National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Just now, skidmarkgn said:

He shouldn't have to bow to any pressure, Gronk should just plain be suspended because that was a SUPER DIRTY hit.  Imagine that was a Bills player doing that to Brady, you think their would have been any hesitation to eject, fine, and suspend said player?  Not a chance in hell.

And seriously, that "apology".  Nothing but blame deflection and excuses as to why he chose to spear himself at a downed players head long after a play was over.  One of the most hollow apologies I've ever seen.

I agree completely. I'm just saying that Goodell will impose the suspension, but only when the volume rises more. It's the right move, without question. But Goodell doesn't do anything because "it's the right move". He does it because people yell about it.

His apology was shameful.

Gotta say, I'm so glad last night was a nationally televised game as well.  Bobby Wagner has been one of the most underappreciated players in the NFL over the last couple/few years and last night EVERYONE got to see how amazing that guy is.  I honestly believe he's the defensive MVP of the team and maybe the entire league.  He's a tackling machine who doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he doesn't play in a system that allows him to get a lot of the "sexy" numbers (aka sacks and picks).  If Seattle got both Sherm and Kam back but it meant Wagner was gone for the season, I personally think they'd be worse off.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

Though I would've a couple weeks ago, my guess was benching Eli Manning when the team's struggles weren't really his fault was the last straw.

The benching itself wasn't the issue -- Ownership and Management were on board with the idea before it ever got off the ground.  It's how Ben McAdoo (and by extension Jerry Reese) mis-handled said benching that turned out to be the final straw.

And honestly, I'm still surprised.  If anyone recalls the numerous times I've mentioned it in this thread, this -- a midseason firing -- is very much out-of-character for the Giants.  I suspect this wouldn't have been done in Wellington Mara's day, at least not unless Ben McAdoo got arrested for molesting a busload of schoolchildren or something like that.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, acasser said:

The benching itself wasn't the issue -- Ownership and Management were on board with the idea before it ever got off the ground.  It's how Ben McAdoo (and by extension Jerry Reese) mis-handled said benching that turned out to be the final straw.

And honestly, I'm still surprised.  If anyone recalls the numerous times I've mentioned it in this thread, this -- a midseason firing -- is very much out-of-character for the Giants.  I suspect this wouldn't have been done in Wellington Mara's day, at least not unless Ben McAdoo got arrested for molesting a busload of schoolchildren or something like that.

Well, the owners realized there was no reason to delay the inevitable any longer.

I remember my first marriage was at an end when I stopped caring when my wife was yelling at me. Not caring, to her, was worse than getting mad at her.

The owners could stand the criticism, the booing........but not the apathy of Giants fans. The Giants have three home games left, and ownership did not want a nearly empty stadium for each one. They had to show the fans that there is a future for the team by firing the incompetent fools and moving on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acasser said:

I agree with you. The Mara's are part of the old NFL artistocrat families so they tend to run their operations conservatively and avoid knee-jerk reactions. But when apathy hits a New York sports team, that's the final straw. McAdoo and Reese to F*ed up so badly that they made a fervent fan base not care. 

11 minutes ago, Jigglypuff said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000888327/article/steelers-lb-ryan-shazier-suffers-spinal-contusion

It was kind of scary to see him not able to move his legs. Hopefully it's just temporary. :(

Yeah that was, I hope he’s ok, as I hope Ju JU Smith Schuster is suspenses for his hit on Burfict, even taunting him whilst he was hurt on the ground was really disgraceful 

6 hours ago, Pokey said:

Yeah that was, I hope he’s ok, as I hope Ju JU Smith Schuster is suspenses for his hit on Burfict, even taunting him whilst he was hurt on the ground was really disgraceful 

I've said this before and I guess I'll say it again here:  It would be damn nice if the players would step up and do some of their own policing and agitating for player safety in light of these sorts of hits.  That is, if they really give a damn about things like player safety and don't simply whine about it to their friendly, neighborhood reporter because it gets them column inches and Twitter re-tweets.

Yes, the League has a fair share of blame over this kind of issue, but the players are the ones actually going after one another WWE style.  And then appealing the suspensions when they (not often enough) come down from the League Office without a peep from other players about how maybe they shouldn't do that shit.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 10:28 PM, skidmarkgn said:

Gotta say, I'm so glad last night was a nationally televised game as well.  Bobby Wagner has been one of the most underappreciated players in the NFL over the last couple/few years and last night EVERYONE got to see how amazing that guy is.  I honestly believe he's the defensive MVP of the team and maybe the entire league.  He's a tackling machine who doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he doesn't play in a system that allows him to get a lot of the "sexy" numbers (aka sacks and picks).  If Seattle got both Sherm and Kam back but it meant Wagner was gone for the season, I personally think they'd be worse off.

Bobby has been a pillar from even before his first career game.

8 hours ago, Gumby said:

I found his words confusing.  Was there a typo?  Maybe I misread it?  It sounded like he was calling it legit but then undermined it.  Sarcasm?

I thought it looked fine until I saw it in super slow.  Then it became clear it was moving forward (at least with the camera angle given)

Edited by dmsleight

1 hour ago, dmsleight said:

I found his words confusing.  Was there a typo?  Maybe I misread it?  It sounded like he was calling it legit but then undermined it.  Sarcasm?

I thought it looked fine until I saw it in super slow.  Then it became clear it was moving forward (at least with the camera angle given)

It's sarcasm. Reference frames only really become relevant when one party is moving a LOT faster than the other. Obviously,that isn't happening here, so their frame of reference is basically the same as anyone else's.

The icing on the cake is the "it's not their fault they ran forward faster than the ball".

Edited by starcrunch061

My Week 14 2017-18 NFL Tips 

Saints over Falcons 

Bills over Colts 

Bengals over Bears 

Packers over Browns 

Cowboys over Giants 

Lions over Bucs

Chiefs over Raiders

Vikings over Panthers 

Texans over 49ers

Jets over Broncos 

Titans over Cardinals 

Chargers over Redskins

Eagles over Rams

Seahawks over Jags

Steelers over Ravens 

Patriots over Dolphins 

13 hours ago, Pokey said:

Chiefs over Raiders

Wow, really?

And glad they aren't going to throw him to the curb after just one season. Not his fault the team is a pile of shit:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000889185/article/haslam-hue-jackson-will-remain-browns-coach-in-2018

Now Geno's mad he's riding the bench again. Well, he shouldn't have left it anyway!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000889123/article/geno-smith-unhappy-to-lose-giants-starting-job

Edited by Jigglypuff

Gotta feeling the Seahawks/Jags game is going to be on e of those "whoever breaks 20 wins" type of games.  If Seattle can bottle up Fornette (spelling?) and make Bortles win it with his arm... they stand a chance.  On the flip side if the Jags defense can contain Wilson and force Seattle to try and run the ball, they stand a chance.  This was initially one of the games I glanced at and thought "loss" because it either was (or at least I thought it was) their sole 10 A.M. game and now it isn't, or it just never was.  Seattle's soooooooo bad in 10 A.M. games.  But, now that it's 1 o'clock my time (West Coast) who knows.  Coin flip I guess.

8 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

whoever breaks 20 wins

Points, I guess?

Even with a weakened  2ndary, Bortles  doesn't worry me.  And certainly shutting down the run game will be the end for the O.  I think a good strategy for beating the SH offense is to let them get a couple of decent runs in early then shut it down.  Carroll is so desperate to use his game plan, that I think if he thinks it is working, he will stick to it.  Then they will have to get desperate later when they have killed all their drives trying to establish the run.  In the end, that won't be enough.  You have to take off the dragons head.  Jags have to make RW make mistakes.

I did remember an early game scheduled too.  Did they already play it?

For having numerous Thursday night duds this season, the ATL-NO game last night was exciting. Crazy ending with Falcons coach making a dumb choice on declining a penalty. Then future HOF Brees makes a terrible decision in the end zone. And culminated with Sean Payton sticking a dagger in his team with an unsportsmanlike flag. 

I'm happy with the outcome though as it improves my Vikings home-field chances for the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Points, I guess?

Even with a weakened  2ndary, Bortles  doesn't worry me.  And certainly shutting down the run game will be the end for the O.  I think a good strategy for beating the SH offense is to let them get a couple of decent runs in early then shut it down.  Carroll is so desperate to use his game plan, that I think if he thinks it is working, he will stick to it.  Then they will have to get desperate later when they have killed all their drives trying to establish the run.  In the end, that won't be enough.  You have to take off the dragons head.  Jags have to make RW make mistakes.

You are correct, on both accounts.

7 hours ago, dmsleight said:

The NFL can flex games around the schedule at this time of year.  Obviously, we all know about how NBC has the right to grab any Sunday-scheduled games for Sunday Night other than those that CBS and Fox have protected in advance.  But games can also be flexed from the 4:00 EST window to the 1:00 EST window and vice versa.

It's actually one of the theories being floated around these parts as to a reason why the Giants fired everybody this week, that Giants/Cowboys was moved up from 4:25 to 1:00 because Big Blue has been such a train wreck.  Not that it's the only reason, or even a big one, but simply another tally mark in the column.

Si, if you're running the ball the only thing that has to happen is the very tip of the nose of the ball crossing the very edge of the goal line and, touchdown. 

Throwing it however, you seem to have to catch the ball, get both feet down inside the lines, write and submit a pre-written thesis on the intention and design of the entire drive, then survive a review where they make sure all ten fingers and toes never lose contact with the ball.  Do all that and maybe... maaaaaaaybe they'll call it a TD.  

The point, the rule that caused the reversal against the Vikings in the end-zone is one of the reasons people are getting fed up with the game.  Fix it.  Ball caught, two feet, or one elbow, or a knee, or etc. etc down, touchdown.  Period.  It's not that hard.

• Like 1