National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

.... and the Jets just won a game they had no business winning.  If NFL games ended at the two-minute warning of the second half, the Giants would be 10-2 right now.  Instead, they botched this one including a head-scratcher of a call to go for it on 4th-and-2 inside the Jets 5 with eight minutes to play and a 20-10 lead.  Kick a Field Goal there and you've got (virtually) a two TD lead.  Instead, the Giants got nothing, the Jets marched down the field to cut it to 7, and they tied it in the closing seconds.

I won't gloat about this in front of my friends and co-workers, who are Giants fans almost to a man.  But I need to get snarky stats like the Giants blowing ANOTHER late lead off my chest somewhere and you guys are it.

I just wonder if today's game is the one that finally gets Tom Coughlin fired.

Now this might be considered crazy, but since Gabbert started the 49ers, he's been playing really well, so is it crazy to think he could be there starting qb for next season?

I'll defer to Matto_Isi for a detailed answer, but from this non-partisan corner?  Blaine Gabbert is not a long-term answer for the 49ers and maybe not even a short-term one.  I suspect they'll look to draft "the next guy" in the draft next year, perhaps in the 1st round.

Now this might be considered crazy, but since Gabbert started the 49ers, he's been playing really well, so is it crazy to think he could be there starting qb for next season?

P.s after Titans win, Browns now in #1 position for the draft

No doubt, unless he gets hurt.  Kaep's been out of consideration since early in the season, and chances are they'll trade him away in the off-season to save some salary cap money and bring in a new young QB in the draft (or at least that's what I'd do).

With that said, WTF were the Bears thinking leaving Torrey Smith wide open 50 yards down the field?  I mean, I'll take the win, but jesus, really?  Unbelievable.

I'll defer to Matto_Isi for a detailed answer, but from this non-partisan corner?  Blaine Gabbert is not a long-term answer for the 49ers and maybe not even a short-term one.  I suspect they'll look to draft "the next guy" in the draft next year, perhaps in the 1st round.

I personally don't like Gabbert as the QB, he seems just as erratic as Kaep, but we don't have a large enough sample size to point to yet, and of course the only stat coaches care about, he's winning games.  But the thing is, York and company are incredibly stupid, and I'm sure they'll get rid of Kaep in the off-season, which means they can draft a young QB and hopefully train him up next season as a replacement to Gabbert when he inevitably shows his true colors.  We'll see though, if the Niners keep winning, I'll bet they keep Tunaface around as head coach, which is just dumb.  The guy can't even count to 3 (Cards game last week) and today he didn't even know the touchback rules.  I mean seriously?  He's supposed to be the man in charge and I knew that was a touchback and not a safety (and he thought it was the Niners ball on the 3 yard line... what?!?!).  What a joke of a coach.

You guys played well. You deserved the win. I am actually happy you won since my Packers now lead the NFC North. But they ran Adrian Peterson 8 times? 8? Really? The best running back in football? The team with the #1 rushing attack in football ran a total of 12 times? That is a damn disgrace to be honest. Im not sure who the hell is calling plays in Minnesota, but they should be fired immediately. It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game but I am beyond pissed. It reminded me of week 1 when the Vikings got blown the hell out vs. San Francisco.  

They were down 14 so quickly that they kind of had no choice but to start trying to throw the ball.  That's the major downside of having such a one dimensional offense.

Its happening now boys. Carolina won't be undefeated by the end of the day. 

13 to 16, doesn't look open and shut yet, it's only halftime.

Though I'm not watching the game and NFL.com says it wasn't a safety, so how the hell did the Saints score 2 points?  Did they return a conversion and is that really 2 points for them?  If so, never heard of that before...

13 to 16, doesn't look open and shut yet, it's only halftime.

Though I'm not watching the game and NFL.com says it wasn't a safety, so how the hell did the Saints score 2 points?  Did they return a conversion and is that really 2 points for them?  If so, never heard of that before...

Yep they blocked an extra point and ran it back. Its a new rule. Its the first time it actually happened so far. 

Side Note. Patriots are down by 21 with 11:00 minutes left. I won't say its over yet, but it looks  bad right now. 

No doubt, unless he gets hurt.  Kaep's been out of consideration since early in the season, and chances are they'll trade him away in the off-season to save some salary cap money and bring in a new young QB in the draft (or at least that's what I'd do).

With that said, WTF were the Bears thinking leaving Torrey Smith wide open 50 yards down the field?  I mean, I'll take the win, but jesus, really?  Unbelievable.

I personally don't like Gabbert as the QB, he seems just as erratic as Kaep, but we don't have a large enough sample size to point to yet, and of course the only stat coaches care about, he's winning games.  But the thing is, York and company are incredibly stupid, and I'm sure they'll get rid of Kaep in the off-season, which means they can draft a young QB and hopefully train him up next season as a replacement to Gabbert when he inevitably shows his true colors.  We'll see though, if the Niners keep winning, I'll bet they keep Tunaface around as head coach, which is just dumb.  The guy can't even count to 3 (Cards game last week) and today he didn't even know the touchback rules.  I mean seriously?  He's supposed to be the man in charge and I knew that was a touchback and not a safety (and he thought it was the Niners ball on the 3 yard line... what?!?!).  What a joke of a coach.

Woah man when I saw that 74 yard kick return I tough we were f***ed up again... Poor Gabbert he did everything to keep up the team and blown away that way. Instead thanks to 2-time miss FG went to overtime...

Now, Fox should fire his kicker, can't lose a game that way...

And sure stupid York will try to trade Kaep and go on with Gabbert as long as he can, hope he and Baalke don't draft a mediocre QB instead of a good one...

Adding, he will keep stupid Tunaface running the team, when he challenged the team I was like "what the hell are you doing?!?"... Yeah, he can't count, he can't call a play, he can't challenge... what a dumb!

Wow, so much just happened.

Carolina is still undefeated, clinched the division, and 99% chance they just clinched a 1st round by.

Pats lose to the Eagles?!?! Seriously?  Wow, meaning that the Broncos and Bengals are now #1 & #2 in the AFC, and due to tiebreaker rules, Pats are #3.  High-larious.

On the point above, Bengals and Broncos take over first 2 spots, and despite having to play each other later in the year, if both win their other 3 games, the Pats will not have home filed advantage throughout the playoffs.

And lastly... the Eagles??!?  Seriously?!?!?  This game was at home for the Pats... IN NEW ENGLAND... and it was the Eagles...  I still can't get over that.

...3 times.  How does an officiating crew allow 12 guys in the huddle 3 times without noticing.  After Payton's fit the 2nd time they missed it thought there'd be no way the Panthers could get away with it again.  Guess I overestimated how inept the officiating is this year.  Blown calls I can forgive... to a point.  The rule book is way to thick and the game moves at a fast pace but now they're screwing up things that only take 2 eyes and the ability to count, nothing more.  Just go 1-2-3-4 until you reach 11, if there's another guy you haven't counted then there you go.

Saw the 1st quarter of the Pats/Eagles game. Had to go out and missed the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

lol suffice to say the score surprised me when I got back...to me it seemed like the Pats blew opportunities left and right but as I missed half the game I can't say for certain why they lost. I was told the Eagles just overall played better.

Wow, so much just happened.

Carolina is still undefeated, clinched the division, and 99% chance they just clinched a 1st round by.

Pats lose to the Eagles?!?! Seriously?  Wow, meaning that the Broncos and Bengals are now #1 & #2 in the AFC, and due to tiebreaker rules, Pats are #3.  High-larious.

On the point above, Bengals and Broncos take over first 2 spots, and despite having to play each other later in the year, if both win their other 3 games, the Pats will not have home filed advantage throughout the playoffs.

And lastly... the Eagles??!?  Seriously?!?!?  This game was at home for the Pats... IN NEW ENGLAND... and it was the Eagles...  I still can't get over that.

Tom Brady threw some bad passes. There was also a punt return for Philly. Philly actually played good for once while the Pats didn't until about the 52 minute mark. The Eagles actually almost lost the game but on the final drive there were 3 drops in a row by Patriot receivers. If there was a drive they ever need Gronkowski or Edelman. That was it. Pats may still get home field. I see the Pittsburgh Steelers providing quite the challenge for both Denver and Cincinnati. We will see. 

Tom Brady threw some bad passes. There was also a punt return for Philly. Philly actually played good for once while the Pats didn't until about the 52 minute mark. The Eagles actually almost lost the game but on the final drive there were 3 drops in a row by Patriot receivers. If there was a drive they ever need Gronkowski or Edelman. That was it. Pats may still get home field. I see the Pittsburgh Steelers providing quite the challenge for both Denver and Cincinnati. We will see. 

Could easily happen, but since the tiebreaker goes to the Broncos (and not sure why Bengals are on top, will have to check tiebreaker rules), at this point the Pats would have to win out and hope for the Broncos to lose.  The term coined a lot in December in the NFL is 'they don't control their own destiny', which is true, at least at this point.  We'll see which Bengals and Broncos teams we get from here out.  Will it be the Cincy vs Houston Bengals, or the team we saw today against the Browns.  And for Denver, will it be the team that knocked off the Pats, or the team that played against the Chiefs.  Keep in mind that Manning will be back in the next week or two, so who knows how that affects things.  Manning is a football god, but he's been quite bad this year...

Could easily happen, but since the tiebreaker goes to the Broncos (and not sure why Bengals are on top, will have to check tiebreaker rules), at this point the Pats would have to win out and hope for the Broncos to lose.  The term coined a lot in December in the NFL is 'they don't control their own destiny', which is true, at least at this point.  We'll see which Bengals and Broncos teams we get from here out.  Will it be the Cincy vs Houston Bengals, or the team we saw today against the Browns.  And for Denver, will it be the team that knocked off the Pats, or the team that played against the Chiefs.  Keep in mind that Manning will be back in the next week or two, so who knows how that affects things.  Manning is a football god, but he's been quite bad this year...

Its strange because I believe Denver has a much greater chance of losing to the Steelers than the Bengals, but are to me large favorites vs. the Bengals. Plus we can't forget the Bengals are something like 4-15 in prime time games with Andy Dalton, which also plays in Denver's favor for their matchup. I could see them both losing 1 more for sure, but yeah New England would need to win them all. 

Its strange because I believe Denver has a much greater chance of losing to the Steelers than the Bengals, but are to me large favorites vs. the Bengals. Plus we can't forget the Bengals are something like 4-15 in prime time games with Andy Dalton, which also plays in Denver's favor for their matchup. I could see them both losing 1 more for sure, but yeah New England would need to win them all. 

Granted NE has some injuries, but if they're dropping games to teams like Philly just cause Gronk and Edelman are out, what happens when they face a good team in the playoffs?  At this point, even healthy, I feel like teams like Carolina, Seattle, Denver, Cincy, Arizona, Pittsburgh, and even KC would have a good shot at beating them on neutral ground.  The way things stand currently, most of those potential match-ups would be either away or neutral (SB).  Teams like the Giants and Bills provided a good formula to beat a healthy Pats team.  They don't look as untouchable as they did this time last month after 2 close calls and 2 consecutive losses.  With Texans, Jes, and Fins, all away games, remaining on their schedule, they could drop 1, 2 or even 3 of those.  More than likely they drop none, but they could.  Imagine if the Pats went into the post-season as a wildcard after starting 10-0.  Reminds me of the one and done Chiefs from a few years back (they were 9-0, then lost like 5 or 6 of their remaining games).

Speaking of the Colts game, don't count them out yet.  They have the undefeated Hasselback in there, so you never know, lol.  Go Colts!

Edit: Lol, the Pit fans are yelling 'Heath' even though the tight end is James.  Not the brightest fans over in PA...

Edited by Matto_lsi

Granted NE has some injuries, but if they're dropping games to teams like Philly just cause Gronk and Edelman are out, what happens when they face a good team in the playoffs?  At this point, even healthy, I feel like teams like Carolina, Seattle, Denver, Cincy, Arizona, Pittsburgh, and even KC would have a good shot at beating them on neutral ground.  The way things stand currently, most of those potential match-ups would be either away or neutral (SB).  Teams like the Giants and Bills provided a good formula to beat a healthy Pats team.  They don't look as untouchable as they did this time last month after 2 close calls and 2 consecutive losses.  With Texans, Jes, and Fins, all away games, remaining on their schedule, they could drop 1, 2 or even 3 of those.  More than likely they drop none, but they could.  Imagine if the Pats went into the post-season as a wildcard after starting 10-0.  Reminds me of the one and done Chiefs from a few years back (they were 9-0, then lost like 5 or 6 of their remaining games).

Speaking of the Colts game, don't count them out yet.  They have the undefeated Hasselback in there, so you never know, lol.  Go Colts!

First of all the Philly loss was literally based solely on 2 things. Shitty special teams and Brandon Lafell's ineptitude at the wide receiver position. He drops everything.. I am not exaggerating. He dropped a pass on the final drive, which possibly would have been a touchdown and he didn't run the right route in the end zone earlier in the game with gave an interception to Philadelphia. There was a returned punt for a td and a blocked punt for a td by Philly. The only reason I mentioned Gronk and Edelman is because when they were in a position to tie and when they needed them most-when going for their 3rd touchdown in 8 minutes, they didn't have them. I honestly believe they would have pulled off the miraculous comeback even if they had one of those players. The point I am trying to make is that this squad, when healthy, is going to be the hardest team to stop in football. Even if they get a 3rd seed in the AFC and go to the road (Which I doubt), I still like their chances in the AFC. Cincinnati still hasn't proven they can win a playoff game and Denver is also known to play lackluster football in the postseason as of late. The Patriots on the other hand only step up their game in the playoffs, which is why they prove to be such a threat every year. We both know that immediately once we begin talking about how New England is weak, they will go on another roll. Over my fifteen years of watching football I know to never, ever, ever count New England out, they are still beyond dangerous at this point. The Panthers on the other hand, they are a force to be reckoned with. But.... If they get matched up with a team like Seattle in the playoffs they are going to have a serious and potentially fatal problem on their hands. 

Edit: After watching Pittsburgh play tonight the Broncos and Bengals are in ALOT of trouble. 

Edited by Lithium_Lemon

Edit: Lol, the Pit fans are yelling 'Heath' even though the tight end is James.  Not the brightest fans over in PA...

We just love to yell "Heath", I have no idea why.

No idea who to cheer for on Thursday.  My logical side wants Arizona to win so Seattle can have a pretty strong chance at the 5 seed but the passionate side kind of wants AP and the Vikes to come in pissed, take care of business, followed by the Eagles having another fluke win, then Green Bay going to town on them so the final game (assuming Seattle beats the Ravens, Browns, and Rams) can be for the division.  After getting the #1 seed for the past couple of years I think I'd almost like to see if Seattle can go on the road and get it done.  Like I said before, with the exception of Green Bay, all the teams they'd play are teams they've gone to and beat within the last couple/few years so it could happen.