Project Platinum: General info and leaderboard

xZoneHunter

Now that the Worms WMD trophy list is up I'd like to put forward the idea of a Worms PP again, the series now has the five minimum platinums needed. :)

Games required for rankings:

• Worms 2: Armageddon

• Worms Ultimate Mayhem

• Worms Revolution (PS3) -or- Worms Revolution Extreme (Vita)

• Worms Battlegrounds

• Worms WMD

Bonus games:

• Worms

• Worms: Crazy Golf

I'd also like to suggest a Vikings PP into Pending Suggestions. I think we'll have enough to fill a PP soon.

Plats:

- Jotun [PS4] (Release Date: September 9, 2016)

- The Banner Saga [PS4, Maybe PS Vita?]

- The Banner Saga 2 [PS4]

- The Banner Saga 3 [PS4] (Release Date TBD)

- Vikings: Wolves of Midgard [PS4] (Release Date: Early 2017)

100%:

- When Vikings Attack

Anyone can feel free to claim it - I want to get Big Brother done before trying anything else.

I don't see why not. Will add them to the OP!

• Like 1

UPDATE

So, for the first time in 11 months - i sat down and tried to check how accurate the online leaderboard actually is. And unfortunately, there was a lot of need for improvement. I also noticed that most people don't really have much interest for the leaderboard anymore. Which is why i don't think i should be forcing it upon members any logner. Especially because of the diminishing quality of the sheet. It's getting pretty big and it's noticeable on the loading times and amount of crashes

That's why i wanted to suggest to just put an end to the spreadsheet all together. It was a good idea, but badly executed. 

I know that some of you did care to get into that famous TOP 5 spot, so i'll be doing some sort of giveaway in memory of my little excel project. And probably give a bunch of those premium memberships i promised a while back.

In case you don't know what the hell i'm talking about.

TL;DR Everything stays the same just no more TOP 5 & online leaderboard spreadsheet.

Edited by xZoneHunter

I gotta agree with Gibbo, online leaderboard was a fun addition to the whole PP business...

I propose a suggestion:

We do not make a new list for each new PP, instead, we make lists for PP creators. We also abolish the ranks on leaderboard and let creators add points manually.

Example: I have Plat in Despair PP (12pts), Silver in J-Gems (2pts) and Silver in Kiseki (2pts), that means in SatoshiOokami list, I would write 16 for satoshiookami. Supposedly, I increase my rank in Kiseki to Gold (6pts) which would raise my point count by 4. Therefore, I would replace 16 with 20.

Sure, it will be more work for the PP creators at the start but at least it would save the leaderboard... Feel free to dismiss this idea =D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 3

Damn im not gonna lie, without the leaderboard and points system it makes me less interested in project platinum  :(

^  ^  ^  This ! ....  I was always looking for PPs i can complete to get my 12 point boost to get higher in rank .

But i have to agree that spreadsheet is not loading or crashing 90% of times  i try ... which is very annoying .

• Like 2

Yep same, I only do PP pretty much for the leaderboards and the competition side of things. The idea is nice and I'd still want to do things like the Challenge Accepted PP's. But I'd lose a lot of motivation regarding them and interest in the idea in general. I imagine a lot of people would tbh. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people who are at least somewhat interested in the leaderboards and that friendly competition.

• Like 2

Well, i suppose i can keep a small part of the leaderboard going. So what i suggest is to have a Top 10 or 20 (depending on how many are interested) in the same form as the Top 5 in the OP right now. But you guys would have to keep track of your own points and just let me know when you gain some more points. Then there is still room for competition for those who want that.

Would that be a good solution?

Edited by xZoneHunter

Well, i suppose i can keep a small part of the leaderboard going. So what i suggest is to have a Top 10 or 20 (depending on how many are interested) in the same form as the Top 5 in the OP right now. But you guys would have to keep track of your own points and just let me know when you gain some more points. Then there is still room for competition for those who want that.

I'm happy with either that, preferably top 50 though. Or Satoshi's idea. Definitely want some form of leaderboard though.

What if other members take over the inaccurate PP tabs and keep them up to date?

I gotta agree with Gibbo, online leaderboard was a fun addition to the whole PP business...

I propose a suggestion:

We do not make a new list for each new PP, instead, we make lists for PP creators. We also abolish the ranks on leaderboard and let creators add points manually.

Example: I have Plat in Despair PP (12pts), Silver in J-Gems (2pts) and Silver in Kiseki (2pts), that means in SatoshiOokami list, I would write 16 for satoshiookami. Supposedly, I increase my rank in Kiseki to Gold (6pts) which would raise my point count to 4. I would replace 16 with 20.

Sure, it will be more work for the PP creators at the start but at least it would save the leaderboard... Feel free to dismiss this idea =D

But that still doesn't solve the problem of creators not updating the leaderboard.

Damn im not gonna lie, without the leaderboard and points system it makes me less interested in project platinum  :(

Yeah, the point system was a nice addition to the PPs.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

But that still doesn't solve the problem of creators not updating the leaderboard.

Sure, those would have to be handled differently. 

I just think handling lagging leaderboard is a priority.

We can obviously give the less active creators' tabs to active participants. It's not like the lists were locked =D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Sure, those would have to be handled differently. 

I just think handling lagging leaderboard is a priority.

We can obviously give the less active creators' tabs to active participants. It's not like the lists were locked =D

I think there are two separate problems here:

1) Leaderboard sheet has gotten too big so it lags and crashes a ton.

2) Leaderboard sheet is not always up to date.

I like Satoshi's idea, and have my own suggestions too. 

1) Leaderboard sheet has gotten too big --> Consolidate the leaderboard into a single excel sheet. Rows are Project Platinum participants. Each column represents a different PP (for example, first column = Hyperdimension Neptunia, second column = Ratchet & Clank, etc). Values in cells represent points that user has earned for that PP. There would be another column somewhere that would sum up total PP points for that user and this way the leaderboard can still autoupdate. Also, without all the sheets and extra graphical frills, the sheet should be much more stable. I can make a quick mock up sheet if that would help everyone visualize.

2) Leaderboard sheet is not always up to date --> Every participant is responsible for updating their own PP points. This way only the users who are interested in their leaderboard rank will participate while helping to remove the burden of constant updates for PP creators. This would require giving everyone permission to update the google doc + we have to trust that everyone is being honest, but we can always double-check the points listed for any user before updating the top 10/20/50/etc. PP creators would obviously continue to keep their PP forum topics updated and maybe help change everyone's points for their PP when a new game is released and all the platinum ranked people are demoted, etc.

I feel like these suggestions help ensure that the people who are most interested in the leaderboard have more control over how accurate their rankings are, while making things easier for the PP creators. I think the ideas work well together, but just #1 or #2 could be fine too. What does everyone think?

• Like 2

1) Leaderboard sheet has gotten too big --> Consolidate the leaderboard into a single excel sheet. Rows are Project Platinum participants. Each column represents a different PP (for example, first column = Hyperdimension Neptunia, second column = Ratchet & Clank, etc). Values in cells represent points that user has earned for that PP. There would be another column somewhere that would sum up total PP points for that user and this way the leaderboard can still autoupdate. Also, without all the sheets and extra graphical frills, the sheet should be much more stable. I can make a quick mock up sheet if that would help everyone visualize.

This was basically how the first sheet worked :awesome: 

With your post in mind, the current sheet could still work if i just remove the script (since that's why the sheet is so slow) It'd mean a bit more work to adjust rankings but if everyone was in charge for their own it doesn't really matter. I actually really like that idea.

• Like 1

This was basically how the first sheet worked  :awesome:

With your post in mind, the current sheet could still work if i just remove the script (since that's why the sheet is so slow) It'd mean a bit more work to adjust rankings but if everyone was in charge for their own it doesn't really matter. I actually really like that idea.

Glad you liked the idea :D.

Ahh I see that's how the sheet is setup now. I personally like the idea of hardcoding my points for each PP into a single sheet because: 1) removing all those HLOOKUPs and VLOOKUPs will make things go faster for sure, and 2) if there's any discrepancy between my leaderboard points and what I think my points should be, it's easy to identify.

And as you pointed out, if everyone is responsible for keeping track of their own points, there shouldn't be a big burden on any one person when we migrate the leaderboard sheet format.

Is the problem now mostly just having people to update the google docs? If so, we might be able to script the updating of the spreadsheet.

When I was writing a script for the team league, I noticed that it is really easy to check if a user has a platinum or not in a game. I haven't fully thought this out yet, but we could use a script that would run every other day and check every PP user's last played games for the last 2 days and see if there is a plat, and if there is a plat, add it to the spreadsheet. (Saying every 2 days to lower server load, which hopefully won't bother Sly) In this way, the only things that need to be maintained, are the member list, the game list, and the PP's game thresholds.

(Just voicing my idea out there. I need to look into GDocs to see how to do it on their side, but I can write the crawler for the plats pretty quickly if you want me to)

I think there are two separate problems here:

1) Leaderboard sheet has gotten too big so it lags and crashes a ton.

2) Leaderboard sheet is not always up to date.

I like Satoshi's idea, and have my own suggestions too. 

2) Leaderboard sheet is not always up to date --> Every participant is responsible for updating their own PP points. This way only the users who are interested in their leaderboard rank will participate while helping to remove the burden of constant updates for PP creators. This would require giving everyone permission to update the google doc + we have to trust that everyone is being honest, but we can always double-check the points listed for any user before updating the top 10/20/50/etc. PP creators would obviously continue to keep their PP forum topics updated and maybe help change everyone's points for their PP when a new game is released and all the platinum ranked people are demoted, etc.

I feel like these suggestions help ensure that the people who are most interested in the leaderboard have more control over how accurate their rankings are, while making things easier for the PP creators. I think the ideas work well together, but just #1 or #2 could be fine too. What does everyone think?

As long as participants sort their names alphabetically per rank in the PP R&C and Dragons tabs, I'm ok with it :awesome:.

Nope. But you obviously should :P

I'll humbly stay on the sidelines, so you can step up and be a hero for the PP community :P

Is the problem now mostly just having people to update the google docs? If so, we might be able to script the updating of the spreadsheet.

When I was writing a script for the team league, I noticed that it is really easy to check if a user has a platinum or not in a game. I haven't fully thought this out yet, but we could use a script that would run every other day and check every PP user's last played games for the last 2 days and see if there is a plat, and if there is a plat, add it to the spreadsheet. (Saying every 2 days to lower server load, which hopefully won't bother Sly) In this way, the only things that need to be maintained, are the member list, the game list, and the PP's game thresholds.

(Just voicing my idea out there. I need to look into GDocs to see how to do it on their side, but I can write the crawler for the plats pretty quickly if you want me to)

Is it possible to filter the script for specific plats? Because, unlike THTL, not every plat counts and I imagine there would be a script for every PP.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

Is it possible to filter the script for specific plats? Because, unlike THTL, not every plat counts and I imagine there would be a script for every PP.

We have a game name with every plat icon, so I need to change my script a bit, but it is quite possible to make 1 large script which has sections for each PP and only check for those platinums.

That's impressive and sounds like it would be very useful.

I'll see if I'm motivated enough to make a prototype tonight for at least crawling the psnp website. Trying to catch up on other things since I forsaked a lot during THTL.

Edit: I started it tonight, but didn't have enough time to get very far. Will spend a bit more time tomorrow.

Edited by bladesoframen

Well there is that, as well as the sheet being ridiculously slow.

Right now i have a script running that just operates on Google sheets. It doesn't do that much, basically it just calculates each user's total score and compiles them to the main sheet. I would imagine, with what you intend to do it would run even more slower.

Well there is that, as well as the sheet being ridiculously slow.

Right now i have a script running that just operates on Google sheets. It doesn't do that much, basically it just calculates each user's total score and compiles them to the main sheet. I would imagine, with what you intend to do it would run even more slower.

Well the idea was that if we have a script input a number, and not equation into the sheet (the script will make things up to date, not as much automatic syncing), it should be pretty fast because there is no need for a constant syncing between sheets.. As a result, I don't think there will be a speed drop.