Regale your hardcore efforts

Sir_Bee

The ripper kicks arse? Good god... even on hard core?

Had many attempts at hard to the core since yesterday. 5 attempts yesterday and then today I finally got as far as chapter 4. Saved and then got killed shortly after *phew... that could have been worse*.

Just had another go and got to the part in chapter 5 where you release the machine which lets the coffin through. Went to go through and got my head chopped off.... :o ...... :o...... :o

Will try again soon but from tomorrow I'm back in work with next to no days off until mid-May. You need to have a lot of time for this mode.

I am looking forward to this challenge once I'm done with my second playthrough, any tips on which chapter I should use my first save?

Ch 6 , ch 9 on the save right before ch 10. last save at the very end of 11. I would recommend to save on 13 because ch 11 & 2 were super easy and i didn't die. My saves were 6,9,11 but you should save on 6, 10,13. Good luck. It's not a difficult mode, but you can't rush. You'll be alright. Just keep calm and buy ample amount of health. 

I am looking forward to this challenge once I'm done with my second playthrough, any tips on which chapter I should use my first save?

For your first time around it might be best to save at chapter 4 like I did. Once you get the first save point in chpater 4, shortly after thats when things can get a bit twitchy.

I got to chapter 4 for the first time today and the moment I saved, I literally died within the next few minutes. I was even contemplating waiting until chapter 5 but if I hadn't of saved then I would have been so gutted to restart. I've had two goes since and died in chpater 4 and 5 again. But its not so bad because I'd rather be at something like chpater 7 and only have to start back at chapter 4. its having to start from the very begining which really kicks you in the morals :D

And don't be ashamed to watch a video guide. I watched a guy doing a superb job, but in some of the sections I did them even better than he could. But then you have situations when it goes to kack and thats whe you need to be at your most patient and skillful.

Good luck to you mate. I'm back at work tomorrow so don't know when  I can play again. But with that in mind it could also be a good tip for you. Don't play the game if you only have an hour to spare. Play it when you have free time that your not affraid to waste.

For your first time around it might be best to save at chapter 4 like I did. Once you get the first save point in chpater 4, shortly after thats when things can get a bit twitchy.

I got to chapter 4 for the first time today and the moment I saved, I literally died within the next few minutes. I was even contemplating waiting until chapter 5 but if I hadn't of saved then I would have been so gutted to restart. I've had two goes since and died in chpater 4 and 5 again. But its not so bad because I'd rather be at something like chpater 7 and only have to start back at chapter 4. its having to start from the very begining which really kicks you in the morals :D

And don't be ashamed to watch a video guide. I watched a guy doing a superb job, but in some of the sections I did them even better than he could. But then you have situations when it goes to kack and thats whe you need to be at your most patient and skillful.

Good luck to you mate. I'm back at work tomorrow so don't know when  I can play again. But with that in mind it could also be a good tip for you. Don't play the game if you only have an hour to spare. Play it when you have free time that your not affraid to waste.

Thanks for the tip, I'll might practice a little from Chapter 4 on before starting my trophy run. Good luck to you as well :)

Thanks for the tip, I'll might practice a little from Chapter 4 on before starting my trophy run. Good luck to you as well :)

Cheers mate.

Give this guys videos a watch. The guy is now so good that he pretty much sells everything he collects... even health :jaymon:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj8SCm7EQL0

What I would do is watch his chapter play and then do it yourself. What your going to learn most from his videos, is not when to fight, but the fights you can avoid. You will also probably do things easier than him on certain sections. He made the stalker section look quite unnearving, but I did it a piece or cake and even quicker than my casual playthrough :awesome:

Cheers mate.

Give this guys videos a watch. The guy is now so good that he pretty much sells everything he collects... even health :jaymon:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj8SCm7EQL0

What I would do is watch his chapter play and then do it yourself. What your going to learn most from his videos, is not when to fight, but the fights you can avoid. You will also probably do things easier than him on certain sections. He made the stalker section look quite unnearving, but I did it a piece or cake and even quicker than my casual playthrough :awesome:

I'm not too concerned with Stalkers, the one thing that worries me the most are the explosive enemies like those creepy crawlers on the floor who spit an explosive ball or the guy with the limpy yellow leg. I am pretty good at blowing myself up ^^

Catch the explosive ball and throw it back at them B) Wipes them out in one go. As for Old McLimpy. They die pretty easily by headshots, and you can then use the bag as a grenade towards other enemies.

But in hard core mode, don't shoot the bag unless they really are far away from you. Even an after shock of it reduces your energy to next to nothing. Otherwise your good to go.

• 7 months later...

So, I started hardcore on PC, and here it goes:

Chapter #1 - Not a single problem, I only got hit twice, by the puker and the boss.

Chapter #2 - Yet again, there wasn't much of a challenge.

Chapter #3 - If I remember well, I barely got hit.

Chapter #4 - I had a few problems, but with the med packs I carried along the way, I was okay. I forgot to carry the Security Suit schematic with me. GOD DAMMIT! Atleast I had loads of ammo! :D

Chapter #5 - The freeze room was quite tough, but I did hardcore the next day after I did Zealot, so I kind of knew when they were going to spawn.

Chapter #6 - I should have saved here, I died once, restart 6 fricking chapters again.

Chapter #7 - Okay, I've had enough of this shit, I should save.

So, yeah, I'm still on chapter 7, but atleast I saved!

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 8 - Everything went fine

Chapter 9 - I nearly got my ass kicked

Chapter 10 - The Ishimura is easy... except the quarantine part

Chapter 11 - It went well...

Chapter 12 - It's better for me to save now...

Oh, and by the way, apparently there's a glitch on the PC version, that lets you do more than 3 saves. Screw that, I'll just use 3 saves.

Once I felt trough the elevator and the map and died :facepalm:
But got my saves on 6 (end), 9 (end), 13 (end)
First section: 2,5 hours
Second section: 2 hours
Third section: 3 hours
Last: working on later
I could done my save on 10,11 with the second save.
What really cool is that I have about 250'000 credits yet ^_^
And I am really proud that I got it til 3rd save without any help of glitches, videos, bonuses or extras. And I did not play the game for more than 2 years :)
Needed two and a half days training.

By the way I played on a small old TV. I couldn't read the numbers on the inventar/menu, heee.. :P

Edit:
Last Sector: 0,5 hours
The 3rd and last section was really easy because I saved so much money/ammo and heal packs. Reason I tried to perfect the beginning to have it easy later on :P

Edited by Dennis-nine-five

• 1 month later...

When I did this Hardcore run, I used my saves at the beginning of ch.6, ch.10, and ch.13

Death #1-3 At the very beginning of the game. I ran into a necromorph and it gibbed me. It happened 3 times lol

Death #4-6 Straight after my first save (beginning of ch.6) where you have to fight off 6 leapers and 2 fat guys. God, I hated that part. Again, died 3 times...at least.

Death #7 At the classroom where you have to deal with dozens of crawlers. I miscalculated the distance between it and me, then pretty much blew myself up.

Death #8 Same as Death #4-6

Death #9 Where you meet the first brute. after amputating its arm, it was trying to shoot out a pod at me. I tried to kinesis the pod and shoot back, but failed.

Death #10 Before you align these solar panels. I panicked when I saw one of these Elite necro charging at me, and got gibbed.

Death #11 Before you fix the tram thing at chapter 9. I have no idea why I got killed there, but apparently there was some kind of explosion behind my back.

Death #12 Near the end of Ishimura chapter, I ran out of bullets, and pretty much got t-bagged by Elite leapers.

Death #13 Halfway through ch.13 where you have to dodge your way through these laser beams......should have been more patient.

Death #14 mother$!@#ing eyeball poke section. ugh.

Death #15 Last but not least. !@#$ing flying sequence after you destroy the marker. I nearly broke my controller then.

Anyway..... Thinking about it now, it was still a good fun. I will probably do it again next time.

Edited by jaeik2541

I played through from chapter 5 all the way to the end and died flying into a rock...2 seconds from the trophy!!!   Don't know why I didn't save but after trashing the place I calmed down and got the plat with saves at chpt 5, 10 & 13.  Had an easier time with the DS3 hardcore run...   :)

• 5 months later...

I didn't realize this till just now, but I never died after I saved. Oh, the irony.  :blink:

1. Insta-killed by the Tormentor in Ch. 5, forgot the force gun couldn't hurt his arm.

2. Killed by the Pack in Ch. 3, screwed up a weapon switch.

3. Killed by Slashers after the hospital lockdown in Ch. 1, some truly horrible TK work.

4. Killed by two Exploders outside the church in Ch. 3. One spawned right behind me, giving the other one time to close while I was down.

Don't remember the other 2 or 3 deaths, except that they all happened before Ch. 6 (did this all in one day, and stuff started getting blurry at this point). I actually thought the game got easier after about Ch. 10, although I may have just finally hit my stride. My saves were in Ch. 6, right before the fight in front of the church, Ch. 9, right before the Tripod nest, and Ch. 13, right before the laser room. Full disclosure, I have all the DLC and didn't hesitate to use it. To those of you who got the trophy without it, my hats off to you, but you're all crazy! :D

As soon as i could, I grabbed DLC variants of the Plasma Cutter, Force Gun, Contact Beam, and Seeker Rifle, and used them solely. The force gun was my workhorse, I spent pretty much all my money on power nodes and force energy (sooo much force energy). I also used various DLC suits till I got the Advanced Suit, then finished the game with that. Other than using the DLC items, I beat the whole thing with no cheats or glitches. Yay me! It really helped playing through the whole game 3 times before starting hardcore, I practically had the game memorized by then.

Edited by Onslaught524

• 4 months later...

Damn this is hard!

I played this game three years ago and finished everything except hardcore run....So I finally decided to go for it two night ago.

After couple of stupid mistakes in the first chapters I fell into a rhythm and cruised at the end of the chapter 5. I could have made in more into chapter 6 but I was nervous of Tripod dragging  sequence as well as the end of it in the space, so I decided to save it there.

Last night I failed miserably at every attempt I made. So far my nemesis is chapter 6.

#1 - I died at my first encounter with 6 leapers, coming in pairs....I let them get too close to me and they chopped me in pieces.

#2 - At cargo area, a group of chargers are going at you, I knew what I needed to do but somehow one crawling charger sneak up on me and killed me.

#3 - At gym/theater area, got clobbered by pack plus exploding babies. At that time I refused to use detonator mines but I learned better now.

#4 - Passed chapter 6, was sweating because of coming elevator ride, but I has 23 detonator mines, used 18 of them on Tripods and cruised in that sequence with ease...I was feeling good, playing through chapter 7 and came to big room with fucking breakable window and security lasers. Window got broken, I had ONE chance to shoot it to close... I missed, 3.5 hours of gameplay also out of the window....frustration and despair.

It`s a learning process, I know, but still it hurts....

Edited by Radebe78

Again had extreme difficulties to pass chapter 6, died last night several times (killed by chargers, Brute, and other monstrosities...).

Finally I got somehow passed chap 6 and went on 7 and 8 without too much problems. Couple of nervous fights, and also I collected a nice pile of those power nods as well as credits...So when I reached chapter 9 I decided to make my 2nd save here.

I know that I could have gone a little bit further but I was very nervous to lose my good progress so far, with nice amount of credits and nods....so I saved it. Whooof...talking about relief. New goal is to pass next four chapters and save it at the start of chap 13.

We`ll see how difficult will that be! :)

Edited by Radebe78

Finally made it to Chapter 13, saved at the beginning. Woooof talking about relief.  xD

The Elevator ride at the end of Chapter 11 and Drill ride at the end of Chapter 12 were extremely stressful and nerve-wrecking, intense beyond anything that I felt recently while gaming. Such a gem this game is, pure survival horror at its best.

Now final roller-coaster starts, hopefully this evening I will earn my platinum, probably the hardest of them all.

Edited by Radebe78

• 3 months later...

i have finished the previous game dead space 1 (got the plat) and am about to start dead space 2. reading all these horror stories about hardcore mode has me really worried frown.gif i couldnt have passed impossible mode on ds1 without the stasis cheat.

are there any similar cheats in ds2 that can help in hardcore (as in press menu and press a combo of buttons to unlock something)?

this may be the first time i might need to give in to getting the plat if this game gets too hard

Edited by Stevieboy

i have finished the previous game dead space 1 (got the plat) and am about to start dead space 2. reading all these horror stories about hardcore mode has me really worried frown.gif i couldnt have passed impossible mode on ds1 without the stasis cheat.

are there any similar cheats in ds2 that can help in hardcore (as in press menu and press a combo of buttons to unlock something)?

this may be the first time i might need to give in to getting the plat if this game gets too hard

Nope -- no stasis cheats or anything in DS2. The only possible exploit is one relatively complicated and time-consuming node duping glitch in Chapter 1.

I'll be starting my HC run tomorrow. Just completed my Zealot training run a couple minutes ago. I'll be posting all my failures in here for everyone's amusement.

Edited by Stevieboy

Nope -- no stasis cheats or anything in DS2. The only possible exploit is one relatively complicated and time-consuming node duping glitch in Chapter 1.

I'll be starting my HC run tomorrow. Just completed my Zealot training run a couple minutes ago. I'll be posting all my failures in here for everyone's amusement.

Prepare to be traumatized from the intro ;)

I've seen it many many times before I finally achieved the savepoint in chapter 6.

Btw don't use the glitch, because you will die anyway if you are not familiar with the levels and the enemies,

therefore the glitch is just wasting your time.

If there would be one in chapter 5 or 6, that would be great but

chapter 1 is just stupid and I never used it. I also never understood the outrage from discovering this glitch,

because how I said it's pretty much pointless.

Here goes nothing. I'll include the chapter of death, how I died, and a "lesson learned" (LL) from my failure.

Started: 8:00 PM.

Ended: 12:00 AM.

Total Time: 4 hours.

Target save locations: Start of chapter 5 (cryo rooms), start of chapter 9 (right after meeting up with Ellie & Stross), chapter 13 (immediately after the drill ride).

(1) Chp. 1 - Everything was going pretty well up until the boss. He jumped on me twice. LL: Don't *sprint* backwards, *walk* backwards.

(2) Chp. 2 - Laundry room. Spawns were difficult/unexpected. Even sent the puke back at the puker and it *didn't* insta-kill him, but it *did* take off his legs? Never seen that before. Weird. Used up all my stasis and got wrecked. LL: Nothing -- spawns are bitch. (On subsequent attempts, I actually changed my positioning. I was originally positioned near the machines (like Wolf does in the videos everyone links to). I moved to the back near the door you leave through. Keeping everything in front of me helped.)

(3) Chp. 2 - In the first room (conveyor belt) with the Exploders. Got through three no problem, but the fourth showed up behind me for the first time (it has always shown up on the other side in my prior playthroughs). LL: After killing the third, move to the middle of the room so I can figure out where the last one is coming from.

(4) Chp. 2 - Died hanging off the back of the train. Just got overwhelmed. LL: Nothing. This one sucks. This is the first one to piss me off.

(5) Chp. 1 - Was still pissed off and playing reckless as hell. Screwed up almost every section a little bit. Ended up dying to the first set of Pukers. Fucking glad of it if I'm being honest.  LL: Don't play pissed off. Fuck.

That's it for me today. Clearly, I am a piece of shit gamer because even those of you who made it seem like you are terrible at this game were making it through these first chapters relatively easily. I'm 5 attempts in and not even 50% of the way to my first save point -- which is exceptionally early compared to everyone else.

Edited by Gryfer
  • Like 1

ROUND II

Three attempts today. Starting from scratch because I didn't get to a save point last time. I feel like crap so I'm guessing this won't be one of my better runs, but might as well try.

I'll include the chapter of death, how I died, and a "lesson learned" (LL) from my failure.

Started: 8:00 PM.

Ended: 12:30 AM.

Total Time: 4.5 hours.

Target save locations: Start of chapter 5 (cryo rooms), start of chapter 9 (right after meeting up with Ellie & Stross), chapter 13 (immediately after the drill ride).

(1/6) Chp. 3 - Immediately before the first zero-G area. I got ammo greedy and tried to stick the Exploder instead of killing him easily when he was farther away. I had full health, but I guess he was just close enough. I'm getting numb. LL: Don't be greedy at that spot.

(2/7) Chp. 1 - Lockdown room. Still pissed about last death and just playing dumb. LL: I'm a fucking fuckwad.

(3/8) Chp. 5 - Made it to my first save point, surprisingly. I wanted to die early on and just go to sleep but told myself I would give it a third attempt. Things went generally pretty well except for a few bits. Lot of rooms had me improvising a little bit (like the lockdown room) but they just kinda worked out. Laundry room was ugly and the open room at the very end of Chapter 3 wasn't the prettiest either. I've never done worse in the Stalker room than this run; same with the final room before Chapter 5 (I did shockingly poorly in that room -- ended up using 7 Line Gun shots in that single room, should have been 3). All that said, I think I'm in pretty decent shape going forward. I'm literally mimicing almost everything Wolf does in his videos, so all's good. Glad I'm done with the beginning. Quarter done -- yay.

As an aside, why does it seem like I die at *literally every single difficult area* the first time through it? At this pace, it'll take me 70 attempts to get through this bitch.

Gonna cut down to one attempt per day from here on. Otherwise, I'm probably going to break this fucking game disc and probably get a divorce.

• Like 1

why not use a youtube guide vid to help guide you?

i am still going through my very first run on normal. two parts which i know will be hard is meeting the brute for the first time and going back to the same room and getting chased by running babies and necros. but for the latter i am told that if you keep running, after a set time the door will open. i am now at chapter 9.

after completing normal, i might do a newgame+ on normal to hoover up remaining trophies. then start my 'training' for hardcore - working through survivalist first, then zealot, both on a fresh run, then hardcore. hopefully by then i will be more efficient and confident.

Edited by rockstarjazz