How pointless is gaming as a hobby?

Dreakon139

I've loved games for as long as I can remember. I spent almost every night one summer (many years ago) playing through Legend of Zelda on my Gameboy. I've owned almost every console from every generation at some time or another (I think the Genesis and Saturn are the only two I never had)...

Lately though video games (and especially trophy/achievement hunting) have felt so pointless. You could say the same about TV, movies and music... but those have been pretty much cut out of my life at this point (outside of background noise as I get up in the morning or to make work/exercise less boring). On their own though, what are they accomplishing?

I've felt what it's like to just burn myself out on games, but I've never felt like this before. I'm not just bored of them. I'm literally questioning what function they serve in my life... and I don't have a ton to answer with. Even if they are just "fun", what good is fun with nothing to show for it? We all know that our trophies could be gone in a second should PSN go down. It's not helping me develop a trade. It's not making me less pathetic physically or mentally.

I have a nice job (which is more or less developing the trade I mentioned earlier), friends I see every so often (as well as game with from time to time), a loving family and a fairly rigorous exercise routine... why do I feel like my downtime/video games should be more productive? Why does "fun" not feel like enough?

On the one hand, I feel like this is a sign that I should throw in the towel. Maybe my time as a gamer is up.

On the other, I really want to enjoy gaming again. I like being a gamer. Maybe it's something about this generation that's a huge turn off (I've been considering ditching the current gen consoles and just playing through some old Dreamcast games for the duration, though my living room isn't really well suited for short wired controllers). Maybe it's just my brain.

Not sure. I just needed to vent really, agree with me or disagree as you see fit. I think I'm just hoping someone says something that makes so much sense I snap out of this funk I'm in.

How pointless is gaming as a hobby?

• Like 1

Honestly, coming from a 15 year old who has nothing to really do, I was starting to question that myself. While I do find some titles to be enjoyable and fantastic, gaming is starting to feel like a time passer and a drag. I actually rarely buy games anymore and the ones I do buy are ones that I really want or are from a company I love, Bioware, Naughty Dog, etc. My PS3 has gone from a gaming system now to a Blu-Ray player and I mostly just watch some Films/TV shows on it. The platinums I do have feel somewhat pointless as getting all the trophies in a game doesn't really mean you liked it or you mastered it (except for Uncharted which I feel I mastered). Now, the plats I am obtaining are at a slow pace and doing it with games I enjoy, such as Infamous 2. I'm not going to lie, I'll still go on my PS3 but what I mostly do on it now is chat with some friends. I've met some really great people on PSN and trophy websites and are glad to call friends.

I honestly don't feel like you should throw in the towel due to the fact that there are going to be some games from time to time that actually make you want to put some time into completion and stuff. I also have to agree with you that TV (as in Satelite, Cable, etc.) is cut out of my life and the only time I really do watch it is if a show, for example Breaking Bad, is on.

I have recently been questioning myself about gaming, and honestly, I just don't get the same buzz out of it compared to when I was younger.

I don't really consider gaming a hobby personally. A hobby in my opinion is something that you have fun doing, but you also get a sense of challenge, self worth, accomplishment and most importantly, improvement out of doing it. I don't really get any of those feelings when I'm gaming. Yes, I feel quite accomplished when I come first in a race online on Dirt 3 or finish a hard quest on Fallout 3, but the feeling wears off when I remember that it's just a game. The same goes for trophies, nobody outside the trophy hunting community gives a fuck about them, so why should I?

Games can be challenging occasionally, but I feel that today's gaming market has shifted too much in terms of its audience, which appears to be children. There are far to many assists in modern gaming titles and I can beat a large percentage of my games in under a week. Back in the 90's most games were developed to not be completed, that just isn't the case any more.

Self worth? No. I don't get any whatsoever when gaming, if anything I feel that I am wasting time that could be spent doing more beneficial things, like going to the gym or playing football. Improvement doesn't really happen either. I used to suck at games, now I am good at them. I can't really improve any more on that. Also, considering how most games play out the same in terms of difficulty, it's hard not to understand why. I never finished Modern Warfare on veteran because I found it hard. After finishing Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops on veteran, I was able to breeze through it with no problems at all. Says a lot doesn't it? And the same rule of thumb applies to every game series, Battlefield, Killzone, Fallout, Assassin's Creed, even Sonic the Hedgehog.

Gaming is something to do in your spare time, I spend most of the day on my consoles. Maybe I just need a break for a while. I'm not sure.

I have recently been questioning myself about gaming, and honestly, I just don't get the same buzz out of it compared to when I was younger.

I don't really consider gaming a hobby personally. A hobby in my opinion is something that you have fun doing, but you also get a sense of challenge, self worth, accomplishment and most importantly, improvement out of doing it. I don't really get any of those feelings when I'm gaming. Yes, I feel quite accomplished when I come first in a race online on Dirt 3 or finish a hard quest on Fallout 3, but the feeling wears off when I remember that it's just a game. The same goes for trophies, nobody outside the trophy hunting community gives a fuck about them, so why should I?

Games can be challenging occasionally, but I feel that today's gaming market has shifted too much in terms of its audience, which appears to be children. There are far to many assists in modern gaming titles and I can beat a large percentage of my games in under a week. Back in the 90's most games were developed to not be completed, that just isn't the case any more.

Self worth? No. I don't get any whatsoever when gaming, if anything I feel that I am wasting time that could be spent doing more beneficial things, like going to the gym or playing football. Improvement doesn't really happen either. I used to suck at games, now I am good at them. I can't really improve any more on that. Also, considering how most games play out the same in terms of difficulty, it's hard not to understand why. I never finished Modern Warfare on veteran because I found it hard. After finishing Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops on veteran, I was able to breeze through it with no problems at all. Says a lot doesn't it? And the same rule of thumb applies to every game series, Battlefield, Killzone, Fallout, Assassin's Creed, even Sonic the Hedgehog.

Gaming is something to do in your spare time, I spend most of the day on my consoles. Maybe I just need a break for a while. I'm not sure.

Same can be said for any hobby, though. Not just gaming. Stamp collecting, sports, gaming - it's all fairly pointless if you don't enjoy it or get anything out of it.

If it's the only thing you really do - of course you'll get burned out on it. Especially if it brings nothing to you.

• Like 1

Maybe its a sign that your starting outgrow gaming as a hobby and starting thinking that you can do other things you have never done before besides gaming. Gaming isn't pointless, its just that when we reached a certain point in our life we feel like we want to branch out and do something different.

• Like 1

Same can be said for any hobby, though. Not just gaming. Stamp collecting, sports, gaming - it's all fairly pointless if you don't enjoy it or get anything out of it.

If it's the only thing you really do - of course you'll get burned out on it. Especially if it brings nothing to you.

Thinking about it now, I am mostly lacking variety. I expect if I turn my focus on something different for a while I will get the urge to pick up the controller again. But you can never be certain.

Like Fox said, just about any hobby is "pointless" to an extent. If you aren't getting enjoyment out a hobby, why do said hobby? If you still want to enjoy gaming, I'd suggest like you said maybe playing a different generation/console or try a completely new hobby. Once the enjoyment is gone, it isn't a hobby it's a chore.

I would at first say that it is like any hobby and I agree with this. But to take Dreakon's point, My father-in-law uses carpentry as a hobby. He builds stuff in his spare time just because he enjoys doing it. He has built alot of the furniture in my house. Out of that you could say that his hobby has obvious physical results that everyone can relate to and appreciate.

Gaming as a hobby doesn't exactly have the same result. I do feel that as a hobby it is good to keep your mind focused on doing something. Games definitely keep you thinking and changing your strategies according to which game you play.

I would also like to throw age out there as I believe it is different for me being 37 and for others who are much much younger. I in myself have experienced alot of things outside of gaming which most of the younger crowd has not yet begun to explore so for me the pointlessness of gaming seen is different.

Of course I get burned out from time to time. I think everything in life has a potential for someone to get burned out on it. It's not even about seriously gaming. Do what you feel like you want to do. If gaming is starting to wear on you, don't force yourself. Take a break, go eat some pizza, get a GF or plant a tree.

Gaming funks are normal though. You just need to unplug, get some R&R. How ever long it takes, even if you never come back to games. Just take it for what it is worth to you. Just know if someone breaks out an old ps3 in 10 years and wants to challenge you in some Mortal Kombat or something, secretly you know you can kick their ass and have fun doing it.

Edited by allenbird

I would at first say that it is like any hobby and I agree with this. But to take Dreakon's point, My father-in-law uses carpentry as a hobby. He builds stuff in his spare time just because he enjoys doing it. He has built alot of the furniture in my house. Out of that you could say that his hobby has obvious physical results that everyone can relate to and appreciate.

Gaming as a hobby doesn't exactly have the same result. I do feel that as a hobby it is good to keep your mind focused on doing something. Games definitely keep you thinking and changing your strategies according to which game you play.

I would also like to throw age out there as I believe it is different for me being 37 and for others who are much much younger. I in myself have experienced alot of things outside of gaming which most of the younger crowd has not yet begun to explore so for me the pointlessness of gaming seen is different.

Of course I get burned out from time to time. I think everything in life has a potential for someone to get burned out on it. It's not even about seriously gaming. Do what you feel like you want to do. If gaming is starting to wear on you, don't force yourself. Take a break, go eat some pizza, get a GF or plant a tree.

Gaming funks are normal though. You just need to unplug, get some R&R. How ever long it takes, even if you never come back to games. Just take it for what it is worth to you. Just know if someone breaks out an old ps3 in 10 years and wants to challenge you in some Mortal Kombat or something, secretly you know you can kick their ass and have fun doing it.

First Bold:

I suppose I can kind of agree with that. I'm not sure what the deal is with me though. I've experienced a bit in my life (granted the exciting stuff in relatively short bursts). I've traveled, I've graduated from high school, college. I'm employed full-time in the field I studied in, bringing in a nice salary. I guess I shouldn't put so much pressure on myself to be "productive" in my free time... but shouldn't I?

Second Bold:

Tried that, she left me to live out of hostels in New Zealand lol. I guess the answer would be to get another... but honestly that's really more of a "I only want it because I don't have it" kind of thing. Would rather that come naturally.

Edited by Dreakon139

Gaming is no more or less pointless than any other hobby. I game because I have fun doing it, in the same way that I build engines because I have fun doing it. When I stop having fun, I'll stop the activities completely.

Parker

It's not pointless whatsoever imo. It's something we can do in our own time, something to have time pass us by, something we can even use as an outlet and escape from the real world for a little while. Because of that, I don't believe there's such thing as a "pointless" hobby. If you do it just to do it, or it's something you don't really enjoy, then it wouldn't be much of a hobby.

Is that something you should really want though?

Depends. There are some days where I want a day to be over for a more exciting day to happen. Playing video games allows me to get through the rest of that day without being bored to death. Then again, I do wish that my moment in video games could last for a longer time than it does.

Depends. There are some days where I want a day to be over for a more exciting day to happen. Playing video games allows me to get through the rest of that day without being bored to death. Then again, I do wish that my moment in video games could last for a longer time than it does.

I agree with you. Videogames can help make any day shorter, or any hour feel like 5 minutes :rolleyes:

• Like 1

For me personally,

I've always been a gamer, but I've never let it interfere with my life.

When I was a child, my parents restricted me to weekends,

As I hit my teens and lived with my parents, it was something I did when I wasnt seeing friends,

When the PS1 came out, gaming started to become more "accepted" and less nerdy, and I'd generally play local Multiplayer post pub with everyone round at my place,

As I got older and got more responsibilities, Gaming dropped further down my list

Now I'm in my mid 30's, with the productive life and real life achievements I've obtained, my gaming time is when I unwind and I dont have to think about my next work project and how much income is riding on it / my daugters further education fees / paying the mortgage & bills.

Its that little period of time when I just get to be AF and have fun doing something I enjoy. I (and you) deserve to have that time where we just let go and enjoy just being. that being said, you should also get these releases by just spending time with family, having a beer with friends, or kicking back on a Sunday afternoon with a smoke listening to your favourite album or reading a book.

Trophies and that false sense of achievement has ruined gaming for so many as they believe they have to work for a plat rather than enjoying the game for what it is... a game. (I wont rant too much at this point, as I've spoken about my thoughts on it on many threads.)

At the moment Dreakon, it sounds like there is something more out of life that you want, I say go find it and grab it with both hands, but remember everyone needs down time, and when you need your downtime again, your system(s) and games will be waiting for you.

• Like 2

I feel I should say that I find games fun still, it's just unproductive fun. It's not really a question of "why am I still doing this" but rather "why does anyone".

I can't speak for everyone but i'm not looking for games to bring me a feeling of productivity or a sense of real accomplishment in life, because unless you actually work in the gaming industry or design, create or develop games etc and make your living that way, they won't give you that from simply playing them. All i need from games is to have fun and enjoy them, the day they stop giving me that i'll stop playing them, i know playing games isn't helping me better myself or get somewhere in life but that's ok because i don't look to them for that or expect it, i can get the feeling of being productive from other hobbies such as my art, design and drawing, and even studies and work, and feel satisfied with friends and family.

If you are at the point where fun and enjoyment aren't enough and you're questioning what you have explained above, and you feel like everything including your hobbies need to have a sense of purpose, and make you feel like you're being productive and accomplishing something, then i wouldn't suggest to keep gaming as a hobby because in that regard like many other hobbies, i suppose games are pointless.

Edited by JennifairyW
  • Like 3

I think the biggest problem is the misunderstanding of the term hobby...

an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.

A hobby is not a competition. It's not an attempt for status or achievement. It's supposed to be about relaxation and fun...once someone progresses from video gamer to trophy hunter...they've passed over the hobby line. However, just cause you like collecting trophies does not mean it is no longer a hobby. Nevertheless, once the trophy is the reason behind the gaming, rather than the other way around, you've gone over to the dark side.

Edited by PSXtreme_
  • Like 3

I enjoy gaming as my hobby but honestly right now I'm a bit burned out.

this too could be the OP's underline issue.

not because you have every game, system ever created means you have to play it.

or does not wanting to play means/makes it worthless. the value is in the enjoyment sure enough but sometimes you just feel burned and lack the energy for said or any hobby that is a constant.

times like this is when you mix it up. try something new for awhile.

I'm no therapist, but I would say that your going through some sort of gamers midlife crisis.

I would recommend putting down controller for a bit. go to the park, bike riding or something.

this too could be the OP's underline issue.

not because you have every game, system ever created means you have to play it.

or does not wanting to play means/makes it worthless. the value is in the enjoyment sure enough but sometimes you just feel burned and lack the energy for said or any hobby that is a constant.

times like this is when you mix it up. try something new for awhile.

I'm no therapist, but I would say that your going through some sort of gamers midlife crisis.

I would recommend putting down controller for a bit. go to the park, bike riding or something.

Go+Outside+And+Play.jpg

OR...

Murph_play.jpg

Simply...if something is getting old...try something new then come back later when the draw returns.

• Like 2