Let's Get The Pier Solar and the Great Architects Plat

I think he's talking about the 10 pieces of armor (2 of which are gotten from a missable sidequest). Also, while the other 3 keys are missable, as you say, they can be gotten on a no-fight run.

Ok, I may have misunderstood.  On your no fight run (which by the way, they game was not designed for, it was an added challenge after the fact) you cannot get 1 of the 10 pieces of armor, because you cannot get 1 master key.  I don't think that is a poor design choice, as it wasn't really a choice made by the designer.  

Also be thankful they added inn's in the "innless stretch from hell", because I tried to do it while not healing, and it was not fun lol.

Ok, I may have misunderstood.  On your no fight run (which by the way, they game was not designed for, it was an added challenge after the fact) you cannot get 1 of the 10 pieces of armor, because you cannot get 1 master key.  I don't think that is a poor design choice, as it wasn't really a choice made by the designer.  

Also be thankful they added inn's in the "innless stretch from hell", because I tried to do it while not healing, and it was not fun lol.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned that yuri should read tim's commentary. I too did this without healing (so I could get the original experience feel). What a crapstorm of nonsense!

Yeah. I'm so out of the loop that I can't give you all of the particulars. But like I said, only the fight against the lion is necessary in an otherwise-blind playthrough, so that you can get that piece of armor for your next (no fight) playthrough. Use your 600 battle grind at the end to generate a ton of cash, and you can get shop-a-holic on your no-fight playthrough as well.

I hate games that punish you for playing them the way they are intended, BTW, despite the fact that I generally love JRPGs (and in particular, 16-bit JRPGs and their wannabe clones).

Is this actually true?  I know in the original game you could only hold 65,535 gold (2 bits of data, with 1 for zero), I never bothered to test it to see if you could hold more.

On a side note, you need a total of 231, 992 gold to buy one of everything at the cheapest place.  That means you need to have 186 books (to sell at 1,250 gold), just an fyi.

Also, I found that fighting in the basement in Verahanasha after the train gives WAY more gold than the final dungeon.  At least from my experience.  On top of that, there is no inn in the final area, so if you want to fight there, make sure you can handle it (if you don't have all the legendary gear, you may struggle to make it to 600 battles.

Edited by Sir_Bee

Is this actually true?  I know in the original game you could only hold 65,535 gold (2 bits of data, with 1 for zero), I never bothered to test it to see if you could hold more.

On a side note, you need a total of 231, 992 gold to buy one of everything at the cheapest place.  That means you need to have 186 books (to sell at 1,250 gold), just an fyi.

Also, I found that fighting in the basement in Verahanasha after the train gives WAY more gold than the final dungeon.  At least from my experience.  On top of that, there is no inn in the final area, so if you want to fight there, make sure you can handle it (if you don't have all the legendary gear, you may struggle to make it to 600 battles.

Yes. You can get a bunch of money, and buy up equipment in the last town. You can then sell this equipment as necessary when you are shop-a-holic-ing. 600 battles against the creatures in the final dungeon will net a fortune for you (and if you do it in the penultimate dungeon, against the spiders, you'll get even more). It saved my bacon, because I played partly blind, and missed some of the missable shops.

I think there's a place to save in the final town. It's tucked away somewhere random if memory serves.

Also, while it's true that with no legendary gear, the battles will be tough, not all of it is missable. Further, as the kid inventor levels, he gets great spells that one-shot everything. 

But again, all of this is just opinion. I just share Yuri's passion for playing games blind, so I was hoping to give him some options if he did so.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

Reminds me of the time I imagined the comments that would be made if a real 16-bit RPG like Final Fantasy 6 got trophies. "Wait, whaddya mean the entire first half of the game becomes missable after the Floating Continent?!" "No free roam after you beat the game?! Pffft, that's bullshit."

• Like 2

Reminds me of the time I imagined the comments that would be made if a real 16-bit RPG like Final Fantasy 6 got trophies. "Wait, whaddya mean the entire first half of the game becomes missable after the Floating Continent?!" "No free roam after you beat the game?! Pffft, that's bullshit."

LOL. Honestly, despite the fact that I know that game inside and out, I would still bitch about having to get that one monster (the invisible one) that appears on that one island (totally randomly, and the island serves no other purpose) right before the continent is destroyed (because you need the airship and some freedom of travel).

Because you KNOW there would be a trophy for getting all of Gau's monsters. Stupid Square...

The best method I found for the 600 battles is to set the encounter rate to 2x at the start and then near end game, wherever there is an auto heal section, like the one in Klonoeo's base, just set the encounter rate to max and wander really close to the auto heal spot, set animations and speed to max, and spam spells. I got it that way with only 2 hours of boosting.

Yeah. I'm so out of the loop that I can't give you all of the particulars. But like I said, only the fight against the lion is necessary in an otherwise-blind playthrough, so that you can get that piece of armor for your next (no fight) playthrough. Use your 600 battle grind at the end to generate a ton of cash, and you can get shop-a-holic on your no-fight playthrough as well.

I hate games that punish you for playing them the way they are intended, BTW, despite the fact that I generally love JRPGs (and in particular, 16-bit JRPGs and their wannabe clones).

Sorry for quoting you again, but there is some kind of warning you can give me about the lion? Unless it's extremely straightforward like my party announcing there is a lion to be killed or whatever. Anything like "As soon as you enter YYY area, you can get the lion chest, so look up how to get that and get it done" or "The lion chest is located in YYY area, but you can't get to it before XXX story event happens. As soon as it does happen, get the chest asap and keep playing at your own pace after that." would suffice for me. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Damon answered me below, thanks to both.

Edited by TheYuriG

Sorry for quoting you again, but there is some kind of warning you can give me about the lion? Unless it's extremely straightforward like my party announcing there is a lion to be killed or whatever. Anything like "As soon as you enter YYY area, you can get the lion chest, so look up how to get that and get it done" or "The lion chest is located in YYY area, but you can't get to it before XXX story event happens. As soon as it does happen, get the chest asap and keep playing at your own pace after that." would suffice for me. Thank you in advance. Please keep spoiler at minimal, slightly hint something if you need to like I did when I said

There's a lion in a cage in an area called The Arena underneath the town of Assac. You'll know it when you see it.

• Like 1

Got to what I think that is the second boss. I'm getting my ass handed over to me in a level I can't exactly describe. Guess I'll be teleporting back to the tower, then setting encounter rate 8x and grinding a level or two before trying again.

This crab smash attack is utter bullshit.  :shakefist:

Got to what I think that is the second boss. I'm getting my ass handed over to me in a level I can't exactly describe. Guess I'll be teleporting back to the tower, then setting encounter rate 8x and grinding a level or two before trying again.

This crab smash attack is utter bullshit.  :shakefist:

You should've gotten an accessory called a Dragon Tooth before that battle. It halves fire damage, which is what that boss does. Equip it on your healer so they can keep everyone else alive. Later, you'll find that Feathers, Dragon Teeth, Towels, and Small Weights are your best friends, since they halve damage from all 4 elements. There's no reason not to use any accessory other than those 4 for the rest of the game.

You should've gotten an accessory called a Dragon Tooth before that battle. It halves fire damage, which is what that boss does. Equip it on your healer so they can keep everyone else alive. Later, you'll find that Feathers, Dragon Teeth, Towels, and Small Weights are your best friends, since they halve damage from all 4 elements. There's no reason not to use any accessory other than those 4 for the rest of the game.

I really have that, got it from a chest. Lets see how this goes now...

Well, the Dragon's Tooth was useless, he never attacked the chick. What I found out though, is that if you focus, your focus stays for the rest of the battle. I thought each attack you landed requiring focus removed one bit of it. The tech kid did fireball after fireball with 1.5x damage and oh boy, it was fun to watch the 3 digit damage popping up every time.

Oh no...

the goat master died

damn, that was unnexpected...

oh shit...

young goat died too. "Mohu dies" crashed me :(

Not sure if I'm raging or crying right now.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 1

I really have that, got it from a chest. Lets see how this goes now...

Well, the Dragon's Tooth was useless, he never attacked the chick. What I found out though, is that if you focus, your focus stays for the rest of the battle. I thought each attack you landed requiring focus removed one bit of it. The tech kid did fireball after fireball with 1.5x damage and oh boy, it was fun to watch the 3 digit damage popping up every time.

Gather is a little more complicated than that.  If your gather is 3 or higher, you will lose 1 every time you are hit, but your gather cannot drop below 2 (unless you die).  So I usually try to get my gather to 2 on everyone, and then just go all out.  It is almost a waste to push it higher (unless you want a specific spell or skill), as any aoe attack could take 1 from everyone.

At least one character will always be the same element as the enemy they're fighting, and when that happens their damage is halved. That's why you take them out of actively fighting and use them specifically to Gather each turn. So if you drop down 1 level after an attack, the next turn you can take that character's Gather for your attack. Also, you got to pay attention to how the order of battle plays out each turn. If you see that it goes Hoston/Alina/Enemy/Zellini, it might not be particularly wise for you to put all your eggs in one basket with Zellini and instead use Hoston, maybe having Zellini be the one who Gathers each turn. Use the Green Chilis to instantly gain 2 levels of Gather and the Red Chilis for 4 levels. There's also a magic book in the Magic School that grants everyone 1 level of Gather at the beginning of every battle, and Edessot's ultimate equipment grants him another 3 levels. There's a couple more accessories that grant extra levels of Gather. Watermelons grant you 5 instant levels, but you'll want to save them for the final battles.

Edited by damon8r351

Also, you got to pay attention to how the order of battle plays out each turn. If you see that it goes Hoston/Alina/Enemy/Zellini, it might not be particularly wise for you to put all your eggs in one basket with Zellini and instead use Hoston, maybe having Zellini be the one who Gathers each turn.

That is too tactical, I just want to kill more stuff instead.

Have not paid that much attention, honestly, but will try to keep that in mind. I usually go all out when I'm fighting.

Have been playing a bit different today. I put the encounter rate to 0 when I just want to progress the story and when I reach another area, I grind levels until I'm on par with whatever companion I have. My current companion was 10, so I leveled all my party members to 10 as well (he went to 12) and then progressed the story again. Like playing it this way, I can play only what I want to play at the moment I want.

THE MUSIC FOR THIS GAME IS SO GOOD!!!