National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

It's typical for NBA teams to stop trying and better their draft positions. It's not typical for NFL teams to do the same so it's surprising the G Men would fold this early.

Maybe McAdoo is trying to become the most hated New Yorker of the 21st Century. 

If the brass doesn't throw him to the curb once the season ends, I'll be very surprised.

1 hour ago, Jigglypuff said:

If the brass doesn't throw him to the curb once the season ends, I'll be very surprised.

The Giants might have the most conservative ownership in all of North American professional sports.  Conservative, as in "very gunshy when it comes to firing anybody, coaches or General Managers", up there with the Pittsburgh Steelers when it comes to continuity in those spots.

There's a constant drumbeat from the sports media around here about how the Giants need to clean house, but the Mara family doesn't really get pushed into those sorts of things by anybody.  That's not to say that the Giants won't clean house, just that I wouldn't be running off to Las Vegas to place the requisite bets that it's going to happen because it isn't anything approaching a certainty.  It could happen, it probably should happen, but Jerry Reese (the GM) has been skating by for years based on two Super Bowls that were a long time ago -- one of which was won with almost entirely his predecessor's players -- and has done nothing of note for years outside of getting lucky that OBJ fell to him.  Tom Coughlin lasted a lot longer than most coaches in a similar position because of those same two Super Bowls and because Eli Manning loved him, and Coughlin was replaced from within in a move that screams "there wasn't really a problem here but we made a cosmetic move and threw a fall guy overboard".

The real problem with the GIants is thus:  They've got a terrible offensive line that undermines that entire side of the football, their defense is overrated and living off of last year's accomplishments, and a bunch of the players have already quit on the team.  They need a massive roster overhaul, but that's going to oblige the GM to get fired and I don't know that it's going to happen.

54 minutes ago, Jare said:

It’s finally Jimmy Garapollo time in San Francisco http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/28/jimmy-garoppolo-to-start-for-49ers-on-sunday/

and With Eli Manning being benched, it’s safe to assume his time in New York is over 

Finally Garoppolo has a chance to become starter. It will be interesting to see. He scored a TD in two plays with 2/2 pass completion. It was last minute and with the Seahawks' secondary starters already resting on the bench.

But it was still a bit impressive that he made the TD.

And with Eli, as I said before, should request to be cut from the team and be signed by a QB needy franchise to have a chance to start a game this sunday.

He's 'only' 36 and doesn't take risks at all, so maybe he could actually have reached 270~280 starts.

But judging by his performance, he was going to be benched eventually like it just happened.

I for one am happy for my buddy Geno.  I hope the guy can succeed. Then again... He is set up to fail even if he were Marino in his prime.  Best wishes regardless.

Eli still has value to somebody.  Until teams draft shiny new toys to play with.

First Gerry makes Romo cry, now Manning.  Who's next?

My Week 13 2017-18 NFL Tips 

Cowboys over Redskins

Vikings over Falcons 

Patriots over Bills 

49ers over Bears

Dolphins over Broncos 

Lions over Ravens 

Packers over Bucs

Titans over Texans 

Jags over Colts 

Chiefs over Jets 

Chargers over Browns 

Raiders over Giants 

Rams over Cardinals 

Saints over Panthers 

Eagles over Seahawks 

Steelers over Bengals 

2 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Ouch!  Was not expecting that kind of whooping...  RIP Skins

Yeah I thought it be a much closer game too, but as you said Redskins are done, whilst Cowboys stay alive, and man the Redskins o-line issues is just amazing, they used there 22nd different o-line combination. Also was good to see Alfred Morris with a big game against the former team 

1 hour ago, Jare said:

Yeah I thought it be a much closer game too, but as you said Redskins are done, whilst Cowboys stay alive, and man the Redskins o-line issues is just amazing, they used there 22nd different o-line combination. Also was good to see Alfred Morris with a big game against the former team 

No doubt that scumbag snyder will use this as a means to undercut Cousins.  Snyder has no leverage though...   I am looking forward to the drama. His a real screw up.  He makes it really hard to cheer for the team.

The Denver Broncos have officially hit rock bottom giving up 35 to the awful Dolphins offense and comiting 2 safety's, Dolphins were having so much fun they even went for a onside when up 24 xD 

and the Garappolo era in San Francisco starts with a win over the Bears thx to all 15 points from Robbie Gould, i'm sure Bears fans loved that :giggle: 

3 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

And they were 14-0 relatively early in the first quarter no?

Yes, they were.  KC went straight down the field on their first two possessions without issue -- as Todd Bowles told the CBS sideline reporter, the Jets "decided" they were going to get their 4th quarter collapse out of the way early and then play a solid game after that.

KC-Jets was an odd game.  Most of the highlights are going to be KC's big plays:  the two TDs by Travis Kelce, the two TDs by Tyreke Hill, Alex Smith with a super-long scramble.  (There's also a circus catch by Jermaine Kearse, who along with Robby Anderson had a huge day in the Jets' passing game.)  But the handful of big plays is pretty much the full extent of what the Chiefs managed to do today.  The Jets dominated in Time of Possession (almost 44 minutes) and ran something like 40 more plays than the Chiefs.  They didn't rip off chunk plays very often, but they ran the football a lot and they were surgical on third down and the Chiefs' defense simply couldn't get off the field to save their lives.  The penalties didn't help, but outside of a silly sequence late in the 4th quarter when the Jets ran 10 consecutive plays inside the KC 10-yard line before finally taking the lead, those penalties weren't really that much of a factor.

Then there was Marcus Peters completely losing his cool and chucking a penalty flag into the stands.  And a bunch of fans taking selfies with the stupid thing.  Peters is going to get fined by the League Office for good measure, and well he should.  But it's not like that incident really had that much of an impact on the game.

When it came down to crunch time, Kansas City was simply gassed.  And they were obliged to use their timeouts in ways they didn't really want to, which hamstrung their attempt to tie the game on their final possession.  But that's what you ought to expect when you can't run the football -- take away Smith's scramble and the KC run game did effectively nothing -- and when the other team can run the football and convert third downs.

And Darelle Revis was atrocious -- he looked like the guy Jets fans were cursing most of last year.  Kansas City didn't even put him in the game in the second half because he was pretty much ineffective:  Revis would give receivers 10-yard cushions off the line just to ensure he couldn't get beat deep, and Josh McCown and the Jets offense was quite willing to dink and dunk in front of him or to run Jermaine Kearse and Robby Anderson out of the slot.

The Chiefs are a flawed team.  And teams are figuring out how to beat them and then going out and doing it.

As for the Jets?  They've nuked their chances at a superlative draft pick, but Todd Bowles deserves a lot of credit (AND a contract extension) for how hard this team competes and this was a thoroughly satisfying win.

3 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

Argh!!! Goddamn Chiefs!!! Fucking 6-6! Damn defensive penalties are fucking killing us!!! 1f621.png

Good grief man! Three straight weeks of losing to the Giants, Bills and Jets. I feel for all KC fans. No one in their right mind would've thought that could happen. 

• Like 1

Huh?  I mean, outside of Carroll and Wilson I doubt anyone on the planet was optimistic enough to see that one coming.  Killer win tonight by the 'Hawks, and a lot of bad decisions and missed opportunities by the Eagles.

So I'm seeing the replays from games I didn't/couldn't watch and can't figure out for the life of me how the f--k Gronk didn't get thrown out of a game where he launches himself at a downed players head WELL after a play was over... then has the audacity to "apologize" while making sure to bring up how mistreated he was was by the officials the whole game and throw out a bunch of bullshit excuses.  If he isn't suspended for what is easily the dirtiest hit of the year (and concussing the player he cheap shotted) in an era where player safety, especially when it comes to concussions, is soooooooooooo important then it's obvious... well, more obvious the Pats are held to a different set of rules than the rest of the league.

Edited by skidmarkgn

For those doubters and waverers:  It's december!  The Seahawk rouses from its possum like state and devours Eagles and the like.  (I'd have to admit, that my expectations had slipped recently).

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm seeing the replays

I'm about to head to NFL.com myself.  Graham with 9 td in 8 games?  Nice!  The man is eyeing Free Agency?  Mike Davis? Is this guy legit??  I really hope so!

On 11/30/2017 at 11:00 AM, dmsleight said:

Jets win!  Tenn wins!!  Miami wins!!  Bills win!  49ers win! (oops)  GB wins!  AZ wins!  NO wins!  Seattle wins! and Bengals win!

Crazy day!  Only 4 visitor wins so far.  How bout them Jets?!  Or maybe better said,  How out them Chiefs?

5 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Good grief man! Three straight weeks of losing to the Giants, Bills and Jets. I feel for all KC fans. No one in their right mind would've thought that could happen. 

If anyone wants to pick the Raiders over the Chiefs next weekend, I won't blame them a bit. My sister and brother in-law have tickets for that game. Hopefully it turns out well or they'll be pissed off they wasted their money.

Also, since the Chargers and Raiders won their games, the Chiefs are in trouble if they weren't already! D:

Edited by Jigglypuff

14 hours ago, Pokey said:

The Denver Broncos have officially hit rock bottom giving up 35 to the awful Dolphins offense and comiting 2 safety's, Dolphins were having so much fun they even went for a onside when up 24 xD 

The tire fire rages on. They really, REALLY hate the coach out there.

8 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

So I'm seeing the replays from games I didn't/couldn't watch and can't figure out for the life of me how the f--k Gronk didn't get thrown out of a game where he launches himself at a downed players head WELL after a play was over... then has the audacity to "apologize" while making sure to bring up how mistreated he was was by the officials the whole game and throw out a bunch of bullshit excuses.  

I don't think there's any question he'll be suspended. Roger Goodell is the biggest whore in the world, and once the outcry gets loud enough (and it's getting louder by the minute), he'll bow to pressure and suspend him.

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

The tire fire rages on. They really, REALLY hate the coach out there.

I don't think there's any question he'll be suspended. Roger Goodell is the biggest whore in the world, and once the outcry gets loud enough (and it's getting louder by the minute), he'll bow to pressure and suspend him.

He shouldn't have to bow to any pressure, Gronk should just plain be suspended because that was a SUPER DIRTY hit.  Imagine that was a Bills player doing that to Brady, you think their would have been any hesitation to eject, fine, and suspend said player?  Not a chance in hell.

And seriously, that "apology".  Nothing but blame deflection and excuses as to why he chose to spear himself at a downed players head long after a play was over.  One of the most hollow apologies I've ever seen.