Getting collectables do you use guide?

Hocking_1988

Hey, as the title says, I am trying to build up my trophy score but the one thing that puts me off are collectables. I know most games have them, but my question is do you use a guide or youtube video to help find them? Also if you do, do you do them on a separate play through. I really want to get more trophies on the last of us for example but feel that playing it and constantly switching to my phone to see where something is would ruin the experience a little.

Do most games allow you to go back via chapter select and get the ones you have missed? 

Im just curious to see how people go about getting those collectables and any strategies. Thanks in advance

Speedrun secodary playthrough whenever chapter select isn't an option. If a secondary playthrough isn't possible either (you don't have all resources to open the doors on survivor @ TLOU), I use a written guide for the first, so I don't watch any scenes before they happen.

Collectibles are stupid and a total waist of time. It would take so much time finding them all that it would make the game boring, though some games are better than others at handling this. When possible, I normal play through the game without going out of my way to find them, and then later on use an online guide to get them.

Nowadays, yes. I can't be bothered to go back and get all the collectibles again in another playthrough.. unless I missed one and the game has no chapter select.  :rolleyes: I do manage to find some without a guide when I'm going through some areas.

Edited by Anceril Sacred

Depends on the game. Some have a good in-game system for finding collectibles, some don't. If you can track collectibles in game, and discern their location via some in-game mechanic, e.g. Batman: Arkham City then I don't think an online guide is essential. 

If you can't, e.g. The Last of Us, then an online guide is essential.

I really like collectibles but hate spending time searching for stuff in places where it might not even be, so I always use a guide. I find it's pretty fun getting to find all that stuff without wasting any time. Though If the game itself allows you to easily find the collectibles, then I just use the game.

• Like 2

Yes absolutely. Usually on a first playthrough too. I'm not a huge fan of them although some games handle them well and they add to the lore. But usually its just something i get for a trophy.

The exception atm is Isolation as I'm doing a run through on novice first and will go back later for a hard playthrough and chapter select the collectables. Mainl because I find that game difficult to play for long periods since I spend a lot of it hiding lol

The only trophy I dislike more is online grinds tbh

Just use a guide for collectibles, collectibles are the dumbest trophies out there. I don't mind collecting all weapons for example, but trophies where you collect useless items that don't even benefit the game and are in spots you'll never in a 100 years figure out without a guide, make me rage

I'll usually scan a guide to see what the deal is with regards to the following

• are there missables? 
  • If I miss a collectible, how many hours replay would i need?
  • is there chapter select to go back and clean up?
  • How insane are the collectibles to find (looking at you GTA pigeons)

It's a matter of practicality really.

• Like 1

I use them for RPGs or games like Assassin's Creed II (I still have nightmares about those damn feathers). In games like Uncharted I search for them myself and only use a guide during the final playthrough for the ones I'm missing.

For some reason I loved collecting the feathers in ACII, yes I'm weird.

OT: If it's open world then I'll just collect them whenever, If you have to chapter select or replay the story then I'll use a guide, One that doesn't spoil the game though.

I enjoy looking for collectibles most of the time so I don't use guides often. I try to look for everything I can in a first playthrough and then use a guide if I have to do a full playthrough again and there's no chapter select. Although I will use a guide for most collectibles If it's a game I didn't like that much and/or it has a ridiculous amount of collectibles.

It depends. If there's Chapter Select, then the first few times I would try on my own (Uncharted: Golden Abyss). On the other hand, if I don't want to spend forever looking for collectibles in another play through, and it depends on what other trophies I need to look out for (Star Ocean The Last Hope International).

Like Willstown above said, I usually check a guide before starting a game to see if there are any miss-able collectibles.

I would hope that any game worth playing is worth playing twice and that doing a second play though for someone who wants to improve their trophy score realizes it's the price of admission.

Speedrun secodary playthrough whenever chapter select isn't an option. If a secondary playthrough isn't possible either (you don't have all resources to open the doors on survivor @ TLOU), I use a written guide for the first, so I don't watch any scenes before they happen.

I really like collectibles but hate spending time searching for stuff in places where it might not even be, so I always use a guide. I find it's pretty fun getting to find all that stuff without wasting any time. Though If the game itself allows you to easily find the collectibles, then I just use the game.

Pretty much this. I used to get collectibles without a guide most of the time until I knew L.A Noire. Nowadays, I always use a guide to get them as so far, in most or at least half the games with collectibles I've played, they are completely useless besides the requirement for the trophy/achievement.

As for your question:

Do most games allow you to go back via chapter select and get the ones you have missed?

It depends on the genre. For example, some RPGs are unforgiving with missables but FPS tend to have chapter select option. You'll usually see an explanation of the game stating "divided by x amount of chaps/missions/etc." so there's a chance for it having CS option, if not, then keep checking which modes the game contains.

Edit: Btw, one way or another, check a trophy guide. I once encountered a game that even with Chapter Select option, the guide told me the collectibles trophy could only be obtained by getting them all in one go. Don't remember the name though.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

I will always play through the story first and not worry about collectables. I find it better to just enjoy the story without worrying about other things. I then usually do a collectable walk through with my wife reading a guide and directing me. She really enjoys this, especially Lego games or games like Uncharted. I have to try not to shout though if she takes me through a checkpoint and then says like " hold on a minute, I think we missed one "...Arrgghhhh

• Like 3

I check a guide first for any glitched trophies and miss-able trophies. I then read about the collectibles. I loved collectibles until I started going for trophy collecting and ultimately the platinum. I instantly developed a hate relationship with them when I started my trophy hunting( pigeons, feathers, and precursor orbs). I still have an obsessive mentality to try to find  them all by myself, but limit this to my first playthrough, make my tally to see what percentage I found then grab a guide to clean up. It takes me much longer to do it this way, and backpedaling is part of the process, but I satiate my own needs by following this pattern. Ultimately, you need to do what's right and works for you. Good luck finding your balance.