National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I don't pretend to say that now niners is a SB team, hell no. But they went from 5 lose-by-3-or-less to win 3 straight, and that's a huge step up, no matter what. And I prefer this to a 8-6 team whom every year claim to be a SB contender and still chatting about playoffs hope while his division winner is at 12-2 :facepalm:

If Lynch will work well in next FA+draft, maybe SF could become an 8-8 team and turn again in a contender in a couple of years...

10 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Which they'll probably end up trading away because if I'm an LA college QB I've already told them that there is no way I'm signing with them......I'd rather go back to college for another year than sign with THE WORST FRANCHISE IN PROFESSIONAL SPORT.

The only way this works in the favor of said college QB is if they choose to return to school for another season instead of declaring for the draft, assuming they are an underclassman and still have eligibility.  The draft is tailored in such a way that the financial consequences are mildly catastrophic if a player simply wants to pout and sit out for an entire year; not only does he lose a lot of money and not only does his reputation take a significant hit, but it doesn't get him declared a free agent.  All it does is relegate him to the draft again the next year, likely to be selected a lot lower and to lose a ton of money while being known as a malcontent.  Even then, said prospect is taking a huge risk that his draft stock won't plummet in his "gap year" because he gets hurt or is ineffective or whatever.  Peyton Manning got away with this one, much to the chagrin of Jets fans, but there are other guys who have tried this sort of thing and not had it work out very well.

And if the Cleveland Browns wind up with two picks in the Top 5, it's a very real possibility that they take the QB they want/need with Houston's pick and use their own on a non-QB who they deem to be the "best player available".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, acasser said:

The only way this works in the favor of said college QB is if they choose to return to school for another season instead of declaring for the draft, assuming they are an underclassman and still have eligibility.  The draft is tailored in such a way that the financial consequences are mildly catastrophic if a player simply wants to pout and sit out for an entire year; not only does he lose a lot of money and not only does his reputation take a significant hit, but it doesn't get him declared a free agent.  All it does is relegate him to the draft again the next year, likely to be selected a lot lower and to lose a ton of money while being known as a malcontent.  Even then, said prospect is taking a huge risk that his draft stock won't plummet in his "gap year" because he gets hurt or is ineffective or whatever.  Peyton Manning got away with this one, much to the chagrin of Jets fans, but there are other guys who have tried this sort of thing and not had it work out very well.

And if the Cleveland Browns wind up with two picks in the Top 5, it's a very real possibility that they take the QB they want/need with Houston's pick and use their own on a non-QB who they deem to be the "best player available".

Couple players I remember this type of scenario happening to was John Elway, who was drafted by the Baltimore Colts; and Bo Jackson, who was selected by Tampa Bay. Both had baseball careers as leverage and were able get their way in the end. Elway refused to play for the Colts because they were horrible and he whined and sulked. Colts caved and traded him.

Jackson got screwed by TB ownership, who had him do a football-related thing which ended up costing him his NCAA eligibility for baseball. Bo was pissed and went into baseball. He eventually got drafted by the Raiders with a mid-round pick.

And didn't Eli sulk about not wanting to play for San Diego too? Can't recall how that all went down.

• Like 1

Eli actually stated that he would rather go to law school than play for the San Diego Chargers. He did not want his career to mirror that of his father's, Archie Manning. Archie was a great, great quarterback that no one talks about because he played for the woeful New Orleans Saints. He got beat up every Sunday and never appeared in a playoff game.

San Diego did draft Eli, and then he was immediately traded to New York for picks. San Diego ended up using one of those picks for Philip Rivers.

Rivers, of course, is the superior QB but has never won a Super Bowl. HOF? Probably not. Eli Manning HOF? Probably.

Meanwhile, Cleveland can't even do a simple trade for a QB without screwing it up. They draft/sign the wrong guys (see Johnny Manziel), pass on Jimmy G, screw up the AJ McCarren deal. There is no way on God's green earth that I would ever sign with Cleveland. EVER. The only QB to play for Cleveland that was any good was Otto Graham. Brian Sipe? Bernie Kosar? C'mon man! Bernie Kosar and Otto Graham are the only Cleveland QB's with more than one career playoff win.

No one will brand someone as a malcontent for ducking this disaster. The brand that comes to mind is "smart".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Eli actually stated that he would rather go to law school than play for the San Diego Chargers. He did not want his career to mirror that of his father's, Archie Manning. Archie was a great, great quarterback that no one talks about because he played for the woeful New Orleans Saints. He got beat up every Sunday and never appeared in a playoff game.

San Diego did draft Eli, and then he was immediately traded to New York for picks. San Diego ended up using one of those picks for Philip Rivers.

Rivers, of course, is the superior QB but has never won a Super Bowl. HOF? Probably not. Eli Manning HOF? Probably.

Meanwhile, Cleveland can't even do a simple trade for a QB without screwing it up. They draft/sign the wrong guys (see Johnny Manziel), pass on Jimmy G, screw up the AJ McCarren deal. There is no way on God's green earth that I would ever sign with Cleveland. EVER. The only QB to play for Cleveland that was any good was Otto Graham. Brian Sipe? Bernie Kosar? C'mon man! Bernie Kosar and Otto Graham are the only Cleveland QB's with more than one career playoff win.

No one will brand someone as a malcontent for ducking this disaster. The brand that comes to mind is "smart".

On top of that, any player that goes to the Browns turns into a shit sandwich, so...why the hell would you want to? They're near the top every year, but they can't get it together!

On 18/12/2017 at 0:56 PM, PsychicVibe said:

Which they'll probably end up trading away because if I'm an LA college QB I've already told them that there is no way I'm signing with them......I'd rather go back to college for another year than sign with THE WORST FRANCHISE IN PROFESSIONAL SPORT.

Yeah I remember reading an article about USC qb Sam Darnold saying he would stay in school another year if a terrible team has 1st pick, I wonder if many others college players think the same or are like pls don’t let the Browns take me xD 

2 hours ago, Pokey said:

Yeah I remember reading an article about USC qb Sam Darnold saying he would stay in school another year if a terrible team has 1st pick, I wonder if many others college players think the same or are like pls don’t let the Browns take me xD 

That was a rumor based on speculation by an NFL reporter. Here's what Darnold has been quoted as saying:

"I didn't say anything about the Browns. I've never said anything bad about a team. They know I would never say anything."

Darnold on report he'd stay in school if the Browns had the #1 overall pick "I'm not sure where that came from so I'm going to leave it alone."

I find it interesting that he says "They (Browns office) know I would never say anything."

Apparently Darnold and the Brown's office have already had a conversation which Darnold has promised to keep private. Just speculating here.....but I'm guessing that Darnold has told the Browns that there is no way he'll play for them but he'll keep the decision private in order not to weaken Cleveland's position in any trade talks.

If Cleveland's new front office isn't gung-ho about one of the QB prospects being significantly better than the field, they could always use the #1 overall pick on something else and Houston's pick (or trade up a spot or two from Houston's pick) on one of the remaining QBs.  Just something for all of those alleged "top guys" to keep in mind -- there's no guarantee that Cleveland has to use the #1 pick when they'll probably have something at #5 or #6 and more than enough ammunition to move up from there if the need obliges.

They snubbed our boys Justin Tucker and Sam Koch from the Pro Bowl. I'm especially salty seeing who they picked over Tucker: Boswell. 

This is a snub. Tucker is just better than Boswell, he's a LOT better. Seriously man, I hate the Steelers.

On the plus side for the Ravens, Terrell Suggs, Eric Weddle, and C.J Mosley were picked up. I was so looking forward to seeing Jimmy Smith here but as you all now he went down :c

Also, the Ravens will make the playoffs this year ?

NFL Players of the Week - Week 15

AFC Players of the Week

Offensive: Rob Gronkowski

Defensive: Marcus Peters

Special Teams: Sam Koch (my favorite one)

NFC Players of the Week

Offensive: Todd Gurley

Defensive: Darius Slay

Special Teams: Robbie Gould

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000895841/article/gronkowski-gurley-among-nfl-players-of-the-week

My Week 16 2017-18 NFL Tips 

Ravens over Colts 

Vikings over Packers 

Saints over Falcons 

Patriots over Bills

Bears over Browns 

Lions over Bengals 

Redskins over Broncos 

Rams over Titans 

Chiefs over Dolphins 

Chargers over Jets

Panthers over Bucs

Jags over 49ers

Cowboys over Seahawks 

Cardinals over Giants 

Steelers over Texans 

Eagles over Raiders 

When was the last time there was this many shutouts in a season? 

I'm sure I'll be accused of being a salty Seattle fan (and I kind of am) but this has been such a trash year.  Terrible teams everywhere, injuries everywhere, the catch rule in the endzone has become the most maddening thing ever (and as I'm typing this the Pats get gifted yet another BS reversal against the Bills), players caring more about their brand and endzone celebrations more than the game everywhere.  And, of course, every roll is coming up New England.

Seems like there's about 5 teams worth watching right now and the rest is just a garbage heap.  And it's looking like it'll be capped off with the Brown finally achieving their dream of being the 2nd 0-16 team in history.  Sure hope the 2018 MLB season brings us something better than the NFL did this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

This just in - Gurley is good.

Seahawks with a false glimmer of hope.  Hawks losing.  Tennessee is hanging in too...

And then the on-side kick debacle happens, refs are all like "... um well, you see this happened... oh wait, no it didn't... uh... well... you see... this is actually wha- oh wait, that didn't happen either... well... uh... just do it over because reasons."

Jimmy Graham's touchdown catch was kind of funny.  He held it out there like "here's-the-ball-here-it-is-here-it-is-here-it-is-still-here-here-it-is-please don't find a way to take this TD away from me, here-it-is-still-here-right-here."

Also, I didn't see the game so I don't know for sure, maybe you guys can help me out.  Did Elliott get a 15 yard unsportsmanlike when he jumped into the Salvation Army jug or is that only a foul if you have a Seahawks logo on your helmet?

Edited by skidmarkgn