Hitman: Release details (stupidity herein)

StrickenBiged

ALL THIS INFORMATION IS OUT OF DATE NOW.

SquareEnix and IO have changed up the release schedule. 

More info here.https://hitman.com/en-gb/news/hitman-new-year-update

13304603918640.195.c99571e18da7a63b1b47a

Right... so... 

Does anyone else miss the days when you'd buy a game and you'd walk out of the shop happy in the knowledge that you owned the full game? 

Anyway, this is the low-down. 

You can buy the full game for $60. There will be 6 missions at launch, 3 locations, and 800 targets (not to mention 40 "signature kills" - that's right, even animations are now being cordoned off - and "events"). In April, May and June, you will get a new location, new missions, etc. 

Or, you can buy the Intro Pack for $35, and think about the post-launch content for an additional $30. So buying the full game saves you $5.

No news on non-USA pricing, but we know that they usually just swap the $ for a £ sign and call it a day.  

Pre-ordering gets you beta access. But you shouldn't pre-order because you'd only be encouraging them. Plus, it'd be a digital pre-order because there is no disc version for now, so you would have no opportunity to back out if the beta turns out to be shite and you decide that you wish you hadn't. 

Anyway, that's the confusing mess that is Hitman's launch. 

No news on a disc based version, but I recall something about a disc version following after all the other content has launched. Edit: Twitter account for IO confirms a disc based version coming in 2016, but that they aren't ready to say anything else at this point. 

I don't know about you guys & gals but this confusing mess of a situation has turned me right off the game. Fuck your pre-order, fuck your "have half a game now, and more stuff later" and, to be quite frank, fuck your game. There will be other, complete games for me to play at that point in time, and I'll give them my attention in March 2016. 

If your game reviews well, then I might, might, pick it up when there's a disc version where I know I'll have the whole thing in my hands.

Looks like a desperate attempt to prolong how long people will play the game to me. As we all know, most games sit on our PS4 dashboard for a month before new games come out and they fade into the library, somewhere. This silliness could be an attempt to keep it "relevant" for longer. That, or they needed to convolute some way to lock you into a digital release to prevent second hand sales. There's no reason they couldn't release the March content on a disc, and add the other content via patches. Don't fall for this shit guys & gals. Seriously. Do not buy this game until there is a complete, disc based version. 

Oh, yeah, and if you have shitty internet where you live and have to wait days for a game to download or have monthly data limits to worry about, well Hitman doesn't care about you. So why should you care about it?

Seriously... I fucking love the products this industry puts out, but the industry itself can be so infuriating at times...

Consumers, as a group we need to grow a pair of fucking testicles (or breasts, if you either prefer that analogy and/or are female) and stop rewarding shitty practices with our money. Seriously. 

Sorry for getting a bit off topic here, but this shit is getting insane. I want to be excited about your product IO, I really do. But I can't when you treat me like a fucking moron. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 2

The flip side of this is that the intro pack could have been $60, and the add-on content (ie upgrade to the 'full package') an additional $30.

You know, like every other company does with AAA game releases now days?

There is that. Given the Intro pack + Upgrade pack combo is only $5 more expensive, it is the more attractive of these two options to me, because I'd have the opportunity to try the game out for, effectively, half price. 

But, in context, that's like saying I prefer my cancerous, ulcerated, pus-filled left testicle to the bleeding open wound where my eye-socket used to be. Given the choice, I'd still prefer neither. 

• Like 1

Oh great. Splitting up the campaign missions. Because that worked sooooo well with L.A Noire.

L.A Noire is still unbeatable for anyone who buys it digitally in the EU due to them separating the content and then not putting the cut out story missions onto the store.

Here's their tweet about this sorry mess. If you want to, you can tell them what you think. In their blog post about this "release" - how fucked up is it that you need a blog post to explain a release? - they invited you to tell them what you think, so don't feel shy or hold back.

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/648859988132237312

Edit: Link to twitter seems broken... anyone know why or how to fix?

Edited by StrickenBiged

DriveClub was slightly different because the standalone product was a complete game. It then had lots of DLC.

This proposition is "buy half a game now, and we'll give you the rest later".

That still didn't answer my question :P

I see them as the same though. With Driveclub they gave you well under half of the planned product and announced at release that there would be many dlc (paid and free) that would be needed to have the full experience.

I see them as the same though. With Driveclub they gave you well under half of the planned product and announced at release that there would be many dlc (paid and free) that would be needed to have the full experience.

I thought you were being sarcastic. No, it isn't the same company as DriveClub. That was Evolution Studios.

You may see them as the same, but you're factually incorrect... Maybe it would help if you looked at it this way - you could earn a plat in DriveClub with the base game. It doesn't sound like you can do that with Hitman.

• Like 3

Haha, that's ridiculous. "Here's all the stuff we could give you....but no, more money pls"

No, it's not the same people :P

I've always loved Hitman so i'm sure something like this won't faze me. I won't pre-order but i definitely will be getting the game when it comes out.

I mean come on, it's f***ing "Hitman".

EDIT: There goes me trying to be positive -__- shouldn't have posted anything and gone with my gut feeling.

Edited by Oblivion

I've always loved Hitman so i'm sure something like this won't faze me. I won't pre-order but i definitely will be getting the game when it comes out.

I mean come on, it's f***ing "Hitman".

Funny how we react differently. I'm more like "It's fucking Hitman, so they knew it was going to sell well... why'd they have to go and fuck it up like this?!".

I also take the broader view... It's Hitman now, but if this business model is successful then next it will be your next favourite franchise, then your third favourite, and all the way down... 

• Like 2

Funny how we react differently. I'm more like "It's fucking Hitman, so they knew it was going to sell well... why'd they have to go and fuck it up like this?!".

I also take the broader view... It's Hitman now, but if this business model is successful then next it will be your next favourite franchise, then your third favourite, and all the way down... 

I'm talking more about the game itself. The DLC and post launch stuff is absolutely digusting though. 

I watched somebody talking about this exact problem with pre-ordering and how everything seems to work nowadays.

I can't find the video but i know the subject was about Business Practices of the gaming industry today. I know stuff like this will eventually happen if we continue to pre-order games.

EDIT: There goes me trying to be positive -__- shouldn't have posted anything and gone with my gut feeling.

Edited by Oblivion

Oh great. Splitting up the campaign missions. Because that worked sooooo well with L.A Noire.

L.A Noire is still unbeatable for anyone who buys it digitally in the EU due to them separating the content and then not putting the cut out story missions onto the store.

Lol I bought LA Noire from the EU store and everything worked fine.