• Hockey
    • Basketball
    • Tennis
    • Racing
    • NCAA Football (Men's and Women's)
    • NCAA Basketball (Men's and Women's)
    • Soccer
    • Other

I voted Soccer, but I hate people calling this weird word to the most played sport in the World, it is played with a ball and with our foot so it should be called Football. Now, "American" Football, they only play with the foot to start (kickoff, I guess) and then it's guys running with the ball in their hands trying to make a touchdown, so why people call football to this sport? Still don't understand and that makes me angry because football (soccer) is the main sport in my country. =/

Football, Rugby, American, Aussie rules etc all developed from formalizing rules for a very old more free form type of game called just football which predates all f these games. They all still have football in the name ie association football, rugby football. Rugby dropped the 'football' part of the name in common use to help differentiate it from association football, the more popular sport. American Football never needed to do so as their 'soccer' culture has only just started to grow. That's why it's still called football although it might seem more accurate to call it 'hand egg' :)

Now 'soccer' is actually an English term of origin. It was coined and used in the past by the upper classes almost exclusively to differentiate the sport from the rougher and less organized games that association sport grew out of. This term was rejected by the working classes (football in the England has historically been a working class game) who just continued calling the game football which stuck as it has always been the dominant sport here. The term has since been adopted in most places to refer to association football. Only places like Ireland, Australia and the US who already have large sporting cultures surrounding a game they call football use the term soccer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If there was a option for trampolining I'd choose it without a doubt as the same for skateboarding & gaming that's why I chose other! ;)

How could I forget Tennis, Beach Volleyball & any other extreme sports! Basketball is cool I guess.. If only I was taller.... :/

Edited by MrToboThe1st

• 3 weeks later...