Retail must have's of this generation thus far...

PleaseHoldOn

Basically, I have a long weekend, I want to pick up a game.  I don't care if it's full price/$60, but obviously looking for something I'd be interested in... and it needs to be something that can be physically purchased in a store like Gamestop.

So... I got the idea to start this thread.  Ignore what I just said, ignore my profile.  In your opinions, what are currently the retail (physical release) must have's of this current generation thus far.  Doesn't have to be a PS4 exclusive, can be multiplatform, but it does have to be something that can be bought for the PS4.

(I'm going to take your lists and see what games pop up that I don't have, and decide from there. ;))

The Witcher 3

Batman: Arkham Knight

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Grand Theft Auto V

Destiny

InFamous: Second Son

Trials Fusion

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes 

Rayman Legends

Project CARS

Battlefield 4

All those games are a blast, in my opinion. 

Parker

• Like 1

Destiny

I actually found myself oddly interested in this recently, which surprises me because I don't really like first person shooters.  However the idea of a FPS MMO with a focus on coop (is that a correct analysis of the game? lol) intrigues me... the only issue being that I know virtually no one with a PS4, and even less that would play this with me.  Is the game really only fun with a group of friends, or is the experience alone/with strangers in any way rewarding?

I actually found myself oddly interested in this recently, which surprises me because I don't really like first person shooters.  However the idea of a FPS MMO with a focus on coop (is that a correct analysis of the game? lol) intrigues me... the only issue being that I know virtually no one with a PS4, and even less that would play this with me.  Is the game really only fun with a group of friends, or is the experience alone/with strangers in any way rewarding?

You might as well wait for the re-release of Destiny, (Destiny: The Taken King) which includes the main game and all the expansions thus far including the upcoming one.

• Like 3

PS4 has still no games. Except titles "everyone" is playing anyway, "casual AAA" how I learned yesterday, like something from Ubisoft. 

Nothing special yet like Uncharted4 or TLOU-RemasteredRemastered. Whatever you do, be sure to play every NaughtyDog game, even when you dont like the setting/genre of eg TLOU, or people will pop up and tell you that you are a dumb and stuff because ND is the superbestest company in the world. ... Totally mean :(

PS4 and Vita are both current generation so I'll list games from both and limit it to games that have had a physical release

Omega Quintet

Nep Re;Birth 1-3

Neps V-II

Action Neps

TsuNepe

NePP

Project Diva f and F 2nd

Final Fantasy Type 0 HD

Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD

Gravity Rush 

• Like 3

Destiny certainly shines when you're playing with others, whether real life or PSNP, but it can still be fun if you're playing solo and teaming up with randoms. 

Also, add The Last of Us: Remastered to my list.  B)

Parker

Dragon Age: Inquisition. My favourite ps4 game so far. Beautiful scenery, interesting story, good combat system, just how an RPG should be. 

If you want a good mp game, convince your friends to get PVZ: Garden Warfare, you'll have more fun with it than Destiny. 

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 2

PS4 and Vita are both current generation so I'll list games from both and limit it to games that have had a physical release

You're welcome to do that, though I will say my intention for the topic was really to focus on the PS4.  Hence why I posted it in the Playstation 4 subforum.

If you want a good mp game, convince your friends to get PVZ: Garden Warfare, you'll have more fun with it than Destiny. 

I think I need to find more people with PS4's before I worry too much about multiplayer. xD  Appreciate the suggestion though!

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Dragon Age: Inquisition. My favourite ps4 game so far. Beautiful scenery, interesting story, good combat system, just how an RPG should be. 

I completely forgot that was a retail game since I got it for free from the PlayStation Experience event or I would've definitely added it to my list as well. Garden Warfare is definitely a very fun game as well, I play it with my son quite often and we both love it. I'd say Garden Warfare is more fun than Destiny if you have no one to team up with, but if you've got a few buddies then Destiny is the game I'd choose to play. 

Parker

The Witcher 3

Batman: Arkham Knight

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Grand Theft Auto V

Destiny

InFamous: Second Son

Trials Fusion

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes 

Rayman Legends

Project CARS

Battlefield 4

All those games are a blast, in my opinion. 

Parker

Basically nailed it on the head right here. Just add Bloodborne to the list

Since no one else has said it, I gotta throw Lego Marvel in there. Sure it's on PS3 gen as well, but the PS4 version (which is identical) should be in everyone's library.

It's got a tonne of replay value, a decent length main campaign, all sorts of collectibles and whatnot, around 150 (if I remember correctly) different Marvel characters to play as, it has drop in drop out local co-op, the graphics are surprisingly pretty, and it's the best Spider-Man game since the god damned Tobey Maguire days. Well, technically, I'd honestly say Disney Infinity 2 gives it a run for it's money on the Spidey front, but anyway.

Lego Marvel is genuinely one of the most fun games I've ever played, it rivals Lego Star Wars for the best Lego game (Indy, obviously, being third), and it's usually available on the cheap, I bought the Wii U version the other day for 23 bucks for the gamepad co-op and that was new, I think the PS4 is maybe like 5 bucks more. 

It's not the best game, but it's the best game it could have possibly been. The Avengers movie wasn't the best movie, but it was about as good as a movie that brought together so many franchises could have been, in that respect, this game recreates The Avengers perfectly, it takes a whole bunch of existing shit, and blends it all together perfectly. 

While the 2014 movie was a lot of people's first experience with the Guardians, my first experience came from this game in a mission wherein a walking tree yelled "I am Groot!" at me and we fought a bunch of people for I am Groot related reasons. Good times.

Anyway, if you do get the game, DON'T get the PS3 version unless it's like way cheaper. Remember when I said they're identical? Well they pretty much are, graphics are toned down a little bit but it's the exact same game...except the loading is god awful. On PS4, swap between any of your 150+ characters in an instant, on PS3, wait about 3 or 4 seconds for each character you change into. It doesn't sound like much, but trust me, unless you play through most of your time as one or two characters, it gets a bit annoying after a while.

Oh, and since this is a trophy site, the plat is both fun and doable. It's got a whole bunch of stuff that you'll need to do, but it never quite gets to the point of being a grind, it's not really challenging in anyway, but it's always fun, one of the better plats in my list if I do say so myself.

• Like 1

Samurai Warriors 4

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster

Final Fantasy Type-0

Mortal Kombat X

Bloodborne

The Elder Scrolls Online

The Last of Us Remastered

The Evil Within

DriveClub

The Wolf Among Us