National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

You don't have to convince me that Bill Belichick is an egomaniac or an asshole.  As a Jets fan, I've been watching it for a very long time and I'm still a little bit sore about that napkin reading "I resign as HC of the NYJ" and its aftermath.  You also don't have to convince me that Bill Belichick is capable of running his starters into the ground in meaningless games because he's pursuing a perfect season, even at the risk of the Super Bowl a few weeks down the line.

I just don't think this year's team is the one where he'd go all-out in the same fashion as in years past.  And while 16-0 will have a great deal of meaning to him, I can't see him risking Gronkowski and Brady (and maybe Amendola given how Julian Edelman is on the shelf) with the shape his team is in.  His window is starting to close -- it's open so long as Brady is Brady and Gronk is reasonably healthy -- and I suspect he wants to cram another title (or three) into his trophy cabinet while the opportunity is there.

I just think he'll chase 16-0 with Jimmy Garoppolo and a bunch of "Who Dat?" players at the other skill positions as to maximize his chances of winning back-to-back Super Bowls.  Maybe it'll only be Week 17 against the Dolphins, and maybe it'll only be the second half of Week 17 at that, but I can't see him taking excessive risks unless he's that fixated on 19-0 as part of his legacy.  At least not if there's nothing to play for because the Patriots have homefield wrapped up.

You don't have to convince me that Bill Belichick is an egomaniac or an asshole.  As a Jets fan, I've been watching it for a very long time and I'm still a little bit sore about that napkin reading "I resign as HC of the NYJ" and its aftermath.  You also don't have to convince me that Bill Belichick is capable of running his starters into the ground in meaningless games because he's pursuing a perfect season, even at the risk of the Super Bowl a few weeks down the line.

I just don't think this year's team is the one where he'd go all-out in the same fashion as in years past.  And while 16-0 will have a great deal of meaning to him, I can't see him risking Gronkowski and Brady (and maybe Amendola given how Julian Edelman is on the shelf) with the shape his team is in.  His window is starting to close -- it's open so long as Brady is Brady and Gronk is reasonably healthy -- and I suspect he wants to cram another title (or three) into his trophy cabinet while the opportunity is there.

I just think he'll chase 16-0 with Jimmy Garoppolo and a bunch of "Who Dat?" players at the other skill positions as to maximize his chances of winning back-to-back Super Bowls.  Maybe it'll only be Week 17 against the Dolphins, and maybe it'll only be the second half of Week 17 at that, but I can't see him taking excessive risks unless he's that fixated on 19-0 as part of his legacy.  At least not if there's nothing to play for because the Patriots have homefield wrapped up.

For the most part I won't argue with this. However, it is still too early to tell. I guarantee the starters will be playing week 16 vs the Jets. This is a good idea for the Patriots because you do not want your players to sit for a month between week 16 and the first playoff game. Week 17 absolutely 100% rests on whether or not they are undefeated. If they are 15-0 going into week 17 the starters will play no doubt. At least until the game gets out of hand. If they lose so much as one game before that Bill Belichick won't play Brady and Gronk at the very least. By the way home field is already wrapped up. The Patriots may lose 1, but they won't lose 2 before the end of the season, I guarantee it. The Bengals won't be able to catch them. 

• Like 1

Fair enough.  I do agree with some of your points (though I don't think anyone will be chasing 16-0 with Jimmy G, but that's just my personal opinion, he reminds me of Timmy T, and we all know what he's up to these days).  I'm not up to speed on all the Pats injuries (though I am aware of Edelman), so it's a valid point if they limp into the last 3-4 games of the season.  For some reason I just can't imagine Belichick ever not 'going for it', even if there's nothing to gain.  I mean he left in his starters just to rack up 51 on the Jags as a big Fuck You to... I dunno, the league?  He risks a lot often, so we'll see.  I'm actually hoping he does leave Tommy boy in there to the bitter end, would love to see another karma-related knee injury.  Might sound harsh, but I fucking hate that cheater.

Anyway, not sure why everyone I mentioned in that post had their name end in a Y, but ya do whatcha gotta do or something... I dunno anymore...

Edited by Matto_lsi

Fair enough.  I do agree with some of your points (though I don't think anyone will be chasing 16-0 with Jimmy G, but that's just my personal opinion, he reminds me of Timmy T, and we all know what he's up to these days).  I'm not up to speed on all the Pats injuries (though I am aware of Edelman), so it's a valid point if they limp into the last 3-4 games of the season.  For some reason I just can't imagine Belichick ever not 'going for it', even if there's nothing to gain.  I mean he left in his starters just to rack up 51 on the Jags as a big Fuck You to... I dunno, the league?  He risks a lot often, so we'll see.  I'm actually hoping he does leave Tommy boy in there to the bitter end, would love to see another karma-related knee injury.  Might sound harsh, but I fucking hate that cheater.

Anyway, not sure why everyone I mentioned in that post had their name end in a Y, but ya do whatcha gotta do or something... I dunno anymore...

Really? Wishing injury on another player? Thats fucked up man. I mean I hate Suh with a passion but would never EVER wish he would get injured. Your like the assholes cheering in Philadelphia when Tony Romo broke his collarbone. What if Tom Brady couldn't walk for the rest of his life because of that knee injury? That constitutes karma to you, since he "cheated" in a sports game? Antonio Gates used PED's, do you hope his arm gets snapped in two the next time he plays? Fuck you dude.

Edited by Lithium_Lemon

Didn't get to watch the game last night, heard the officiating was an absolute overall nightmare?

Honestly it was among the worst I have ever seen. It included the refs taking 1-2 minutes on a couple specific occasions to announce the penalty. Plus if you have not seen it already, the pass to Danny Amendola that would have gone for 60+ yards, possibly for a touchdown was blown dead by a refs whistle. At least it didn't affect the outcome of the game. This game should have been over at the start of the fourth quarter with New England ahead 27-10. 

Honestly it was among the worst I have ever seen. It included the refs taking 1-2 minutes on a couple specific occasions to announce the penalty. Plus if you have not seen it already, the pass to Danny Amendola that would have gone for 60+ yards, possibly for a touchdown was blown dead by a refs whistle. At least it didn't affect the outcome of the game. This game should have been over at the start of the fourth quarter with New England ahead 27-10. 

I also read that the Bills should have had 2 seconds on the clock in the 4th because no one touched Watkins before he went out of bounds and Amendola got hurt?

I also read that the Bills should have had 2 seconds on the clock in the 4th because no one touched Watkins before he went out of bounds and Amendola got hurt?

Amendola did get hurt in the third quarter. Yes, the Bills play too. Im not sure about the whole sideline, clock stopping rules but definitely nobody touched him. They still would have had to heave it 50 yards to even tie the game though. I mean it would have been possible but highly unlikely. Like I said even though the terrible calls didn't change to outcome of the game, these kind of things cannot continue to happen, no matter what team is playing. What if this was a playoff game and that 60 yard pass to Amendola that was called back occurred with one minute left on the clock on fourth down? The referees NEED to be more consistent.  

Yeah the Bills got robbed of another play at the end of the game. While 2 seconds isn't a lot it could have been a TD to bring it into OT. (although I don't know if the extra point would have been made available since the timer hit 0? I thought something like that happened this season. :dunno: )

And yeah apparently Amendola did get hurt but idk where the hell I was lmfao. :facepalm:

Kinda sucks about Flacco though. Heard he got taken out by his own team. What a shitty way to end a season.

Amendola did get hurt in the third quarter. Yes, the Bills play too. Im not sure about the whole sideline, clock stopping rules but definitely nobody touched him. They still would have had to heave it 50 yards to even tie the game though. I mean it would have been possible but highly unlikely. Like I said even though the terrible calls didn't change to outcome of the game, these kind of things cannot continue to happen, no matter what team is playing. What if this was a playoff game and that 60 yard pass to Amendola that was called back occurred with one minute left on the clock on fourth down? The referees NEED to be more consistent.  

Wouldn't mind seeing the rule book lose a couple dozen pages either.  Even though some (if not most) of the bad calls are things that look like they should be easy to get right, when you have to look for soooooo much little nit-picky bullshit it's probably easy to miss something that's right in front of your face.  Don't envy their jobs right now.

PS: please make what is and isn't a freaking catch be priority #1!!!

Josh McCown will start Monday. Manziel was demoted to third string after videos of him partying surfaced online.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000587260/article/browns-name-josh-mccown-starting-quarterback

Looks like the rehab didn't stick. :-( Hopefully it will next time.

Edited by ShadowStar83x

Wouldn't mind seeing the rule book lose a couple dozen pages either.  Even though some (if not most) of the bad calls are things that look like they should be easy to get right, when you have to look for soooooo much little nit-picky bullshit it's probably easy to miss something that's right in front of your face.  Don't envy their jobs right now.

PS: please make what is and isn't a freaking catch be priority #1!!!

The refs got the dead ball due to whistle wrong as well.  The retired ref they had in the booth said that since the whistle came before the catch, it should have been a dead ball at the original line of scrimmage + 15 yard penalty on Rex.  Also, since they don't have eyes and ears that work together, and ruled he caught it before the whistle, that same ref also said that Rex's 15 yarder should NOT have been added on.  It's really crazy how bad they screwed that one up, cause the whistle never should have been blown, and it would have been a TD.

Also, Tyrod Taylor got hurt.  QBs are dropping like flies ever since they put in the new rules to protect them, which is strangely ironic.  Even the announcers in Sundays games were saying the same thing, and now we have another QB injury last night.  At this rate the only QB left standing will be the one who wins the SB.

I could have my citations all wrong, but doesn't that rule stipulate that the player must be going forward or attempting to go forward for the clock to stop in that spot?  I didn't watch much of the game, but I did watch the last four minutes or so.... and it would be a little bit of a stretch to claim Watkins was even going sideways at that point -- in my view, he was rolling part sideways and part backwards.

That being said, I wish the NFL would adopt the D-1 college rule, at least for the last five minutes of each half.  That is, the rule that states the clock stops on a first down until the ball and chains are reset and the referee is ready for play.  Rather than have the officials scurrying around out there doing god-knows-what, we could get around in an organized fashion and not have clock issues with some crews and not with others.

I could have my citations all wrong, but doesn't that rule stipulate that the player must be going forward or attempting to go forward for the clock to stop in that spot?  I didn't watch much of the game, but I did watch the last four minutes or so.... and it would be a little bit of a stretch to claim Watkins was even going sideways at that point -- in my view, he was rolling part sideways and part backwards.

That being said, I wish the NFL would adopt the D-1 college rule, at least for the last five minutes of each half.  That is, the rule that states the clock stops on a first down until the ball and chains are reset and the referee is ready for play.  Rather than have the officials scurrying around out there doing god-knows-what, we could get around in an organized fashion and not have clock issues with some crews and not with others.

Beats me man.  I didn't watch the game and I definitely don't know the nuances of the out of bounds rule, or that there were any.  I thought if a player went out the play's dead and the clock stops.  

acasser is right, if you aren't moving forwards when you go out of bounds, the clock doesn't stop, but this is specifically for when your forward progress is stopped by another player, not because you ran sideways for the sideline.  In the case of the Bills game last night, he was on his butt trying to scooch out of bounds before time ran out.  Even though it looked funny, technically it should have stopped the clock.  But it honestly wouldn't have mattered.  Taylor was hurt and with 2 seconds left he's not gonna be able to throw a 50 yard hail mary to win the game, he could barely throw 10 yarders on target at that point in the game.

acasser is right, if you aren't moving forwards when you go out of bounds, the clock doesn't stop, but this is specifically for when your forward progress is stopped by another player, not because you ran sideways for the sideline.  In the case of the Bills game last night, he was on his butt trying to scooch out of bounds before time ran out.  Even though it looked funny, technically it should have stopped the clock.  But it honestly wouldn't have mattered.  Taylor was hurt and with 2 seconds left he's not gonna be able to throw a 50 yard hail mary to win the game, he could barely throw 10 yarders on target at that point in the game.

They could of put in Manuel. The dude isint the most accurate but he can chuck the hell out of a ball.

Josh McCown will start Monday. Manziel was demoted to third string after videos of him partying surfaced online. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000587260/article/browns-name-josh-mccown-starting-quarterback

Looks like the rehab didn't stick. :-( Hopefully it will next time.

Does he ever get it, was gonna start rest of year, then does this, he will never last in the NFL acting like this

• Like 1

They could of put in Manuel. The dude isint the most accurate but he can chuck the hell out of a ball.

For sure, I was really surprised Rex didn't pull Taylor the first time he came to the sideline clutching his throwing shoulder.  That was Shannahan/RG3 levels of irresponsible on the coaches part.  But once it became obvious he wasn't opting for the back-up, it also became obvious he was accepting defeat.  Probably decided it'd be better to have an excuse (my QB was hurt), than to put in a rested and healthy QB who gets the TD and then potentially loses in OT.  Rex is kinda crazy, so I wouldn't put it past him.  But yeah, you're completely right, I figured EJ was on his way in the second Tyrod went down on that shoulder.

My Week 12 NFL Tips

Lions over Eagles

My Cowboys over Panthers

Packers over Bears

Vikings over Falcons

Chiefs over Bills

Bengals over Rams

Raiders over Titans

Colts over Bucs

Jets over Dolphins

Saints over Texans

Giants over Redskins

Jags over Chargers

Cardinals over 49ers

Steelers over Seahawks

Patriots over Broncos

Ravens over Browns

Detroit's half time show made me want to take a nail gun to my ears...

Really made me laugh remembering the people online I saw crying that Nickelback was going to play there a few years ago lmfao.

let me just remind you my team, Cowboys thanksgiving halftime music the last few years has been worse, pitbull and Kenny Chesney....nugh said :P

• Like 1