Why make a game with a bad ending?

Kishnabe

• 1 month later...

When I saw this thread, I was halfway through the game and I kind of guessed what it would be (but didn't wanted to spoil it, so didn't looked further).

Now that I finished the game, I don't think it was that bad (and actually it was better then I though it would be, since I tough it would be like the ending of chapter 11, right before the credits. That little bit in the end of chapter 12 actually makes decent neutral ending).. as someone said, it's a cliffhanger ending, nothing close to a bad ending IMO.

• 1 month later...

This isn't a bad ending. It's a cliffhanger ending that usually signalizes sequel.

The exact same thing happened in Zero Escape VLR and... what do you know, it's finally coming out in 2016, we may eventually see this sequel as well.

Yeah but the ending of Zero Escape made me think "Great! I can't wait for the sequel!".

Mind Zero was like : "WTF??"

It's part of life. If you don't like bad endings, definitely don't watch anime. I have watched only 400 series or so, but I'm sure that Satoshi can vouch that life is full of disappointments.

I have learned to enjoy the beginning of and meat of things more and focus less on the endings. If the ending is good, at least to your standards, then it's just a bonus. 

It's part of life. If you don't like bad endings, definitely don't watch anime. I have watched only 400 series or so, but I'm sure that Satoshi can vouch that life is full of disappointments.

I have learned to enjoy the beginning of and meat of things more and focus less on the endings. If the ending is good, at least to your standards, then it's just a bonus. 

Well, endings are important to me and I do watch anime.

The major difference between games (especially JRPG) and anime is that games are way more time consuming. It takes about 10 hours to watch a full season of any random 24 episode anime but at least 40 to 50 hours to get to the ending of a game. You spend more time with game characters, you build their stats, you make them progress throughout the whole story so it's a lot less passive than watching anime. A good ending puts a satisfying end to all the time you've spent on the game.

Also, you pay a lot more for a game, and there's the trophy list too.

No need to go all pessimistic with your "that's life. If you don't like it, don't watch it". When you buy a game (or any kind of product), you have the right to give your opinion and to tell people if you think the ending was not up to your expectation.

I was pretty excited to get Mind = Zero. Two hours into playing made me realize that it wasn't the game I was hoping for. Mind = Zero is a pretty disappointing Persona-like that doesn't fulfill any promises it made.

It's pretty clear that they wanted to make a sequel to Mind = Zero but a good game is a game were the current story obtains a satisfying ending with at least some answers while leaving an open door for an hypothetic sequel. Mind = Zero doesn't do that. At first, I wasn't even sure I was at the end of the game, but then the trophy popped and I was thinking "This is the end? this is the actual end of the game? Are you kidding me?"

Mind = Zero left a pretty bad impression on me.

• Like 1

I actually love bad endings. Don't you ever get tired of good endings, or am I the only one? Got tired of them way back as a kid, lol.

You don't like good endings, or you don't like happy endings? Those aren't the same thing.

That's certainly no lie. Anime (as well as much else of Japanese media) is notorious for nonsensical endings. 

Why not? Some times the best stories don't always have happy endings

Did you actually read the posts above yours or just typed your opinion on the title?

Mind = Zero doesn't have a bad ending (as in main characters getting killed for example or bad guys winning), the ending is bad because it's actually not an "ending" per se.

bad endings are just awesome, we all need a reality check now and then

Did you actually read the posts above yours or just typed your opinion on the title?

Mind = Zero doesn't have a bad ending (as in main characters getting killed for example or bad guys winning), the ending is bad because it's actually not an "ending" per se.

You don't like good endings, or you don't like happy endings? Those aren't the same thing.

I mean good as in happy like the OP said.

I heard the ending was vague but I did not know it had no happy ending. 

Bad endings are okay in a game with multiple endings.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished this game and saw the ending.  I have to say it was definitely a "bad" ending, as in it was stupid and anti-climactic.  I don't mind cliffhanger endings, but this game's ending was just terribly done.  It felt like the ending to a chapter rather than an entire game.  Add on top that no music played during the awkwardly placed credits.

Edited by TomHoang
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...