National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

So Kaep is gone for good... Ok, he's not that good at QB, but is this the method to end the season to someone who played for your organization the last 4 years? Really?

I'm so sick with York, Baalke and Tomsula. Really don't care if we're gonna end the season 3-13, they will deserve all! That's not the way you manage professional sportsman... Don't you like how he played? Ok, trade him, release him, bench him forever... But putting him in IR for the rest of the season is the classless thing they could ever done...

I didn't realize he was injured, NO ONE talked about it.  I can't imagine he's being forced to have a surgery as cover for being benched permanently, but I guess you never know with this 49ers organization.  When Gabbert fails (starting tomorrow, of course), it's gonna be really funny to see Tunaface and his 'superiors' trying to back-talk their way out of it.  Guess we have a future with Dylan Thompson (whoever the fuck that is) to look forward to.

Ironically, I don't feel bad for Kaep at all.  Harbaugh put his faith in Kaep, Harbaugh set up an offense around him that worked, and what did Kaep do?  He bad mouthed him the second they lost a couple O-linemen and the scheme faultered, and my guess is he's part of the reason Harbaugh was dismissed a year early.  Well, how's that working out for you now Kaep?  I look forward to seeing you ride the bench as a 3rd string QB for the rest of your assuredly short NFL career.  Harbaugh made you, you were lucky, and you blew it!

Anyway, if he's really injured, then putting him on IR is the right call, especially if he's having surgery.  But if this is all a charade, which seems a bit elaborate and extreme, then that would be almost criminal by the 49ers top execs.  Maybe Kaep was just playing through the pain since week 4.  But what was his excuse the prior year and a half?

I didn't realize he was injured, NO ONE talked about it.  I can't imagine he's being forced to have a surgery as cover for being benched permanently, but I guess you never know with this 49ers organization.  When Gabbert fails (starting tomorrow, of course), it's gonna be really funny to see Tunaface and his 'superiors' trying to back-talk their way out of it.  Guess we have a future with Dylan Thompson (whoever the fuck that is) to look forward to.

Ironically, I don't feel bad for Kaep at all.  Harbaugh put his faith in Kaep, Harbaugh set up an offense around him that worked, and what did Kaep do?  He bad mouthed him the second they lost a couple O-linemen and the scheme faultered, and my guess is he's part of the reason Harbaugh was dismissed a year early.  Well, how's that working out for you now Kaep?  I look forward to seeing you ride the bench as a 3rd string QB for the rest of your assuredly short NFL career.  Harbaugh made you, you were lucky, and you blew it!

Anyway, if he's really injured, then putting him on IR is the right call, especially if he's having surgery.  But if this is all a charade, which seems a bit elaborate and extreme, then that would be almost criminal by the 49ers top execs.  Maybe Kaep was just playing through the pain since week 4.  But what was his excuse the prior year and a half?

So we don't know if he was really injured since week 4, but looking at the results (W4 17-3 to GB, W5 27-30 to NY, W7 20-7 to SEA amd W8 27-6 to STL... 3 out of 4 blowout) seems to me that they're using him as a scapegoat... If he was injured why did you force him to play (so bad) and then bench him HIDING the injury? Would be easier to say earlier "ok he's injured, we stop him and go with gabbert". Seems to me they first wanted to "test" the backup, and once he won (you idiot, a game don't make a season) they get rid of Kaep...

So we don't know if he was really injured since week 4, but looking at the results (W4 17-3 to GB, W5 27-30 to NY, W7 20-7 to SEA amd W8 27-6 to STL... 3 out of 4 blowout) seems to me that they're using him as a scapegoat... If he was injured why did you force him to play (so bad) and then bench him HIDING the injury? Would be easier to say earlier "ok he's injured, we stop him and go with gabbert". Seems to me they first wanted to "test" the backup, and once he won (you idiot, a game don't make a season) they get rid of Kaep...

They're definitely using him as a scapegoat.  Idiot York got up in front of the world and put his faith in Kaep, saying he was the future, and ditched Harbaugh, and he backed the wrong horse.  He now needs to take the focus off his terrible decisions and is placing the blame solely on Kaep.  Fucking Gabbert is not the future.  He's so not.  He's terrible, and it will show the second defenses figure him out.  He will not adapt, and neither will the 49ers piss poor coaching staff.  I'm fairly certain Seattle's D will dismantle Gabbert, and the back-pedaling will begin.  I may be wrong, but with Kaep on IR and Gabbert's near-assured collapse imminent, I fully expect to see this Thompson kid well before the season ends.  Hopefully he'll be a bigger thinker than the 49ers front office, cause the organization could really use someone with a brain right about now.

Wow I can't believe they killed the Redskins/Panthers game to show the Cowboys/Dolphins game.

Wtf I know the Redskins had some shit luck and seemed to be throwing the game away but killing the game in the 3rd quarter?

I can still see the game here. But your right they the gave away the game. The score should be more along the lines of 21-28 right now. 

I can still see the game here. But your right they the gave away the game. The score should be more along the lines of 21-28 right now. 

Too many friggin penalties this year I think. Seriously holding should not be something a player does. And when they get mad at the call it's like you knew wtf you were doing...you don't grab and hold something without noticing it. Also...the Redskins having that TD overturned for the "high hit" was kinda lame. Even the commentators said a few years ago that would have been an incredible play. 

I've never seen a game killed in the 3rd quarter though. Seen it happen with 4th quarter blowouts with maybe a couple minutes left but not the way it was done tonight.

Wow I can't believe they killed the Redskins/Panthers game to show the Cowboys/Dolphins game.

Wtf I know the Redskins had some shit luck and seemed to be throwing the game away but killing the game in the 3rd quarter?

It's not a close game, so Fox affiliates outside of Washington's and Carolina's territory aren't obliged to stick with the game if there's a more competitive alternative.  Fox5NY stuck with Washington-N'Orleans last week to the final snap and I suspect a ton of people switched the game off as a result.

There are competitive alternatives this week.  For that matter, there were competitive alternatives last week.

Since Houston-Jets isn't a wonderful game -- and I'm a Jets fan -- I'm just as glad to have a decent game as my alternate.

I've never seen a game killed in the 3rd quarter though. Seen it happen with 4th quarter blowouts with maybe a couple minutes left but not the way it was done tonight.

I can't say with any certainty that I've seen networks switch the game over in the 3rd vs the 4th, but I have seen it plenty of times.  I wasn't watching any of the 10am games, so I don't know when Carolina started pounding the 'Skins, but Fox has always had their nose up the Cowgirls ass, so I'm not surprised they switched to that game.  Chances are if Dallas wasn't playing, they wouldn't have switched as early or maybe even at all.

Hey thats why you need to take my advice. The Panthers will lose.. soon. But make sure you always pick New England to win. There is 2 free wins for you. When you win I am entitled to 25% of the winnings. Just let me know when you win and I will tell you my preferred payment method. 

I'm starting to think the Panthers, while not as good as the Pats, are no doubt the NFC front-runner, so who knows... I can't imagine them not losing, but watching the highlights from today's game... I mean wow, every week they seem to get it done in a completely different way.  If they did make it to the SB against the Pats, the weather conditions would slightly favor them as early Feb is freezing and snowy in NE, but out here in CA, it'll probably be 70 degrees with at worst a light sprinkle, just like Carolina is used to half the year.  Would be quite the interesting match-up.

EDIT:

Hey guys, remember that Seattle-Cards game a couple years ago where the hawks won like 58-0?  Well, get ready to see the same today against the 49ers!  Already shaking my head at how bad the 49ers D is playing, plus the offense is relying on Blaine frickin' Gabbert.

Edited by Matto_lsi

I can't say with any certainty that I've seen networks switch the game over in the 3rd vs the 4th, but I have seen it plenty of times.  I wasn't watching any of the 10am games, so I don't know when Carolina started pounding the 'Skins, but Fox has always had their nose up the Cowgirls ass, so I'm not surprised they switched to that game.  Chances are if Dallas wasn't playing, they wouldn't have switched as early or maybe even at all.

I'm starting to think the Panthers, while not as good as the Pats, are no doubt the NFC front-runner, so who knows... I can't imagine them not losing, but watching the highlights from today's game... I mean wow, every week they seem to get it done in a completely different way.  If they did make it to the SB against the Pats, the weather conditions would slightly favor them as early Feb is freezing and snowy in NE, but out here in CA, it'll probably be 70 degrees with at worst a light sprinkle, just like Carolina is used to half the year.  Would be quite the interesting match-up.

EDIT:

Hey guys, remember that Seattle-Cards game a couple years ago where the hawks won like 58-0?  Well, get ready to see the same today against the 49ers!  Already shaking my head at how bad the 49ers D is playing, plus the offense is relying on Blaine frickin' Gabbert.

I can't watch the Seattle vs. 49er game man. Its a shame to see a team once so dominant suck so bad. They lost every single player that made them special. Navorro Bowman is literally the only player on that team who is actually worth something. Anytime Seattle's offensive looks this good, you know there is a serious problem. 

I can't watch the Seattle vs. 49er game man. Its a shame to see a team once so dominant suck so bad. They lost every single player that made them special. Navorro Bowman is literally the only player on that team who is actually worth something. Anytime Seattle's offensive looks this good, you know there is a serious problem. 

seeeeeeeeeriouuuuuuuuuuuus  problem.  

One thing of note though, Along side Graham, people around here have been actually hoping to see more of Rawls.  There's about a zero percent chance that Lynch will be on the roster next year and Rawls needs to get out on the field more if he's going to be the guy to replace him.  His style is similar and he's already had a couple of breakout performances this year (albeit against the Bears and 9ers so take that as you will).  So far, I'm a lot more comfortable thinking about Rawls running the ball when Lynch's gone than I was when they were wasting time trying to prep Michael. 

One thing of note though, Along side Graham, people around here have been actually hoping to see more of Rawls.  There's about a zero percent chance that Lynch will be on the roster next year and Rawls needs to get out on the field more if he's going to be the guy to replace him.  His style is similar and he's already had a couple of breakout performances this year (albeit against the Bears and 9ers so take that as you will).  So far, I'm a lot more comfortable thinking about Rawls running the ball when Lynch's gone than I was when they were wasting time trying to prep Michael. 

I like Rawls as well but he is questionable as of yet. I was honestly impressed with my Packers' performance today. They played okay offensively and made stops on defense. As of right now it looks like Carolina, Arizona, and Green Bay are in the running for best NFC team. I am really looking forward to Dallas vs Carolina this Thursday. Like it or not the Cowboys are a threat and I could see them stopping this Panthers roll. Unfortunately the game is in Dallas though. The Cowboys are well known for choking at home. I would feel much better with Dallas winning if they were playing in Carolina. 

So Lithium how'd that redskins pick go :P

And Romo back and we win :yay:

Also wow Winston with 5td's in a rout of the Eagles

I was wrong. But to be fair the games final score looks a lot worse than it technically was, at least for the first half. The game should have been around 21-28 at the end of the third quarter. The Redskins literally threw away the game, which is not surprising. They also got called on a debatable penalty that brought a touchdown. My point is that the final score made the game look a lot worse than it was. 

I like Rawls as well but he is questionable as of yet. I was honestly impressed with my Packers' performance today. They played okay offensively and made stops on defense. As of right now it looks like Carolina, Arizona, and Green Bay are in the running for best NFC team. I am really looking forward to Dallas vs Carolina this Thursday. Like it or not the Cowboys are a threat and I could see them stopping this Panthers roll. Unfortunately the game is in Dallas though. The Cowboys are well known for choking at home. I would feel much better with Dallas winning if they were playing in Carolina. 

Yeah, Romo is technically undefeated this season, and if you remember a few years back when Brees and the Saints were 13-0 they rolled into Dallas (or was it at home?) and Dallas straight up beat them.  Also Romo put up around 50 on the Broncos 2 years ago.  He also plays up against good teams, so Carolina better take this one seriously or you may be right about them going home with a 1 in the L column.

Yeah, the 49ers D looked like ass.  They definitely lost a lot of really good players, but that's not the only problem.  I think a lot of 49ers have given up on the coaches.  The coaching staff is just awful, and the front office is shit.  When you work for idiots, all you want to do is leave.  I mean VD went to the Broncos cause he just wanted out.  Looney is now a starter in Tennessee cause he wasn't getting play time in SF.  So it's not just who we lost in the off-season, cause people are still jumping ship.  Also, those are offensive players, so they don't affect the D.  The D is playing fast, they just aren't tackling well.  That was the biggest problem against Seattle, but a close second was that the defensive scheme just isn't working.  The D coordinator is a moron and hasn't called a game properly all season.  I really don't understand what he thinks will happen calling the most predictable plays.  The O coordinator is doing the same thing.  I was just sitting there watching them come to the line saying to myself 'hand-off to the RB up the middle', 'slant route up the seam', 'RB screen to the right', and every time that's what they did.  If I'm calling it from my couch, you better believe the hawks D had it figured out too.  It all starts with coaching, that's why Alex Smith looked like shit till Harbaugh came in and why Kaep was in a scheme that worked to his strengths until Harbaugh left.  Now you have a reject coaching the D, an unproven d coach heading up the team, and a guy who couldn't get a job anywhere else coaching the O.

I don't think Seattle will look as good next week, but a home game vs Pit (especially if Rapestburger is out) could still be a W.  The following week in Minnesota on the other hand might not go as well for them, but the Vikes are still a coin-toss, I think.

I was wrong. But to be fair the games final score looks a lot worse than it technically was, at least for the first half. The game should have been around 21-28 at the end of the third quarter. The Redskins literally threw away the game, which is not surprising. They also got called on a debatable penalty that brought a touchdown. My point is that the final score made the game look a lot worse than it was. 

Also it was the 'Skins... but if you pick against Carolina next week, I think that's a fair pick vs Dallas at home.

I wish I could say how surprised I am at how shitty the Jets have been for a month now, but I'm not:  the Jets have a history of doing this to their fans.  And if it weren't fun enough in Florham Park, the rumblings of a quarterback controversy are growing, something that should NEVER happen when the alternative is Geno Smith.

And sad as all this is, the Jets are still in pretty decent shape for a playoff berth.  Yeah, the Jets did themselves no favors by throwing away another potential tiebreak -- they've lost to Buffalo, Oakland, and Houston just this month alone -- but they're only a game back of Pittsburgh and tied with Houston/Indy/KC and Buffalo probably gets massacred tomorrow night.  And the schedule is still halfway friendly to the Jets: they play their next three at MetLife Stadium (Miami, @Giants, Tennessee) and who knows if New England will have anything to play for come Week 16?

I'm just waiting for Jets-Bills (Week 17) to have the 2nd Wild Card on the line so Rex Ryan can kick his old team in the teeth once more this season.

I wish I could say how surprised I am at how shitty the Jets have been for a month now, but I'm not:  the Jets have a history of doing this to their fans.  And if it weren't fun enough in Florham Park, the rumblings of a quarterback controversy are growing, something that should NEVER happen when the alternative is Geno Smith.

And sad as all this is, the Jets are still in pretty decent shape for a playoff berth.  Yeah, the Jets did themselves no favors by throwing away another potential tiebreak -- they've lost to Buffalo, Oakland, and Houston just this month alone -- but they're only a game back of Pittsburgh and tied with Houston/Indy/KC and Buffalo probably gets massacred tomorrow night.  And the schedule is still halfway friendly to the Jets: they play their next three at MetLife Stadium (Miami, @Giants, Tennessee) and who knows if New England will have anything to play for come Week 16?

I'm just waiting for Jets-Bills (Week 17) to have the 2nd Wild Card on the line so Rex Ryan can kick his old team in the teeth once more this season.

This is never a thing with NE, especially if they are undefeated.  Back in 07 they were 15-0 coming into NY and they played all their starters to the end to remain undefeated.  Brady and Belichick are way too egotistical to phone it in.  So even if they are a clear #1 with nothing to lose, don't for a second think they won't leave their starters in to grab another win.

I still believe the Jets will get the 6th seed in the AFC. Their defense has been consistent all year, they just need a little bit more offensive output. Like you said the Bills will probably get raped tomorrow night, so both the Bills and Jets will still be 5-5. Hopefully the wildcard spot does come down to the Bills and Jets game week 17. That would be pretty epic. 

This is never a thing with NE, especially if they are undefeated.  Back in 07 they were 15-0 coming into NY and they played all their starters to the end to remain undefeated.  Brady and Belichick are way too egotistical to phone it in.  So even if they are a clear #1 with nothing to lose, don't for a second think they won't leave their starters in to grab another win.

I know Belichick's history, but you're looking at a team that's already somewhat banged up and has a guy in Gronkowski who has been very injury-prone throughout his career.  If the ring is the thing for the Pats, they might not play certain guys or play them for very long.  Going 16-0 and suffering an injury that ends their title dreams isn't something they're likely to do.

I could see a Patriots team that comes into MetLife at 14-0 with everything clinched sitting Gronkowski, sitting Brady for most of the game, maybe sitting an RB, maybe sitting Amendola.... not that the remaining guys would be pushovers, but they wouldn't be a powerhouse, either.  We saw the Pats lose the Super Bowl in 2011 in part because Gronk was a pale shadow of himself.

I'm sure that Belichick would take 19-0 if it's on the table, but if you force him to prioritize the record or the title, he'll take the title every time.

I know Belichick's history, but you're looking at a team that's already somewhat banged up and has a guy in Gronkowski who has been very injury-prone throughout his career.  If the ring is the thing for the Pats, they might not play certain guys or play them for very long.  Going 16-0 and suffering an injury that ends their title dreams isn't something they're likely to do.

I could see a Patriots team that comes into MetLife at 14-0 with everything clinched sitting Gronkowski, sitting Brady for most of the game, maybe sitting an RB, maybe sitting Amendola.... not that the remaining guys would be pushovers, but they wouldn't be a powerhouse, either.  We saw the Pats lose the Super Bowl in 2011 in part because Gronk was a pale shadow of himself.

I'm sure that Belichick would take 19-0 if it's on the table, but if you force him to prioritize the record or the title, he'll take the title every time.

Belichick has done this multiple times before, including the SB season where their only loss was to the Giants.  In 2009 he played all his starters in Week 17 trying to win when he was already guaranteed a playoff birth.  On top of that, no matter the result of that weekends games, the Pats were going to be 3rd or 4th and have a game at home, and it's arguable that if they had been 4th instead of third and played the Jets instead of the Ravens, they wouldn't have been knocked out in the wildcard round.  Instead they lost Welker for the season in Week 17 to a torn ACL/MCL, which probably had a big impact on that wildcard game.

Now I can't predict what the end of the season will look like or who will play in the last few weeks, but most coaches who have secured home field advantage throughout the playoffs will begin resting players.  Belichick proved he won't multiple times, including 2007.  Belichick has also proved he'll risk high value players in throwaway games for absolutely no reason, like when Welker got hurt.  So honestly, even if the Pats were 14-1, so the perfect season was over, and they went into week 17 with nothing to play for, I'm confident that his ego, as well as Brady's, would lead to all the starters playing, regardless of previous injuries this season and prior as examples of why not to do that.  Ego is a crazy thing that forces you to make stupid decisions all the time, and there's no lack of it in New England.