Which game did you persevere with because "it was personal"?

Chell_Clare

I think everyone has at least one game that constitutes a 'personal' challenge, where beating it becomes more important than it normally would, either because you had to overcome lots of glitches to finish it, or because someone said you'd never do it, or because the platinum is notoriously difficult.

For me, it was Assassin's Creed Revelations. About 80% of the way through, I hit a game-ending glitch and couldn't get past the loading screen to re-enter play. I figured that even if I restarted the game, I could still hit the same issue. It niggled at me for months, until I decided I wouldn't be defeated and I'd take the risk with a second play-through. I eventually completed the game, but it put me off AC for a while!

Oh man where do I start.

I have told the story of NES X-men on several threads already so I am not going to repeat that one.

Read my rants on Borderlands, Fairy Tale Fights and Tony Hawk RIDE to see my reasons for those picks

But the 2 GOOD games that I stuck through despite never thinking I would finish them are Mortal Kombat 9 and 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. A friend said I was not skilled enough to beat it. I recorded my armstrong fight and sent him the clip with myself doing .l. in front of the camera while Senhor da Tempestade (Stormbringer in english) popped. Posted in on facebook and mark him on hit while asking "who couldn't do it again?" in portuguese. Needless to say, he unfriended me soon after but my friends mocked him for over a week until he deleted his account.

Since then, I had to ask Floriiss to make me a banner of shame to give me themotivation to platinum Vanquish and Killzone 2, two other games I was also challenged to do (in a nicer way this time, other people learned with the previous dude mistake). I remember even started a plat race with a few people here for Vanquish, but I won't mention names to not shame anyone.

• Like 2

I would say Persona 4 Golden but i never really finished it but this is the game which popped up round about all six month in my mind to finally complete it and then i fail again .... and again .... and again :facepalm:

Edited by BDRick35

Atelier Ayesha, people called me a weeboo and said I was playing a girly game, but I showed them I could get the platinum in a game centred around picking flowers and you now what I enjoyed it

:D

How is a game with cute girls doing cute alchemy thing a girly game? o.O

Like... seriously :D How can a game directed at male audience be girly? =D

I basically do this with all my games. I hate not having 100%, so unless it demands godly skills and months of training (*cough* Devil May Cry 4 *cough*) I always persevere through to the end, no matter how grindy/hard/glitchy some trophies might be. But these were the ones that really pushed my buttons:

Catherine: Need I say more?

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - The online trophies for this game managed to hit the big trifecta: they were grindy, hellish and glitchy all at the same time. Not to mention the fact that they're online, which is always an added difficulty factor.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse - This game is so grindy, I still have to figure out how in the bloody hell I managed to have the patience to get every single drop.

• Like 1

Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition

When I started playing it I thought that I will easily get the plat as I was progressing very quickly, that is until I had done everything besides reaching level 100 and completing battle mode. Only 2 battles were left, Impossible and The Max. I had basically given up on the game after about a month of trying and failing, then my bro said something like '' We're playing games and 100% them and now you give up on them? '' and mocked me several more times, however last month I got enough of that mocking and decided to shut him up for good. I knew that I was basically trying to do the impossible thing (well, almost impossible) however in the end I did it, and once my bro found out, his mind was blown and he even congratulated me (something that is very rare from him). 

• Like 4

That doesn't seem very fair, for your part xD

I got a shiny, ultra rare plat. He made that bet to motivate me, because at the time I was about to give up on it. When he played Dragon's Dogma, he used my pawn and I got a special currency for that, which I could use in DD to upgrade stuff.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

The closest game to that would be Star Ocean The Last Hope International.  Even though I haven't got the platinum on it yet, I have vowed to myself that one day I would get the platinum for it, despite how mind numbingly grindy some of those trophies are.

Persona 4 ARENA.  I was challenged to do it and many said i was "never" going to do it.  When i did it...yeah lol imagine :P but im not the cocky type so i simply said to those if they wanted my help and use me as guide but they all refused lol 

• Like 1

Persona 4 ARENA.  I was challenged to do it and many said i was "never" going to do it.  When i did it...yeah lol imagine :P but im not the cocky type so i simply said to those if they wanted my help and use me as guide but they all refused lol 

Is this a joke

Edited by Aela