National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Guess the 49er rebuild is in full swing with V. Davis going to Denver for some picks.

Oh man, straight up Fire Sale down in Santa Clara!  I should head down there and see if I can't get myself something nice for the living room.  I mean VD hasn't been himself for a couple seasons, but they traded him for a 6th round pick.... ouch.  And all within a couple days of cutting the one promising RB on the team behind Hyde (he needed a little work, for sure, but he had the raw talent).  This team is gonna be in the gutter for a while.  Maybe we can snatch up a whole new locker room of 1st overall picks the next few seasons.  All I can say is - WOW!

Actually no, that's not all I can say... why are the Broncos picking him up when they already have Owen Daniels and Virgil Green, both who are playing better and can block?  That's the only part that doesn't make much sense to me.  When I saw that I immediately felt bad for the Broncos, cause all VD will do for them is miss blocks and drop balls.  That won't cut it in a Peyton Manning offense and he'll probably ride the bench the rest of the season.

EDIT: Aaaand they benched Kaepernick - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000572076/article/niners-bench-colin-kaepernick-blaine-gabbert-to-start- It just keeps getting better!

Edited by Matto_lsi

Damn if the Colts win...it's going to end up that they probably shouldn't/wouldn't have because of that bad call for out of bounds. :/

Is it just me or does this season seem to have more referee mess ups than usual?

EDIT:

Quite an OT. :hmm:

Didn't expect that last FG to make it in. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

What the hell is going on in San Fran?!?

First they cut Hayne in favour of 3 useless RB that got hurt during the game, then trade VD (ok he's no more the old one, but for a swap late-round picks in 2016 and a sixth-round pick in 2017?! Seriously?!) to the Broncos...

Guess I have to continue play Madden 15 to see the 49ers win  :(

Oh, I just noticed that Kaep was benched... Ok, he deserves this, but Gabbert?! Should be too insane promote Thompson from practice squad? He seemed better during preseason...

What the hell is going on in San Fran?!?

First they cut Hayne in favour of 3 useless RB that got hurt during the game, then trade VD (ok he's no more the old one, but for a swap late-round picks in 2016 and a sixth-round pick in 2017?! Seriously?!) to the Broncos...

Guess I have to continue play Madden 15 to see the 49ers win  :(

Oh, I just noticed that Kaep was benched... Ok, he deserves this, but Gabbert?! Should be too insane promote Thompson from practice squad? He seemed better during preseason...

Well, to be fair, nobody wants venereal disease ;)

Watching parts of this game I thought about 2 games I've personally seen: the first was a playoff game a few years back where the Cardinals and Packers both scored over 50 points, and the other was a regular season game between the Broncos and Cowboys I think 2 seasons ago where I'm fairly certain the score was almost, if not exactly, the same as today's Giants/Saints game.  I'll have to go look up those scores, but I think both were 100+ point games.

Edit: Looks like one was 96 points and the other 99, so not quite 100, but in both games one team scored over 50.

I can think of a Jets-Dolphins Monday Night Football game from roughly 30 years ago that was also a shootout of that style: the Jets won 51-45 in OT after tying the game on a Hail Mary and scoring on the first possession of OT to overcome Dan Marino throwing 6 TDs.

It's just one of those things that doesn't happen very often in the NFL, even with all the rules changes making it so difficult to play pass defense anymore.  One would think that and the proliferation of the spread offense would lead to more games like we see in the Big "Twelve", but it just doesn't happen.  Which is probably a good thing, because watching video game offense and no defense gets tiresome really quick, at least in my book.

Heard an interesting thought on the radio this morning.  With the trade deadline almost here what do the Jets have to lose by giving either Kaep or RG3 a shot?  With Fitz out it doesn't seem like either guy would be a drastic step down from Geno and I doubt it would cost them much to acquire one of them, especially with Kaep's super team-friendly deal.

Heard an interesting thought on the radio this morning.  With the trade deadline almost here what do the Jets have to lose by giving either Kaep or RG3 a shot?  With Fitz out it doesn't seem like either guy would be a drastic step down from Geno and I doubt it would cost them much to acquire one of them, especially with Kaep's super team-friendly deal.

The answer vis-a-vis RG3 is simple:  Griffin's 2016 salary ($16.3 million) is only guaranteed for injury.  He's not worth anything near that number, and teams aren't going to want to risk being on the hook for that sort of money and cap hit if he plays and gets hurt.  Nor do I think he's a particularly good quarterback.

As for Kaep?  Cap space is an issue for the Jets (and would also be so for RG3 to a lesser extent).  It would also take him a few weeks to get up to speed with the playbook and that's a problem because the only healthy QB in Florham Park right now is 4th-round pick Bryce Petty.  There are better ways to spend the money still available to the Jets, and that might include a contract extension for Mo Wilkerson after the season with some of the signing bonus put on this year's cap.

If the Jets aren't comfortable with where Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith are injury-wise by Thursday, they'll put a call into Matt Flynn and sign him as the backup.  Flynn was in camp for a few weeks and at least has a handle on the offense, so he can carry the clipboard and step into action if necessary.  Bryce Petty will start if the guys in front of him aren't up to it, and it'll probably be a somewhat conservative gameplan given his inexperience and the opponent (Jacksonville).

Geno Smith is probably gone after the season any which way.  He was a draftee of the old regime, so McCagnan/Bowles have no particular loyalty to him.

Actually no, that's not all I can say... why are the Broncos picking him up when they already have Owen Daniels and Virgil Green, both who are playing better and can block?  That's the only part that doesn't make much sense to me.  When I saw that I immediately felt bad for the Broncos, cause all VD will do for them is miss blocks and drop balls.  That won't cut it in a Peyton Manning offense and he'll probably ride the bench the rest of the season.

EDIT: Aaaand they benched Kaepernick - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000572076/article/niners-bench-colin-kaepernick-blaine-gabbert-to-start- It just keeps getting better!

The Broncos picked up Vernon Davis to be their pass-catching Tight End once he adjusts to the offense.  They haven't adequately replaced Julian Thomas after JT signed with Jacksonville in the off-season.  They're not expecting Davis to be the guy who was terrific a few years ago, but they hope he'll be able to contribute as a secondary option in the passing game.  And it's hard to blame Denver given the price point on the deal and the possibility that Peyton Manning is done after this year.

.... although, if Peyton is done after this year, it might make some sense for Denver to explore a trade for Drew Brees.  If New Orleans decides to back up the truck and go whole hog on the rebuild, Brees and Sean Payton are their most valuble trade chips.

As to Kaepernick, Jim Tomsula is probably desperate for some wins.  While it doesn't happen very often in the NFL, I could see Tomsula being the fall guy for a terrible season and a significant attrition in talent and getting fired for the disaster he was given the reins to.

The Broncos picked up Vernon Davis to be their pass-catching Tight End once he adjusts to the offense.  They haven't adequately replaced Julian Thomas after JT signed with Jacksonville in the off-season.  They're not expecting Davis to be the guy who was terrific a few years ago, but they hope he'll be able to contribute as a secondary option in the passing game.  And it's hard to blame Denver given the price point on the deal and the possibility that Peyton Manning is done after this year.

.... although, if Peyton is done after this year, it might make some sense for Denver to explore a trade for Drew Brees.  If New Orleans decides to back up the truck and go whole hog on the rebuild, Brees and Sean Payton are their most valuble trade chips.

As to Kaepernick, Jim Tomsula is probably desperate for some wins.  While it doesn't happen very often in the NFL, I could see Tomsula being the fall guy for a terrible season and a significant attrition in talent and getting fired for the disaster he was given the reins to.

As a long-time 49er fan, I can say with absolute certainty that this is a bad idea.  I've watched every Denver game this year and BOTH Owen Daniels and Virgil Green block better than Vernon Davis ever has, even in his prime, and they both have caught some tricky passes from Peyton.  Davis couldn't catch a cold.  He runs across the middle and jumps into the air Every.Single.Time! to catch balls that are right on the numbers, and most of the time this leads to them being too low and he can't bring them in.  He also can't catch anything outside the numbers that requires him using his hands instead of his body to catch the ball.  I know he's classified as a TE, but he's more of a WR than a TE in skillset, with one glaring problem: he has no hands!  You need hands to catch balls in the NFL, and he always uses his body.  Check out his highlights over the years.  He always catches balls with his body.  He's really fast, and he's pretty sizable, but he's older now and can't outrun these young corners or even the speedier LBs that cover him over the middle.  His size advantage isn't what it used to be either as he's not as strong as he once was and defensive players are also bigger and faster than 10 years ago.  Vernon was the first in a trend of big and fast TEs, but its guys like Gronk and Graham that stand-out now, not Davis.  I won't say he's all washed up, but IMO he's not even 1st string material anymore at the TE position, at least not on most teams, and from what I've seen from Denver's current TEs, not that team either.  Also, he can't take a hit, so one bad over the middle route and he's done for the season.  He's been injury-prone since his early years too, a hamstring here, an ankle there, oh no his quad's acting up again, and now he's on IR.  It's not so much a matter of if he'll get hurt this season, but when.  I'm not saying he won't catch a couple balls here or there, but he's not reliable.... he's actually such a big question mark that I would label him unreliable at best and leave him under that classification until HE proves otherwise.  You can disagree with me if you want, but chances are he's only going to hinder Denver this year, not help them.  My guess is he'll be the guy to drop a couple 3rd down passes that would have gone for 1sts and he'll be the reason Denver loses their first game this season and then all the fans wearing orange in the mile high city will see a glimpse of what 49er fans have become accustom to the last few years.

My Week 9 NFL Tip

Bengals over Browns

Bills over Dolphins

Panthers over Packers

Saints over Titans

Steelers over Raiders

Vikings over Rams

Patriots over Redskins

Jets over Jags

Falcons over 49ers

Giants over Bucs

Broncos over Colts

My Cowboys over Eagles

Chargers over Bears

Man I am so ready for these Thursday night games to be put to pasture.  It'll never happen because money's involved but the games provide zero entertainment value and just put the players at a higher risk.  The Thursday night season opener is great but the rest of the mid-week games are almost always a dumpster fire.  Sherman said it best right before the game against the 9ers "player safety is extremely important to us, now go play on that garbage field on 4 days rest".

-_-

When did the thursday games get switched to the NFL Network....which I don't get? lol

As if the Packers didn't have a huge task ahead of them last week with the Broncos now they are going up against the Panthers on Sunday. :facepalm:

Never know I guess...could be an upset. :P

I believe the Packers are actually favored in that matchup. Anyways I think the Packers will win (I am a Packer fan but thats not why). I actually predicted MY Packers to lose last week vs. Denver. Im not trying to take anything away from Carolina but they are by far the weakest undefeated team left and have had the easiest schedule out of all the unbeaten teams besides possibly Denver. Anyways I still see them finishing the season 12-4 or 13-3 with either first or second seed in the NFC. By the way Thursday games switched solely to the NFL Network last year I believe.  

My Week 9 NFL Tip

Bengals over Browns

Bills over Dolphins

Panthers over Packers

Saints over Titans

Steelers over Raiders

Vikings over Rams

Patriots over Redskins

Jets over Jags

Falcons over 49ers

Giants over Bucs

Broncos over Colts

My Cowboys over Eagles

Chargers over Bears

Good picks.. Except the fact that the Panthers are not going to beat Green Bay. Cam Newton doesn't have enough offensive weapons to have a legitimate shot at winning. Their defense is also relatively "weak" compared to Denver. Aaron Rodgers hasn't lost 2 consecutive starts in the same season since week 5 and 6 of 2010. That streak won't end tomorrow. With that being said I see the score 24-31 Packers. By the way the Cowboys better win tomorrow. I don't know if I can stand seeing the sorry, trash ass Eagles or Giants getting blown out the first game of the playoffs. Dallas is the only team that actually has the potential to make things interesting. 

I believe the Packers are actually favored in that matchup. Anyways I think the Packers will win (I am a Packer fan but thats not why). I actually predicted MY Packers to lose last week vs. Denver. Im not trying to take anything away from Carolina but they are by far the weakest undefeated team left and have had the easiest schedule out of all the unbeaten teams besides possibly Denver. Anyways I still see them finishing the season 12-4 or 13-3 with either first or second seed in the NFC. By the way Thursday games switched solely to the NFL Network last year I believe.  

I mainly meant this season. I was able to watch some of the Thursday night games but like previous seasons it switches to another channel because, iirc, TBBT comes back to its normal Thursday night slot. :/

Hahaha the Cleveland Brownies are a disgrace. The reason they are called the Browns is because they play like a bunch of turds.

I mainly meant this season. I was able to watch some of the Thursday night games but like previous seasons it switches to another channel because, iirc, TBBT comes back to its normal Thursday night slot. :/

It was Cbs the first half of the season, then NFL Network for the 2nd half of the season.

From last year CBS got the rights to Thursday night football, how it works is CBS/NFL network show games for first half of season, 2nd half Thursday games are purely NFL network, before Thursday games were purely NFL network, they basically show the better games on the combined slate and the so-so games are just NFL network

It was Cbs the first half of the season, then NFL Network for the 2nd half of the season.

From last year CBS got the rights to Thursday night football, how it works is CBS/NFL network show games for first half of season, 2nd half Thursday games are purely NFL network, before Thursday games were purely NFL network, they basically show the better games on the combined slate and the so-so games are just NFL network

I've a terrible memory lol. I had to go back and see if last week's game on thursday was one that I saw. I genuinely couldn't remember if they had switched over to the NFL network this game or in a previous game. :P

Man I am so ready for these Thursday night games to be put to pasture.  It'll never happen because money's involved but the games provide zero entertainment value and just put the players at a higher risk.  The Thursday night season opener is great but the rest of the mid-week games are almost always a dumpster fire.  Sherman said it best right before the game against the 9ers "player safety is extremely important to us, now go play on that garbage field on 4 days rest".

Yeah, I love how there's all these stupid and overly intricate things Goodell does to 'improve safety' yet then he has teams fly 15-20 hours round trip in a weekend to London to play games for an unknown crowd at an early hour on little sleep, and promotes these Thursday night games where players have only half the rest they should have.  One Thursday game last year, I think it was, had a team play Monday before it.  After that Goodell made a big deal about not setting up schedules that way so teams got the most rest, but honestly, there's not much difference between 2 days and 3 days rest at the pro level.  A week is short enough as it is.

If he really cared about player safety and wanted to keep Thursday games, the VERY simple solution is make sure the 2 teams that play on Thursday always get their bye weeks the week before.  Then they get 1.5 weeks off before and after the game.  That's the only way to ensure safety is considered, otherwise it's all smoke and mirrors (but of course, we all it that's exactly what it is anyway).  The only reason Goodell actually cares about safety is the same reason he does anything: money.  He's tired of the NFL being sued by ex-players with brain damage and other severe injuries so he puts up a bunch of pretend rules (a couple are good, but most are bullshit) to show he cares about the players and that way saves the league millions, if not billions.  If players never sued, we'd probably have baseball style schedules where teams play 2 games back to back and 4 games in a week and we'd have a 30+ game season by now with the top 28 teams playing in the playoffs to extend those by another couple weeks.  That would bring in more money, and that's Goodell's only real concern.

The solution isn't necessarily to get rid of the Thursday games.  If it were me in charge, I'd have the schedule written so that teams playing on Thursday night have their bye the Sunday before.  That way, you'd have teams playing on 10 days rest on Thursday night and 10 days rest the following Sunday and it's no big deal.  It would foul the schedule up to some small degree given how the byes would have to be spread out, but the alternative would be to scrap the Thursday night games and all the money involved and I can't see the NFL signing off on that.  Nor do I think the players would be particualrly happy if that money disappeared because it then comes out of the salary cap and their pockets as well.

As for London?  I'm not sure there's an ideal solution for that one.  It's more wear-and-tear than just going West Coast to East Coast, but I don't believe it's that much more or that much more significant.  The early start times are garbage, but it's also an attempt to pander to the London audience and put the game in their afternoon instead of their evening.

Had a feeling the Packers/Panthers game was going to be like this (currently 4 minutes left in the half).   In 2013 and 2014 the Packers struggled mightily against Seattle and San Fran, (pretty sure they opened and closed their season with losses against those two teams) two teams with mobile QB's, a stout defense, and physical play style.  This year, that's exactly the Panthers.  Add in GB being on the road and it just didn't look like a great situation for them.  As a Seattle fan I know the game's not over until it's over, spent most of this season getting that fact hammered home, but what can GB do to change things in the 2nd half?