me from playing, month later I come back from my trip and from then on I started to focus more on my PS4 games than anything else.

To this day I still haven't finished Final Fantasy XIII, I'm afraid to come back to my saved file now if I've forgotten something important from the game.

I even bought Final Fantasy XIII-2 and have not touched it at all, until I finish the first game. Someday.. someday..

Edited by CrazyMv94

For me, It has to be - The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.  Its quite a difficult plat, but it was riddled with bugs and glitches which prevented me from obtaining trophies for quite some time. This was after the patch was released to fix the last few unobtainable items, and the trophies needed for Real Platinum God.

But in My case I unlocked all the items properly, however the trophies simple woulden't unlock. I had to redo alot of requirements, and eventually my whole savefile bugged out. 200 hours down the drain - just like that. Had already done The Lost completely on hard (for those who do not know about this game, ''The Lost'' is a secret character you unlock), which has no health. So, 1 hit and your run is over.  All the items you get in this game are pure RNG, so you could be unlucky and have a -240 death streak before you get a good run. You have to beat the entire game twice + boss rush (all the bosses in the entire game in 1 room at once) which was quite the feat. I know there are harder plats out there, but I wasn't going to give up on this one. My most satisfying platinum so far, besides Mirrors  Edge. 

Next on the list would be Catherine - That's gonna suck... Quite a bit. And currently going though Mugen Souls aswell, which shoulden't be that easy either lol

For me the most frustrating and nearly at the point of giving up in pure disgust was the 'it's in the trial' trophy for the dante's inferno dlc. Me and my faithful cuzzy dedicated around 20 hours for this ridiculous bronze trophy. The difficulty spike jumped up from the rest of the entire game, but with plenty of perseverance we managed to get it.

Another nightmare trophy was the 'I will survive' trophy from cabelas dangerous hunts 2011. Trying to survive 7 minutes in a repetitive and increasing difficult shooting gallery memorizing where the spawn points where with a dual shock was infuriating. Upon entering the 6 minute mark the hands would be shaking and sweating with the adrenaline pumping, and with a few sub 7 minute times my vocabulary was abhorrent much to the wife's disgust lol.

Other annoying / frustrating trophies include the gran turismo 5 plat, prototype plat, shift 2 king of the hill trophy, gta 4 awp trophy.

Good effort to everyone here for their efforts on these difficult trophies. They may just be little digital icons on our tvs but the personal satisfaction they give is well just... satisfying ☺

• Like 1

During my early PS2 days Spider-man 2 and The Lord of the Rings: Return of the king were the games that gave me so much difficulty in beat them that I quit for a while but then for two days I manage to get through the levels that were hard for me to beat and after that it was smooth sailing. I love those games, I miss having Spider-man 2 in my collection though.

IMG_5792_zpsr9vytmpw.jpg

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 1

Surgeon Simulator-The Controls for this game requires a steady hand. I couldn't even do some of the operations, the time trial trophies were a pain to get as organs and tools just fly everywhere. However I wanted this plat in my collection and somehow I got the plat.

Don't Starve-Completing adventure mode was very hard as I never played a survival game like this. Everything can kill you from pigs, spiders, walarus, shadows,hunger and the cold. However after looking at a few guides I finally finished adventure mode.

Injustice God Among Us Ultimate Edition

Well what can I say about this constant grinding to lvl 100, it took four hours to just go up 1 level. Star Labs some of I could not do to save my life especially the button bashing ones so the 3 stars took ages, Feel the burn took a while because I couldn't do a certain characters meter burn, playing 200 matches and winning 100 matches online wasn't too bad but I hate any multiplayer trophy so it felt like forever and battle mode, they live up to there name and fight like gods.

This was a platinum that I thought was out of reach and I'd never get but after commitment, practice and endless tutorials, the nightmare is over. The game is one of my hardest platinums that I have done to date taking 1year7months and I would recomend this title to anyone who likes fighting games as the story mode, characters and levels were well designed just keep in mind that for the plat the odds are against you and its not called the ultimate edition for no reason it will live up to its name :)

• Like 1

The first mass effect. Burned through about 5 playthroughs attempting liara's ally achievement on xbox because she was my RI, she was the only achievement I really wanted at the time because of that, plus I played games for fun and entertainment not GS. I absolutely abhor it when games required me to sit at the pc staring at a walkthrough every 15 minutes. One attempt I did it with Kaiden and Ashley just to see how many outside the beginning I was going to need to find that I missed. (All this before I bought the Pinnacle Station dlc).

Anyways, managed it on my first liara attempt on ps. Just have to suffer through an insanity speed run now. Garrus, Wrex and misc won't be too much of a hassle. That will be my prized platinum.

2) DA:I on ps3 because it killed my first ps3, literally as if it had a heart that just stopped :( . And this preowned one I got makes noises after awhile now too, didn't notice on my digi ME game. Gonna have to keep an eye on this....maybe give a rest for a month after I plat this.... :blink: . 

Sound Shapes.

Those death modes - need I say more? In addition to attempting to invent wrist straps Wii-style for almost-thrown controllers I came up with a new word - "Map-jumping". This happens when the next randomly placed note you need to collect is on the left of the screen - and you are on the right. It will take at least 5 seconds to maneuver to that note....And then the next note after that is back on the right side of the screen. It wastes WAY too much of the short timelimit, not to mention exposing you to the map hazards in transit.

I only made it through that platinum because I knew at the end there were 3 plats waiting (At the time didnt know of the different PS4 regions, so it's actually 6 plats now), otherwise I wouldn't have even finished the first plat.

• 4 months later...